• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Hate To Ask A Possibly Stupid Question... Velocity Girl?

So who or what is Velocity Girl? I've heard that name thrown about a few times, especially in the past day or so? I apologize in advance for being" out of the loop" but I have to know! Thanks.

Jonnyram

She is one of three persona that MS showed in their E3 presentation as being typical Live users next generation. I can't remember the other two... I think one was Beat Breaker.

Odysseus

Banned
You know how Sony focused on a blend of real-time and CG demos with the PS3 unveiling? Microsoft pimped their services. "Velocity Girl" was a random Xbox Live user that could participate in stuff like microtransactions and stuff. Not a big selling poing, but certainly some fodder for the forums when wallguy got old.

NotMSRP

I can't believe MS thinks Velocity Girl is the appropriate demographic group icon to represent the female population.

Velocity Girl = tomboy who plays Madden and Tony Hawk
an intellectual property of MS :lol

Interesting... not what I expected. I assumed it was the alias for some idiotic "grrrrl gamer" like Jessica Chobot or something.

Unison

When she wasn't designing clothes to sell on the Xbox Live Marketplace, she would use her 360 to play Solitaire. :lol

Rorschach

FortNinety said:
Interesting... not what I expected. I assumed it was the alias for some idiotic "grrrrl gamer" like Jessica Chobot or something.
It's a made up grrl gmr. She makes virtual mittens for people to buy online!

Gattsu25

Banned
Velocity Girl is at the forefront of the new revolution that will revitalize the gaming industry that Microsoft is pushing!

You know all those user made mods, textures, characters, and other content that are all available for free in hundreds of PC games? Now you PAY FOR THEM!!! Velocity Girl can make her own level, and profit from you buying it. I know you're thinking that it's too good to be true, but it's not as good as it sounds. Unfortunately, like Live!, you're not just paying for what has been freely available for nearly a decade...live gives you what Gamespy gives you and voice chat...and Velocity Girl is able to make tea cups and shirt designs

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Rorschach said:
It's a made up grrl gmr. She makes virtual mittens for people to buy online!
Someone must have registered Velocity Girl already.... right? :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Velocity Girl is just a name Microsoft used for one of several hundred (thousand?) different scenarios of people.

The scenarios include: What the people own, what the people play, how much the people spend, who they play against, how they play their games, what type of competition they prefer to play....

do they rather play big expensive games, small games, media crazy games, etc etc etc

It's one of the 3 examples microsoft used to describe how they're trying to accomodate as many different demographics as possible.

and of course, knowing GAF... everyone seems to missed the ENTIRE POINT.

Unison

What was the name of that woman who brought the 360 out in a totebag?

"I am _____, and this is MY Xbox 360!" :lol

Rorschach

Unison said:
What was the name of that woman who brought the 360 out in a totebag?

"I am _____, and this is MY Xbox 360!" :lol
The most embarrassing part was Robert Gallery showing up. FOR SHAME!!!

Zaphod

DopeyFish said:
Velocity Girl is just a name Microsoft used for one of several hundred (thousand?) different scenarios of people.

The scenarios include: What the people own, what the people play, how much the people spend, who they play against, how they play their games, what type of competition they prefer to play....

do they rather play big expensive games, small games, media crazy games, etc etc etc

It's one of the 3 examples microsoft used to describe how they're trying to accomodate as many different demographics as possible.

Wow... just wow. I like to think I am a non-partisan in the ol'e console wars, but I have a hard time imagining a non gamer plunking down 300+ bucks to make skate parks. I guess I must have just missed the point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
when you make something and put it on sale on the Live Marketplace, do you actually get money for it whenever someone buys it?

acidviper

Banned
What did baldy say she was. A girl who wants shitty Atari level games on the go. And to chat and trade pictures with her friends online.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Zaphod said:
Wow... just wow. I like to think I am a non-partisan in the ol'e console wars, but I have a hard time imagining a non gamer plunking down 300+ bucks to make skate parks. I guess I must have just missed the point.

example post of MISSING THE POINT.

It's the whole idea of catering to as much people as possible.

It's not just the skateparks too, what if someone wants a good DVD player... that also connects her to her friends to talk via voice or camera? Or just to play small games like poker, checkers, bejeweled? Or to be the music player? Or to be the media center extender? etc etc etc

sangreal

Wario64 said:
when you make something and put it on sale on the Live Marketplace, do you actually get money for it whenever someone buys it?

That is the idea*, but initially you can only sell to people on your friends list anyway.

*I don't think they've ever gone out and said this, but they talked about how eventually they expect companies to get in on the action, so...

Zaphod said:

Velocity girl isn't supposed to pick up a console at launch. The point is to make the xbox something for everyone in the family to use.

daegan

Velocity Girl is also some kind of band.

The only reason I know this is because it's one of five bands on my CBGB shower curtain I don't recognize.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Rorschach said:
The most embarrassing part was Robert Gallery showing up. FOR SHAME!!!
Backpack guy!

DopeyFish said:

Did people miss the point or did MS fail to communicate it properly by making a transparent, telegraphed (and entirely corny) presentation on how they'll appeal to a wider demographic a major focus of their next gen press conference? It was out of touch with the core gamer and seemed more than a bit desperate to gain new ones. The Velocity Girl crap was ripe to get mocked the way it did.

Ranger X

Velocity Girl is supposedly the stupid girl who'll buy a 400$ console to be able to buy and play Joe Blow's Tony Hawk map. :lol

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
daegan said:
Velocity Girl is also some kind of band.

The only reason I know this is because it's one of five bands on my CBGB shower curtain I don't recognize.

Though they never quite reached the point of seminal (maybe your shower curtain proves otherwise), Velocity Girl were one of the biggest female-led (and non-grunge) bands on Sub Pop during SP/Seattle's heyday. They got wider critical acclaim and airplay than the terminally-obscure Fastbacks, and given the scene's proximity to MS, were undoubtedly the inspiration behind the tag.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
brandonnn said:
Though they never quite reached the point of seminal (maybe your shower curtain proves otherwise), Velocity Girl were one of the biggest female-led (and non-grunge) bands on Sub Pop during SP/Seattle's heyday. They got wider critical acclaim and airplay than the terminally-obscure Fastbacks, and given the scene's proximity to MS, were undoubtedly the inspiration behind the tag.
Velocity Girl was an outstanding band. I was lucky enough to see them play live at Chicago's Metro (now the main venue of eXxy's brother) back in '96. I would have sworn that I was the only one making the band connection during Microsoft's press conference.

B0000035FQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B0000035GE.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B0000035HP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's not just the skateparks too, what if someone wants a good DVD player... that also connects her to her friends to talk via voice or camera? Or just to play small games like poker, checkers, bejeweled? Or to be the music player? Or to be the media center extender? etc etc etc...

A Dell PC is only $299 right now.

Flynn

brandonnn said:

I knew I could count on you to school the kids on the source of the reference.

They should have called her Mudhoney.

border

Velocity Girl was Microsoft totally missing the point, I think. She is a hypothetical customer who doesn't actually like playing games, but will spend money on a system (or maybe use her boyfriend's system) so she can sell downloadable content like t-shirts and custom made skate parks. Nevermind that someone who doesn't play Tony Hawk has practically zero chance of designing a skate park that people would have fun playing in. I like FPS titles a good deal, but I don't even pretend that I could design a compelling multiplayer map -- what chance does a total amateur have? Hell, (s)he probably wouldn't even be able to finish it -- the tools for such a task are pretty daunting as-is.

MS's message about picking up new audiences was funny only because their content seemed to contradict that idea so much.

"We want to reach out to new demographics!"
**shows game presentation reel of nothing but cars, tits, and gun games made to appeal to males 14-30**

As iffy as the reaction to Nintendo's DS software has been, it's at least recognizable as something that might appeal to non-gamers. Microsoft OTOH preaches diversity but fails to back it up. Does anything from their first party lineup seem like it could remotely appeal to non-gaming women or older audiences?

It's like how last generation Microsoft evangelized the "Games are art" concept, but promptly shitcanned Oddworld and Psychonauts when they were running behind schedule and looking less commercially viable. Now they've totally shifted into being a hit-based publisher and they aren't afraid to admit it. No more attention to garage developers, no more "Incubator" project. If "microtransactions" don't pan out, I'd expect a similar change of tone.

I think the Live Marketplace is an interesting concept, though kind of a ripoff when you consider that anything similar on the PC would be entirely free (or donation-based). Paying for a t-shirt texture is totally retarded, but hey, idiots will pay $1-2 for a fucking cell phone ringtone or background so it might be successful anyhow.

Lots of responses here. But here, see the whole story for yourself! Here's a video of J Allard talking about VelocityGirl at the E3 keynote:

http://www.gameswelike.com/GWLvideos/E32005/velocitygirl.mpg

And here are a few quotes:

"Let's talk about VelocityGirl. We all know someone like her. She may pick up a controller every once in a while, over at a friend's house, but really, gaming's not a central part of her existence."

"She's going to re-join us because we're delivering a fresh set of services designed to nurture community and to broaden gameplay. To expand the market, we're going to deliver more casual game experiences on demand through the Xbox Live Arcade."

"We got something else in mind. We call it the Xbox Live Marketplace...the Marketplace is going to be a way to get VelocityGirl re-engaged with our market and re-engaged with games. Because on the Marketplace, she's going to be an active member of the community. A community of people that play games like Tony Hawk. Now, she might never pick up a controller, never take a run in the half-pipe, but she'll be able to design--and sell--stickers, shirts, boards, soundtracks, and even design her own skate parks for those hardcore gamers like Striker."

That last one is my favorite (and probably everyone's). It was all okay up until then. Sure, have online solitaire and retro-gaming for the casuals. But what's this? She NEVER plays current games, but she's going to design levels? WTF? So she's going to buy a game, never play it, but use its editor to make levels for us...uh...

On a related note, is anyone else pissed that Microsoft wants user-made content to cost money? Thanks a lot, assholes! I assume they get a cut of all these intra-user transactions.

edit: oops, you beat me to most of that, border.

Ranger X

border said:
Velocity Girl was Microsoft totally missing the point, I think. She is a hypothetical customer who doesn't actually like playing games, but will spend money on a system (or maybe use her boyfriend's system) so she can sell downloadable content like t-shirts and custom made skate parks. Nevermind that someone who doesn't play Tony Hawk has practically zero chance of designing a skate park that people would have fun playing in. I like FPS titles a good deal, but I don't even pretend that I could design a compelling multiplayer map -- what chance does a total amateur have? Hell, (s)he probably wouldn't even be able to finish it -- the tools for such a task are pretty daunting as-is.

MS's message about picking up new audiences was funny only because their content seemed to contradict that idea so much.

**shows game presentation reel of nothing but cars, tits, and gun games made to appeal to males 14-30**

As iffy as the reaction to Nintendo's DS software has been, it's at least recognizable as something that might appeal to non-gamers. Microsoft OTOH preaches diversity but fails to back it up. Does anything from their first party lineup seem like it could remotely appeal to non-gaming women or older audiences?

It's like how last generation Microsoft evangelized the "Games are art" concept, but promptly shitcanned Oddworld and Psychonauts when they were running behind schedule and looking less commercially viable. Now they've totally shifted into being a hit-based publisher and they aren't afraid to admit it. No more attention to garage developers, no more "Incubator" project. If "microtransactions" don't pan out, I'd expect a similar change of tone.

I think the Live Marketplace is an interesting concept, though kind of a ripoff when you consider that anything similar on the PC would be entirely free (or donation-based). Paying for a t-shirt texture is totally retarded, but hey, idiots will pay $1-2 for a fucking cell phone ringtone or background so it might be successful anyhow.

Microsoft is indeed missing the point. Each time i hear about this whole thing i feel that all those features are supposed to make Xbox Live popular but it's actually the contrary. I think that Xbox Live needs to be popular for those features to work and mean something.

Also, micro-transactions are evil. It's easy for everyone to shed a couple of bucks here and there. It's enticing the people to pay, giving them an habit. Banalising money transactions in gaming and it can go further in the futur, the more people is brainwashed.
People generally are stupid and will pay, will get enticed into the system. Microsoft know that, it's an american way of thinking anyway "using the dumb".
And really, non-gamer girls really got something else to do than design fucking skateboards and maps for some gamer geek that will actually buy it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
border said:

I completely agree.

NotMSRP

I remember that "games are art" line from MS. Never bought it. I fully expected the shelves to be full of stereotypical and generic crap and the expectation was fullfilled.

border

Live Marketplace seems fairly risky because it seems to open the company up to a lot of liability. What happens if someone creates a shirt that uses a band logo, and they somehow end up selling it? What happens if someone makes a map that's a copy of a map in an older FPS? Can MS be sued for copyright infringement?

I am wondering if it will be like eBay, where the company has somehow managed to insulate itself from massive-scale piracy by its sellers.....or if they will have to have a fairly large infrastructure to make sure everything being sold is not infringing.

Rain

Banned
DopeyFish said:
So? Not everyone is determined to use a computer but a more simpler interface may be more to their liking

Plus, Velocity's Girl son (i forgot his codename on the microsoft presentation) would be able to use the console to play game.s..

and Velocity Girl's Beat Buster (or whatever was his name) could use the console to play (as he is obviously male), but he would put his own music in it..

See. a perfect solution for all family members...

ToxicAdam

Don't forget PokerGrandma123 who is going to spend 500 dollars on an Xbox so she can play online poker with her grandson.

gohepcat

Banned
Marrying the feedback-drenched sonic assault of the British shoegazer scene with the melodic immediacy of classic pop -- an approach critics dubbed "bubblegrunge."

