• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of The Fallen | Review Thread

What scores do you think Lords of The Fallen will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 32 13.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 58 23.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 83 34.0%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 48 19.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I'm glad I waited. I was really excited on the initial reveal and the more they showed things the more I felt I needed to read everything coming out. I enjoy watching some streamers like dist play it but definitely no where near the quality LoP has. I'll keep my eyes on it and maybe get it on a sale.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fightin' Cowboy liked it, and he's a high-skill streamer who's opinions I generally agree with.

To be honest though they'd have been far better advised to do what Team Ninja did with their games (as did the Lies Of P guys) and release a demo or test build ahead of release to gather feedback.

If you're releasing a challenging game of this type you need to be sure that everything is balanced properly, because you'll live or die on whether the audience likes how the combat feels.

Lokaum D+

But no, I don’t think there’s anything comparable to Souls games that are made by From Software. Even if you say “x or y element was taken from Z game”, that’s like saying you’re a world renown chef when you cut a potato because chefs do too. It’s the whole package and what you do with ingredients that makes the difference.
Lies of P says Hi, i dont know how ppl cant see how close LoP is from Fromsoft games, geez, its has some shortcomes, of course it does, but the game feels like a souls game from start to finish, if the game wasnt "so hard" pre-patch, would've been rated even higher.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Lies of P says Hi, i dont know how ppl cant see how close LoP is from Fromsoft games, geez, its has some shortcomes, of course it does, but the game feels like a souls game from start to finish, if the game wasnt "so hard" pre-patch, would've been rated even higher.

To me that's the furthest a souls like can be... and I say this having played Mortal Shell and trying the first LoTF for a couple hours before.

That game lacks what makes FS games feel fair great to play combat: Rhythm, proper timing, well telegraphed animations. I finished it and didn't feel the combat was anywhere close to other soulslikes let alone Sekiro which is the pinnacle in the genre, it's pretty unbalanced too in almost any aspect specially special effects like Shock which work different with more punishment for the player, the game doesn't hold a candle to anything FS has released, feels hard for the sake of it sending to a pit even basic game design principles just so it's "difficult". You can overcome with trial and error all of that but that's just it, reflexes and readability get fucked, and I say this having parried all the game since I wasn't one with that issue at least.

To me the game didn't feel satisfying to fight most of the time.

This LoTF seems leagues beyond in enemies animations but I'll probably wait a couple months to get it since it seems to lack some polish technically.

vkbest

? Blade of Darkness?

Souls games are based on King’s field, series that was running since 1994. Was King’s field inspired by dungeon crawlers from the west? Well yes of course.

But no, I don’t think there’s anything comparable to Souls games that are made by From Software. Even if you say “x or y element was taken from Z game”, that’s like saying you’re a world renown chef when you cut a potato because chefs do too. It’s the whole package and what you do with ingredients that makes the difference.
Even Miyazaki don’t believe that lie. The controls, animations and even interactions are much more closer to blade than kings field

As expected Mostly negative on steam due to Performance and crash, which is known for UE5. Same issue was in recently 2 titles launched.

ungalo

I disagree. I try to put difficulty aside because it's true that the game's difficulty was tiring for me, so i can be biased.

But still, in every way i think Lies of P is just not as good. And it doesn't have the thing that makes the game more than just the sum of its parts. It's not an adventure, the game's atmosphere never left its mark on me.

Don't want to sound like a From Software fanboy because i'm really not. But even the worst FS games like Dark Souls 2 and 3, there were so many surprises, a lot of variety, and even without the world design of DS1 i could feel something tangible behind it. It's hard to explain.

Thief1987

Seems like "journalists" and youtube talking heads strike again
screenshot_2023-10-136gf0u.jpg

Last edited:

Ogbert

I disagree. I try to put difficulty aside because it's true that the game's difficulty was tiring for me, so i can be biased.

But still, in every way i think Lies of P is just not as good. And it doesn't have the thing that makes the game more than just the sum of its parts. It's not an adventure, the game's atmosphere never left its mark on me.

