• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t get gamepass… I want to own my games am I the only one here?

JackMcGunns

Some people want to own the Stranger Things Blu-ray set while others prefer to stream it 🤷‍♂️

It’s pretty much the same concept. Some games are worth owning physical, but for a pretty big majority, there are games you might never try unless you have GamePass which has introduce many gems people would have otherwise overlooked.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I agree. I pay monthly for PS+ Classic (or whatever it's called, premium maybe?) and I couldn't tell you why because I rarely utilize it.

So many games but it's like streaming VOD, too much shit to choose from so I end up not choosing anything and just go to something familiar that I enjoy playing and already own.

Ev1L AuRoN

As long as Microsoft allow us to own our games, I'm ok with Game Pass. I'm more worried about cloud gaming and the concept that we can no longer run the game code locally, that would be catastrophic for game preservation and ownership of the content.

Knightime_X

It's easy.
If I can take advantage of games I want to play without paying more but probably don't care to keep them, then gamepass is a no-brainer.
If I like the game after trying it on GP, then I'll buy outright.

As long as Microsoft allow us to own our games, I'm ok with Game Pass. I'm more worried about cloud gaming and the concept that we can no longer run the game code locally, that would be catastrophic for game preservation and ownership of the content.
Along those lines, have you ever noticed that MS tends to have far less discount sales each week in contrast to both Nintendo and Sony? Makes me wonder what will happen in '28 with the release of their new, "adorably all-digital" game system. Wouldn't be surprised if they started making Game Pass exclusives at that point.

SomeGit

Along those lines, have you ever noticed that MS tends to have far less discount sales each week in contrast to both Nintendo and Sony? Makes me wonder what will happen in '28 with the release of their new, "adorably all-digital" game system. Wouldn't be surprised if they started making Game Pass exclusives at that point.

Not really, they have new sales every Tuesday comparable to the other platforms and you see them discounted a lot on the big sales when those happen.

Here’s this weeks:

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't get wanting to own games. I want experiences. When I am done, I am done. I have games shoved in drawers I haven't touched in many years. I'd rather have had the 20-30 bucks I could have gotten if I sold ASAP. If I want to play again in 10 years, I hope there is a remaster available.

Well, thé comparison does not work. For 2 simple reasons :
- average Time to play a game >>> average Time of a movie. / tvshow / music
- replayability of a game >>> rewatchability of a movie / show. (Not for music).
Hey man, you can word salad it anyway you want and find reason for why it's not the same or similar.

Doesn't change the reality of how people perceive it and why they're attracted to it.

Hudo

You have to look from the perspective of the majority of people who play games, which are not people who bother to browse forums about games online etc., but rather just play their FIFA/Madden, Call of Duty and Fortnite. And GamePass is aimed at them. And for those kind of people, GamePass is not the worst deal. They don't care about "owning" games.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The only reason I survived College as a gamer is because of Blockbuster.
I imagine theres people who are worse off than me and owning all the games on GP is just out of the question.....probably even playing a bunch of the games on GP is out of the question so subbing and dabbling makes sense.

635d8910b9028.image.jpg

Black_Stride

I take it you dont have access to the internet or an Xbox console cuz Microsoft has pages and pages worth of sales.
The list adds/removes games literally every week with discounts going as far as 90% off.
If you are/were a Gold subscriber you got even more sales.

I take it you dont have access to the internet or an Xbox console cuz Microsoft has pages and pages worth of sales.
The list adds/removes games literally every week with discounts going as far as 90% off.
If you are/were a Gold subscriber you got even more sales.
Unfortunately a lot of games I like aren't on Xbox, so I tend to see sales for games that are in my wish lists on the other platforms. The games in my wish list on Xbox don't go on sale very often it seems. For instance, right now Disco Elysium is on sale on the PS store and Eshop, but not on the MS shop.

Black_Stride

Unfortunately a lot of games I like aren't on Xbox, so I tend to see sales for games that are in my wish lists on the other platforms. The games in my wish list on Xbox don't go on sale very often it seems. For instance, right now Disco Elysium is on sale on the PS store and Eshop, but not on the MS shop.
Disco Elysium was on sale some time ago on the Xbox Store.
Both the Switch and PS sales started this month.
Maybe next month itll be on sale on the Xbox Store.

If you arent going to keep track of sales and then make blanket statements that Xbox doesnt do sales......does that say something about Xbox or about you?

Zuzu

Gamepass is great and has saved me a lot of money. E.g. I was able to play 50hrs of Starfield and finish the main story for the price of a sub. Yesterday I finished Lies of P for the price of a monthly sub. I don’t feel a need to own these games because I’ve gotten the majority of the value out of these games already (though I might play through of Lies of P again but I’ll just do it via the sub).

Last edited:
Disco Elysium was on sale some time ago on the Xbox Store.
Both the Switch and PS sales started this month.
Maybe next month itll be on sale on the Xbox Store.

If you arent going to keep track of sales and then make blanket statements that Xbox doesnt do sales......does that say something about Xbox or about you?
Who gives a fuck? It's what I saw from my perspective and now you're all anal no fun police. Yikes.

Sybrix

I wonder from a psychological point of view how customers perceive games played on gamepass as opposed to owning them.

For me, a game on gamepass is devalued, I get the same feeling as a playing a free to play game when playing gamepass, not to say the game experience is less but a game played on gamepass feels less special then spending you spent your own money on and owning.

Your more invested in things you buy and own, where as gamepass games are throwaway and less valuable.

Last edited:
I wonder from a psychological point of view how customers perceive games played on gamepass as opposed to owning them.

For me, a game on gamepass is devalued, I get the same feeling as a playing a free to play game when playing gamepass, not to say the game experience is less but a game played on gamepass feels less special then spending you spent your own money on and owning.

Your more invested in things you buy and own, where as gamepass games are throwaway and less valuable.
Feels that way because it's a rental service. Access doesn't compare to ownership for most people, I suppose. If GameFly had better shipping/returning times for my area, I'd use them over Game Pass any day. As it is now, I just let my GP sub go out and will only sub a month here or there when a game I just wanna beat quickly comes around and be done with it.

Top Bottom