• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love the look of PC98 games aka the Anime PC game machine

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Both Knights of Xentar and Cobra Mission were shockingly legit for what they were.

It's better if we don't talk about Metal & Lace, though. That one is best forgotten.

fvng

Both Knights of Xentar and Cobra Mission were shockingly legit for what they were.

It's better if we don't talk about Metal & Lace, though. That one is best forgotten.

Thanks for everything MegaTech Software! I remember never owning a SegaCD and assuming getting Cobra Mission would be as close as i could get to playing Snatcher for some reason.

There was also Power Dolls, which I don't think had any lewd scenes, and it was a legitimately good game.

power-dolls_5.png

590396-advanced-power-dolls-2-pc-98-screenshot-trying-to-reach-the.gif

fvng

Wondering if there's a way to make modern 2D illustrations look like this. Is it just reducing the palette of an image??

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I really, really miss that late 80's/early to mid 90's Japanese aesthetic.

Or dare I say, Aesthetic.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've come to accept and celebrate the lewdness. I like my early '90s mecha combat with girls getting naked for little to no reason. Circle of life fam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really, really miss that late 80's/early to mid 90's Japanese aesthetic.

Or dare I say, Aesthetic.

The best era, indeed. I really hope we see a return to it someday.

BTails

Yeah! I've been wanting to play Dead of the Brain for a long time now! Hopefully translation goes well.

This was also one of the last PC Engine games, right?

I'm pretty sure the PC Engine got a compilation of Dead of the Brain 1 & 2. I'm honestly surprised that hasn't seen a fan translation yet!

Keyouta

If I wanted to get into PC-98 / older Japanese PC gaming, what would be the best way of doing that? What version of a PC-98 is the best, if there is one. What about the X68000?

Yahoo auctions?

s_mirage

If I wanted to get into PC-98 / older Japanese PC gaming, what would be the best way of doing that? What version of a PC-98 is the best, if there is one. What about the X68000?

Yahoo auctions?

Short of going to Japan, Yahoo auctions is likely the best place to buy stuff although you'll need to deal with a proxy. Personally, I've stuck to emulating the hardware as it's a bit of a minefield, not to mention expensive to ship.

The main issue is that buying a PC-98 is a bit like buying an old PC for DOS games: there's really no one size fits all solution. For example, if you wanted to play something like Policenauts you'd want some model of 9821, but those aren't so good for all older 9801 games. Additionally, some of the later models probably aren't so good for DOS PC-98 gaming at all. Then you've got to factor in that you might want one with a PC-9801-86 soundcard or compatible as that enhances the sound of a lot of games.

This forum might be informative if you're really interested in getting one, although it's not very active these days: http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/phpBB3/index.php

There's also a PC-98 subreddit.

cacildo

I REALLY want to get into PC88 emulation

It seems to have incredible games - but they are definitely not popular as emulated SNES and Genesis games

Im looking for the right emulator to start but it seems that even this is kinda difficult

Can somebody suggest me an emulator, a guide, anything?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I REALLY want to get into PC88 emulation

It seems to have incredible games - but they are definitely not popular as emulated SNES and Genesis games

Im looking for the right emulator to start but it seems that even this is kinda difficult

Can somebody suggest me an emulator, a guide, anything?

Will advise once you post photos of your physical PC88 games, along with a hand written timestamp and your neogaf forum name #AntiPiracy

What games are you looking to play?

cacildo

Will advise once you post photos of your physical PC88 games, along with a hand written timestamp and your neogaf forum name #AntiPiracy

What games are you looking to play?

Anything in english, for a start

I see there are a few games that were released in english - but just a few

And there are translations around that ill still see how they work

But first i need to at least make the games i see on Abandonia (See? im even with the #antipiracy gaf) work

I got a M88 emulator, but i cant run .fdd files or .hdi files (which are the abandonia games)

Only thing i could run was a single .d88 file that came with the emulator. It seems to be just music

Piers

What shortcuts did they use to shade and detail all of these artworks? Because it's difficult to think how they'd manage to do all of this even if they worked quickly, non stop, round the clock up to the deadline.

kuYuri

Can't believe I've missed this thread for so long!

I've been playing 2064: Read Only Memories, which is probably the closest that I'll get to this style of game in these times. Loving it thus far.

Can't believe I've missed this thread for so long!

I've been playing 2064: Read Only Memories, which is probably the closest that I'll get to this style of game in these times. Loving it thus far.

You should check out VA-11 HALL-A as well! It's... vaguely in the same universe and closer aesthetically to PC98 titles - right down to some UI quirks. Really endearing game all-around and less skeevy than its "waifu bartending" tagline implies it to be.

Same here! Where's this thread been all my life? I never knew about the PC98 but I'm absolutely loving the screenshots. As someone who's been learning Japanese for quite a while, maybe I should add some of these games to my study media... If they're easy enough to play, I mean...

kuYuri

You should check out VA-11 HALL-A as well! It's... vaguely in the same universe and closer aesthetically to PC98 titles - right down to some UI quirks. Really endearing game all-around and less skeevy than its "waifu bartending" tagline implies it to be.

I've had my eye on it for awhile! I'll check it out after 2064. Didn't even know they were in the same universe.

I'm glad I got back to using MZ-700 avatars.

I got a M88 emulator, but i cant run .fdd files or .hdi files (which are the abandonia games)

Only thing i could run was a single .d88 file that came with the emulator. It seems to be just music
.fdd and .hdi files? You sure you aren't trying to run PC-98 abandonware on a PC-88 emulator? All the PC-88 files/dumps I've seen are .d88 or something unlike what you've specified. I wonder if that music disk you mentioned is from the Firecracker doujin series...great stuff.

For stuff in English on any J-PCs, you're more in luck these days since a fan translation scene's finally gotten on track. Games like the original version of Enix's E.V.O. and Brandish 2 have either public or beta patches ready to go if you have the game ready to play on emulator (there's ways to patch the original floppies as well). Action-based games usually don't require Japanese knowledge to progress, which is why Night Slave's often mentioned as a PC-98 recommendation (you can turn off the eroge content in the options menu).

What shortcuts did they use to shade and detail all of these artworks? Because it's difficult to think how they'd manage to do all of this even if they worked quickly, non stop, round the clock up to the deadline.
J-PC software developers, since at least 1984's Eiyuu Densetsu Saga on PC-88, used some kind of artwork scanning/digitization method followed by algorithms and pixel-by-pixel tuning to accurately replicate and dither their in-game materials. Some game graphics were best suited for pure pixel work, but these are way less in number vs. the horde of erotic games which relied on scanning first and tweaking later.

Lucumo

I'm glad I got back to using MZ-700 avatars.

.fdd and .hdi files? You sure you aren't trying to run PC-98 abandonware on a PC-88 emulator? All the PC-88 files/dumps I've seen are .d88 or something unlike what you've specified. I wonder if that music disk you mentioned is from the Firecracker doujin series...great stuff.
Yep, it's supposed to be .d88 files. Just tried some hentai games and they work (except for one).

/edit: Never mind, definitely more that don't work.

unbenannte5kwp.png

Top Bottom