• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am speechless....

The most influential RPG is real and is being released in March 2020 - Final fantasy VII Remake. I was also there to witness the reveal physically at the Sony Presser with a college friend back in 2015.

The most influential FPS game that always raises the bar for tech and storytelling - Half-Life is also finally getting back to doing its thing and is also releasing a full length Half Life in March of 2020 (Half Life Alyx)

Someone, please explain to me what the actual fuck is happening? Never ever did I think at any point in my life that Final Fantasy 7 Remake and a new Half Life title is being release in same month and also in same year as a new regeneration console cycles are about to roll in. What is this magic ??

Many will call me crazy but Half Life was the game that probably has THE most emotional attachment for me for the majority of my life. Starting with my dad bringing me a pirated CD of the russian market back in my country when I was still living there with my family at the age of 8. It was the most scary and immersive game to play at the time.

Fast forward to age of 14 in 2004 we got hit with another miracle year - World of Warcraft and Half Life 2 hit the PC market and shattered records and raised the bars on many levels once again.

Then of course EP1 and EP2 - Valve continued to evolve the engine and continued the phenomenal story. But then we have waited 12 years and here we are with Half Life Alyx.

Yes, call me a blind fanboy, but after seeing the trailer many times over and over I've decided to build a new pc from scratch. I did the same thing when Half Life 2 came out and now the time has come, because I am 100% confident that Half Life Alyx will move many VR units and once again raise the bar when it comes to tech.

So I've ordered these PC parts last nights. I do not give a fuck and I am not holding back.

CPU Ryzen 9 3900x
Nvidia GeForce Titan RTX
NVME2 SSD Samsung Evo 1 TB
MSI 570x Motherboard
Valve Index Full Kit

Didn't bother getting perhiparls cause I already have them. Just raw PC.

Somebody... please pinch me and wake me up from this dream.

Last edited:
You're not supposed to buy a new PC for FF7, you're supposed to do it for Cyberpunk. ;)

I saw Cyberpunk 2077 behind the scenes at E3 this year. To be quite frank, while it will be a great game for sure I think it is a tad overhyped imo.

And I am building a new PC for HL: A lol.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Some other people I've spoken to have also thrown up their hands and said, "Fuck it, guess I'm dropping 2 grand on a VR monster computer" After seeing the reveal. I also grew up playing Half Life but I'm a little bit more cynical, I want to see reviews before I rush out to buy VR.

Last edited:

Knch

I am still using the 970 and I would really like an upgrade soon
There will always be something new and better along just around the corner, upgrade when you want to and/or can no longer stand the shitty performance in new games you like to play.

mcz117chief

There will always be something new and better along just around the corner, upgrade when you want to and/or can no longer stand the shitty performance in new games you like to play.
So far I haven't gotten any bad performance in any video games I play but I was thinking about maybe VR or 1440p

Knch

So far I haven't gotten any bad performance in any video games I play but I was thinking about maybe VR or 1440p
Then you have no need to upgrade, unless you feel the need to swing your e-peen (or ... e-vageen) around and/or call other people on the interwebs poor plebians.

mcz117chief

Then you have no need to upgrade, unless you feel the need to swing your e-peen (or ... e-vageen) around and/or call other people on the interwebs poor plebians.
Perhaps....on the other hand I could crank up my settings a lot higher with better GPU. Luckily most games today still require quite modest recommended settings, my 970 is mostly slightly above recommended or is the recommended.

I didn't know it was coming out for PC?

I personally never said it was coming to pc or even implied because clearly its a PS4 only title. At least for now. I would be VERY surprised if it did not come to me PC later down the road tho and xbox.

I am building a new PC for HLA.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Early 2020 will be a very difficult time for me to decide what to play.

It really only comes down to three for me as all others can wait. I can probably squeeze HL between play sessions on one of the others.

Elden Ring
Cyberpunk 2077
Half Life Alyx

MiguelItUp

getting parts months before the game is released...
It's not uncommon at all, it's called preparation. :messenger_sunglasses:
Getting parts a week before black friday/cybermonday
This too. Best time to do this!

I actually just bought an Odyssey+ last night, so I'm ready! I wish I could shell out for a better and spiffier headset, but I'm still very grateful. From what I read the Odyssey+ is definitely worth the money, especially at half price! (Got it for $250, it's $500 new. Looks like a price cut across the board just recently dropped.)

Read about some minor issues with light bleed (that can be fixed with a foam replacement), the headphones can't be removed (kinda sucks, but not a big deal at all), and hand tracking can get lost when you're holding them behind your head (out of the camera's view) for a specific amount of time. But after many video reviews of it in action, I heard more pros than cons, so it just felt like a no brainer.

I've been sitting on the idea of getting VR for a couple of years now, feels good to finally pull the trigger.

I'm so excited to finally check out some VR games, while also being ready for Alyx. :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Flintty

Happy for you OP. I never played Half Life but I have the same emotional attachment to Halo (which is a good example of why a long break for the franchise could be a good thing, where 4 & 5 were OK but not up to the standard expected!).

Early 2020 will be a very difficult time for me to decide what to play.

It really only comes down to three for me as all others can wait. I can probably squeeze HL between play sessions on one of the others.

Elden Ring
Cyberpunk 2077
Half Life Alyx

When is Elden Ring actually coming?

That is what people said during the 1000 series, to wait for 2000. Am I ever allowed to buy a GPU?

he's doing a build for a game that isn't out yet. chances are, what is already out will not be supply constrained and will very likely be cheaper when it releases. or something better might be out

if you are already gaming on PC, you can upgrade whenever really. the limited VRAM on that 970 is likely holding you back already on newer games. personally i'd sell the 970, grab a 1070 for super cheap and wait for the 3000 series, but that's just me

Last edited:
I personally never said it was coming to pc or even implied because clearly its a PS4 only title. At least for now. I would be VERY surprised if it did not come to me PC later down the road tho and xbox.

I am building a new PC for HLA.

Fair. I was genuinely wondering. Thought I missed it. Enjoy the new PC!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like the way you roll, OP. Right there with you with your emotional ties to FFVII and Half-Life.

Fbh

I'm happy for you OP, enjoy your new build :D

I didn't know it was coming out for PC?

It was announced as "play it first on Ps4" so it's already confirmed to be a timed exclusive. And based on other releases it's almost guaranteed to come to PC.
But yeah, could be anywhere from a month to a year or more after the Ps4 version launches. Right now the only platform you are guaranteed to be able to play it during 2020 is Ps4

That is what people said during the 1000 series, to wait for 2000. Am I ever allowed to buy a GPU?

At some point you just have to buy things.
It's the same as when I needed a new Tv, first it was "wait for 4K to get cheaper!!" then it was "wait for tv's with decent HDR to get cheaper", then it was "Wait for OLED to get cheaper!!!!". Now it's probably "wait for microled or something to get cheaper!!"

Last edited:
I had a pretty mediocre experience with Radeon cards back in the early 2000s, compatibility issues were pretty common and disappeared when I started getting Nvidias.
That's pretty much non existent nowdays.
They make good cards that don't hurt the wallet. Like the 5700xt.

Top Bottom