• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Doom is 30 years old, how would you rank the games?

jayj

Banned
Doom turned 30 yesterday. How would you personally rank the games from favorite to least favorite?

My personal ranks:
1. Doom 3 - I think this is the game that pushed the series forward at a time when it really needed that, and I still think of it as a uniquely appealing entry in the franchise.
2. Doom 1993 - The game that started it all, and it still stands out to me as one of the most appealing classic sprite based FPS. A genre defining classic.
3. Doom 2 - The follow-up to the original Doom, probably better in some ways but it's just not as innovative or important, mostly just more of the same.
4. Doom 2016 - While never my favorite there is a lot that I like about this entry and I think it has aged particularly well with me, a good throwback to the first two in a sense.
5. Doom 64 - Only thing I really got against it is how it didn't really age that well compared to others. The first two have more of a timeless style.
6. Final Doom - This one felt like more of a level pack for Doom 2 than a full entry but I guess it's noteworthy and it's own release.
7. Doom Eternal - Definitely my least favorite, it felt like they really went in a different direction with an emphasis on platforming, melee abilities, and arena style battle areas.

I know there's more to the franchise but these 7 standout to me as the proper full entries to make a ranking list with.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
1. Doom 2016
2. Doom (1993)
3. Doom 3
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom 64

Never played Final Doom, and never beat Doom 2. The level design in Doom 2 is just too expansive and complex for my tiny brain.

dcx4610

I recently replayed through all of them so it's pretty fresh. I don't think I had ever beat DOOM or DOOM 2 without cheats as a kid. It was too much fun going God mode and just having all of your weapons. Actually playing them legit as fun, tense and still holds up.

1. DOOM
2. DOOM II
3. DOOM (2016)
4. DOOM Eternal
5. DOOM 64
6. DOOM 3

I like them all. Even though I ranked DOOM 3 last, it's still a good game but plays more like survival horror. That just didn't feel like DOOM to me. If you play Quake 2, that feels like more of what DOOM should be. Fast paced, frantic and impactful weapons.

StereoVsn

Doom OG 1993 release - it was just amazing when it came out.
Doom 2 - I liked the improvements and new maps
Doom 2016 - changes were quite fun
Doom 3 - with a few mods it was really good
All other Dooms
Doom Eternal - I was not a fan at all, from gameplay to platforming to more.

SpiceRacz

1. Doom
  2. Doom 2016 - Probably the best FPS of the past 10 years.
  3. Doom RPG - Best cell phone game ever.
  4. Doom Eternal - This one grew on me over time. I think the levels are overly long and the combat doesn't flow quite the same as 2016. With that said, it's still my favorite FPS since....Doom 2016. I'm also one of the weirdos that actually enjoyed the platforming sections.
  5. Doom 64 - The updated version from Nightdive is incredible. Modernized controls and improved lighting make this a way better experience than on N64. To me, this is the 2nd best of the "classic" Doom games. A masterpiece that deserves to be mentioned alongside the original.
  6. Doom II - Confusing, messy level design in spots. Really drags down the experience.
  7. Doom 3 - This was a graphical showcase at the time. I never finished it, but it felt like more of a horror game with a Doom setting.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ultimate Doom w/ brutal mod.
Doom Eternal
Doom 2016
Doom 3
Doom 2
FInal Doom

They're all pretty close. I initially liked Doom 2016 better than Eternal, but once I learned the mechanics Eternal can;t be beat.

phant0m

1. Doom 2016
2. Doom (1993)
3. Doom 3
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom 64

Never played Final Doom, and never beat Doom 2. The level design in Doom 2 is just too expansive and complex for my tiny brain.
Good list, correct order.

doom 2016 in my fucking veins

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
200.gif

Eternal makes you feel unstoppable

Pimpbaa

Doom 3 is number one on your list?!

1: Doom Eternal
2: Doom 2016
3: Doom
4: Doom 2
<insert life sized image of Lizzo here>
5: Doom 3

Ozzie666

Doom influenced the industory and the world in both negative and positive ways. It released during the 1993 congressional hearings on video game violence. hold my beer momenet. It's one of the most reknown trend setting games along side Mario brothers onthe NES and Mario 64 amongst others. It's a pivitol moment in gaming industury, a locked moment in time. The mad race to port the game to every system and the tragic efforts is legendary. Everyone and every system wanted Doom.

I have never seen anything like it with the exception of Mario 64 and World of Warcraft, in terms of breaking barriers. In 1993 it was the shit.

Original Dooms are still untouchable (frankly I always consider 1 and 2 to be basically one big game in my mind even though I fully appreciate the differences). Doom 64 is the true Doom 3. The actual Doom 3 isn't very good. New Doom is very very good. Eternal I haven't played but I just don't have the desire to bother.

Really need to check out Romero's new Doom episode he just released. Hell I really need to get back into original Doom period and play a bunch of wads I've missed out on.

Of the ones I've played (higher on list means I like it more):

• (Ultimate) Doom
  • Doom II
  • Doom (2016)
  • Doom 64
  • Final Doom (TNT: Evilution + Plutonia Experiment)

I haven't played enough through Doom 3 and Doom Eternal to fairly rank them.

Doom turned 30 yesterday. How would you personally rank the games from favorite to least favorite?

My personal ranks:
1. Doom 3 - I think this is the game that pushed the series forward at a time when it really needed that, and I still think of it as a uniquely appealing entry in the franchise.
2. Doom 1993 - The game that started it all, and it still stands out to me as one of the most appealing classic sprite based FPS. A genre defining classic.
3. Doom 2 - The follow-up to the original Doom, probably better in some ways but it's just not as innovative or important, mostly just more of the same.
4. Doom 2016 - While never my favorite there is a lot that I like about this entry and I think it has aged particularly well with me, a good throwback to the first two in a sense.
5. Doom 64 - Only thing I really got against it is how it didn't really age that well compared to others. The first two have more of a timeless style.
6. Final Doom - This one felt like more of a level pack for Doom 2 than a full entry but I guess it's noteworthy and it's own release.
7. Doom Eternal - Definitely my least favorite, it felt like they really went in a different direction with an emphasis on platforming, melee abilities, and arena style battle areas.

I know there's more to the franchise but these 7 standout to me as the proper full entries to make a ranking list with.
rbUZRhq.jpg

Ranking:
1. Doom 64
2. Doom 2
3. Doom 2016
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom 1
6. Doom 3
7. Mighty Doom

Badly want to play: Doom RPG 1 and 2

None of these games are bad games to me. Also, I played Doom 64 again recently as the remastered version and yea, it’s still my favorite Doom. Turn off the soundtrack and you’ll have a blast. I truly feel that the droning soundtrack of 64 is the biggest problem with that game.

When it’s nothing but silence and you hear the sounds of machinery and monsters in background areas(like a Souls game) it enhances the experience and the tension, especially when playing it on a harder difficulty.

DanielG165

Just based off the ones I’ve played:

Doom: 10
Doom 2: 10
Doom (2016): 10
Doom: Eternal: 10

I absolutely love these games, and the modern duology are FPS masterpieces.

Ranking:
1. Doom 64
2. Doom 2
3. Doom 2016
4. Doom Eternal
5. Doom 1
6. Doom 3
7. Mighty Doom

Badly want to play: Doom RPG 1 and 2

None of these games are bad games to me. Also, I played Doom 64 again recently as the remastered version and yea, it’s still my favorite Doom. Turn off the soundtrack and you’ll have a blast. I truly feel that the droning soundtrack of 64 is the biggest problem with that game.

When it’s nothing but silence and you hear the sounds of machinery and monsters in background areas(like a Souls game) it enhances the experience and the tension, especially when playing it on a harder difficulty.

Interesting perspective, I hadn't considered that before. I always thought the soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges complemented the atmosphere of Doom 64 very well. Still, even if the music was muted, the atmosphere would indeed be enough to carry the game.

Turning the music off in Doom 1/2 probably would not give that same tension. There is a great alternate soundtrack that was created for the PlayStation version of Doom. Coincidentally, it's also by Aubrey Hodges and can also be described as dark, mechanical ambience.

Interesting perspective, I hadn't considered that before. I always thought the soundtrack by Aubrey Hodges complemented the atmosphere of Doom 64 very well. Still, even if the music was muted, the atmosphere would indeed be enough to carry the game.
A few times it does compliment but most of the time I felt it hindered what the game was going for, especially since the soundtrack sometimes overpowers the sound effects of that game, when they are set to equal levels of volume and secondly, some of the tracks are way too short to where they loop too soon.

I always felt that Doom 64 was more of a horror game. One of the great things about horror is the usage of silence to build tension or bring a point across. We kind of lost this for a while until a game like Demon’s Souls came out. When a track is just non stop droning throughout a scary experience, it kind of removes that tension and can sometimes lead to annoyance.

There are multiple parts to the game where I feel silence compliments it better. Activating a switch that opens something far away for example, you can get a better grasp of where the contraption is without the music. Another example is monster jump scares. Doom 64 had quite a few of these and the creature would open a door or part of a wall next to you and yell out a loud roar. It is much more effective of a scare with silence.

Also, just being able to hear something lurking around the corner, shuffling footsteps, or the noise of a creature you’ve never encountered before echoing throughout the level, all compliments the game’s horror elements much better.
Turning the music off in Doom 1/2 probably would not give that same tension. There is a great alternate soundtrack that was created for the PlayStation version of Doom. Coincidentally, it's also by Aubrey Hodges and can also be described as dark, mechanical ambience.
You’re right about this, because Doom 1 and 2 felt more like action games compared 64. From the sound design to the way the levels looked and how they were set up, they are completely different experiences even if it doesn’t look that way at first glance.

Doom 64’s first level being nearly pitch black in lighting compared to Doom 1 and 2 should immediately show the difference, but some people still compare them 1:1 and get upset that it doesn’t have the original action packed soundtrack. Putting that music into Doom 64 would simply miss the point.

Ultimate DOOM (E4M2 is the Perfect Doom map, I also include SIGIL, amazing maps)
DOOM Eternal
DOOM 2016
DOOM 3
DOOM 64
DOOM 2
Final DOOM

thief183

Doom/doom2
Doom Ethernal
Doom 2016
Doom 64

I don't even wanna think about that piece of sht that is doom 3.

Hudo

I have to say:
Doom
Doom 2016
Doom 2
Doom 64
Doom Eternal
Doom 3

However:
Quake & Quake III (It's a tie)
Quake II
Quake 4

That being said;
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein 3D
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
Wolfenstein (2009)

Saber

Gold Member
Doom 2 being at top, followed by Doom 64 and at distance Doom 1.

In the middle Doom 3 Expansion. With some distance from Doom 2016 and Doom 3.

At the downside(garbage bin), Doom Eternal.

Last edited:

Phobos Base

1) Doom 2 - whilst the fact it looks so similar to the first game was a disappointment, the addition of several high tier enemies and the super shotgun completely mixed up the gameplay for the better.
2) Doom - the one that started it all and still fantastic fun to play. Yes not every level lands, but still a remarkable achievement in just how right the combat and movement feel.
3) Doom 64 - finally getting the love it deserves and manages to feel like a very different game with a great art style. Rather ironic that the game that didn't review or sell well due to being seen as dated has aged far better than most N64 titles.
4) Doom 3 - yes they ruined the shotgun and yes the monster closets get a bit tiresome after the 500th time. But it did something different and to me succeed, plus it has the best version of hell in any of the games.
5) Doom 2016 - a great reinvention of the series with some thrilling combat, although for reasons I've never figured out, I've never felt the desire to revisit it that often.
6) Doom Eternal - have to admit, when the honeymoon period wore off this dropped pretty far for me. My main problem is that everything gets turned up to 11 and it's just too much, too many mechanics that you have to use how the game intends. Oh and the platforming is awful and the story is just cringe.
7) Final Doom - shows how important good level design is. Whilst the fundamentals are still great, many of the levels are badly designed and the difficulty is often just unfair.

I played the originals and Atari Jaguar version. I had my fill by then so didn't get into Doom 64, surprised how much it's mentioned with how little the console sold.

1. Doom 2
  2. Doom 2016
  3. Doom 3
  4. Doom Eternal
  5. Doom 64
  6. Doom
Also, if you guys haven't, for the love of all things unholy, check out Brutal Doom or Project Brutality for Doom 2. It really adds so much to the game that it feels as fun to play as any modern game. Those mod packs are awesome.

I really enjoyed Doom 3 more than most of my peers at the time and it's kept a special place in heart for the franchise. I'm a huge horror fan, so Doom 3 perfectly hit at the right time for my age and I just fell in love.

1. *snip*

Name checks out.

Last edited:

Duchess

I'm playing through DOOM 3 right now, and have a greater appreciation for it than I did back in the day.

As far as ranking:

DOOM 1
DOOM (2016)
DOOM 3
DOOM 2
DOOM Eternal (do not finish - strongly disliked)

I think Doom 3 was great for what it was and it was creepy. DooM reboot was great too. OG DooM yeah its "cool" but I mean its old and ran over by so many games by now. I never understood this praise even today how its the best doom when even John Carmac himself said only the first episode holds up really well today and other episodes were just too abstract and weird and dont hold up as well. And yes, i did play OG at the time of release. Doom 64 is a pleasant surprise how much it was changed, basically a new game with even better engine.

DooM eternal I guess i did enjoy but just all those colors flying everywhere it felt like a kids game and not some hardcore horror shooter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom