• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am a nervous wreck when my favorite sports teams are playing an important game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

I'm the same, mainly with the Golden State Warriors or Kentucky basketball. Especially with Kentucky since college bball is one game elimination in the post-season.

It's honestly not fun watching, but I can't imagine ever not watching.

Fandom is...a weird thing.

You're not alone when Lebron was down 3-1 I couldn't dread even thinking about the game knowing he could lose. I went to sleep right before the gaames happened so I could just wake up and it would be over

PillarEN

That's the fun part about sports. Drama that translates into physical feelings in you. Cry laugh, scream, hoot. It's awesome when big games come around for a team you love.

I can't go to a bar or anything to watch these Cubs games with other people. I am way too emotionally invested to trust myself to not be an a disaster emotionally either positive or negative.

You're not alone.

cr0w

Old Member
I'm the same way with the Cubbies, OP. I left Chicago in '94 and am in Houston now, but this year especially I'm a nervous wreck at game time.

SugarDave

I figured most avid sports fans are like this? I barely pay attention to sports and even I get fidgety when a game I have a passing interest in is on.

Vimes

That's the fun part about sports. Drama that translates into physical feelings in you. Cry laugh, scream, hoot. It's awesome when big games come around for a team you love.

Yup, I only watch international football/soccer and esports, but that's the real fun. Nothing bores me more than a game where nothing is on the line.

A lot of sports fans are like this

I was sad as hell when the Lions lost to the Cowboys a few years back.

Also when the Vikings lost last season.

And when San Antonio lost Game 6.

Shaq-Kobe era and all of the comebacks (Portland being the biggest and best).

But this is common--it's good to have a few years off.

Euron

Avid New York Giants fan here, even in the 2011 season where they:

1. Swept AFC East
2. Swept the Cowboys
3. Actually beat the Eagles
4. Beat the 15-1 Packers at Lambeau
5. Beat the 13-3 Niners at Levi
6. Delivered sweet justice once more upon Brady and Co in the Super Bowl

I faced tons of stress watching the games. This fucking team has taken years off my life. Football and Baseball are the worst for this since the situation in the game can change at any moment. It's very stressful yet this is why I watch.

CrazyDude

I've always found this extraordinarily weird.

The feeling likely comes from having a lack of control over the outcome. You are watching other people try to accomplish a win and you have no input in it despite also wanting the same thing.

you just havent experience enough soul crushing, hope destroying, will to live killing blows by your teams to become numb to that yet

you will

Malvolio

This happens to fans of teams that only have important games every 10(0) years or so. I suggest switching allegiances for your own health.

orochi91

As a Toronto sports fan, I've become detached from the teams, considering our perennial mediocrity and inability to win.

The Jays in particular disappointed me this year, since they'll never be able field a potent team like this again for years due to the impending free agents this off-season.

Losing to a team that's missing 3 starting pitchers and getting shutdown by rookies??? That's a new low.

I think I might stop watching sports altogether, it's too depressing, lol

Allforce

I was a lot like OP until I sort of had that "moment of clarity" in the 2013 ALCS when David Ortiz hit a grand slam against my Tigers. Sick to my stomach and couldn't sleep for like 3 nights.

Said "enough" after that, wasn't worth the stress. I still watch but if they lose, they lose. Nothing I can do about it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
always thought american sports were populated giant too-big-to-fail franchises where the match is secondary to the length of your hot dog.

seeing your football club flirt with relegation knowing that they're suffocated by a ludicrous wage bill and failure to scrape a win means going down with unpayable debts and potential liquidation, that'll put the wind up you.

there are three ways to watch your club: inebriated, in agony and inebriated while in agony.

I'm a panthers fan. Imagine how I feel. I don't even want to watch football anymore this season.

Last year, on our 14 game winning streak, I kept saying "my heart can't take this". This season I say the same thing for different reasons.

I'm a season ticket holder for the Colts so I can definitely get pretty anxious and feel my stomach clench in close games.

But I'm trying to get better at not letting it ruin my day or make me feel terrible.

Regginator

I used to be a huge Real Madrid fan, though that love severely cooled down when Raul and other icons left the club, but that's beside the point. During the El Classicos with Barcelona, I was a fucking wreck just before and during the game.

Tagyhag

I don't really sulk when my teams lose but I'm always like "Well, that sucked".

I get what you mean though, penalties make me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack.

LNBL

Pfff man, this reminds me of 2005 :(

My football team (soccer if ur American) PSV Eindhoven from the Netherlands, made it to the Semi finals of the Champions League tournament. So this is a tournament in which the top placed teams from big and small European national leagues compete in for a trophy.

Dutch football has been declining steadily in comparison to other countries where big TV sponsorships etc are enabling those teams to earn millions in extra income, whereas Dutch clubs are kinda screwed in this regard. So for a team from the Netherlands to make it to the Semis is already a big deal, something that has not happened since! We were playing AC Milan for a place in the final and lost because of a goal in the dying minutes of the match. Never felt so sad and gutted in my life :( :(

Shares the spot with The Netherlands losing the World Cup final against Spain :(

shira

Never gambled on sports except for the usual $20 or beer with a friend when the bears play my friend's team

ROFL, never gambled except the usual gamble

It don't matter how much you gamble, the fact that you gamble and have gambler symptom's on something like $20 says alot

Hellix

I'm a panthers fan. Imagine how I feel. I don't even want to watch football anymore this season.

Last year, on our 14 game winning streak, I kept saying "my heart can't take this". This season I say the same thing for different reasons.

The highest high from one season to the lowest low the next. Season isn't done yet but pretty much can't lose any more.

datruth29

The Yankees losing the 2001 World Series is legit in my top 3 saddest moments of my entire life.

Likewise, the comeback win in the 2003 ALCS is one my top 3 happiest moments of my life.

IceIpor

I can't get invested in any team sport because I have no influence on who or how they play.

It'd be nice if my city's team ever won anything ever again though.

I was on the highest of highs as the Niners crept their way back for what seemed like one of the greatest comebacks in SB history only for this to happen. I was a wreck for the next week...

20130203_jla_ah6_446.0.jpg

I'm like this whenever Newcastle are playing. The worst is when we are winning by a single goal, because no team on earth has the capacity for self-destruction and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like the Toon.

This is what makes sport great.

The only time I got sick is when Oregon lost to OU in the Elite Eight, I really liked the Ducks chances of winning it all last season. Especially hurts when your brother is a HUGE Sooners fan. 😩

bebop242

I wasn't nervous about this last game, everything favored the Cubs. I think we win game 6, but if it goes 7, then yeah I'm going to be a wreck all day Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom