• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of The Fallen | Review Thread

What scores do you think Lords of The Fallen will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 58 23.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 83 34.0%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 48 19.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lokaum D+

Seems like a way to balance out blocking. Dodging attacks is so viable (especially since you also can quickstep) that blocking needs to be incentivized with breaking down the enemy’s posture. The timing on a parry is pretty generous though so they probably felt it necessary to add the risk of losing health, which you get back by successfully getting attacks in. A critical hit will reward ya with the rest of your health too so it all builds up.

I’m honestly enjoying the flow it creates in combat. Parrying is great for 1v1 battles while group battles make dodging and sidestepping the focus. I’m running dual wield daggers so I usually stick with dodging and side stepping but I still parry here and there.
nice, let me perfect parry this boss and be punished by doing so, great desing.

stickkidsam

I dont know perfect parry should award you for get timing right, getting damage by it it feels wrong. In Sekiro without Kuro's charm you get damage if you dont perfect parry but if you do you wont get damage which in my opinion how it should be.
I can understand why, but I think this game is closer to Bloodborne than Sekiro. Blocking isn’t really a thing in Bloodborne and the game incentivizes players to be aggressive with the Rally mechanic. It seems to me that Lords of the Fallen has a similar focus, but rather than regaining life after ya mess up, you regain life while taking a risk. The parry window is very large to accommodate this and the reward only comes from a string of successful parries.

nice, let me perfect parry this boss and be punished by doing so, great desing.
You’re only punished if ya fail to keep up with them. If you manage to keep attacking in between parries then you’ll regain health and eventually be rewarded with a chunky critical hit.

If you don’t want to risk that, dodging/sidestepping is right there. It’s up to you if ya want to go balls deep or not.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can understand why, but I think this game is closer to Bloodborne than Sekiro. Blocking isn’t really a thing in Bloodborne and the game incentivizes players to be aggressive with the Rally mechanic. It seems to me that Lords of the Fallen has a similar focus, but rather than regaining life after ya mess up, you regain life while taking a risk. The parry window is very large to accommodate this and the reward only comes from a string of successful parries.
But even Bloodborne you are not getting punished to parry, to me getting damage for parring just loses satisfaction of pulling off perfectly. At that point I rather have shorter window to parry than what Lords of Fallen is trying to do here.

Great game so far. Only issue is lack of polish- there are tons of little visual glitches with textures and stuff that I hope gets patched. HDR is broken.

The game itself including combat, exploration, etc is enjoyable. The first real boss is overturned. Her health pool is rediculous for the amount of damage we can do. She hits hard. There's nothing wrong with the ralley mechanic/wither damage or how blocking works. It's just a matter of coming to grips with it. I wish soul flay mechanic had more practical application in combat tho. It doesn't even work on bosses.

This is a legit souls like imo

Danjin44

It's fine you just have to adapt to suit the mechanics. I don't want every souls like to feel the same personally so I welcome it
For me this mechanics seems worse rather than different, I want to be rewarded when play well not punished, I rather have shorter window parry instead of forgiving parry but get damage anyway.

DavidGzz

For me this mechanics seems worse rather than different, I want to be rewarded when play well not punished, I rather have shorter window parry instead of forgiving parry but get damage anyway.

Are you even playing it? It's well balanced. You get a lot of stagger for the perfect parry and can replenish your life if you don't get hit again and get some hits in of your own. I'm 20+ hours in, it's a good system. The parry system in Dark Souls is so unforgiving and I much prefer this one.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Are you even playing it? It's well balanced. You get a lot of stagger for the perfect parry and can replenish your life if you don't get hit again and get some hits in of your own. I'm 20+ hours in, it's a good system. The parry system in Dark Souls is so unforgiving and I much prefer this one.
In my opinion that makes it satisfying when you pull it off but that’s just me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I guess this game must be good to play, becuase I watched dist playing and it looks so bad, janky, it looked really bad..sadge.

GymWolf

You’re only punished if ya fail to keep up with them. If you manage to keep attacking in between parries then you’ll regain health and eventually be rewarded with a chunky critical hit.

If you don’t want to risk that, dodging/sidestepping is right there. It’s up to you if ya want to go balls deep or not.
Some enemies do 3-4 hit combos and you can't hit between their hits, so if you are not full bar you can die by perfect parrying...not ideal.

Because of that i just evade everything.

DavidGzz

Some enemies do 3-4 hit combos and you can't hit between their hits, so if you are not full bar you can die by perfect parrying...not ideal.

But the parry is pretty easy so you can just parry them over and over to stagger them. That's how I make quick work of the spin to win skeletor dude.

GymWolf

Its just bad design and ppl are defending it, its so idiotic to loose health by perfect blocking
The only saving grace is that the grey health doesn't go away like in bb or lop, you have all the time to recover it.

I can see what they are going for, it's just not well thought, imo they just added this to not make it a 1:1 copy of the system in lop (that is already different than bb system) and not being called out for downright copying a mechanic, this way it has its own spin.

Other than that, i'm having fun with the combat, if only every fight scenario wasn't on a fucking cliff...

stickkidsam

But even Bloodborne you are not getting punished to parry, to me getting damage for parring just loses satisfaction of pulling off perfectly. At that point I rather have shorter window to parry than what Lords of Fallen is trying to do here.
Yeah that's fair. Personally I like it because it gives ya a distinctly different way of engaging the enemy than dodging, with a different (albeit delayed) reward. To me the health loss is more of an investment than a punishment, ya know? The punishment only comes if I fuck up.

The only things I see reminiscent of Bloodborne are the starting set for the Blackfeather Ranger and the damage/health mechanic.

In all other areas, it's closer to Dark Souls.
The game is definitely largely influenced by Dark Souls, especially in terms of map design and equipment.

It's the movement and rally system that I think it pulls from Bloodborne. Wasn't Bloodborne the game to introduce enemies picking up your souls as well?

I'm still early in the game (maybe I'll get my ass handed to me later lol) but the enemies I've fought so far with 3-4 hit combos have enough time between each attack to parry/dodge, attack, rinse, and repeat. If there's a bunch of weaker mobs I make sure to clear them out first.

GymWolf

Yeah that's fair. Personally I like it because it gives ya a distinctly different way of engaging the enemy than dodging, with a different (albeit delayed) reward. To me the health loss is more of an investment than a punishment, ya know? The punishment only comes if I fuck up.

The game is definitely largely influenced by Dark Souls, especially in terms of map design and equipment.

It's the movement and rally system that I think it pulls from Bloodborne. Wasn't Bloodborne the game to introduce enemies picking up your souls as well?

I'm still early in the game (maybe I'll get my ass handed to me later lol) but the enemies I've fought so far with 3-4 hit combos have enough time between each attack to parry/dodge, attack, rinse, and repeat. If there's a bunch of weaker mobs I make sure to clear them out first.
When i tried with the demon dude with the fire sword when he spin to win it was impossible unless you have a super fast dagger or something.

Wallmart malenia is slower tho, i give you that.

stickkidsam

When i tried with the demon dude with the fire sword when he spin to win it was impossible unless you have a super fast dagger or something.

Wallmart malenia is slower tho, i give you that.
Yeah there are some moves that ya just have to dodge. The dude with a cage on his head has a powered up smash I don't think you can block.

Zheph

Just started and did Pieta on a couple of tries, so far so good alto the cutscenes are a bit weird on a technical pov

GymWolf

Yeah there are some moves that ya just have to dodge. The dude with a cage on his head has a powered up smash I don't think you can block.
I think they are all blockable because if enemies have unblockable attack without any grahical effect like a red light or some shit, it would be a terrible game design choice.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I think they are all blockable because if enemies have unblockable attack without any grahical effect like a red light or some shit, it would be a terrible game design choice.
I do recall seeing a red aura on one of his head smashes like a charge up. I do agree that kind of attack needs to be telegraphed specifically. Sekiro had something like that I think.

Top Bottom