• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought myself a €10.60 Chinesen meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Wait, is the giant cup of soup looking thing Sweet and Sour sauce, or the dinky little cup of red stuff next to it?

I thought the little red cup was the sauce, and the cup was some kind of soup. I've never seen Sweet and Sour with stuff floating in it.

The tiny cup with red stuff is Sambal (probably Ulek).

They serve it separately because not all people like their 'Chinese' food spicy.

Good luck putting that shit in your mouth, like what's the point then ?

Ummm, what?

802.gif

The tiny cup with red stuff is Sambal (probably Ulek).

They serve it separately because not all people like their 'Chinese' food spicy.

Oh

In the US I've never seen that. Usually Sweet and Sour sauce would be in that sort of container, but would be a thick, neon red liquid, with maybe some red pepper or tiny pineapple pieces floating in it if the place is a little fancier.

And it would be five dollars, delivered to your door and they might even throw in a free egg roll.

I bought this for 13 RMB (less than 2 bucks).

Huge plate of kung pao chicken.

I can never justify buying "Chinese food" when I go back to the states. Living in China and getting food that's 10 times better for 10 times cheaper is such a game-changer.

and the gutter oil is so delicious

Deja vu.

As someone who gets different types of Asian food either from restaurants or take-out, with some pretty decent places around here actually, I can say you could do much better for your buck.

That is also literally the smallest carton of sweet and sour sauce I have ever seen.

That looks like a really good deal to me, given the portion sizes.

When we order Chinese, we get either one or two of those sweet and sour containers and use one full one or less. It is quite big...

Diodiablo

Banned
So are you telling me that the original guy spent 30 buck over a soup (Minestrone, not ministrone) a couple of fake american cannelloni and some bread and has the gall to be proud of it?

I hope at least he was dressed like a princess cause they fucked him good.

andycapps

So are you telling me that the original guy spent 30 buck over a soup (Minestrone, not ministrone) a couple of fake american cannelloni and some bread and has the gall to be proud of it?

I hope at least he was dressed like a princess cause they fucked him good.

That's why the thread was so legendary. He was so proud of his meal.

Sölf

Baked chicken... wtf?

Yeah, well. It's "Gebackenes Hühnerfleisch" in Germany, which would basically translate to "Baked Chicken". It's not the normal grilled or fried chicken, it's different. No idea what it's actually called in english.

Sölf;194912073 said:
Yeah, well. It's "Gebackenes Hühnerfleisch" in Germany, which would basically translate to "Baked Chicken". It's not the normal grilled or fried chicken, it's different. No idea what it's actually called in english.

roasted?

lol now i want some chicken.

Sölf;194912073 said:

Why is that so expensive? I mean I can get such thing in my german (fake) China imbiss for about 3-4€.

Sölf

Why is that so expensive? I mean I can get such thing in my german (fake) China imbiss for about 3-4€.

Probably because it's from a real restaurant that's just around the corner. It's normally only 9€ instead of 10.60€, but that with normal rice. So 1.60€ extra for the fried rice. And well, it's a "normal" (actually pretty big) sized meal from a restaurant, and they of course cost more than those from random Pommesbude B.

Mendrox

Because OP got ripped off... or well he lives in a euro country where living expenses are that expensive. You won't get that much here in Hamburg Germany for 3-4€ from a take out (look at the mass for a sec), but it's possible for 6-8 Euros (delivery).

Sölf;194913096 said:
Probably because it's from a real restaurant that's just around the corner. It's normally only 9€ instead of 10.60€, but that with normal rice. So 1.60€ extra for the fried rice. And well, it's a "normal" (actually pretty big) sized meal from a restaurant, and they of course cost more than those from random Pommesbude B.

But even then it doesnt look like "real restaurant food" at all and just the same thing you can get at all (fake) Chinese imbiss.

I dont know. In Düsseldorf for 10,60€ you can get far better food than what you posted.

Because OP got ripped off... or well he lives in a euro country where living expenses are that expensive. You won't get that much here in Hamburg Germany for 3-4€ from a take out (look at the mass for a sec), but it's possible for 6-8 Euros (delivery).

He is german, isnt he? I live in Solingen and even in Düsseldorf where a lot of Chinese, Korean, Japanese live, 10,60€ for that would be laughable. I am not even saying about the size of it, but from the picture it really doesnt look like restaurant food at all.

Sölf

But even then it doesnt look like "real restaurant food" at all and just the same thing you can get at all (fake) Chinese imbiss.

I dont know. In Düsseldorf for 10,60€ you can get far better food than what you posted.

He is german, isnt he? I live in Solingen and even in Düsseldorf where a lot of Chinese, Korean, Japanese live, 10,60€ for that would be laughable. I am not even saying about the size of it, but from the picture it really doesnt look like restaurant food at all.

I actually don't have that many chinese (or asian) restaurants here. I think my town has like... 3? At least I don't know any more (without 15-20+ minutes drive to another town). Might not look like restaurant food because of packaging. I don't know. Doesn't look that much different to the fried rice and chicken I get in any other chinese restaurant I have visited so far. Might also be that the prices in my region are simply higher. No idea. At least it tastes good. So all is well, I guess?

Chuckie

Oh

In the US I've never seen that. Usually Sweet and Sour sauce would be in that sort of container, but would be a thick, neon red liquid, with maybe some red pepper or tiny pineapple pieces floating in it if the place is a little fancier.

And it would be five dollars, delivered to your door and they might even throw in a free egg roll.

Here in the Netherlands we have a mix of what you mentioned and the one in the OP. So a small cup with sambal ulek and a bigger cup with the neon red shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom