• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just saw Terminator: Dark Fate

SantaC

What a fucking trainwreck! Somehow this movie reminds me of Ghostbusters 3 with its female lead. I liked Hamilton in in T2, but she is wasted here. Didnt care for anyone of them. Even Genisys was better than this shit. Yes it is that bad.

Terminator: Dark Feminists.

black_13

Banned
I didn't mind it actually. Had some interesting takes like the Automation taking over the factory jobs and I thought Linda Hamilton was badass! Ending just felt rehashed from previous movies though.

They should really move past the pre-judgement day stuff and make a movie after sorta like Salvation was doing.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ya it sucked, no 2 ways about it. Anything with Danny or the T Juan thousand was bad. Just rip off and rehash of the first 2 movies but way less believable.

The whole movie really just shows how out of ideas they were, when all they could come up with is another AI thats totally not skynet but is exactly like skynet and builds a time machine and sends back terminators, but its not skynet.

Rockondevil

I had fun. The action was decent. Obviously after 2 the movies changed a lot and if you don't like that change it's probably recommended you don't continue to watch the franchise.
I would like to see some future war movie sometime as that's generally been only brief footage throughout the series.

HE1NZ

Banned
It sucked. I actually hated action even more than the story. At least Grace was interesting, but I can't stand these weightless digital marionettes throwing each other around Men of Steel style - it's super ugly. Why can't they do it like video games do with motion capture and stuff? Terminator franchise is some sort of money laundering scheme. They made 3 in 10 years and all lost money. They never stop to think what goes wrong every time.

Skyfox

I would like to see some future war movie sometime as that's generally been only brief footage throughout the series.

Have you played the new game? It's all future war and it's pretty good (it's a bit like alien isolation though - not all out action).

Rockondevil

Have you played the new game? It's all future war and it's pretty good (it's a bit like alien isolation though - not all out action).

I haven't yet. I watched AngryJoe play a bit and the AI looked very bad, however I am still interested and will likely play it at some point in the near future.
I'm not really one to exploit AI and sit in a spot they can't get while shooting them so that shouldn't affect me like it does some.

They will keep on milking these franchises until no one gives them a penny for it anymore..
It has been creatively bankrupt since after the second one.

xrnzaaas

I wonder how it feels to watch Woke Fate straight after seeing T2 for the first time. You had a whole movie about protecting John Connor (technically two, because he wasn't born yet in T1) and here he's just killed off in a short scene. Not to mention it was done to make room for a politically correct character that looks super silly to become the leader of the resistance.

And don't get me started on Arnie's character. A spoof movie of Terminator couldn't even come up with a crazier shit than this. They've turned him into a complete pussy. It's 100 times worse than "pops" T-800 from Genisys.

Last edited:
Sometimes you wonder how crap like this gets bankrolled and filmed, but then you realize somebody's gotta launder billions in drug cartel cash and it might as well be hollywood.

sol_bad

The movie had some issues but it was pretty good overall. The action was great to watch.
One thing I have noticed is that the CG looked pretty darn good on an IMAX screen at the cinemas but it looks quite bad on a small screen.

MetalAlien

Banned
it's aight, lots of goodbyes

the future war footage was sublime, next director should springboard that
giphy.gif

mcjmetroid

It's not bad let's be honest but it's just... there.

Some of the action scenes were very goofy.
They keep missing the point with these movies, you don't HAVE to keep going bigger and bigger with your action scenes.

I enjoyed it. I feel the Terminator franchise is a bit like the Alien franchise. Even if a new entry is a decent/good film, the first couple films in each franchise are so iconic that they will never be able to compare to them. Dark Fate was a decent action movie, it will never be T2, but then (Mad Max aside) what action film in the past 10-20 years has come close to T2?

Garbage movie. It's a retelling of the same old story with a woke take. The new messiah is a woman because fuck men. The new messiah is mexican because orange man bad. Immigrants good.

Mackenzie Davis was ok. It was cool seeing Linda as Sarah Connor again. That's it.
The Cuckinator was terrible. I thought Arnold's part couldn't be any worse than in GeNySys. I was wrong.

I see people praising the action scenes. I was completely bored watching it. These over the top chases do nothing for me. It's like watching CGI armies clashing.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
It was allright for what it was, fairly mindless sci-fi action. I long ago stopped expecting anything extraordinary from the Terminator franchise, so I wasn't disappointed.

I just watched it because of this thread. I was shitting on it hard when it was coming out but it really does just... Exist. If anything it feels like an AU comic turned into a movie.

I think it would have done better if it was a CG film and straight to Netflix, a lot of the action sequences were really cartoony in parts especially anything CG heavy with the Rev9.

First hour I was really vibing it NGL, the "ORANGE MAN BAD" shit isn't really there though? Yeah it has border patrol but wasn't that around way before Trump? Lmao. Just because it's relevant rn it's culture war worthy. Once "Carl" came into it and the plane part felt like I was watching a Universal Studio ride the film lost me.

I didn't think Dani was THAT bad, I like how she cares for the other characters, the different histories between them was written well enough at least for there to be an illusion for you to care for them but... The end result amounts to nothing. The story has been told before.

Didn't do well because zoomers aren't gonna care about the Terminator and Tim Miller couldn't shut the fuck up. I'm feeling a 5 or 6 out of 10 personally.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It sucked. I actually hated action even more than the story. At least Grace was interesting, but I can't stand these weightless digital marionettes throwing each other around Men of Steel style - it's super ugly. Why can't they do it like video games do with motion capture and stuff? Terminator franchise is some sort of money laundering scheme. They made 3 in 10 years and all lost money. They never stop to think what goes wrong every time.
This so much.

I was watching Matrix and Matrix: Reloaded the other day and say what you want, but the fight scenes looked so damn good compared to some shit today. There was still a lot of wire work despite having lots of cgi and with very few exceptions (the Agent Smiths in the fighting clone scenes) it looked like real people being tossed around. Even the Agent Smith clone battle looked better than some newer movies tbh.

Fwiw though I did like T3. But it should've ended after that.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Garbage movie. It's a retelling of the same old story with a woke take. The new messiah is a woman because fuck men. The new messiah is mexican because orange man bad. Immigrants good.

So the original films the messiah is a male because fuck women? And he is white because immigrants are bad?

So the original films the messiah is a male because fuck women? And he is white because immigrants are bad?
Huh... No. It was Cameron's vision. There was no agenda to shit on women or minorities then. And those were original characters. Not gender/race swapps to please twitter nut jobs.

MrMephistoX

It's not bad let's be honest but it's just... there.

Some of the action scenes were very goofy.
They keep missing the point with these movies, you don't HAVE to keep going bigger and bigger with your action scenes.
If you're a woman you can sell it on the internet.

It’s fine but like Toy Story 4 it’s totally unnecessary. To echo what others have said it would have been better without shoe-horning Arnold and Linda Hamilton in: I could watch McKenzie Davis all day.

Mohonky

I liked it; as far as Terminator movies go post T2, it's not bad.

People need to get away from comparing or expecting anything like it, that movie was just the right time with the right actors and everything about it just came together perfectly. As far as Sci-Fi action movies go, it's not like the movies following have been terrible it's just expectations from such a recognisable franchise are always going to effect them.

StormCell

Haven't seen it yet. I liked the cheese factor of Genisys. They could have left it at that.

Personal opinion: They were never gonna live up to the future that T1, T2, and T3 depict. It's almost the same issue/challenge that the Matrix movies run up against. No amount of plot writing can escape the usual pit falls that occur when depicting some "Super AI" because a bunch of disorganized humans getting slaughtered by super machines doesn't make for exciting writing unless something unrealistic occurs to even things up.

Besides, the key driving element of the first three movies is the mystery around John Connor becoming that unnatural balancing force in the future. Trying to depict that future kinda ruins everything. We never know why Connor is such an excellent leader. It's better off left that way.

If they want to make new Terminator movies, they should prepare to retcon the entire story. Just get it over with and go even further back in time or something. From even further into the future, send an army. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom