• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm pretty sure that Doom Eternal's combat ruined my excitement for spectacle and combat in every other game, am I alone in this?

amigastar

I've finished Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence. Is that good?
Anyways Doom Eternal gets my vote, its gory and fast and fluid.

Last edited:
It’s not only my favorite game in the fps genre, but in my top 10 games of all time. And I don’t really like/play many fps games. Eternal is special tho.

Reinstalled earlier this year to play it again and made a “difficulty play order list” for a nice curve, this is what I came up with *roughly* using release order as a guide

Campaign
ML Arc Complex
Ancient Gods 1
ML Super Gore Nest
Ancient Gods 2
ML Mars Core
ML Taras Nabad

Felt like a pretty good progression curve difficulty wise. Will likely do it again next year. The itch this game scratches can’t really be solved by anything else. It’s unique and special.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Doom Eternals is the best fps evers Metroid Dread has saames air dash and air jumps in 2D as Eternals

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Doom Eternal is a generic arena shooter with restrictive gameplay elements and leans too far into arcadey bullshit. The soundtrack by Mick Gordon is a rip off of industrial metal bands from the 90s.

Doom Eternal sucks shit out the asshole of Ghandi
Doom eternals gameplay is not restrictive at all. You just have to learn its systems to get there. Once get over that hump that it's one of the most free first person shooter's out there.

Its got Way Way Way Way more freedom than Doom 2016.

Eternal has fun freedom too not boring Doom 2016 freedom. (Why can't I complete the game just using one gun crybaby freedom)

And you can get there I've beaten nightmare multiple times with a controller. I'am an average player at best I will die hundreds of times on a souls game. If I can you probably can too.

Yeah, I absolutely love the combat in that game too but rogue-like stuff just kills the momentum for me. I wish there was a way to play this game like a regular, linear shooter, lol.
How far did you get in Returnal? It's got a bit of a hump to get over but once you get over it you can feel like a God. You will start to feel sorry for the enemies.

What brain dead system?
This was my question too lol. Wonder if they haven’t played it and only seen footage of the hollowseeker rifle. Because that was actually the first footage I saw too and thought aiming was unimportant but once you play you realize it’s only one gun that I don’t even tend to pick up anymore.

Last edited:

unlurkified

One of my favorite games of all time too OP. I feel you. Kinda like trying to enjoy the combat in another rpg after playing a souls game. Not many single player games get your adrenaline pumping as hard. Sounds like you may have played too much though and just need to give your brain a break and detox by playing games more aimed toward delayed gratification.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
One of the best action games of all time.

Still has some flaws - the totally lame extended platforming sections and god awful bosses in both the main game and the DLC.

Ulysses 31

Not at all, went back to Doom 64 on a HDMI modded N64 and had more fun with that.

And I played through main campaign and DLC 1 on Nightmare.

As a Doom game I didn't like it, if it nothing to do with Doom perhaps I wouldn't been more favourable to it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
How far did you get in Returnal? It's got a bit of a hump to get over but once you get over it you can feel like a God. You will start to feel sorry for the enemies.
I made it to the end of the second level. After that I gave up because having to repeat a portion of the first level and then the entire second one just to get another shot at the boss was just too annoying. Even Souls games had more courtesy than that when it came to schlepping from last bonfire back to the boss arena.

I don't know about you but I just played doom remake jus to see what it's all about and my reactions is ... Eh.

I don't like the constant struggle of doing melle kills for health/ammo etc. It just disrupts the flow of the game. I actually enjoyed doom 3 more.

Is it just me?

Yes, you are so alone with this it's not even funny. I grew up playing QW, Q2 and Q3A. New hipster Doom seems slow in comparison. And no it didn't ruin other games for me.

I made it to the end of the second level. After that I gave up because having to repeat a portion of the first level and then the entire second one just to get another shot at the boss was just too annoying. Even Souls games had more courtesy than that when it came to schlepping from last bonfire back to the boss arena.
Ah so still at the hump the beginning is definitely the hardest.

If you ever want to give it a second go don't play it like a souls game I.e. running to the boss as quick as possible.

You want do as much as the first level as possible to strengthen your character and get a good gun.

Then try and level up weapon traits these are the only thing that can carry over from run to run. The true fun in returnal is trying out all the late game weapon traits some of them are ridiculous.

Try not to worry about dying eventually you will get a godlike weapon that would make the Doomslayer envious!

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ah so still at the hump the beginning is definitely the hardest.

If you ever want to give it a second go don't play it like a souls game I.e. running to the boss as quick as possible.

You want do as much as the first level as possible to strengthen your character and get a good gun.

Then try and level up weapon traits these are the only thing that can carry over from run to run. The true fun in returnal is trying out all the late game weapon traits some of them are ridiculous.

Try not to worry about dying eventually you will get a godlike weapon that would make the Doomslayer envious!
Yeah, I know that it's essentially just an instinctual response to losing or whatever, but I just get so frustrated when I do a run that lasts like 90 minutes and I'm doing pretty well, and then I suddenly die due to a stupid mistake. It's really difficult for me to get over that frustration, lol.

But who knows, maybe one day I'll get over the hump as you call it. It happened with Dark Souls, which I used to hate, so it will probably happen with Returnal.

I've finished Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence. Is that good?
Anyways Doom Eternal gets my vote, its gory and fast and fluid.
Yeah, I would say so. I remember a lot of people saying that they had to drop to normal because they couldn't handle it. It's probably a common trap for beginners because Doom 2016 was really easy in comparison and Ultra-Violence in that game only got somewhat problematic towards the very end of the game.

dcx4610

DOOM is one of those games I had to hype myself up to play. You knew you were going to get a tense, adrenaline rush experience. That’s very unique in gaming and I’m surprised they recaptured that feeling from the original.

It didn’t ruin FPS games for me though. If all them were like that, it would be too much. For DOOM, it’s perfect.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Having recently played through the Shadow Warrior reboot from 2013, it’s interesting the comparisons you can draw to 2016 and ultimately Eternal. Shadow Warrior (at least the 60fps PS4 version) was also extremely fast moving (with a melee emphasis) and an ultraviolet “lighthearted” silly tone. Wondering if the iD guys looked at that after the COD Doom got scrapped 🤔

2016/Eternal really has made me retroactively dislike most FPS campaigns 😆

That first Shadow Warrior was really great though.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know Destiny can get there, I have played those moments with it. The problem is it takes TONS AND TONS of grinding to reach those highs in Destiny. Once you're there it is magical but it's not worth the time investment of the pursuit when id Software exists.

Do you only like single player? Quake Champions is a great time.

I will say that you can eventually get tired of it and prefer something more relaxing. I played Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament at an extremely high level for years. Esports structure wasn't developed then like it is now so I can't be sure where I really stood but in Quake 3 (where I first took this screenname actually) I was able to beat players from what was thought to be the 3rd ranked clan in the world. Never got opportunities higher than that. But I did tire of it, chilled out, played JRPGs and other genres, tried tactical shooters that put various limits on movement and accuracy like Rainbow Six. Now I go back to those frenetic shooters and I'm still capable, but it's not something I need.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Do you only like single player? Quake Champions is a great time.
Yeah, I actually do like it but it either suffers from a massive cheater problem, or the servers are simply populated by people who basically play nothing else besides Quake, and have been doing it for the past 30 years. Because I refuse to believe that I would be this bad at an arena shooter when that's pretty much what I grew up on.

Yeah, I know that it's essentially just an instinctual response to losing or whatever, but I just get so frustrated when I do a run that lasts like 90 minutes and I'm doing pretty well, and then I suddenly die due to a stupid mistake. It's really difficult for me to get over that frustration, lol.

But who knows, maybe one day I'll get over the hump as you call it. It happened with Dark Souls, which I used to hate, so it will probably happen with Returnal.

Yeah, I would say so. I remember a lot of people saying that they had to drop to normal because they couldn't handle it. It's probably a common trap for beginners because Doom 2016 was really easy in comparison and Ultra-Violence in that game only got somewhat problematic towards the very end of the game.
This will be my last shrilling post for Returnal. The satisfaction you get from beating a hard dark souls is Doubled when you beat a boss in Returnal. Perhaps because of the greater time investment. Again if you manage to level up a couple of weapon traits it's not time wasted at least that how I felt.

It's actually not as hard as souls games just more punishing. It took me 50 to 70 deaths to beat. Malenia has definitely killed me more than that lol I am sure others have as well.

I had over 800 deaths to beat in comparison!

sigmaZ

I remember that very first time when I was playing the game and I was doing one of those bonus challenge rooms (the ones that you need a purple key for), and it was the first time during that playthrough when I experienced this visceral adrenaline rush that literally made me step away from the computer after it was over because I felt like my chest was about to explode and my hands were shaking.

There are so many battles in this game that can be overwhelming to the senses and to the brain by forcing you to process extremely high amount of information and make all those split-second decisions, and the battles can keep going for such a long time that your mind will start begging for a little bit of relief. However, at the same time, it puts you into such an intense state of arousal and focus that it's very difficult to just hit the Escape key and take a voluntary break from the action. That sense of exhilaration and satisfaction is just too good to stop. It felt like being on top of the world, kicking incomprehensible amounts of ass, and I couldn't believe in the pure insanity taking place on screen and the fact that I was still somehow pulling through and feeling like a total badass doing it. It was like a drug, man.

I must have played through this game like six times by now, and every time I kept pushing myself even harder with higher difficulties or Master Levels, but that feeling of absolute elation sooner or later had to start coming with diminishing returns, to the point where playing an insanely hectic and chaotic battle feels kinda ordinary now.

But what's even worse about this is that in the years following the release of Doom Eternal, barely any other game has managed to excite me, no matter how epic or crazy it got. I will just stare at the screen with a blank expression on my face thinking "wow, this would've blown my socks off 10 years ago" but overall I'm barely getting any excitement out of it. Obviously, I can still feel invested in emotionally resonant stories, but Doom Eternal was such an absolute peak when it came to providing a purely spectacle-driven adrenaline rush, that no other game since then managed to excite me as much as it probably should.
Battles didnt bother me too much except for how much time they took up.
The things that ruined the game for me were:
-The unnecessary hub world
-The cumbersome system upon system and corresponding UI
-The story approach being a complete 180 from the badass approach of the first.

clarky

Gold Member
Couldn't get on with it myself, I'm one of the minority (I think) that prefers the awesome 2016.

Neolombax

Gave it a fair go, its too demanding for me. I acknowledge its a great FPS, but I just cant keep up with everything going on.

a lot of people don't like Doom Eternal, primarily because it forces you to engage with these arbitrary systems where you have to use specific
weapons against a certain enemy because it's just programmed to do more damage

2016 is a much better game

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Sorry for the thread bump ... but I started playing Doom Eternal this week thanks to PS PLUS ... and hot damn this game is addictive... the gameplay is just so much fun .. the platforming is ass but aside from that the game is very very good .. and 120 fps is a must .. first game I really felt that 120 fps gave me a much better and fluid experience

I understand the complaints about the game but the weapon to enemy system and resources management really didnt bother me ...

Great game .. too bad a shitty company like MS has bought bethesda time to get a PC for the next one I guess

Last edited:
Top Bottom