• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss when the game industry actually told us about things

Why would companies spend money for an E3 show to generate excitement when you can instead put out rumors and leaks that cost literally nothing today? It’s a no brainer for a company to save some money, that’s why posters like Tiago Rodrigues Tiago Rodrigues is probably getting paid peanuts to work compared to an actual employee at SIE.
What a weird tag out of the blue, lmao.

Tomi

What i learned from all those years gaming:

1. NEVER EVER BUY GAME DAY ONE
2. Always wait for few patch fixes
3. Never believe anything before game is released( because they love to lie just to sell as many copies as they can )

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Well, it is still like that. Although not grouped in one go. We have to dig them outselves via forum, social media, videos, rumor, etc. I'm missing magazine era thought.. it gives me different feeling rather than easy to forget web tab style...
Can't believe I'm actually feeling nostalgic for the magazine era. Getting tons of new info on upcoming games and hardware was awesome, especially if it was a milestone issue with a multi-page Blowout of one of the biggest games of the year.

Now, we wait months and months, if not years, for shitty 2 minute trailers, half of which are CG or not actual gameplay (looking at you Fable) 😮‍💨

Yea, today's form of information delivery to the community definitely has dropped the ball in many ways.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No, it's stand alone like Miles, you don't need SM2 to play it (you can call it DLC if you like, but it isn't)
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

(but it is)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Something is out of balance, it sure feels like there isn't as much to be excited about, and I doubt that it's the hardware or the content, so it could be managed better somehow. I do think there is an inherent excitement about a live stage and audience that a premature video seems to miss.

SHA

Just been something on my mind every time the "E3" month of June comes around. The days of E3 were pretty exciting for us not just because we knew what was gonna be happening the following fall, but what the future of gaming might actually be.

Now I really hate how the game industry does things now with announcements. Like, why can't we know the date and time for such an event ahead of time? We know a Nintendo direct is likely to happen this month, but why must it always be revealed a day or two before hand? Tell us a fucking date and time. Just tired of the endless speculating on EVERY THING, even things as simple as when something is going to happen. We know there's a new Switch...oh, but we're not talking about that yet....we know there's a direct this month...oh, but we're not gonna tell you when.

PS3 and Wii released in 2006, but we knew by E3 2005 plenty of information to go off, and speculate what the consoles might be like. We knew over a year in advance that the Wii was coming when it still called Revolution, or we knew about the Wii U and the gamepad over a year before it released. Just give us something to work with instead of always having to deal with assholes spreading rumors, which may or may not be true. That's the real frustration, instead of having reliable information, we have to rely on leaks, and that's ridiculous that we should have to get information that way. Things were always close to the chest on some things in the game industry, but it's gotten to ridiculous levels in recent years.
It used to be a f list of 20 favorite games but now we're just chasing trends, ew!!!

IAmRei

Can't believe I'm actually feeling nostalgic for the magazine era. Getting tons of new info on upcoming games and hardware was awesome, especially if it was a milestone issue with a multi-page Blowout of one of the biggest games of the year.

Now, we wait months and months, if not years, for shitty 2 minute trailers, half of which are CG or not actual gameplay (looking at you Fable) 😮‍💨

Yea, today's form of information delivery to the community definitely has dropped the ball in many ways.
Thats also what comes into my mind, today approach are somewhat lackluster the punches

Top Bottom