• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of The Fallen | Review Thread

What scores do you think Lords of The Fallen will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 58 23.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 83 34.0%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 48 19.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That Gamespot review is brutal.
as is lords of the fallen, according to them:

Couple this lack of checkpoints with levels that pile tough enemies together in rapid succession and it’s a recipe for frustration. Many times, when you enter a new area, you'll jump into a mini-boss fight against an enemy that's not quite as tough as Lords of the Fallen's main bosses, but tough enough. Soon after you defeat these enemies, you'll start seeing them in levels as regular enemies.

The thing is, Lords of the Fallen has a tendency to reward killing a big former-boss enemy with another one just ahead. And another one after that. And another after that. Stacking enemies like these in a row means long, slow fight after long, slow fight, where a mistake or two means death--and that means redoing all those other long, slow fights...]

Hot5pur

I can respect the reviewer disliked some things, but I don't see how "the bad" warrants a 5 lol.
They gave the original lords of the fallen 8 haha..(not the same reviewer). This same guy gave thymesia an 8 as well...reviewers are weird, feels like he just wanted some clicks (which he got from me, so mission accomplished I guess)
KUHbXoi.jpg

Edit: this is gamespot

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I can respect the reviewer disliked some things, but I don't see how "the bad" warrants a 5 lol.
They gave the original lords of the fallen 8 haha..(not the same reviewer). This same guy gave thymesia an 8 as well...reviewers are weird, feels like he just wanted some clicks (which he got from me, so mission accomplished I guess)
KUHbXoi.jpg

The reviews for this game are all over the place. Souls fans love i but reviewers are either hating or loving it.

bender

What time is it?
KUHbXoi.jpg

My prediction of 62 MC lives!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
From what it sounds to me, aside from performance issues and some bugs, this is the first game that has likely come close to rivaling FROM's Souls series.
You can tell by how heated thing are and the wild range of review scores. I'm probably going to pick this up and play the whole thing co-op with someone if that's possible (do items and stuff carry over? don't really care about story progression for the other player).
Did you just opt to ignore lies of p this year ? Because it’s maybe a hair shy of FS quality.

Hot5pur

Did you just opt to ignore lies of p this year ? Because it’s maybe a hair shy of FS quality.
Yeah that one too, but it seems it also got hammered if it was indeed FS level of quality and ended up low 80s, which is still great, but it seems to me any FROM comparisons will result in hypercritical reviews.
Either way, 3 amazing games this year borrowing from the souls formula, Remnant 2, Lies of P and this one. Now if only there was enough time to play them all :)

I hate when there are so many games coming out that you can't fully enjoy the current game you're playing. Still playing Pinocchisouls. Xbox version should be up to par by the time I'm done though.

KUHbXoi.jpg

sounds like a matter of taste cause most of the criticism could be applied to any souls like...you not supposed to fight every boss...running past them is the point.

Naru

That Gamespot review is brutal.
"Levels are twisting and confusing, leading to a lot of wasted time" ... damn. Levels in BB/DS are always very well crafted. Even in LoP.
I played but never finished the first one. It wasn't a good game imho. Might skip this one as well.

Last edited:
Well, just spent some time and checked some reviews, it appears the game is pretty much fundamentally flawed.

1. Extremely aggressive on packing enemies on maps, you are constantly 1v5 in combat.
2. Broken enemy aggro, players say they died from fireballs two levels far away.
3. Parry and stagger meter system, but parry is the highest risk least reward move.
4. Broken NG+ systems, it appears that in the new game plus you will permanently lose all the "bonfires" and instead can only have a temporary one that cost you limited materials.
5. Optimization is no good, possibly due to having to load two worlds simultaneously.

Well, that's gonna be a hard pass for me. Better wait for Lies of P and Elden Ring DLCs.

Lux R7

Well, just spent some time and checked some reviews, it appears the game is pretty much fundamentally flawed.

1. Extremely aggressive on packing enemies on maps, you are constantly 1v5 in combat.
2. Broken enemy aggro, players say they died from fireballs two levels far away.
3. Parry and stagger meter system, but parry is the highest risk least reward move.
4. Broken NG+ systems, it appears that in the new game plus you will permanently lose all the "bonfires" and instead can only have a temporary one that cost you limited materials.
5. Optimization is no good, possibly due to having to load two worlds simultaneously.

Well, that's gonna be a hard pass for me. Better wait for Lies of P and Elden Ring DLCs.

the first 4 points are not flaws or broken mechanics, just gameplay aspects that you may like or not.
Maybe they'll patch the aggro.

So is it worth 50 bucks?
Not sure tbh, I'll have to play it a bit more over this weekend to see how I feel about it. But in that Gamespot review, at least the last 2 points on the bad category are kinda spot on. The trash mobs have too much HP, and it's a chore to fight them so on more than one occasion I just started running past them.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Disappointed, to be honest.

Only put about 3 hours in, but the camera is awful and the performance is all over the shop. I just don’t understand why you would add all these effects and graphical bells and whistles, to simply rank the frame rate.

Will stick at it though.

DemWalls

"Levels are twisting and confusing, leading to a lot of wasted time" ... damn. Levels in BB/DS are always very well crafted. Even in LoP.
I played but never finished the first one. It wasn't a good game imho. Might skip this one as well.

That's actually one of the most confusing points of the Gamespot review, honestly. If there is one thing most other reviews praise, even lukewarm ones, it's the level design.

I'd agree if this isn't a head over heels souls like game. They are all design flaws as a souls like experience.

Flaws as they may be, I don't think they are things that cannot be (relatively) easily fixed with a future patch, and the developers really seem to take feedback at heart.

Couple this with the performance updates that the game definitely needs, and I think it may be worth it to wait a few months before going in. It sounds that, with some fixes, the game could be very, very good.

GymWolf

KUHbXoi.jpg

Of course they want the clicks, it is the same with eurogames 4\10.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not surprised by the mix reviews. The previous game was bang average and it doesn't look like the developer has made any improvements.

Hard pass.

Kindela

Banned
Of course they want the clicks, it is the same with eurogames 4\10.
4/10 is a valid review like any other. The question is do you usually agree with the tastes and scores from that same reviewer.
I consider plenty of games I played as 2/5. Those are the games I didn't like, and found nothing keeping me engaged enough to finish them.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Performance is absolute ass on PS5.

Just got to first boss and it chugs into the 40s. Not sure I’ll be able to tolerate this level of fluctuation. It’s fucking irritating.

Lux R7

4/10 is a valid review like any other. The question is do you usually agree with the tastes and scores from that same reviewer.
I consider plenty of games I played as 2/5. Those are the games I didn't like, and found nothing keeping me engaged enough to finish them.

2/5 from your personal taste and 2/5 objectively are two separate things. There are objective things about a game controls/responsiveness, mechanics, graphical fidelity, audio quality, longevity, plot, lore etc that can be said about a game and that are beyond your personal taste. Reviews should focus more on those things in my opinion.

Kindela

Banned
2/5 from your personal taste and 2/5 objectively are two separate things. There are objective things about a game controls/responsiveness, mechanics, graphical fidelity, audio quality, longevity, plot, lore etc that can be said about a game and that are beyond your personal taste. Reviews should focus more on those things in my opinion.
It's impossible to be objective when reviewing games. A game that plays great, has tight and responsive controls, looks great and is great to hear, can still be boring to someone. If it feels like a chore to play, for whatever reason, and if you'd rather be playing something else, It means you don't like the game. Giving such a game a high score just because it's not technically busted, would be incredibly disingenuous from you, the reviewer.
Not to mention how boring it would be reading such reviews.

longevity, plot, lore
I'll let the first few points slide, but having these three under the objective column is just incorrect.

GymWolf

I use the full scale so i'm ok with 4/10 scores, but this one doesn't look like a 4 to me.

Even just the scope, the amount of content, the cool ideas like the double world and the lamp should at least guarantee a 6.

Lux R7

It's impossible to be objective when reviewing games. A game that plays great, has tight and responsive controls, looks great and is great to hear, can still be boring to someone. If it feels like a chore to play, for whatever reason, and if you'd rather be playing something else, It means you don't like the game. Giving such a game a high score just because it's not technically busted, would be incredibly disingenuous from you, the reviewer.
Not to mention how boring it would be reading such reviews.

I'll let the first few points slide, but having these three under the objective column is just incorrect.

i feel like we lack a common base for this discussion, i think you can absolutely be objective about something like longevity or how coherent a story is, it's clear to me. And how boring is a game to you personally or how boring would be to read a review like that to you are non points to me.
We'll frankly have to just disagree and move on.

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
I use the full scale so i'm ok with 4/10 scores, but this one doesn't look like a 4 to me.

Even just the scope, the amount of content, the cool ideas like the double world and the lamp should at least guarantee a 6.
I strongly disagree.
If you were a reviewer, I wouldn't be reading your reviews in that case.

Zheph

Eurogamer is using a score up to 5 and don't even use the .5 so it can quickly go super low. I will let everyone judge if it's good or bad but they have demolished some perfectly fine games recently

GymWolf

I strongly disagree.
If you were a reviewer, I wouldn't be reading your reviews in that case.
I haven't played the game yet so i'm just brainstorming, the game just doesn't look bad enough to deserve a 4.

But yeah, cool original ideas and having a lot of handcrafted content, good level design and decent gameplay, decent art design etc. is enough to take a 6 in my book.

In a world where ugly ass grandmas non-games like animal fucking crossing has an mc higher than 4, a 6 for fallen doesn't sound too bad.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Imagine trying to argue with someone that thinks Forspoken is a legitimate great game. Talking about a lost cause son
Forespoken is so confusing to me. Why do people hate it so much? I got it and I am legitimately having a ton of fun and like the story and characters, not even annoyed by the main character and her bickering. Also got to the big twist and it all feels very satisfying. It's not a "great" game but I would definitely call it a "good" game. Maybe this is me getting old and having weird tastes.

