• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I believe that a QUAKE reboot should be a Horror FPS, much more like DOOM3, and you?(let's talk)

HighPoly

Banned
Some of you, might think I'm crazy, but remember the fact that we already have Wolfenstein and DOOM as traditional 90's FPS games!
Well, I really want to see QUAKE being a kind of Horror FPS game... I don't know about you guys, but QUAKE 4 was amazing and near to a horror game.
Not like DOOM 3, but near as well...
I don't want to see another FPS like DOOM again! I'd like to see QUAKE exploring other type of games.
I know the first QUAKE was not a HORROR game, but what's the problem? DOOM 3 was a horror game even being originally a FPS...

What do you think? please, let's talk guys!

HighPoly

Banned
I'm one of those big Quake IV fans and I'd be happy if a Quake Reboot was based on that theme, I think it's happening and we'll see it at Quakecon.
can you imagine a HORROR QUAKE, with those biological machines from Quake 4, chasing you inside that industrial buildings, light effects, shadows, creatures!!

Sethbacca

I always used to play Quake exclusively for the mods and never the game, so I don't have a whole lot of nostalgia for it outside the multiplayer aspects. That said, I think if anybody could pull off a competitor to Destiny it would be iD and Quake would be the perfect franchise to do it with; especially where MS have been floundering in this area.

Last edited:

xVodevil

Quake 4 was great, Doom 3 was one of my first godlike experience of a modern release at the time as a teen.
Hell yeah go mix em up with that modern touch of Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein and go for GOTY! :D

Verchod

I played the original Quake more then the sequels, but I'd say the first one was fairly horror-fied. Maybe even the most horror focused of all of them. But they're all fairly action orientated.
Some of the enemies in the first quake were pretty damn scary. The Fiends ( think that's what they were called) which lept at you, scared the hell out of me, still do. The big dudes with the grenade launcher were crazy too.

badblue

I'm one of those big Quake IV fans and I'd be happy if a Quake Reboot was based on that theme, I think it's happening and we'll see it at Quakecon.

Horror Quake would be inline with the Strogg.

The Strogg: soulless fusions of decaying flesh, bones and metal, twisted and ruined by centuries of war. They search the galaxy for the sole item their existence requires, harvesting, consuming and destroying everything in their path.

Bartski

Gold Member
Makes no sense as Q1 had literally no plot nor story, it's dudebro in space shooting semi random monsters. That's close to a quote from Carmack in one interview I recall.
A new IP slower horror fps from ID - now that's different. I'd love to see that but now we know they're making a new Hexen.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The weird thing is that the nu-Doom games play a lot more like modern Quake 1 would be than anything else.

Makes no sense as Q1 had literally no plot nor story, it's dudebro in space shooting semi random monsters. That's close to a quote from Carmack in one interview I recall.
A new IP slower horror fps from ID - now that's different. I'd love to see that but now we know they're making a new Hexen.
Amid Evil.

Kokoloko85

Quake 4 was great, Doom 3 was one of my first godlike experience of a modern release at the time as a teen.
Hell yeah go mix em up with that modern touch of Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein and go for GOTY! :D
You had me at the first line. Dont want modern Doom and Wolfenstein gameplay in the mix

badblue

ah ok I thought this is about quake 1.
Quake one didn't have much of a story, which you were correct about. But it's easy enough for the devs to take the story of 2/4 to reboot Quake 1 to be more about the war with the Strogg. No one says a Quake reboot needs to be 100% faithful to the first game.

Calverz

I hope for a quake reboot that’s based on the original game. More focus on horror and the occult. I’m taking medieval castles etc. BUT, it’s got to have the fast paced gameplay. None of that slow doom 3 or quake 4 shit.

MiguelItUp

Quake one didn't have much of a story, which you were correct about. But it's easy enough for the devs to take the story of 2/4 to reboot Quake 1 to be more about the war with the Strogg. No one says a Quake reboot needs to be 100% faithful to the first game.
I dunno, I've seen people bring up a Quake remake/reboot that really leans into the whole Lovecraftian thing for several years now. There were even rumors that it was being talked about right before Carmack departed. I personally would be fine with it going either way, I'd just love to see Quake come back.

For the record, I loved Quake 1's vibe, but Quake II hit me harder because it was my first exposure to custom player sound packs, player models, skins, maps, and full on mods. It was around the time I got my first PC, so it all lines up, but there were great memories that I have. Honestly I'd be really happy with it being all Strogg focused too. Quake is due for some proper love, especially with how poorly Quake Champions was handled. I just want the tone to be darker, more mature, and just overall more serious than the DOOM remakes.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Doom 3 was boring and annoying. The only thing people remember from it were badly placed monster closets and a torch that didn't work.

HighPoly

Banned
The weird thing is that the nu-Doom games play a lot more like modern Quake 1 would be than anything else.

Amid Evil.
well, I hope studios are more inteligent than us... Cause I can't understand another FPS simular to DOOM 2016 and Wolfenstein

acm2000

sure, why not.

quake would make for an amazing solo campaign fps and thats most likely what is happening.

that brand new, freshly printed hexen tshirt tho.... he better be dropping hints.

MiguelItUp

It's possible to do both.
Lovecraftian monstrosities and techno-organic mutilated Strogg can exist together.
True and good point! It would be neat to see them blend the two together. Especially since some things in DOOM / DOOM Eternal almost looked Quake-ish, maybe even a little too much. So why not blend those?

Cattlyst

Absolutely not. Not that I don’t want a new Quake, but not based on Quake 2 or 4 with mechanical Strogg enemies. I want a total original Quake reboot with rain lashed, slimy castles and trees growing out of ancient keep walls. Lightning cracking through sky, wind howling through broken stained glass windows and then heavy metal kicking in as I open up a nail gun into a zombie knight as it swings a rusty sword at me. That’s the Quake reboot I want.

Laptop1991

I wouldn't mind, i really liked Doom 3 and also Quake 2, i played it on release, i was a little disappointed with Quake 4 though made by Raven i believe, it was ok don't get me wrong but not as good as the previous games, if it's like either Doom 3 or Doom 2016 i'll enjoy it, but not if it's like Eternal or Quake 3 Arena

Last edited:

amigastar

ID Software could really do wonders with a Quake reboot. I hope we get something this year.

Last edited:
You are correct the last boss was Shub-Niggurath. A lot of enemies got their design from the monster book to the pen and paper call of cthulhu Rpg. The shamble and the spawn for example.
You can't use that word. That's their word

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Nihilum

Give me fast paced Lovecraftian horror. I don't really care about the details too much although I loved Quake 1 and Quakeworld back in the day.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I bet it comes back as an MP only game with the mother of all season passes lol

Top Bottom