• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love the look of PC98 games aka the Anime PC game machine

cacildo

I'm glad I got back to using MZ-700 avatars.

.fdd and .hdi files? You sure you aren't trying to run PC-98 abandonware on a PC-88 emulator? All the PC-88 files/dumps I've seen are .d88 or something unlike what you've specified. I wonder if that music disk you mentioned is from the Firecracker doujin series...great stuff.

For stuff in English on any J-PCs, you're more in luck these days since a fan translation scene's finally gotten on track. Games like the original version of Enix's E.V.O. and Brandish 2 have either public or beta patches ready to go if you have the game ready to play on emulator (there's ways to patch the original floppies as well). Action-based games usually don't require Japanese knowledge to progress, which is why Night Slave's often mentioned as a PC-98 recommendation (you can turn off the eroge content in the options menu).

J-PC software developers, since at least 1984's Eiyuu Densetsu Saga on PC-88, used some kind of artwork scanning/digitization method followed by algorithms and pixel-by-pixel tuning to accurately replicate and dither their in-game materials. Some game graphics were best suited for pure pixel work, but these are way less in number vs. the horde of erotic games which relied on scanning first and tweaking later.

Yes, i think i got 5 PC88 games early this morning from abandonia and they were all .hdi or .fdd. I was just trying to run anything before starting to look for english or translated games...

Thanks for the other tips. I will check on Night Slave. Can you point me to a better site than abandonia to get the games in .d88? (once again, since abandonware i think we are ok with #antipirategaf)

Knurek

Yes, i think i got 5 PC88 games early this morning from abandonia and they were all .hdi or .fdd. I was just trying to run anything before starting to look for english or translated games...

Thanks for the other tips. I will check on Night Slave. Can you point me to a better site than abandonia to get the games in .d88? (once again, since abandonware i think we are ok with #antipirategaf)

HDI and FDI are PC98 formats, you can't run them in a PC88 emulator.
(Similar on how you can't run SNES games in a NES emulator)

1upsuper

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before but it's good stuff. Many years ago I fell in love with the general aesthetic of the PC-98 (and 88) library. At this point I've played a fair number of titles but I've spent tons of time just learning about the games and enjoying the artwork and music. The fact that the library is only relatively recently getting much attention by western fans means it still has this mysterious, somewhat inaccessible and untapped vibe to it that makes it all the more alluring.

dadjumper

Oh heck yeah. I got way into just playing random PC-88 and -98 roms a couple years back. Made a blog for it that is now inactive but has a lot of images on it here
[WARNING: VERY NSFW. EROGE INCLUDED]

Some (sfw) highlights:

tumblr_nwxafsalU31uk3xbeo8_1280.png

tumblr_nwx8nq1oAr1uk3xbeo3_1280.png

tumblr_nwvfpbu0CY1uk3xbeo1_1280.gif

tumblr_nwvevx8qp91uk3xbeo7_1280.gif

tumblr_nwti8tXgPa1uk3xbeo1_1280.png

tumblr_nwtacpdfyT1uk3xbeo7_1280.png

tumblr_nwt5lvu1Y81uk3xbeo1_1280.png

tumblr_nx0yn8RXhG1uk3xbeo3_1280.png

tumblr_nwsy70B4i21uk3xbeo3_1280.png

theclaw135

Banned
I suppose, almost can't help think of Macross when I see this topic. Think I'd watched that part of Robotech anyhow.
No telling how much anime Lum fanaticism has blinded me to.

Last edited:

tib

Neo Member
That's a nice dump, CitizenHal. It makes me want to play those games just for the graphics alone.

Valonquar

This thread definately takes meack to the days of 14.4 modems & DOSV. Hentai images were the cryptocurrency of 1991. You have to download JPGs off of BBSes in California, racking up insane long distance calls just to get 10 to 12 16 color images of Lum.

Futaleufu

It's amazing what you can accomplish with 16 colors, dithering and a hi-res mode.

Some of these games had IBM PC ports running in hires EGA and looked very much the same.

Ladioss

Great throwback to the time when japanese pop-culture was at its peak. That kind of stuff is the reason why anime conquered the world during the 80/90s.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I love this aesthetic. It has the charisma of anime but the less saturated color choices make it more serious, and the way they use the pixels bring a crudeness to the image, a texture. It feels extra crude with the medieval games.

It has a tech nostalgia too. It is hard to explain but, to me, it feels nostalgic because it is 80s/90s and, at the same time, it feels high tech since it was very advanced at the time.

frogx

I love this aesthetic. It has the charisma of anime but the less saturated color choices make it more serious, and the way they use the pixels bring a crudeness to the image, a texture. It feels extra crude with the medieval games.
Yea I feel the same about this

Hudo

I just wanted to pop in and say that this is one of the best threads around. And those PC88 and PC98 2D graphics are just timeless.

Elfstar

It has a tech nostalgia too. It is hard to explain but, to me, it feels nostalgic because it is 80s/90s and, at the same time, it feels high tech since it was very advanced at the time.
I think this can be extended to old school vs modern anime aestethics as well, with all the new stuff having that overly bright, saturated digital coloration, and lacking any kind of graininess and human imperfection element in their look.

The PC-98 has so many cool adventure games I'll never get to play because they're not translated. ~Sigh... I'll continue to admire them from afar and eternally wonder what the "Go!!" command is for. Is it different than move? If so, how? These are the questions, folks.

EmceNll.gif

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
How I can play these games? Just love old school look and that asthetics
With a specialized emulator, Neko Project. There are some custom builds.

Thoughts:
I absolutely love the PC-98 range and especially what it does under the hood. Basically they are semi-custom PC's combining the best of the Amiga with the x86 architecture. Back in the day this was rather something, but so much stuff is in obscuriority hell because of lack of translations.

Does anyone fancy a little bit of history regarding this machine and its graphical magic?

Belmonte

I think this can be extended to old school vs modern anime aestethics as well, with all the new stuff having that overly bright, saturated digital coloration, and lacking any kind of graininess and human imperfection element in their look.

Very true. The cleaner, brighter look can work well with animes like My Hero Academia, since the super hero theme allows it, but I can't respect the new Berserk, with that clean look.

On a related note, I think this kind of pixel art makes the art even more crude than classic animes. The squares/pixels makes the image feels like a raw mosaic.

The only modern game I remenber which uses this kind of aestethics was a kickstarter project: Shrine of Orm, which, unfortunatelly, couldn't get the funds. It isn't as masterful like the ones here, it uses a kind of filter to emulate the pixel art, but I found it very cool nonetheless. And, as a huge plus, it was a turn based Dungeon Crawler, like Wizardry/ Etrian Odyssey:

By the way, anyone has a recommendation of a translated PC98 RPG? Never played any of them!

Elfstar

Very true. The cleaner, brighter look can work well with animes like My Hero Academia, since the super hero theme allows it, but I can't respect the new Berserk, with that clean look.

On a related note, I think this kind of pixel art makes the art even more crude than classic animes. The squares/pixels makes the image feels like a raw mosaic.

The only modern game I remenber which uses this kind of aestethics was a kickstarter project: Shrine of Orm, which, unfortunatelly, couldn't get the funds. It isn't as masterful like the ones here, it uses a kind of filter to emulate the pixel art, but I found it very cool nonetheless. And, as a huge plus, it was a turn based Dungeon Crawler, like Wizardry/ Etrian Odyssey:

By the way, anyone has a recommendation of a translated PC98 RPG? Never played any of them!

I'm sure you guys already know about this website, right? It has a good amount of old-style PC98 visual novel in english.

https://tss.asenheim.org/

I don't know how many of the games over there are SFW, though.

dirthead

Banned
This is why contemporary indie games are such embarrassing dog shit. Most of them look like they were made by cave men compared to stuff like the OP cited.

That dithered look comes from only being able to display 16 colors at once. It's kind of awesome. Always had a soft spot for the Genesis/Mega Drive, as it also had a color display limitation. On a CRT the dithered gradients/shades blend so old display tech is a must for displaying these kinds of graphics properly. Alternatively an emulator with the proper CRT filters applied.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

This is why contemporary indie games are such embarrassing dog shit. Most of them look like they were made by cave men compared to stuff like the OP cited.
Nah, its just the times. Back then developers worked with what they had, and worked with the limitations that they had.

These days everything is far more complex and open architectures like C64/Amiga are far more uncommon. Everything is abstracted and also infinitely more powerful. To use that in some meaningful way isn't easy.

That dithered look comes from only being able to display 16 colors at once. It's kind of awesome. Always had a soft spot for the Genesis/Mega Drive, as it also had a color display limitation. On a CRT the dithered gradients/shades blend so old display tech is a must for displaying these kinds of graphics properly. Alternatively an emulator with the proper CRT filters applied.
The EGC was and is just awesome. Its this bizarro version on VGA visuals that were coming up in the PC world. The PS/2 machines basically introduced those, but were still semi-custom in some way, sometimes even having a half-compatible version of VGA.

Back in the day custom shit was fun.

stranno

Unfortunately it wasnt powerful enough for moving stuff like fast scroll or raster effects. The American Truck port was horrendous.

I like CRW: Metal Jacket tho, it was a fantastic turn-based strategy game.

3105screenshot2.png

Fuz

Banned
I love all the art posted, they make me want to go and play those games.

Luckily, I played some of them and I know their gameplay usually sucks bad.

Great art, toh.

Redneckerz

I am glad this thread still is here, because PC98 is just amazing. Just look at DAT DITHERING.

Top Bottom