DavidGzz

Yeah, opinions will be all over the place because some reviewers and youtubers like Cowboy are Souls-like fanboys, like me, so just the genre alone will give a game 2-3 points as long as the art direction, atmosphere, and gameplay style are there. So, for non-fanboys of the genre a 5-6 would be a 7-9. I mean, I didn't even feel burned by the first game though I bought it at launch, but I can still acknowledge that to many, it was a hot turd. I had fun with it so I just have no doubt I will like or love this one.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Forespoken is so confusing to me. Why do people hate it so much? I got it and I am legitimately having a ton of fun and like the story and characters, not even annoyed by the main character and her bickering. Also got to the big twist and it all feels very satisfying. It's not a "great" game but I would definitely call it a "good" game. Maybe this is me getting old and having weird tastes.
Hey mate we all have weird tastes at some point .. I surely like some games/movies/series that are universally agreed to be shitty .... and nothing will take my enjoyment of it ... but ... I certainly wont die on the hill of trying to convince the humanity that this specific piece of shit is indeed gold.. know what I mean ? 😅

But enjoy your game... thats the important thing... fuck the rest 😊

GymWolf

The game is a perfectly fine 6\10 game, people just tried the shitty demo or they got burned by the cringe writing in the tweets pre-launch.

But tbf, combat and traversal are the only 2 good things in the game.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah, opinions will be all over the place because some reviewers and youtubers like Cowboy are Souls-like fanboys, like me, so just the genre alone will give a game 2-3 points as long as the art direction, atmosphere, and gameplay style are there. So, for non-fanboys of the genre a 5-6 would be a 7-9. I mean, I didn't even feel burned by the first game though I bought it at launch, but I can still acknowledge that to many, it was a hot turd. I had fun with it so I just have no doubt I will like or love this one.
Souls-like games have too much specific conditions and mechanics IMO to be reviewed by "anyone", it is a specific genre for a specific niche of gamers.. and therefore should be reviewed only by souls fans, or at least give it a "two opinions" review... one fan and one not..

what is worst is that because of Elden Ring the reviewers integrating the "newly fanbase" will expect something in that helm .. and Elden Ring is by far the more mainstream souls game and should never be what is expect of the souls genre formula (imho).

Better to find reviewers that liked dark souls, sekiro and co. And see what they say about this game... thats what Im going to do

The fextralife review is very encouraging.

Roufianos

I might still check it out, after it's patched and the price is lower. I find it way more appealing than Lies of P, probably because I never got into Bloodborne.

Buggy Loop

Souls games are copy from Blade, ancient game in PC.

? Blade of Darkness?

Souls games are based on King’s field, series that was running since 1994. Was King’s field inspired by dungeon crawlers from the west? Well yes of course.

But no, I don’t think there’s anything comparable to Souls games that are made by From Software. Even if you say “x or y element was taken from Z game”, that’s like saying you’re a world renown chef when you cut a potato because chefs do too. It’s the whole package and what you do with ingredients that makes the difference.

Ogbert

I’m afraid to say it’s a bit shit. It has all the hallmarks of a bad soulslike. Shit camera, shit(ish) controls and lock on. Coupled with the crappy performance. Avoid for the time being.

A pity, as there is a lot of effort on show. The art direction is nice.

Also, this is exhibit A in why Lies of P is so, so good.

DavidGzz

Souls-like games have too much specific conditions and mechanics IMO to be reviewed by "anyone", it is a specific genre for a specific niche of gamers.. and therefore should be reviewed only by souls fans, or at least give it a "two opinions" review... one fan and one not..

what is worst is that because of Elden Ring the reviewers integrating the "newly fanbase" will expect something in that helm .. and Elden Ring is by far the more mainstream souls game and should never be what is expect of the souls genre formula (imho).

Better to find reviewers that liked dark souls, sekiro and co. And see what they say about this game... thats what Im going to do

The fextralife review is very encouraging.

I agree. Like if I worked for IGN, I should never be put in charge of reviewing something like Pokemon. I couldn't be objective. That's why I am brushing off these 5/10 or worse reviews. I cannot relate with those people.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yeah, dumb movie by CIGames to push the release of this game so earlier. Should have used another year in the oven, minimum. Now the devs iwll have to crunch patches and a roadmap for this game (maybe an expansion or two)

The difference between the game presentation is night and day
  • Peformance on PC is dreadful, even on powerful machines.
  • No backstabbing or stealth attacks?! (Lmao why)
  • The broken PVP/COOP
  • Washed out graphics
  • Terrible character creation, good luck trying to make anything that remotely look like the NPCs in the game
  • Boss combat and parrying feels janky, not bad, but it's no on the same level as FS games. Looks very different from the presentaiton, they clearly had to downgrade the whole thing
  • Lack of enemy variety isnt that much of an issue tbf.
  • Checkpoint system is bad.

I think the 7.5/10.0 score is fair. Would have been 8.0/10.0 if it wasnt for the dogshit peformance. It's better than the original (the original is like a 6.0/10.0) It could have easily been Dark Souls 4. I think UE5 and Outsourcing is to blame here. They will need to release an expansion and ultimate edition if they want to turn things arounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom