• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I built a new comp but Windows keeps rebooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason when I try to install Windows Home Upgrade (Unfortunately no one seems to carry the full install so I got that and used my friends Windows 98 disc) it formats and installs everything ok, but when it gets to the part where it's "initializing" windows the comp just shuts off.

It always does it at the exact same place to. Sometimes I even get an error, once it said "Invalid Parameter was passed too service of function". It was only up for a second before it shut off again. Although my comp will reset itself about 4 times before it will shut off completely. Here are the parts I used:

Case: Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail

Mobo: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Vid card: eVGA 256-P2-N564 Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Proccessor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

DVD Rom Drive: SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

DVD Burner: NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Heatsink fan: ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink - Retail

I've also tried switching the fan speed but to no change. I've also formated and reinstalled Windows multiple times, but it always shuts off when Windows is at the "initializing" section.

I'm no expert, but the number 1 thing I would check is that the memory is seated well, take it out and reseat it. That can cause a lot of problems.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
For some reason when I try to install Windows Home Upgrade (Unfortunately no one seems to carry the full install so I got that and used my friends Windows 98 disc) it formats and installs everything ok, but when it gets to the part where it's "initializing" windows the comp just shuts off.

Does this mean you are using a full windows 98 disc then using a windows XP Home Upgrade? Or are you just using some friends Windows 98 Upgrade disc?

If the former, then does it work ok after just loading 98? if the Later, get a real disc and try that one.

Hrm, sounds like rejection. Make sure your Windows version is of a corresponding type. As far as I know Windows XP Type O, Windows XP Type A, Windows XP Type B, and Windows Type AB.

m0dus

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Hrm, sounds like rejection. Make sure your Windows version is of a corresponding type. As far as I know Windows XP Type O, Windows XP Type A, Windows XP Type B, and Windows Type AB.

MAF, he's having reboots, not Hemolytic disease of the newborn.

Dude, check your mobo manual and make sure the memory is seated in the correct slots--sometimes you have to alternate slots, or use different configurations depending on the memory sizes. There is usually a chart in the manual that indicates this. With this in mind, try using the memory 1 stick at a time, in case you have a bad one. Secondly, be sure that your PSU is up to snuff, and is giving you good voltages in the bios (conservatively within 5% of tolerance). It sounds like you're using the PSU that came with the case, which is usually a total POS. I'd recommend grabbing a better PSU, since you've got some high-drain devices installed and your system may simply not be getting enough juice. Also, check to be sure your CPU is running at the correct clockspeed, and that the bios you currently have installed supports the processor you have installed. If you don't have much experience building computers You NEED to verify these things because improper settings, incorrectly seated ram, and low voltages can permanantly damage your components.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Does this mean you are using a full windows 98 disc then using a windows XP Home Upgrade? Or are you just using some friends Windows 98 Upgrade disc?

If the former, then does it work ok after just loading 98? if the Later, get a real disc and try that one.
The Windows 98 disc is the full install. I don't know what you mean by just loading 98. Are you saying I have to install W98 before XP?

m0dus

Banned
Synbios459 said:
The Windows 98 disc is the full install. I don't know what you mean by just loading 98. Are you saying I have to install W98 before XP?

Check out my previous post for some tips as to your rebooting problem.

As far as the windows disc is concerned, ALL windows upgrages have the capability of doing a complete install, you do NOT have to install windows 98 first. simply boot the computer from the windows XP upgrade disc, and it will ask you at some point to prove that you have a prior version of windows by inserting that version's disc--at that point, you will simply insert the windows 98 disc for verification. it will read the disc, verify that you own an older copy of windows, then ask you to put the windows Xp disc back in. voila, full, clean install without having to go through the upgrade process.

Is that what you did?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Synbios459 said:

You don't have to, no, but you have the disc. You could see if 98 works on it.

m0dus said:
Check out my previous post for some tips as to your rebooting problem.

As far as the windows disc is concerned, ALL windows upgrages have the capability of doing a complete install, you do NOT have to install windows 98 first. simply boot the computer from the windows XP upgrade disc, and it will ask you at some point to prove that you have a prior version of windows by inserting that version's disc--at that point, you will simply insert the windows 98 disc for verification. it will read the disc, verify that you own an older copy of windows, then ask you to put the windows Xp disc back in. voila, full, clean install without having to go through the upgrade process.

Is that what you did?
Yeah I did all that. Would it matter which slot I put the RAM in? I put one in DIMM A_1, and the other in DIMM B_1.

m0dus

Banned
Synbios459 said:
Yeah I did all that. Would it matter which slot I put the RAM in? I put one in DIMM A_1, and the other in DIMM B_1.

Yes, because depending on the SIZE of the ram, it may require a different configuration. check the manual. And, as I said earlier, try the ram 1 stick at a time and see if it boots.

Well I did as you guys suggested no change. I did one stick at a time and same result. I forgot to mention this is the gfx card I'm using:
eVGA 256-P2-N564 Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Could a bad Windows CD be causing this?

Anyone know how good the geek squad is? I figure if all else fails I'll have to take it to someone for repair.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
How's the power supply? I had a similar issue with random restarts, failed boots, and general system instability and it turned out it was due to a loose connection between the power supply and the mobo.

rc213

Did you setup your bios properly? Do you have the hard drive connected to the right SATA slot? Latest bios flashed to your motherboard?

For Dual Channel you need the memory in A1+A2 or B1+B2

Tekky

Download and boot a Knoppix CD.

If it doesn't boot, suspect your hardware.
If it boots, then suspect your Windows install procedure.

EGM92

There are known problems when upgrading certain problems. From 98 to Home or XP Pro to MCE 2K5. The only way to solve this is to do a full format/full install of windows XP or use a Upgrade Pro edition.

1390532053fe3f3ae363az.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Synbios459 said:
I checked the temp, and the BIOS says it's around 75' celceus (sp?).

!

well that's definately a problem :lol

athlon 64 processors max temperature is roughly 70C

so there's something wrong with the heatsink/fan, most likely how it is mounted, or possibly your thermal compound

try taking off your heatsink/fan and reapplying the compound, scrape it with a credit card or something like that to make sure it's THIN. VERY THIN. (remember! it's there just for inconsistencies on the HSF plating! the more you use THE WORSE)

then put your HSF in again and make sure it's PERFECTLY lined up and give it another go

Well, I took it to a local computer place and they said the Heatsink had been warped and he'd never seen anything like it. I don't know exactly where it's warped but he said that's why it kept shutting off. Anyone know what could cause it to warp?

Lhadatt

Synbios459 said:
Well, I took it to a local computer place and they said the Heatsink had been warped and he'd never seen anything like it. I don't know exactly where it's warped but he said that's why it kept shutting off. Anyone know what could cause it to warp?
Er, how could you not notice that the heatsink was "warped?" It should be a flat object on the bottom, with fins at the top and/or sides and a fan on top of it.

But yeah, if it wasn't making full contact with the thermal compound and CPU, it would definitely throw the CPU's heat shutoff switch.

EDIT: Oh, and those of you going on about "installing XP over 98 is bad, nyah!" READ THE FRAKING ORIGINAL POST! He used the 98 CD for proof that he could use the XP Upgrade CD during the install, he didn't install 98! Jeez...

WTF are you doing with Windows 98? It has more holes than swiss cheese - you are asking to be hacked. Not only that, it sucks compared to XP. Get Windows XP. If you are trying to avoid paying, well sucks to be you, because Windows Genuine Advantage blocks you from using pirated Windows XP...

Lhadatt

CountZeroInt said:
WTF are you doing with Windows 98? It has more holes than swiss cheese - you are asking to be hacked. Not only that, it sucks compared to XP. Get Windows XP. If you are trying to avoid paying, well sucks to be you, because Windows Genuine Advantage blocks you from using pirated Windows XP...
Er... how much of the OP did you NOT read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom