• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I lost my ghost of tsushima disc & the virtues of digital

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
GoT was my 2020 goty and one of my favourite games of last gen, I went to open the case to fetch the disc to play the new content and it's not there.

Meanwhile, all my digitally purchased games are ready to be downloaded in my library.

Maybe I should stop clinging to things like physical formats for content.

edit: sorry for the blog post =(

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's an argument for both sides in terms of preservation. For basically every system I've stuck with physical whenever its available. I avoid the whole losing the disc conundrum by carefully returning the discs to the correct case. Works every time.

I did pick up a Series S though, and that's all digital. I'll give MS credit on their ecosystem. 95% of the stuff I wanted is available digitally, and it's great. As soon as I logged in, I had access to original Xbox games and 360 games I literally forgot I owned. It's all there. However, they still don't have stuff like Otogi 1 and 2 on the store, Gunvalkyrie, or Prince of Persia (2008).

You're going to be at potential risk of losing stuff either way. Sometimes physical is better, and sometimes digital is better.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe you should be responsible and not lose the disk?
What if it was actually ... stolen?

chipmunks-shock.gif

BlackTron

Buying the disk insulates you from problems with their servers, your account, and such unforeseen events in the future.

Buying digital insulates you from losing or destroying the disk by accident, or from your child placing it in an AC vent.

Weigh each purchase accordingly. There's no right or wrong here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Buying the disk insulates you from problems with their servers, your account, and such unforeseen events in the future.

Buying digital insulates you from losing or destroying the disk by accident, or from your child placing it in an AC vent.

Weigh each purchase accordingly. There's no right or wrong here.
Pretty much.

Soodanim

same way you lose your keys
Discs (games, music, video) should either be in the console/player or in the case. Anywhere else is a mistake and should not happen. At most, for a temporary switch, putting the disc inside the second disc's case for the time being is acceptable.

Keys are free spirits and roam wherever they please, and are found only if they want to be found.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I prefer digital however I’ve never lost a game in my life, including DS/3DS/Vita and Switch cartridges.

You take disc out of case, put it in console. You take disc out of console, put it back in case.

How hard is that? Even when I was buying my own disc games in high school they were all kept pristine.

Guilty_AI

Discs (games, music, video) should either be in the console/player or in the case. Anywhere else is a mistake and should not happen. At most, for a temporary switch, putting the disc inside the second disc's case for the time being is acceptable.

Keys are free spirits and roam wherever they please, and are found only if they want to be found.
What if the disc sundelly decides to identify itself as a frisbee?

sainraja

There's an argument for both sides in terms of preservation. For basically every system I've stuck with physical whenever its available. I avoid the whole losing the disc conundrum by carefully returning the discs to the correct case. Works every time.

I did pick up a Series S though, and that's all digital. I'll give MS credit on their ecosystem. 95% of the stuff I wanted is available digitally, and it's great. As soon as I logged in, I had access to original Xbox games and 360 games I literally forgot I owned. It's all there. However, they still don't have stuff like Otogi 1 and 2 on the store, Gunvalkyrie, or Prince of Persia (2008).

You're going to be at potential risk of losing stuff either way. Sometimes physical is better, and sometimes digital is better.
Prince of Persia (08) should be there. I have it in my library.....if you don't see it, I wonder if they removed it?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Prince of Persia (08) should be there. I have it in my library.....if you don't see it, I wonder if they removed it?
It shows up on a search, but can no longer be purchased. If you purchased it previously, you probably can still download it.

In the past I owned it physically. I've been digitally getting whatever old Xbox stuff I wanted since it's all on sale for dirt cheap. Just got 5 Splinter Cell games for $25 total.

Waiting on sales for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, then I think I'm done. But PoP is not available to purchase. I got Forgotten Sands for like $4 though.

DelireMan7

I always put the disk in the wrong case and it's a bugger when you have like 10 disks in the wrong cases when you come to play a particular game.
I never understood that. Some friends of mine do that and it's like an heresy for me. Each time to find one of their games, they have to open several cases.

Last time, my friend gave me one of the Zelda on DS (phantom hourglass or Spirit track can't remember). At home I open the case... Pokemon inside...

I am really not someone who is organized and is tidying up stuff but putting back a game in the right case when I am done with is something I always do.

balt1kr1s

Nah.
Every PlayStation network outage taught me a lesson.
With AAA releases I am 99% physical and they are ALWAYS cheaper. Psstore sale? Guaranteed permanent decrease in price of discs, it happens all the time.

The Shepard

I never understood that. Some friends of mine do that and it's like an heresy for me. Each time to find one of their games, they have to open several cases.

Last time, my friend gave me one of the Zelda on DS (phantom hourglass or Spirit track can't remember). At home I open the case... Pokemon inside...

I am really not someone who is organized and is tidying up stuff but putting back a game in the right case when I am done with is something I always do.

When I get a new game I usually put the one that was inside the console in the new games case, this is how it all starts.

sainraja

It shows up on a search, but can no longer be purchased. If you purchased it previously, you probably can still download it.

In the past I owned it physically. I've been digitally getting whatever old Xbox stuff I wanted since it's all on sale for dirt cheap. Just got 5 Splinter Cell games for $25 total.

Waiting on sales for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, then I think I'm done. But PoP is not available to purchase. I got Forgotten Sands for like $4 though.
Ah I see. I am glad I purchased it when I did. Hopefully they will make it available to buy again. I don't understand why they they stopped allowing purchase though.

REDRZA MWS

GoT was my 2020 goty and one of my favourite games of last gen, I went to open the case to fetch the disc to play the new content and it's not there.

Meanwhile, all my digitally purchased games are ready to be downloaded in my library.

Maybe I should stop clinging to things like physical formats for content.

edit: sorry for the blog post =(
I haven’t owned a physical disc since the Xbox 360 allowed them to be installation discs, then realized al the disc was is physical DRM. Went all digital never looked back. No clutter, no dealing with retail stores, games I really want pre load and are ready to play at midnight. Also, never having to get up and eject a disc or insert a disc to play a different game. Seems archaic now.

DonF

I had a case full of music discs, like 30 of them, original discs. One day my brother asked me for one disc...ONE! and he took the whole case...and it disappeared.... Hell yeah I believe in digital ...and I hate my brother.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I had a case full of music discs, like 30 of them, original discs. One day my brother asked me for one disc...ONE! and he took the whole case...and it disappeared.... Hell yeah I believe in digital ...and I hate my brother.
I lent a kid across the road from me my GTA3 PS2 disk and never got it back. From that day the desire for an all digital future started to grow.

Also when at Uni I had my PS2 and all my games stolen after a break in. I got a good haul of games from the insurance claim, but nowadays I can just disable that device and redownload my whole library on a replacement, I can almost invite criminals in safe in the knowledge they will never get access to my games.

Kuranghi

I had a terrible spate of luck with loaning media to people the last few years: Books returned with no cover and games with spillage damage so I've been more reluctant to do it recently, they mostly replaced the things they fucked but still annoying af.

Flutta

Banned
Smells like a PRO digital thread to me.

Lets play along. You lost one physical game. Now imagine forgetting your password, or someone hacks your account and changes your password. Or imagine this Sony, MS, Valve decides to lock your account for whatever reason etc. All your games are gone for good not just one but ALL OF THEM.

Physical all the way baby. Fuck them corpos 😎😎😎😎😎

My 💿 are either in console or in a case. No way I would ever lose it unless someone took it away. Maybe take care of your stuff more instead of using this as an excuse to agitate for all-digital paradise.

I won't ask you how ... but I've been all digital since 2013 and have no regrets. (apart from some special editions which I couldn't resist :pie_roffles: )

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My 💿 are either in console or in a case. No way I would ever lose it unless someone took it away. Maybe take care of your stuff more instead of using this as an excuse to agitate for all-digital paradise.

I'm not agitating for anything.

I'm just relaying a personal anecdote and my feelings about the situation...

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Smells like a PRO digital thread to me.

Lets play along. You lost one physical game. Now imagine forgetting your password, or someone hacks your account and changes your password. Or imagine this Sony, MS, Valve decides to lock your account for whatever reason etc. All your games are gone for good not just one but ALL OF THEM.

Physical all the way baby. Fuck them corpos 😎😎😎😎😎
As stated above, I lost my whole PS2 physical disc collection back in the day due to robbery.

With digital I can lock it behind MFA and there are methods to retrieving passwords that you forget.

Good thing is we have the choice (for consoles), I'll go all digital, you can go physical. There is no right or wrong, just difference in preferences.

Last edited:
I'm not agitating for anything.

I'm just relaying a personal anecdote and my feelings about the situation...
Feelings are temporary, Doom is eternal...
And it's the real GOTY of 2020; you lost nothing of value.

On a serious note, there are pros and cons for both physical and digital. Some people can't or don't relate because they're not, or have never been in a particular circumstance that puts either stance in a more favourable light.

On a side note, with games like GOT and Doom Eternal, where the devs churn out extra content digitally, does the physical copy really matter as much?

Personally I'd be peeved if I bought some physical copy from say, Limited Run Games and the game later gets major DLC that has to be downloaded separately. When I go for physical I want all the content to be on the disc/cart, no patches, no DLC.

Flutta

Banned
As stated above, I lost my whole PS2 physical disc collection back in the day due to robbery.

With digital I can lock it behind MFA and there are methods to retrieving passwords that you forget.

Good thing is we have the choice (for consoles), I'll go all digital, you can go physical. There is no right or wrong, just difference in preferences.

wait so you made a thread about losing one physical game and that was the turning point somehow why your going digital🧐.
Then people started questioning how you managed to even lose a physical disc you then add this whole thing about losing your whole PS2 collection to make your point. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Listen people can choose how to consume their entertainment, i dont really care tbh. We’ve had countless why i went digital threads. And most of them sound the same ”Why digital is better than physical because reasons”
Its like you guys are obsessed with why people still buy physical and want validation for your decision.

Top Bottom