Don't want to sound like a From Software fanboy because i'm really not. But even the worst FS games like Dark Souls 2 and 3, there were so many surprises, a lot of variety, and even without the world design of DS1 i could feel something tangible behind it. It's hard to explain.
I think you just far prefer high-fantasy adventure games.
Nothing wrong with that at all. You can forgive a game many things if the fundamental premise draws you in. I’m probably similar to you.

That said, I’m struggling with Lords of the Fallen as the basic combat is pretty shoddy. It’s fun and does the job, but there’s not a great deal of polish. The dodge mechanic is annoying, not least in terms of how it throws the camera around.

Also, Gos knows why they decided to have an opening level designed around minimal space and narrow lanes.

I thing Lies of P is a much, much better game in terms of core mechanics, but also agree that it has its faults.

Ogbert

PS5 performance captured.

As soon as anything complicated happens, the game drops to mid 40s. Especially evident in boss battles.

It's probably the only thing DS2 has over the other games.
Well, acktually... (adjusts glasses)

It is the best because all weapon types and magic types are equally valid ways to play to completion, its items have the best placement with regards to time investment, and it is the least linear in the order that its levels can be played... I am also far more impressed by the gameplay revisions in Seeker of Fire mod than any other game in the series.

Ogbert

This rainy section with vertical platforms is insanely annoying.

Just the strangest game design. It’s as if they’ve handcrafted a level to show up all the flaws in their combat system and optimisation.

Close to uninstalling.

Denton

I played for about an hour so far and zero issues. Looks great, runs perfectly smooth 60fps on my PC, no stutter (all ultra, 1620p, DLSS balanced). I wonder what the morons on steam are complaining about, probably their shitty PCs or outdated drivers.
There is a lot of tutorial messages at the start, but they are warranted because there are lot of mechanics here.
Combat feels great, not any worse than in fromsouls.
Frankly, if this game had "fromsoftware" logo stamped on, people would be creaming themselves as usual.

Few screenshots

lordsofthefallen2023s20dfh.png

lordsofthefallen2023suefk1.png

lordsofthefallen2023sf2cu8.png

lordsofthefallen2023sayeys.png

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

PS5 performance captured.

As soon as anything complicated happens, the game drops to mid 40s. Especially evident in boss battles.

Glad someone did this video because when I see others saying performance is just fine on their ps5 I’m baffled.

I’ve had multiple attempts on bosses hiccup and that hiccup is timed with a moment a dodge or parry was needed thus fucking shit up.

This game so far has been total diarrhea and if my backlog had anything I’d be playing that instead.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played for about an hour so far and zero issues. Looks great, runs perfectly smooth 60fps on my PC, no stutter (all ultra, 1620p, DLSS balanced). I wonder what the morons on steam are complaining about, probably their shitty PCs or outdated drivers.
There is a lot of tutorial messages at the start, but they are warranted because there are lot of mechanics here.
Combat feels great, not any worse than in fromsouls.
Frankly, if this game had "fromsoftware" logo stamped on, people would be creaming themselves as usual.

Few screenshots

lordsofthefallen2023s20dfh.png

lordsofthefallen2023suefk1.png

lordsofthefallen2023sf2cu8.png

lordsofthefallen2023sayeys.png
Looks incredibly detailed. I can’t play it till next week, but it looks promising. Spoiled gamers :)

Code Vein had a couple cool bosses that were straight out of Dark Souls, especially towards the end.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
if this game had "fromsoftware" logo stamped on, people would be creaming themselves as usual.
Not really, the artstyle, the character and monster design big give away that this not FROM game.

What got me in to FROM game even back in Armored Core series is their artstyle more than "difficulty" and for me personally none of this "Souls-like" captured same style.....they their best to coy them but its not the same.

GHG

Whichever reviewer/previewer said that the roll distance is too far and disengages from melee distance is a moron.

