• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought a Switch Lite...

It would be deeply weird if it never was. Persona 5 was on PlayStation 3, so it's not like there would be major technical hurdles. The series really made its name as a portable title. Switch basically owns not just Japan but all of East Asia right now. And they put Joker in Smash, if it's only to represent that Musou game, then yeesh.

Persona 5 Portable is money sitting on the table, I have a hard time believing it won't get a Switch version in the near future.

It would be deeply weird if it never was. Persona 5 was on PlayStation 3, so it's not like there would be major technical hurdles. The series really made its name as a portable title. Switch basically owns not just Japan but all of East Asia right now. And they put Joker in Smash, if it's only to represent that Musou game, then yeesh.

Persona 5 Portable is money sitting on the table, I have a hard time believing it won't get a Switch version in the near future.
I´m pretty, pretty sure P5 will come to the Switch in one form or another. Just give it some time and enjoy other titles in the meantime.

Thank you for bringing hope! I am really enjoying BOTW and I feel is already worth the investment.

So you bought a Switch Lite for a game that has not been confirmed to be coming to Switch. I'm going to go buy an Xbox Series X when it releases hoping that Suikoden 6 will be announced for Xbox Series X
Persona 3 -> Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 -> Persona 4 Golden

Persona Q was a 3DS title as well.

There's a clearly established pattern of portable revisions with the series.
Whereas Suikoden doesn't exist any more :/

EDMIX

...thinking P5 Royal will be ported eventually. Am I a fool?

Wait, do you own a PS4? Even vanilla?

Persona 5 also came out on the PS3 too if you own one.

I'm not saying you are a fool, but I have no clue why if you love that series, you'd proceed to buy a system that doesn't have it.

EDMIX

Between Fire Emblem and Tokyo Mirage, which is more persona-like? Thanks!

Tokyo Mirage, but to be fair, no RPG currently is near what Persona actually is as a concept, like student by day, leveling up by night etc

The cheapest and fastest way to play most Persona, imho might be to get a used PS3.

Persona 2, 3 and 4 are on PSN (original versions, no upgrades like you saw from PSP and PSVita versions)
Persona 5 is on PS3 as a disk and PSN.

Last edited:
Tokyo Mirage, but to be fair, no RPG currently is near what Persona actually is as a concept, like student by day, leveling up by night etc

But..that describes 3 Houses pretty well. (Okay, you're technically a teacher, but let's be real, your peer group is the high school students). The month to month calendar structure and the way s links -excuse me, support levels- work was very clearly lifted straight out of Persona. Even the way you answer the students' random questions is similar to answering the teachers' questions in Persona.

Last edited:

EDMIX

But..that describes 3 Houses pretty well. (Okay, you're technically a teacher, but let's be real, your peer group is the high school students). The month to month calendar structure and the way s links -excuse me, support levels- work was very clearly lifted straight out of Persona. Even the way you answer the students' random questions is similar to answering the teachers' questions in Persona.

Oh wow, I never knew that. Thought it was just a classic Fire Emblem title. Might look out for it when I buy a Switch then. Any think even semi like Persona is a buy lol

So you teach the students and the level up in battles after?

Wait, do you own a PS4? Even vanilla?

Persona 5 also came out on the PS3 too if you own one.

I'm not saying you are a fool, but I have no clue why if you love that series, you'd proceed to buy a system that doesn't have it.

I rushed through P5 on PS4, but I hope on playing P5R properly on a handheld (remote playing P5 on Vita is a hassle).

angelgs90

I would personally recommend you Luigi's Mansion 3.

(I hope Switch gets Persona 5 Royal in the future too, it fits perfectly with Switch's portability).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I know I am. It's just that after Witcher 3 got ported I thought everything was possible LOL
that's a totally different situation though. it's not like Witcher games were exclusive to Playstation or Xbox.

The mainline Persona games have been Playstation exclusive. Even the handheld versions like Persona 3 Portable + Persona 4 Golden were exclusive to Playstation. Of course, we don't have a new Playstation handheld so that's why Royal is on PS4 and they're bringing Persona 5 Scramble to Switch.

Scramble is a sequel to Persona 5 and looks really good but if you want to play Persona 5 you'll need a PS3/PS4 and if you want Persona 5 Royal you'll need a PS4.

that's a totally different situation though. it's not like Witcher games were exclusive to Playstation or Xbox.

The mainline Persona games have been Playstation exclusive. Even the handheld versions like Persona 3 Portable + Persona 4 Golden were exclusive to Playstation. Of course, we don't have a new Playstation handheld so that's why Royal is on PS4 and they're bringing Persona 5 Scramble to Switch.

Scramble is a sequel to Persona 5 and looks really good but if you want to play Persona 5 you'll need a PS3/PS4 and if you want Persona 5 Royal you'll need a PS4.

Good point. I'll try to keep my mind off P5R and focus on other Switch jrpgs. If by a miracle P5R ends up on Switch I shall consider it a cherry on top!

Oh wow, I never knew that. Thought it was just a classic Fire Emblem title. Might look out for it when I buy a Switch then. Any think even semi like Persona is a buy lol

So you teach the students and the level up in battles after?

That's right, You become a professor at a monastery where nobility from the three main nations on the continent send their heirs to train. You pick one of the three houses and then that becomes your squad. You set goals for them to train certain stats & abilities toward specific classes, hold lessons & teach one on one.

In between that, you can roam around the monastery, which works just like Inaba did in P4. You visit shops, complete social quests, talk to other students, meet with them for meals, cook together, have conversations over tea, etc. Between that and students helping each other in battle, They all build s-links with you and amongst each other, and there are multiple cut scenes you'll see for each of these relationships along the way. It goes way further than Persona does with it, because it's not only you, but they build between each of the students (like imagine if there was a parallel s-link progression between Yosuke & Chie, Chie & Yukiko etc.). You can even convince students to leave the other houses and join yours, and the developers put in relationships that develop between them and your students, so it feels natural that they're there.

You can choose to roam like that or undertake missions on weekends, building up your characters. Then at the end of the month there's a main story mission to progress the game which that month's story & dialogue has revolved around.

It was the game I got a Switch for and it's been worth it, there's an unbelievable amount of content.

It works just fine so does the touryst
Both work but you need vibrations for specific features. In The Touryst you need them to resolve an enigm from the main storyline, so it's blocking.
In LM3, you need them to find the Boos. Not blocking but still annoying to miss part of the collectibles.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Both work but you need vibrations for specific features. In The Touryst you need them to resolve an enigm from the main storyline, so it's blocking.
In LM3, you need them to find the Boos. Not blocking but still annoying to miss part of the collectibles.
Touryst gives visual hints too.
So does LM3

I don't remember where i read this.
But both games are just fine.

Lite is only bad for mario party , 1 2 switch and the labo stuff.

No rumble = better battery life. Hence no other handheld really had rumble build in.

Besides those quirky expansion slots & games with an extra battery

Ah I see. So if my kids wanted LM3 they could still finish the game on Lite barring collectibles?

Is this some kind of non-twitter version of Persona 5 port begging? Honest question.

Not exactly, just wanted to share my enthusiasm of finally owning a Nintendo handheld for a loooong time.

i dont think persona 5 is going to switch.

Yeah, I can still play it on PS4 but I rarely sit in front of tv for more than a few minutes anymore, unless for watching movies with wife and kids.

Play Tokyo Mirage.

Visually and stylewise it looks the closest to P5, I think. Definitely on my radar.

Touryst gives visual hints too.
So does LM3

I don't remember where i read this.
But both games are just fine.

Lite is only bad for mario party , 1 2 switch and the labo stuff.

I went through the touryst up to 94%, i enjoyed it a lot! Especially for the 8-bit era references, the tilt-shift cuteness and the exploration in limited spaces. But I have no clue of the visual references you're referring to. For me it's blocking without the vibrations so I'm happy I just had to activate them on my joycons.

Given this missing feat. on the lite, I feel that Nintendo should have requested that each game clearly mention if Vibrations are an active part of the gameplay or not. And not letting customers discover this by themselves...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Considering how popular the Switch is in Japan right now, they'd be kinda stupid not to release at least some version of Persona 5

The Switch (and subsequently, the Switch Lite) is an absolute RPG powerhouse. If you're looking for great RPG games, you won't be disappointed.

Saber

Not exactly, just wanted to share my enthusiasm of finally owning a Nintendo handheld for a loooong time.

Thats cool, good for you.

But what does that have to do with Personna 5? How can someone buy a plataform if the game he/she wanted is not there?

Thats cool, good for you.

But what does that have to do with Personna 5? How can someone buy a plataform if the game he/she wanted is not there?

Fair question. Hoping for P5R was not the sole reason behind the purchase. I had a wonderful time trying out BOTW on my brother's Switch and my kids love Mario.

It might have been like the gotelet of hype which had filled in the vase of expectations. Or looking for a remote justification for something he knew he had to do anyway. I kind of bought the switch as well for this hope to play xbox gamepass on it... And so happy I did! I wouldn't have guessed the depth and quality of the game catalog this machine got in only 3 years.

Last edited:

Saber

Fair question. Hoping for P5R was not the sole reason behind the purchase. I had a wonderful time trying out BOTW on my brother's Switch and my kids love Mario.

There you go, this is what supposed to be written at the OP.

Your post sounds more like you pick a Switch for the sole purpuse of playing a game that is not on Switch. I would have to agree with most here...not to mention I had a Dejavu of twitter spams about porting the game.

It might have been like the gotelet of hype which had filled in the vase of expectations. Or looking for a remote justification for something he knew he had to do anyway. I kind of bought the switch as well for this hope to play xbox gamepass on it... And so happy I did! I wouldn't have guessed the depth and quality of the game catalog this machine got in only 3 years.

Yes!

There you go, this is what supposed to be written at the OP.

Your post sounds more like you pick a Switch for the sole purpuse of playing a game that is not on Switch. I would have to agree with most here...not to mention I had a Dejavu of twitter spams about porting the game.

I admit my first post was unclear and misleading. Sorry guys/gals!

Top Bottom