Velocity Girl emerged as one of the most successful and acclaimed indie-rock bands of the early 1990s. Their roots lie in the short-lived Gotterdammacrats, which formed in Silver Spring, MD in September 1988 around the nucleus of singer/guitarist Archie Moore, bassist Kelly Riles, guitarist John Barnett and drummer Berny Grindel. Barnett exited following the first performance, and after playing a series of gigs as a three-piece, in the summer of 1989 the group welcomed vocalist Bridget Cross and adopted the name Velocity Girl, borrowing the moniker from an early B-side by the then-obscure British band Primal Scream. As the year drew to a close, the band made its recorded debut with �Clock," a contribution to the compilation What Kind of Heaven Do You Want?, the first release on the fledgling local label Slumberland. Drummer Jim Spellman replaced Grindel in the fall of 1990, and after completing the single "I Don't Care If You Go," Cross left the lineup early the following year; she soon resurfaced in another seminal D.C. indie band, Unrest.

Singer Sarah Shannon was tapped as Cross' replacement, and a week after adding second guitarist Brian Nelson -- Moore's bandmate in the pioneering Black Tambourine --Velocity Girl entered the studio to record its breakthrough single, 1991's "My Forgotten Favorite." The record was a major college radio favorite, and brought the group to the attention of the Sub Pop label, which released a split single featuring Velocity Girl and fellow D.C.-area band Tsunami in early 1992. Velocity Girl remained with Sub Pop to issue its 1993 full-length debut Copacetic -- a much-acclaimed set featuring the singles �Crazy Town" and "Audrey's Eyes," its ingratiating noise-pop approach proved pivotal in expanding Sub Pop's image beyond that of merely a Seattle grunge label, and at the time was the second biggest seller in the company's history, behind only Nirvana's Bleach. The follow-up, ¡Simpatico!, was even more successful, generating the minor hit "Sorry Again." 1996's Gilded Stars and Zealous Hearts was far less fulfilling creatively and commercially, however, and after completing the album Shannon relocated to Seattle. The group's days were clearly numbered, and a U.S. tour culminated in a farewell show at Baltimore's 8x10 Club that September. After Velocity Girl dissolved, Shannon, Riles and Spellman reunited in the short-lived Starry Eyes, while Moore -- who also helmed a side project, the Heartworms -- later resurfaced as a member of the acclaimed Saturday People. ~ Jason Ankeny , All Music Guide

human5892

Queen of Denmark
ToxicAdam said:
Don't forget PokerGrandma123 who is going to spend 500 dollars on an Xbox so she can play online poker with her grandson.
:lol

I remember that thread...there were some funny assertions being tossed around that should be saved for future use, in case we ever get statistics on the number of people over 70 who bought a 360.

Red Scarlet

ToxicAdam said:

:lol

The whole Velocity Girl and what she does with a 360 is horseshit.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I dunno... I don't think its supposed to describe NONgamers... just females on the periphery of the industry. I think my girlfriend is a perfect example:

She already had a GameCube when we met with like... Crazy Taxi, and Mario Sunshine. Since we've gotten more serious and have moved in together she's obviously gotten much more involved in games, since unlike a lot of girls she wasn't turned off by them from the start. I've exposed her to lots of stuff like Super Bust A Move, Wario Ware, Animal Crossing, Katamari, etc., and she's liked all of that.

But... she'd still NEVER play Phantom Dust or Halo 2 on Live even though she likes to fool around with them with me now and then.

I think "Velocity Girl" is describing THIS kind of girl. Maybe someone like you or me brings a 360 into the home, and thanks to its new features someone like my GF is actually willing to get a gamertag, whereas before the Live service just didn't appeal to them.

Maybe my case is unique, but I know my GF enough to know that Live will appeal to her much more with the 360 than it does in its current form, and I think it'll probably be a similar situation with a lot of "light gaming" girlfriends or sisters or parents.

sangreal

GDJustin said:
I dunno... I don't think its supposed to describe NONgamers... just females on the periphery of the industry. I think my girlfriend is a perfect example:

She already had a GameCube when we met with like... Crazy Taxi, and Mario Sunshine. Since we've gotten more serious and have moved in together she's obviously gotten much more involved in games, since unlike a lot of girls she wasn't turned off by them from the start. I've exposed her to lots of stuff like Super Bust A Move, Wario Ware, Animal Crossing, Katamari, etc., and she's liked all of that.

But... she'd still NEVER play Phantom Dust or Halo 2 on Live even though she likes to fool around with them with me now and then.

I think "Velocity Girl" is describing THIS kind of girl. Maybe someone like you or me brings a 360 into the home, and thanks to its new features someone like my GF is actually willing to get a gamertag, whereas before the Live service just didn't appeal to them.

Maybe my case is unique, but I know my GF enough to know that Live will appeal to her much more with the 360 than it does in its current form, and I think it'll probably be a similar situation with a lot of "light gaming" girlfriends or sisters or parents.

I think this is exactly right

sangreal said:
I think this is exactly right

That's fine. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with them thinking or claiming that some of their features will appeal to casuals or to anyone. But some of the claims they made were outright stupid, like suggesting that she's going to make and sell levels for a game they specifically said she'd never play.

That statement is so wrong, on SO many levels.

Top Bottom