• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

iHaunter

Yeah IDK, my game doesn't look like that. I'm playing on Quality mode though. Best game I've ever seen.
The fog complaints in HFW are fucking ridiculous. sorry. what?
It's honestly one of the most idiotic things I've been seeing. It's actually giving me a headache. Just enjoy the fucking game, like what's the problem? We're complaining about dense fog? Like for real people, just stfu and play the game. It's a $400 console. What do you want.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah IDK, my game doesn't look like that. I'm playing on Quality mode though. Best game I've ever seen.

It's honestly one of the most idiotic things I've been seeing. It's actually giving me a headache. Just enjoy the fucking game, like what's the problem? We're complaining about dense fog? Like for real people, just stfu and play the game. It's a $400 console. What do you want.
You must have low standards then. The game doesn‘t have true blacks. If you are in a dark room you should have a pitch black screen because that is the canvas for all the colors. In Horizon there is not such. It‘s grey. And it makes all the difference.

iHaunter

You must have low standards then. The game doesn‘t have true blacks. If you are in a dark room you should have a pitch black screen because that is the canvas for all the colors. In Horizon there is not such. It‘s grey. And it makes all the difference.
Not true blacks? Oh no! How will I live? How can I go on?

Tired Wait GIF by The Bachelor

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I just noticed one more thing… check this out… before i go through the door…

30-B29-D6-A-BC4-D-4-AAE-B624-7-B84-ED1-F803-F.jpg

And when I’m outside…

68-E28791-3-CE0-4297-B913-F8926-CD19-FAA.jpg

The game literally pops in a wall of fog. What the hell? Is this a bug or what? How did no one notice?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Are you serious?
I am serious. Pedro, the first thing that bothers me about these games is not having enough GPU power to normalize the rendering equation. Occlusion is the bread and butter of getting CGI visuals. If you don't have that, then you are stuck with a videogamey look. Developers have GOT to do better with ambient occlusion. And I mean on EVERYTHING. Yes, it's a bandwidth hog and why it's rarely used properly but I'll be damn, it makes all the difference in the world. HFW has too much GI contribution in the environment causing our famed "glowy" rocks syndrome from last game (I complained then and people trolled me for it). The increase in GI probes isn't enough to fix it unfortunately. Halo Infinite has a different lighting scheme and while it's still not normalized enough, I don't see over exposed GI contribution.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
And yeah, I ain't smoking... Just compared random YT videos with Zero Dawn... Here you go...

Zero Dawn, no fog...

Forbidden West, fog everywhere...

Seems these character models came with a heft price... What a disappointment...

And yeah, I ain't smoking... Just compared random YT videos with Zero Dawn... Here you go...

Zero Dawn, no fog...

Forbidden West, fog everywhere...

Seems these character models came with a heft price... What a disappointment...

There's no way it's a design choice to add more atmosphere or anything *rolls eyes*

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

There are aspects of Zero Dawn on PC that sometimes make it look better than Forbidden West. But when you look closely at texturing, object complexity or character models it's clear that there are huge improvements in the second one.

Zero Dawn still can look breath taking:

ttGFgsi.jpg

niiLf5h.jpg

ze9NCug.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There's no way it's a design choice to add more atmosphere or anything *rolls eyes*
Doubt it. Wasn't it quite common in the past for devs to do this to cover for lacking hardware power? I don't see any other reason to cover the players view. I for one love it to stand at the edge of a cliff and marvel at the game world.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There are aspects of Zero Dawn on PC that sometimes make it look better than Forbidden West. But when you look closely at texturing, object complexity or character models it's clear that there are huge improvements in the second one.
I am not denying that. The character models actually blow me away as well. It's the contrast that bothers me. Everything up close looks amazing... but everything else that is a bit further away is covered in thick fog.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Forbidden West is stunning and amazing on a technical level, but I just don't dig the art style.
On that note, Elden Ring is just fine tech-wise, but the art style is blowing my mind!!!

I think both are great, just in different ways.

Stamps1646

Play Racket & Crank: Rift Apart, your eyes will be very please.

There are so many eye popping titles out there, what about these?

Games that are also visually impressive:
Death Stranding
Returnal
Metro: Exodus
Doom 2016 & Eternal
Control
Elden Ring
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Marvel's Spider-Man
Spider-man: Miles Morales
Read Dead Redemption 2
Forza Horizon 4 & 5
GOW 2018
Dark Souls 3
Monster Hunter World
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Ghost of Tsushima
Horizon: Forbidden West
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

==============================
A handful of upcoming titles:
GOW: Ragnarök
Gran Turismo 7
Crimson Desert
Black Myth: Wukong
Project Awakening
Alan Wake 2
Stray
DokeV
Forspoken
Marvel's Spiderman 2
HellBlade II: Senua's Saga
A Plague Tale: Requiem

Rickyiez

Doubt it. Wasn't it quite common in the past for devs to do this to cover for lacking hardware power? I don't see any other reason to cover the players view. I for one love it to stand at the edge of a cliff and marvel at the game world.
Well , you still can ?
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220224141828.jpg

These are fogs for immersion purpose .

Fogs to cover the lack of processing power looks like this

_NTZZ2SX4GktcfS7lIqfiGpZ1YpBdje8Kq50MQ9_5BU.jpg

Top Bottom