• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I lost my ghost of tsushima disc & the virtues of digital

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
That Ghost of Tsushima disc just ghosted you.

As much as I was against going digital at first (I love to smell a new game! Like a book) for the last few years I've gone 100% digital.

With unlimited super duper fast internet I can install/uninstall whatever I want anytime. My PS5 is the digital Edition also.

GoT was my 2020 goty and one of my favourite games of last gen, I went to open the case to fetch the disc to play the new content and it's not there.

Meanwhile, all my digitally purchased games are ready to be downloaded in my library.

Maybe I should stop clinging to things like physical formats for content.

edit: sorry for the blog post =(
I have been all digital for most of the last gen. But with the price increases for next gen I find myself buying new games like Returnal used for half price.

For games that you know you will probably come back you I recommend buying digital but for games your not sure you will like get it a used physical copy.

sainraja

My transition to digital kind of happened organically (if I can call it that) and it started with Warhawk. It started with Warhawk mostly because it was my favorite online game since its release and I was playing it almost daily. When Sony put it on sale, I double dipped and got the digital as well; realized how great it is to just launch the game and start playing. After this, I didn't go digital completely.....it was still a slow transition. The main games I wanted I would buy physical first and if they went on sale (like really good sale), I might also grab the digital copy. Later, later I started buying digital first and told myself I'll get the physical once its on sale later down the line....but I realized that I would say this to myself and not actually buy the physical copy ever.

To give you all an idea of how late I started, it was with The Last of Us: Part 2. After that it's pretty much been digital for me.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
wait so you made a thread about losing one physical game and that was the turning point somehow why your going digital🧐.
Then people started questioning how you managed to even lose a physical disc you then add this whole thing about losing your whole PS2 collection to make your point. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Listen people can choose how to consume their entertainment, i dont really care tbh. We’ve had countless why i went digital threads. And most of them sound the same ”Why digital is better than physical because reasons”
Its like you guys are obsessed with why people still buy physical and want validation for your decision.
No.

I never made the thread. I made a post to the thread and referenced that in response to you.

You are the one that seemed to create some kind of drama about digital and physical and giving hypothetical scenarios. I simply pointed out a real life scenario that helped me form an opinion that all digital is better for me.

Maybe it was stolen instead. Check to see who had been coming over lately. Is this the first time that you'd lost something, or is it a recurrent theme (meaning some other is the culprit)? Who else has been wanting that game besides you? Sorry to hear about the lost of a great game disc.

now get rid of all your other discs and go 100% digital.

the last disc i bought on console was in 2014 just after i got a PS4. on PC my last disc was in 2005.

people like to argue that they'll still have their discs where as digital owners will lose access to games but these people seem to be stuck in 2001-2004 back when the PS2 was the must have console. from the 360/PS3 onwards it doesn't make sense to own a physical disc anymore cause so much is locked behind the internet. yeah you might have your disc but you'll be stuck with whatever is on it. you try argue your case to someone who has to play the version of Cyberpunk 2077 that comes on the disc cause they can't get any patches. say bye to your patchs that make 99% games functional and playable. say bye to all your DLC too. the day that i lose access to my Playstation games will also be the day that your disc is only good for playing a broken ass game or throwing it out the window to see how far it goes.

plus physical is a complete waste of materials (plastic/paper) which puts strain on the enviroment and it takes up way too much space. and of course it can be damaged/lost.

I let a friend borrow my sekiro disc before covid and I haven't seen it since. Was at isshin but hadn't beaten it yet 😓
consider that a blessing in disguise. i still have nightmares of fighting that cunt.

Last edited:

Yamisan

How messy is your house that you lost a $60 game disc that should never have left the area near your console?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This why a combination of streaming and a subscription only service is the future of gaming.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I bet it's sitting loose in the case with one of your other discs.

Bingo.

Just found it, inside the DS3 case. I already looked there twice but the discs were stacked and the one I was looking for was under. Third time I opened the case, both discs dropped on the ground.

j0hnnix

Have you checked other cases ? Did you switch from a PS4 to a PS5 and left the disc in the PS4 ? These are two possible scenarios. Reaching possible room mates have them, that is if you have room mates. If you do, question them with the Izanami's Grief sword.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Bingo.

Just found it, inside the DS3 case.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Biggest benefit to going digital is getting rid of all that clutter. I used to have a room filled with dvds/Blu-rays and games. So freeing getting rid of all that useless plastic.

GymWolf

When you discovered that the disc was not in his case, i bet you lost it (pun intended)

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I had my JP PSN account with my university email address. They changed to Office 365 without telling alumni that they will no longer have accounts and Sony refuses to give me back access. At least losing a game would be my own damn fault.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Losing a game disc is less of a hassle than losing the login credentials of your PSN account and thereby access to ALL of your games.

I went all digital since xbox one release and I've loved it. Since 2013 i only bought 2 games physical but that was for collectors editions.

Concern

It was so great you just lost it to make sure nobody else plays it? Lol

That fuckin sucks. So you'd have to buy the Ps5 version full price now if you want it.

BlackTron

Depends of where you get your digital games.

If you tend to lose or break stuff, the odds of keeping your game are much better on digital. I'm not saying everyone should be super concerned about losing all their PSN games suddenly. I just don't think we should be so overconfident, like it's impossible. Gaming history has shown time and again how quickly fortunes can change, yet we assume things will stay the same forever.

Whenever you are not personally in charge of your own media, it can go away due to circumstances 100% outside of your control, no matter what. No matter how reputable or unlikely, anything can happen.

Guilty_AI

Whenever you are not personally in charge of your own media, it can go away due to circumstances 100% outside of your control, no matter what.
Thats the key point here. If the store or dev allows you to be in charge of your own digital media, then you are 100% in control of your games.

I notice a lot of the criticism directed towards digital isn't a problem of the digital medium itself but rather regarding rights management measures companies may take.
And its worth mentioning said measures are something discs aren't necessarily safe against either.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PSN is so fucking slow, going full on digital is still questionable to me.
And having games on disc makes me feel more secure.

GuinGuin

Banned
Digital is far more secure. If you have a fire, spiteful girlfriend who throws them all in the trash, break-in, or some other disaster you can lose your entire physical collection. With digital you just sign in and it's all there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom