• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like Manor Lords a lot. Other good ones similar?

Never thought I'd be a fan of over the top style games, but I'm a big fan of Manor Lords. Obviously it's not as heavily combat focused and id like one with more, but I like the combo settlement building and military. And good recs?

Stronghold?
neat GIF

DCDW

Total Warhammer 3 if you're down with Fantasy, of course there's a ton of other Total War games that are based more on historical timelines/events/locations if you like to keep that aspect.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The Age of Empires series might be worth checking out. Offers a good mix of base-building/economy management and combat.

Antiquity (think ancient Greece, Babylon, etc). The first game, mechanically it's pretty dated compared to its successors, but the campaigns are pretty fun (Holy Man wololo) and if you're a fan of that era of history, it's well worth your time.

Middle Ages. One of the best-regarded RTS games of all time, it feels very similar to AoE1 but brings a ton of additions and QoL improvements.

Age of Exploration (focus on gunpowder). My personal favorite, though some hardcore fans of the series think it feels dumbed-down compared to AoE2.

Middle Ages (again). This is the most recent game in the series and does a good job of onboarding newcomers.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Beside Age of Empires & Age of Mythology you can try Banished or Timberborn which are closer to ML.

I highly recommend Anno 1800, it's AWESOME and there is a lot of content with all the DLCs. I've put hundred of hours in it but be aware it's a lot more complex than Manor Lords.

The way production, trade and combat works in ML reminds me a lot of the old city builders Caesar III and Pharaoh, both amazing games. If you check out Pharaoh make sure to get the old version though and not the buggy ass remake.

Hudo

combo settlement building and military. And good recs?
Stronghold: Definitive Edition
Stronghold: Crusader (I reckon that they're working on a definitive edition of that game as well)
The Settlers IV
Age of Empires II (although it is actually a RTS and not a city builder, it has fairly detailed base building mechanics compared to other RTSs)
Age of Mythology (same reasoning)
Northguard
Farthest Frontiers (still in development, early access.)
Grand Ages: Rome (YMMV on this one. It has flaws)

Although you can have military conflicts as well, Anno isn't really about that. Yet, I can recommend:

Anno 1701
Anno 1404
And maybe, if you are OK with DLC platforms as business models and Ubisoft account bullshittery: Anno 1800

Same can be applied to Impressions Games' city builders (they're GOATed, tho):

Caesar III (play it with the Augustus mod)
Pharaoh
Zeus: Master of Olympus
Emperor: Rise of the Middle-Kingdom

Last edited:
Stronghold: Definitive Edition
Stronghold: Crusader (I reckon that they're working on a definitive edition of that game as well)
The Settlers IV
Age of Empires II (although it is actually a RTS and not a city builder, it has fairly detailed base building mechanics compared to other RTSs)
Age of Mythology (same reasoning)
Northguard
Farthest Frontiers (still in development, early access.)
Grand Ages: Rome (YMMV on this one. It has flaws)

Although you can have military conflicts as well, Anno isn't really about that. Yet, I can recommend:

Anno 1701
Anno 1404
And maybe, if you are OK with DLC platforms as business models and Ubisoft account bullshittery: Anno 1800

Same can be applied to Impressions Games' city builders (they're GOATed, tho):

Caesar III (play it with the Augustus mod)
Pharaoh
Zeus: Master of Olympus
Emperor: Rise of the Middle-Kingdom
Thanks for all the details. I'll check all these out

Top Bottom