• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t get gamepass… I want to own my games am I the only one here?

Flutta

Banned
Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, no games that I'm aware of are exclusive to Game Pass - so if you want to own the games, just buy them?

Surely you can understand that some people would prefer the Netflix model applied to gaming? And just because Netflix exists, doesn't mean people don't still buy movies and TV shows from places like iTunes, Amazon or VUDU (digital to own).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Imagine having OP as your friend

“I don’t get why anyone will watch a movie in theatre…you don’t get to keep the movie”

“I don’t get bowling…you don’t get to keep your bowling shoes or bowling ball”

“I don’t get why people sing karaoke…you don’t get to keep the mic and the karaoke equipment”

Last edited:

“I don’t get why anyone will watch a movie in theatre…you don’t get to keep the movie”

“I don’t get why people sing karaoke…you don’t get to keep the mic and the karaoke equipment”
"I don't get prostitutes...you don't get to keep them as your wife" is another one "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The few games I actually like on game pass I have bought on steam cause the Xbox store on pc is shit. Doubt I’ll continue my gp sub once it finally runs out from years ago.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Most games I’ll only play through once (if that). And if I do come back for another run, it’ll likely be several years later when I can buy the game for much cheaper than when it first came out.

I’ve got shelves full of games that if I’m being honest, 95% I’ll never play again. Most of them have some kind of remaster on PC or a newer console.

SteadyEvo

Doesn’t bother me at all. When I stop and think about it, ownership is a myth. The house I live in, cars I drive, all material belonging will still be here when I leave earth. The body I inhabit is a rental that will fail at some point.

So I enjoy Gamepass. It’s a rental service like everything else in life.

brian0057

Banned
I honestly don't have a problem with services like Gamepass or Geforce Now.
Right off the bat, you know it's a rental service. You know you're paying for the service rather than the content.

It's with platforms like Steam and Epic (and GOG, to a lesser extent) that I have a problem with. In those places you're supposed to "own" what you buy there. In reality, you don't.
At any point in time, and for whatever reason they see fit, a developer or publisher can either change or remove your "products", without your consent, and there's nothing you can do about it.
This insane erosion of property rights in lieu of convenience is a detriment to consumers.
Miss me with that Sword of Damocles shit.

Rykan

Wait, you have to return those!?

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only time it was nice to have it is when I first got my Series S and started playing through all Gears of War games. But now when I wanted to revisit them recently, I realised that I don't actually own them and would have to either buy them all or sub again, and I think I'd rather to the former this time.

jorgejjvr

Parent of two kids here. I don't want to own any more games. If all big 3 had day 1 subs for their games I would be there.

Physical games, for sure are fully gone. I already have a mess, I can't keep adding to the mess with more physical rectangular boxes that more often than not don't even include the game on disc.

So digital + subscription + cloud + remote play all the way.

Also, having gamepass does not equal not buying games. I tried sea of stars on GP, not something I would have bought had I not known about it, but it helped me find it, I loved it, and I bought it to support the devs. I own hollow Knight on like 3 different systems just to support them, even though I played it on gamepass.

I'm pretty sure even us subscription heavy people will still buy a game here and there, or dlc. Heck I'm a fan of the $30 early access (like Starfield) even though I don't own the game lol.

Growing up all I knew was physical games, but life changes and there are different priorities.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Yup, I just don’t get why people would want to enjoy and experience something without owning that thing permanently.

My dumb wife wants to take a Caribbean cruise. I told her to wake me up when she has enough money to buy our own yacht.

All I know is that when (if) games go all-digital, I'll likely stop buying games for good and just sub when I want to play something new. Is that good for the industry? Hell no, but it'll be where we are at that point.
It's destroying Hollywood's entire revenue base almost overnight. If that's the future you want for gaming, give in to the Green Rats and own nothing and be happy! (And eat ze bugs!)

Hugare

"I don’t get Netflix… I want to own my movies am I the only one here?"

"I don’t get Spotify… I want to own my musics am I the only one here?"

Still cant understand the appeal?

I wouldnt have discovered many movies and musics that I love if there were no Spotify and Netflix

And I buy bluray discs of my favorite movies. Just like I do with games that I love.

It's destroying Hollywood's entire revenue base almost overnight. If that's the future you want for gaming, give in to the Green Rats and own nothing and be happy! (And eat ze bugs!)
If physical games leave the market, then what do I have to lose? As a collector I already own enough games and systems for my family and I to never run out of things to enjoy. So basically, it's not really my problem.

Last edited:

Reckheim

It's fine if you use it as a rental service; I have no desire to own game to be honest. Rarely do I play a game that I want or need to replay. Especially with all the great games coming out constantly.

I'm subbed for another year and half but I wont be resubbing, i'll just get it for a month when there is a game on there I actually want to play.

killatopak

Gold Member
Steam is kinda like my gamepass anyway. Try it out and refund if not to your liking. Steam sales with low costs negate the need to complete games before it goes out of the rotation of games. Bonus cause I can play it anytime I want. GP version of their games seems to also be a bit more prone to bugs and problems compared to the steam version.

Really the only reason for someone to subscribe to GP is day one Xbox Studio games. Of course there are some outliers like League of Legends unlocking all champions for use(You don’t own them. it’s like a rental as long as you’re subscribed.) Free expansions for ESO and FO76 (You still have to pay the subscription for the former and the latter has Bethesda flavored shark cards). Dunno what else but those are the ones that personally interest me.

Anyway, I buy more physical games anyway so my use cases for a digital service isn’t really applicable to anyone. Steam is just my stomping ground for indie games cause those usually don’t have physical releases.

Reactions: GHG

StereoVsn

See topic It’s great for testing games but that’s all for me. I guess it’s good for low income players
I used it to test games to see if they were worth buying. I also utilized it to play smaller games and sports stuff on Xbox which I most likely wouldn’t have bought in the first place. But honestly that’s rare since I definitely have more games in my backlog library vs time, lol.

Which is why I didn’t renew it. And for Sports games they can be had for almost nothing once next Spring hits. I either play SP or local MP anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom