• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I believe that a QUAKE reboot should be a Horror FPS, much more like DOOM3, and you?(let's talk)

CamHostage

I read never able to care much about either Quake or rival Unreal until they became MP Arena Shooters, so to me, okay, whatever...

I don't rely think of Quake as horror though. It's got gross characters, but it's a battle franchise. (Doom was an uncomfortable fit as horror in Doom 3 too, but they found a way to make it work. )

Last edited:

CGNoire

What exactly are you asking for?

Just horror elements cause quake already has those?

If you mean survival horror or limited ammo then fuck no that would ruin the gameplay fans exspect?

If quake played like doom3 then it isnt quake.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nah, definitely not. Quake, and the first one in particular, is famous for three things: fast paced, arena-style gameplay, multiplayer deathmatch, and Trent Reznor soundtrack. Slowing it down to Doom 3's pace or making it into a strictly single player horror game is an all around bad idea.

For the campaign portion of it, I'd much rather they keep the intensity and speed but expand on the original ideas of pushing it into more of a dungeon crawling RPG territory but in a fast paced shooter format. Ditch the glory killing, character action style of gameplay because that's Doom's shtick now, and Quake needs to stand out with something more straightforward but still satisfying. The original was kinda slapped together at the 11th hour so a lot of it feels disjointed and unfinished, which means that this would be a perfect opportunity to make the game into what it was originally envisioned by John Romero, minus the hubris and rockstar lifestyle of the Ion Storm/Daikatana days. It has to stand out from the Doom reboot and I think that would be a decent direction to go in.

On the multiplayer side of things, it would definitely have to have a much stronger vision behind that doesn't try to copy stupid trends like lootboxes and hero shooter aesthetic, otherwise it will be just another Quake Champions.

I liked Doom3 and Quake4.
I don't like Doom 2016. Horror-ish, with fast movement does not work for me.
Doom should be a slower paced, frightening experience, desn't need to be slow af zombies slow, but hell and its monsters, horror needs stretches of silence to built up anything otherwise it becomes a constant dysfunctional jumpscare and Quake should be the fast one, in a space sci fi setting.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The original Quake should be seen as a template for a new iteration.

Eerie, fast, minimalist.

A dark and desaturated game with an otherworldly appearance. Fast paced. Maze like, interchanging levels with simplistic geometry.

A simple premise to set me up and as less exposition for a story as possible.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Uhm, what about Quake Champions?
Have you tried matching with players on that and getting active numbers? It’s shocking at least in SEA/Oceania region and we would wait for 20 minutes at a time and just reque with the same people.

I feel it wasn’t pushed or advertised at all and momentum wasn’t kept up, also launched at the same time as Fortnite and PubG for a complete death blow.

A new solid title, a new solid push, seasons, constant updates to keep the normies interested, maps are extremely easy to make and keep flowing some fine tuning and I think they’re onto something which would have relative low upkeep compared to CoD and Fortnite for the DLC dollars they could get out of it.

Nahhh, dump all that Strogg shit and give me the medieval castles, lava demon, and interdimensional lightning-throwing space-bear. Quake 1 is peak Quake in theme and gameplay.

Shodai

Random thought: Romero originally wanted Quake to me a melee kinda game instead of an fps - What if id did their take on a Dark Souls in the Quake universe.

A Souls & Quake fan can dream.

The original Quake with its gothic overtones was always my favourite in the series. I always thought the switch to space marines and aliens in the second and fourth game was very odd and while they were very enjoyable games in their own right, they never quite matched up to the original in my opinion.

Xdrive05

Well it does need to be meaningfully different from Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, obviously. But how exactly? Those games are Campaign tour de force focused, with the multiplayer being an afterthought by comparison. Makes me think the Quake reboot will unsurprisingly be a multiplayer focused affair. Hope I'm wrong though (just 'cause I'd like to see ample effort put into both this time).

Whatever that balance, it's gotta be fast and intense. The gameplay loop probably has to be fundamentally different though. Maybe they won't do the "glory kill" thing in Quake, but find another way to keep you pushing into the action to maintain health/drops?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How do you explain this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Apocryphon

I have been designing a Quake-alike for a couple of months. Unlikely to ever go anywhere but I figure it’d be fun to post here 😂

Plot Synopsis

An alien race from a distant planet in a parallel dimension invade Earth during the late Iron Age, using pre-historic slipgate technology that had been uncovered in Europe. The hordes are beaten back into the void and the known slipgates were sealed, but not before the xenos had acquired a swathe of weaponry and kidnapped legions of human warriors, priests, and smiths. Corrupted by a plant-like parasite queen that had already subjugated large numbers of the native fauna in the parallel dimension, the humans were put to work, building weapons and fortifications from which to launch future incursions of Earth and other worlds.

1500 years pass on Earth, hundreds of unexplained massacres and disappearances; technology, flesh and minds ripped from our world; the Queen’s vast invasion force is almost ready.

The parallel dimension operates a wide range of simple to advanced machinery: water, clockwork, steam, and electronic computation power. All bastardized to serve the aliens barbarous needs.

In 2157 a military installation conducting investigative research into ancient gateways found at a subterranean archeological dig site goes silent. You are Raider. You and your team have been sent to secure the base and identify the sudden loss of communication.