There are 2 rolls. A single press is normal roll (still within melee distance, as will all other souls and souls-likes), while double pressing it enables a roll that is of greater distance (disengaging the enemy from melee distance so you can use ranged or get in a heal etc).

So this idiot was spamming the roll button and then blamed the game?

I Cant Modern Family GIF by HULU

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pretty looking, but it’s just Souls Too the game for me. Great for people that want that same looking world over and over, but I’m getting bored with it.

Lokaum D+

Whichever reviewer/previewer said that the roll distance is too far and disengages from melee distance is a moron.

There are 2 rolls. A single press is normal roll (still within melee distance, as will all other souls and souls-likes), while double pressing it enables a roll that is of greater distance (disengaging the enemy from melee distance so you can use ranged or get in a heal etc).

So this idiot was spamming the roll button and then blamed the game?

I Cant Modern Family GIF by HULU
Yeah, roll spam is something new in souls games, blame the player for being standard rolling for the last two decades, not the devs that implemented a 10 miles roll at double press of a button.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Well, that tells a lot. He usually doesnt recommend games, but the fact he's conflicted tells a lot.

Denton

Steam reviews over 50 now and peak at 43075 - not great, not terrible. But word of mouth is going to be more and more positive as more morons update their drivers and actually play the game.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not one performance issue for me and PS5.
I don’t know how you can type this. Either you don’t know what a frame drop is or you’re opting to play in quality mode only.

This game is constantly dropping out of 60fps and rarely holds it. Eyeballing it looks like 40 some fps average when I play with pop in, and a variety of other visual issues.

Also I don’t know if it was this or another thread where someone said HDR is busted in this game so I tried it without and yep it is. I can actually see with HDR off now, and yes I did up the settings for the game. It’s way too dark .

S0ULZB0URNE

I don’t know how you can type this. Either you don’t know what a frame drop is or you’re opting to play in quality mode only.

This game is constantly dropping out of 60fps and rarely holds it. Eyeballing it looks like 40 some fps average when I play with pop in, and a variety of other visual issues.

Also I don’t know if it was this or another thread where someone said HDR is busted in this game so I tried it without and yep it is. I can actually see with HDR off now, and yes I did up the settings for the game. It’s way too dark .
Because I had no issues.

HDR is great for me but I hear some with OLED displays are having issues.

Lokaum D+

can someone explain to me WHY IN THE HELL YOU RECIEVE DAMAGE WHEN "PERFECT GUARD" OR "PARRY" ? what genius made this ?

Last edited:

stickkidsam

can someone explain to me WHY IN THE HELL YOU RECIEVE DAMAGE WHEN "PERFECT GUARD" OR "PARRY" ? what genius made this ?
Seems like a way to balance out blocking. Dodging attacks is so viable (especially since you also can quickstep) that blocking needs to be incentivized with breaking down the enemy’s posture. The timing on a parry is pretty generous though so they probably felt it necessary to add the risk of losing health, which you get back by successfully getting attacks in. A critical hit will reward ya with the rest of your health too so it all builds up.

I’m honestly enjoying the flow it creates in combat. Parrying is great for 1v1 battles while group battles make dodging and sidestepping the focus. I’m running dual wield daggers so I usually stick with dodging and side stepping but I still parry here and there.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seems like a way to balance out blocking. Dodging attacks is so viable (especially since you also can quickstep) that blocking needs to be incentivized with breaking down the enemy’s posture. The timing on a parry is pretty generous though so they probably felt it necessary to add the risk of losing health, which you get back by successfully getting attacks in. A critical hit will reward ya with the rest of your health too so it all builds up.

I’m honestly enjoying the flow it creates in combat. Parrying is great for 1v1 battles while group battles make dodging and sidestepping the focus. I’m running dual wield daggers so I usually stick with dodging and side stepping but I still parry here and there.
I dont know perfect parry should award you for get timing right, getting damage by it it feels wrong. In Sekiro without Kuro's charm you get damage if you dont perfect parry but if you do you wont get damage which in my opinion how it should be.

Top Bottom