• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss animated PS3 icons

Do you miss the animated / multimedia Sony PS3 game icons?

• Yeah, I liked 'em

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Hahaha no, what an annoyance.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
When highlighting a title on PS3, the game icon will sometimes turn into a gif and sometimes the background changes, too. Highlighting a game might also trigger a little tune that plays instead of the Theme music. It was a cool feature of the PS3 that felt like yet another quirky "innovation" by Sony.

PS4 menu bar is sterile and waxy in comparison. Games will still change a bit of the background when highlighted, but there's no music change, no animated icon, nothing neat like that.

I'm not sure if others found this interesting or annoying, so what do you think, GAFers?

jakinov

The specific things you mentioned didn't annoy me. But the entire stupid OS and stupid hardware decision in general did.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

scalman

Lots stuff was amazing on ps3 menu. I miss ps3 home. It was amazing space back then. Guess times changed maybe wouldnt worked same now. It was pretty safe area too, now would be just mess i guess full of wrong ppl

Harlock

I miss this theme

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Isa

I totally agree, and enjoy it when I boot up the ol' beast every now and then. Some great tunes off the top of my head are the Journey theme, and The Guided Fate Paradox intro were often repeated. Oh yeah for nostalgia sake I'd let Wolfenstein 3d go for a bit too.

It's not the PS3, but I might be one of the few people in the world who enjoyed the 3DS 3D menus.

C8boEqX.gif
I'm right there with you. Loved all the different pop-up animations on the top screen plus the music overlay. That's definitely in the same ballpark as the PS3 game icons.

Nymphae

Banned
I would just leave my xmb on the Everyday Shooter icon for a while sometimes, I love the track it plays. Bionic Commando Rearmed makes the screen go insanely red and plays sick music.

Mista

Banned
I miss them too DunDun. Luckily we can upload our own pictures now in our profiles but not animated :(

I miss them too DunDun. Luckily we can upload our own pictures now in our profiles but not animated :(
Yeah but collection of animated icons > one animated profile banner. :lollipop_sad_relieved:

PS2 had 3d icons for memory card game slots. Some where animated I think

(Seem to remember DynastyWarriors3 had ZhaoYun bouncing a WonTon)

Beat that.
I think PS1 had some save-file animations too.

Top Bottom