You arrive to find that a hostile inter-dimensional force has taken over the facility and is in the process of kidnapping personnel, stealing research and materials, and transporting it through the gateway to their dimension.

Chapters

Purge the base of the monstrosities and secure the slipgate.

Travel through the gate to the Outerlands. Fight through wooden keeps, primitive stone castles, dungeons, swamps, forest's, caves, and mines, to reach The Damned City.

Enter The Damned City and fight through the prison, temple, factory, sewers to reach the Slipgate Complex.

The invasion of Earth has begun. Find a way to destroy the alien base and close the gateway.

Trapped alone on an alien world, descend into the dark caverns of the Beneath to confront an alien god and end the madness.

Weapons

1. PDW - Useful in the early game but gets progressively less effective as more resilient and armoured enemies are introduced. 3 round burst fire. 42 round magazine.

Relatively weak starting weapon that remains useful against unarmoured and flying enemies. Early game will see players combo the PDW and Incinderary Pistol against most enemy groups. Higher tier enemies may need to be weakened with the Grenade Launcher first.

2. Incinderary Pistol - using white phosphorus canister munitions. Round detonate 2-3 metres from the target and separate sub-munitions spread out like a shotgun blast. Projectiles set fire to enemies.

Homage to Blood’s flaregun. Fires a round that explodes 2 metres from the target and spreads like a shotgun shell, impacting enemies with white phosphorus pellets, setting fire to enemies hit.

3. Grenade Launcher - Short barreled hand portable grenade launcher that fires bouncing high-ex grenades.

As close to Quakes Grenade launcher as possible. Useful against high tier and armored enemies.

4. High-Calibre Ripper - Similar in design to the Quake 4 Nailgun with a P90 style transparent magasine, but fires 45-70-like rounds.

5. Double Double - Double-wide double barreled over under shotgun. Fires titanium slug-shot using rectangular shell cartridges.

Effectively 4x power. Good for stripping Armour or gibbing enemies. High power/low spread/medium range. Each barrel fires separately.

6. Plasma Rifle - A rapid firing plasma ball rifle. Plasma canister ammunition (think Doom 3). Rough around the edges. Overheating slowly damages player. Very powerful.

Similar in design to the Plasma Rifles from Doom 3 and Prodeus

7. Rocket Launcher - Point and shoot. Slower fire rate than the Grenade Launcher but longer range and much higher damage.

Design like the Q2 rocket launcher. 3-rocket magazine.

8. Lightning Gun - Battery powered man portable tesla rifle. Chain lighting, fires in a straight-ish line and sends a higher DPS surge every half second.

9. Air Fuel Canister Launcher - Designed to burn everything. Impact disperses flammable gel liquid droplets into the air and then they all ignite simultaneously. Incinerates most enemies caught in the propellant cloud, sets fire to the rest in the impact zone.

Enemies

Possessed human soldiers in multiple varieties.
Ogres with Morningstars and Crossbows
Armored Ogres with Flails and Grenade Launchers
Armored Ogres with Broadswords and Flamethrowers
A variety of medieval knight
Arcane blood magic wielding priests
Grimwolves
Armored Blunderbus Goblins
Spear Goblins
Invisible Clawed Goblins
Minotaurs
Chimera
Banshees
Armoured Gastornis Terror Birds
Chained Gigantopithecus

Quake 1 movement. Ambient sound only, no music. No ADS. No upgrades or unlocks.

If id are working on a Quake remake, I want something simple that focuses of straightforward combat and key finding. No bloat, a simple HUD, no unlocks or upgrades. I don’t need cutscenes or collectible lore. Give me brilliant level design, buckets of atmosphere, and amazing sound design. I definitely don’t want Strogg. I want a brutal and unforgiving (souls-esque in terms of difficulty) shooter that doesn’t have a bullshit ammo/ability economy like Doom Eternal.

Either that or I’ll just make my own version 😂

I would be open to what somebody else suggested too. A more horror focused Doom 3-type game.

It should be the Bloodborne of modern FPS.

- way more serious than Doom
- Runes should play a factor in customising your abilities
- discharging your lightning gun under water while having Pentagram of Protection should still be s thing
- Fluffy Shambler with next gen hair tech

That’s my wish list pretty much

As long as they do a proper MP, not this crap we got with new DooM games. Death matches, team deathmatches, capture the flags etc. Whenever I hear the name Quake or Doom I think of MP, the fact that they dropped the ball so bad with that part, even that burito Diego who said...nobody plays deathmatch anymore so they wont include it....wtf. Even though COD still has single and TDM to this day, not sure what he was smoking.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Doom 3 was a refreshing game in the series but I absolutely HATED the idea of surprising (and scaring) the player by spawning the monsters out of nowhere. It got old really fast. At the end of the day I liked Doom 2016 more - action-focused arena shooter without overcomplicating combat like in Eternal.

I'd be okay if Quake Remake was a boomer shooter with higher production values. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Well after the uhmmm lukewarm reception of Quake Champions (cough mostly developed by Saber Interactive cough) Id should probably do something different. The Doom reboots were fun and all and had a bunch of tech that showed how you can make a state of the art FPS game, for me personally I don't know what direction they will go, butt we shall see at quakecon

Top Bottom