• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I freaking love the movie Master and Commander

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched it again the other day and this movie over the years has climbed the ranks of my all-time favorite movies. The relationships with the crew, specifically the leads is so special to watch, not to mention the tense and exciting moments this movie has as well. Tremendous acting across the board. Love the dialogue, love the soundtrack. This movie always puts me in a good mood when I watch it and every time it ends I wish it was never over. Each time I watch it I appreciate it more and more, and I can say I think it’s now in my top 10 favorite movies. Can’t really say there’s anything at all I dislike about it.

I’ve been on a bit of a pirate kick lately.

Any other fans of this movie?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never saw the movie. I just remember at the time Russell Crowe was everywhere and coming off Gladiator, I got the vibe it's Maximus on water as he's being the boss ordering people around in fights like Gladiator.

Is this a true assumption? Or is Crowe totally different in the movie?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Never saw the movie. I just remember at the time Russell Crowe was everywhere and coming off Gladiator, I got the vibe it's Maximus on water as he's being the boss ordering people around in fights like Gladiator.

Is this a true assumption? Or is Crowe totally different in the movie?
Very different character from Maximus. Both are a leadership role of sorts, but their personalities are very very different. Master and Commander he plays is a far more emotionally complex and nuanced character.

ManaByte

Gold Member
One of the best Star Trek movies.

Shame we‘ll never get a sequel. It was so expensive to make it took THREE studios to finance it.

I’ve been on the filming ship for the Surprise. They keep it in San Diego at the Maritime Museum.

Last edited:

Vick

Who doesn't? It's a masterpiece.
Wish we could have gotten many more iterations from Weir, would be my favorite series ever.

My only real gripe (other than maybe the way the final fight was directed) is the home video master.
The movie never had a full DI but relied, a bit too heavily at times, on less than perfect CG.. which as usual looks ten times worse than it actually is on telecined masters.
A new scan would do wonders, and appropriately match the absolutely mindblowing DTS track quality.

This movie on 35mm is a superb work of art.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes it’s great!
Watched it first in 2004 on a Nice surround sound system with them ship cracking on the ocean.

Just love this movie. So well made and like some mentioned a classic that only gets better with each watch. The on ship family type dynamic, the sense of discovery and the awesome old world naval combat tactics and tricks

Shame there wasn’t more. I think this was about the 4th novel in a series.

Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Too many close up shots. I want to see that ****ing ship with all its glorious ropes and sails and ****.

Great movie though.

jonnyp

Watched it again the other day and this movie over the years has climbed the ranks of my all-time favorite movies. The relationships with the crew, specifically the leads is so special to watch, not to mention the tense and exciting moments this movie has as well. Tremendous acting across the board. Love the dialogue, love the soundtrack. This movie always puts me in a good mood when I watch it and every time it ends I wish it was never over. Each time I watch it I appreciate it more and more, and I can say I think it’s now in my top 10 favorite movies. Can’t really say there’s anything at all I dislike about it.

I’ve been on a bit of a pirate kick lately.

Any other fans of this movie?

It's amazing. I have no idea why it didn't become a blockbuster and many more made.

Drake

Amazing movie and I'll watch it every chance I get. Wish they would have made more and they have a ton of source material to pull from. (something like 20 Aubrey-Maturin books). But these movies have got to be a fortune to make and I can't imagine they would make that much money.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It is a great movie. It should have been multiple movies. The first movie is two books. But it is done so well.

just a classic.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Besides being a fantastic movie, if you want to showcase your sound system then there’s no better. Maybe the shootout scene in Heat is up there

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Brilliant movie. Shame they didn't make any sequels.

I'd love to see this period get more screen time. For example, a big budget mini series about the life of Lord Nelson would be incredible.

Sybrix

I've never seen it, but it looks like i'd love it.

Gladiator is one of my most favourite films, also love a good war film.

Top Bottom