• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I honestly think Crossfire X highlights MS lack of judgement and quality control more than Redfall

Duchess

I have no idea what Crossfire X is.
From Wikipedia:

CrossfireX was a first-person shooter game developed and published by Smilegate Entertainment for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S on February 10, 2022. The game was the third installment in the Crossfire series. Remedy Entertainment worked on the game's two single-player campaigns, which are also available on Crossfire HD. It received generally negative reviews from critics.

On February 3, 2023, Smilegate announced that the game would shut down on May 18, 2023.[2]

Cattlyst

Was looking forward to the single player campaign as an alternative to Battlefield or COD. But when it dropped the review scores were hideous and it just looked like a broken mess in gameplay videos. I still haven’t bothered playing it to this day. A damn shame.

britney-spears-yawn.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The lack of a PC version in 2022 suggests that this was probably some kind of legacy thing.

Ozriel

M$FT
We can all say Redfall is the poster child but that was in development before ms acquired them It was like baggage you get left over and have to take. But crossfire x was something that ms saw played and had zero obligation to grab it but still did.

It helps to know what you’re talking about. How did ‘Microsoft’ play a game that didn’t exist, and why are you blaming them for a game developed and published by a third party?

Bloody hell.

havoc00

It helps to know what you’re talking about. How did ‘Microsoft’ play a game that didn’t exist, and why are you blaming them for a game developed and published by a third party?

Bloody hell.
They blindly bid on a game and made it exclusive without playing any beta or alpha versions of it? Didn’t look into the developer of the mp at all who had a horrid track record. The game was also released as a beta in 2020 and was shit it was delayed 2 years with hardly anything from the beta fixed. In the 2 years no one from ms checked on the progress? Didn’t ask or demand things to be fixed ?

Last edited:
We can all say Redfall is the poster child but that was in development before ms acquired them It was like baggage you get left over and have to take. But crossfire x was something that ms saw played and had zero obligation to grab it but still did.
Crossfire X? What about all the other good Gamepass games they've gotten other than CFX? After all cocoon just came out recently.

I tried to play Crossfire X, I recall being lost as to how the game, menu, mechanics etc work. The game was FUBAR for me, I uninstalled it like the D-grade piece of shit it was. It's certainly not in the same category as the Asia based Crossfire series that claims massive player numbers.

I think they're both showcasing poor vision by MS to market these titles as they did, especially Redfall. How is that game cool or interesting at all? Who approves these titles or even if they're mid dev who approves marketing them in such a state.

It's not just MS, all these asshat corpos do this shit. What ever happened to people who know games and what a great game is greenlighting dev, marketing and pushing such titles into the spotlight? Honestly the Indie scene is far more interesting in terms of innovation or game/art hooks etc.

havoc00

I tried to play Crossfire X, I recall being lost as to how the game, menu, mechanics etc work. The game was FUBAR for me, I uninstalled it like the D-grade piece of shit it was. It's certainly not in the same category as the Asia based Crossfire series that claims massive player numbers.

I think they're both showcasing poor vision by MS to market these titles as they did, especially Redfall. How is that game cool or interesting at all? Who approves these titles or even if they're mid dev who approves marketing them in such a state.

It's not just MS, all these asshat corpos do this shit. What ever happened to people who know games and what a great game is greenlighting dev, marketing and pushing such titles into the spotlight? Honestly the Indie scene is far more interesting in terms of innovation or game/art hooks etc.

They might've gotten pretty cheap, I dunno.

They also rejected some big name projects. Could've been highly expensive, again we dunno the details.

Jumping to conclusions based on limited data is worthless. We know xbox makes a good profit and has managed to be a core pillar of Microsoft as a company. Maybe they had to cut some corners to make that happen.

Ozriel

M$FT
They blindly bid on a game and made it exclusive without playing any beta or alpha versions of it? Didn’t look into the developer of the mp at all who had a horrid track record. The game was also released as a beta in 2020 and was shit it was delayed 2 years with hardly anything from the beta fixed. In the 2 years no one from ms checked on the progress? Didn’t ask or demand things to be fixed ?

They didn’t ’blindly bid’ on the game. Crossfire was a successful multiplayer FPS, and they wanted to make a console version, including campaigns made by Remedy. That was when they inked the deal.

You clearly have very limited knowledge of the title itself, and are strangely conflating the MP game with the Remedy developed campaign. The vast majority of the negative reception for the title was fueled by the abysmal campaign - and that certainly didn’t have a demo or open beta in 2020.

Letting something like crossfire x come out after it was in beta and delayed for 2 years shows a deeper problem in how ms manages and oversees what comes out. It all goes back to a too hands off approach not caring or a combo of both.

Microsoft should have canceled a third party published game? They're supposed to be the one responsible for ‘managing’ the development of the game?
makes as much sense as accusing Sony of being hands off with Forspoken or Gollum.

havoc00

They didn’t ’blindly bid’ on the game. Crossfire was a successful multiplayer FPS, and they wanted to make a console version, including campaigns made by Remedy. That was when they inked the deal.

You clearly have very limited knowledge of the title itself, and are strangely conflating the MP game with the Remedy developed campaign. The vast majority of the negative reception for the title was fueled by the abysmal campaign - and that certainly didn’t have a demo or open beta in 2020.

Microsoft should have canceled a third party published game? They're supposed to be the one responsible for ‘managing’ the development of the game?
makes as much sense as accusing Sony of being hands off with Forspoken or Gollum.
Gollum wasn't an exclusive, the campaign was poorly reviewed also. Forspoken is like a 6 critically compared to the worty contender that corssfire x was.

havoc00

You’re the one making the claim that platform holders are directly responsible for the quality of third party games on their console.

ms paid for this and advertised this as being an exclusive people should care about it was released in a horrid state, this wasnt just a third party game being released, this was something xbox took pride in being an exclusive the game was legit unplayable no one defended this game the fact that its getting defended now is comical

StueyDuck

MS paid top dollah for crossfire X to breach into the Eastern market.

That game was never meant for western audiences but rather the disgusting amount of people that play the OG crossfire

Zathalus

ms paid for this and advertised this as being an exclusive people should care about it was released in a horrid state, this wasnt just a third party game being released, this was something xbox took pride in being an exclusive the game was legit unplayable no one defended this game the fact that its getting defended now is comical
Sony marketed Forspoken as this amazing exclusive as well. Platform holders make bad judgement calls on third party games all the time. Hell Sony bet on the Knights of the Old Republic remake that is such a disaster it didn't even get gameplay footage.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sony marketed Forspoken as this amazing exclusive as well. Platform holders make bad judgement calls on third party games all the time. Hell Sony bet on the Knights of the Old Republic remake that is such a disaster it didn't even get gameplay footage.
Op will probably say that was Microsoft's fault too.

havoc00

Forspoken was still playable and decent was it great ? No but was it literal shovelware tier no, again I don’t blame ms for just throwing Redfall out because they inherited it but when you make bad call after bad while being behind the market leader you have some soul searching to do and releasing crossfire, Redfall and your blockbuster starfield being lackluster it makes people question things.

Gollum wasn't an exclusive, the campaign was poorly reviewed also. Forspoken is like a 6 critically compared to the worty contender that corssfire x was.
We need this in emoji form around here:
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not sure what you are going on about. CrossfireX was not an XGS game. It was as much an exclusive as Scorn, The Medium, or any other third party developed and published game that was paid to be console exclusive for some period of time. Also it was already a successful multiplayer game on PC and I think Xbox was taking a swing at bringing it to console hoping to get another PUBG like win.

havoc00

We need this in emoji form around here:
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not sure what you are going on about. CrossfireX was not an XGS game. It was as much an exclusive as Scorn, The Medium, or any other third party developed and published game that was paid to be console exclusive for some period of time. Also it was already a successful multiplayer game on PC and I think Xbox was taking a swing at bringing it to console hoping to get another PUBG like win.
It was a game they were confident to advertise throw on game pass even after the terrible beta and no improvement on the beta to release. It’s not a conspiracy the game was on worst game lists of that year. If ms didn’t sense that from the beta and check ins during development than I don’t know what to say about the quality control

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I play my series x more than my ps5 but to gloss over why Xbox is where they are now yea I’m aloud to criticize things sorry
I didn't say you weren't allowed, it's just that your crossfire criticism isn't going well. If you had just said "I want to complain about Xbox" from the outset, you'd have probably been more successful than you have been here. I'm only pointing out now that you started with the premise that Crossfire was emblematic of a big failure, that hasn't worked out so you're having to drag Starfield into the conversation as backup.

havoc00

I didn't say you weren't allowed, it's just that your crossfire criticism isn't going well. If you had just said "I want to complain about Xbox" from the outset, you'd have probably been more successful than you have been here. I'm only pointing out now that you started with the premise that Crossfire was emblematic of a big failure, that hasn't worked out so you're having to drag Starfield into the conversation as backup.
The main point is the quality control isn’t there at ms currently, crossfire starfield Redfall the new forza etc. hell even the launch of halo infinite and if we want to go back the launch of mcc

Last edited:
It was a game they were confident to advertise throw on game pass even after the terrible beta and no improvement on the beta to release. It’s not a conspiracy the game was on worst game lists of that year. If ms didn’t sense that from the beta and check ins during development than I don’t know what to say about the quality control
No, like I actually am confused about what you think Sony or Microsoft do when they moneyhat a game. They did not develop this game. They did not commission this game. They did not publish this game. What right do they have to do quality control on it? Do you think they are checking in on the studio and deciding the direction of the game?

They were trying to hopefully get a hit multiplayer game from a studio which already had one in Asia. They paid to moneyhat it, and then advertised it because they had put money into it. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Remember Sony pushing No Mans Sky? Didn't work out so well for that one. On the other hand, they had pretty good success with FFVII remake part 1.

SJRB

Gold Member
"We need something, anything" was probably their mindset after yet another year of non-deliveries.

Ozriel

M$FT

No. SmileGate is the publisher. They paid for this. Microsoft would certainly have provided some technical and financial support, but claiming they ‘paid for it’ is as silly as saying Sony paid for FF7R or Forspoken.
Do you not know what a publisher is?

A game published by SmileGate is a third party game.

Crossfire X is not being defended here. It’s a shit game. The only ludicrous defence here is you stubbornly sticking to a nonsensical position. Remedy made a shit campaign. SmileGate made a shit MP mode. Peer pressure and bandwagon effect is pushing you into defending a shit premise.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom