• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hope MGS1 remaster isn't based on the old PC version

VulcanRaven

I hope they aren't using the old PC version when re-releasing the game later this year. I'm a bit worried about that because it could the easiest thing to do probably. They could emulate the PS1 version on PS4/5 but that isn't the case if it gets released on Xbox and Steam too. The PC version had problems like missing music and I'm not fan of the new graphics. The new textures look too soft and affect the atmosphere. There is just something about that PS1 look that is very important to the game. Would be great if they gave us different graphic options.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

If it's ps1 emulation how are they gonna make that for Xbox? Is the collection announced for PC and xxbox

diffusionx

Gold Member
Who even knows if the PC version's assets are available, you know how these companies were in the 1990s. Or the PSX version - no idea how they will go.

VulcanRaven

If it's ps1 emulation how are they gonna make that for Xbox? Is the collection announced for PC and xxbox
They talk about platforms but nothing more:

"Simultaneously, we will deliver the METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION allows fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms."

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Being PS1 emulation shouldn't prevent it from being on Xbox. Duckstation is on both (via dev mode of course, but official sources can probably do it too).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't think those are new textures, just texture filtering enabled, no dithering, etc. Obviously you'd hope they fix bugs and/or originally missing things regardless of which version is the base and like, actually remaster it rather than dump it as is and call it a day, you know?

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Don't think those are new textures, just texture filtering enabled, no dithering, etc. Obviously you'd hope they fix bugs and/or originally missing things regardless of which version is the base and like, actually remaster it rather than dump it as is and call it a day, you know?
It does make the graphics look soft. Almost like you lose details. Originally they wanted to update the textures more on PC but Kojima didn't like that:

0MwQLNkoQ-RnBqf15bqYYsOIlMYO1700hj0VK1MeWWQ.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
Being PS1 emulation shouldn't prevent it from being on Xbox. Duckstation is on both (via dev mode of course, but official sources can probably do it too).

they will need to change dialog tho. Campbell Literally tells you out loud to press the Select Button n stuff lol.

I really wonder how they'll do that on either system as neither has a select button

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Doesnt Duckstation require a BIOS? Absolutely illegal. Of course they could reverse-engineer the BIOS but it might be easier and more future-proof moving forward to just port the game to a modern engine and remake whatever wasnt saved. That has been the approach of lots of these types of projects, like, ahem, GTA3.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The new textures look too soft and affect the atmosphere. There is just something about that PS1 look that is very important to the game.
oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

Let me guess, you didn't like it when they made Mass Effect 1 not look like dried up cum in Legendary Edition either?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Doesnt Duckstation require a BIOS? Absolutely illegal. Of course they could reverse-engineer the BIOS but it might be easier and more future-proof moving forward to just port the game and remake whatever wasnt saved.
I don't mean they'll literally use Duckstation. I meant that PS1 emulation is 100% reliable on Xbox and PC so THAT side of emulating MGS1 on those consoles will not be a problem on a hardware level.

Dane

It does make the graphics look soft. Almost like you lose details. Originally they wanted to update the textures more on PC but Kojima didn't like that:

0MwQLNkoQ-RnBqf15bqYYsOIlMYO1700hj0VK1MeWWQ.jpg
Didn't know that detail during development, but perhaps it only applied to face textures because they were missing drawn eyes? The PC version also features a FPS camera.

Calverz

It’s going to be the ps3 emulated version of wager. Which is a shame, because a duckstation variant would be amazing and much better for fans.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Interesting. So Konami might use duckstion backend for this?
My guess is they port the game, I dont think they would use emulation. Porting it lets you put it on more platforms moving forward, modern codebase, modern source control, etc. But if they do, they'll have to do it in a legal way as Duckstation requires a BIOS.

I played MGS1 when it came out on PSX, but I also beat it again before MGS4 when they released that compilation that was just the discs running on a BC compatible PS3. IT's a good game and I enjoyed it but even 15 years ago that old PSX resolution and pixelation on a HDTV was rough, I doubt many would love it today in 2023.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It needs to be a native port with 4k Resolution HDR & high quality texture filter & AA, redone text and HD artwork for Codec.
Soundtrack needs at the minimum a 5.1 mix.
its not too much to ask for if they're leaving everything else as is.

Drew1440

Possibly, wasn't there a game released on Steam that was just the PS1 version wrapped in an emulator/front-end package?
I know Sony did something similar with PaRapper the Rapper remake on the PS4, which was the PSP version running in the emulator with replaced textures. Adapting that to the Xbox might be off the cards, though it would be funny if it did use the Windows release.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Whether or not it’s emulating the PSX version doesn’t matter for which platforms it’s releasing on. All sorts of games based on NES and SNES originals have been rereleased on other platforms.

yurinka

The logical step would be to hire someone to port to modern platforms the HD Collection that back in the time was developed by Bluepoint.

Edit: now I see that the Bluepoint collection didn't include MGS1.

Last edited:

Esppiral

The same way conker runs on Xbox under a Nintendo 64 emulator, what I fear the most is that we Euro peasants won't get the dubbed game in our languages...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hope they aren't using the old PC version when re-releasing the game later this year. I'm a bit worried about that because it could the easiest thing to do probably. They could emulate the PS1 version on PS4/5 but that isn't the case if it gets released on Xbox and Steam too. The PC version had problems like missing music and I'm not fan of the new graphics. The new textures look too soft and affect the atmosphere. There is just something about that PS1 look that is very important to the game. Would be great if they gave us different graphic options.

I get what you're saying.

It's like playing old arcade or cartridge games on MAME emulators for the first time 20 years ago and wow! They look too clean. And the much better res makes it look all jagged like a chainsaw while playing it on a CRT it didn't look too bad.

If you're going retro might as well retain the retro blocky low res look.

VulcanRaven

I get what you're saying.

It's like playing old arcade or cartridge games on MAME emulators for the first time 20 years ago and wow! They look too clean. And the much better res makes it look all jagged like a chainsaw while playing it on a CRT it didn't look too bad.

If you're going retro might as well retain the retro blocky low res look.
I have no problem with higher resolution but they need to give us option to use the PS1 textures as they were.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

I wonder how PS1 looks without texture warping. I'm sure if they threw on some good shaders, and emulated console version imitating a CRT look would be just fine. 4k lets shaders shine.

What a shame

I don't remember the cutscenes being that bad. The only one that stuck in my head was hopping on a missile. What was Kojima thinking?

Top Bottom