• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played 3 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda - Thoughts so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone wants it to be bad. People are just disappointed. There are always people who are going to try and tear a game down before it's even out. It's just that Bioware is making it really easy this time around.

Can't people wait until monday and 50 reviews in to be dissappointed? Asuming all those reviews are going to be from average to bellow.

I can understand being worried but people is already parading as if the game was already the golden poo of the year.

The animations stuff is ok, I laugh at it too, they seem to be on the bad side but that's really the least important aspect of these games.

The animations stuff is ok, I laugh at it too, they seem to be on the bad side but that's really the least important aspect of these games.
I think this is debatable, though. The game is supposed to be heavy on narrative/story, which usually means you'll be spending a lot of time with its characters. If these characters continually have poor animations, it can be a deal breaker to players.

People dogpiling on Shinobi should take a step back. Your actively being the type of person that can make this community look bad. He posted his thoughts in good faith and honestly, even from what I've played, I'm really enjoying the game too, warts and all. Does that make me a co-conspiritor? No. Shinobi has always posted his thoughts,good or bad along with news and rumors, let's treat him with a bit more respect please. He isn't a new poster, he isn't a shill, he is a long time member of the comminity but being treated this way... you can't expect him to feel welcomed at all.
This thread is exactly why I never will claim to be a "gamer".

Shit is toxic.

Ralemont

not me
I think this is debatable, though. The game is supposed to be heavy on narrative/story, which usually means you'll be spending a lot of time with its characters. If these characters continually have poor animations, it can be a deal breaker to players.

Players are allowed to have their own priorities I guess, but was it a dealbreaker for them in every pre-Witcher RPG? Bad animations are the standard and although it's nice when you are surprised by something good I've long since become accustomed to working around them.

I also don't see nearly enough praise for the combat animations, which are stellar. And I'm willing to bet that for as much talking you'll be doing in this game, you'll be doing more fighting. So that's an equal plus, yeah?

Probably good that they don't, then. Most animations are fine. Few stand out as exceptional so far (though there are a couple), but the gifs getting posted aren't representative of the overall quality.

This thread is exactly why I never will claim to be a "gamer".

Shit is toxic.

I'm surprised nobody has literally called Shinobi a moron yet. EA threads always devolve into personal attacks for no reason. Hell, any thread really. Nothing will ever beat "not liking Uncharted 2 is a mark on your character", though.

Probably good that they don't, then. Most animations are fine. Few stand out as exceptional so far (though there are a couple), but the gifs getting posted aren't representative of the overall quality.

Yep. Five ours of single player and I noticed barely any egregious outliers.

My main concern isn't even the animations and weird faces that seem so prevalent, but the story/writing. The "pathfinder" thing seems so forced and hammy, while the overall plot feels so unsatisfying (at least within the first 3 hours). That's egregious to me.

Stupid question but if I never beat the previous 3 would getting Andromeda confuse me? Or can I just jump in?

Not a stupid question, and you'll be fine here. In fact Andromeda actively embraces new players while still rewarding folks who have memories of the trilogy.

My main concern isn't even the animations and weird faces that seem so prevalent, but the story/writing. The "pathfinder" thing seems so forced and hammy, while the overall plot feels so unsatisfying (at least within the first 3 hours). That's egregious to me.

It gets way better.

Reminds me of all the comments about ffxv saying final Fantasy has never been about story

Gaming side has been a pretty vitriolic place over the past few months. What the hell is wrong with some people here? Always looking for blood or someone to blame. Be angry at Bio ware, not at Shinobi for posting genuine impresssions of a game he's clearly psyched for.

More to the point, this EA Access trial may not have worked in Bioware's favour. Animations and writing look pretty shit, but for a long game like this, I wouldn't write it off based on impressions from a 10 hour sample.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hope Shinobi hasn't left GAF because of people dogpiling on his opinions, he's a good poster

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It gets way better.

This is what I've heard from a couple people I know reviewing it too: it's going to make for an interesting time when the embargo lifts on reviews, for sure.

If I had to give the game a score after the 10 hour trial, I'd say 8/10 so far, even 8.5/10: but if the story ramps up it'll be an easy 9/10 or even higher - the Multiplayer alone is worth the price of admission IMO anyways.

alt27

I'm a big ME Fan but you have to say that it's pretty unusually for games to get this kinda negative press at launch . There's reason for it . Animations look cheap and old . I will be playing on launch and hope the story saves it , but animations play a big part of conveying the story , and it's not just a few instances . There's a lot .

i like shinobi but everyone has different taste is games . I'm not liking Zelda and never got into witcher 3 at all for example , so I respect everyone's preview thoughts .

just can't see this reviewing well from a lot of podcasts I've heard / articles read etc . If I enjoy it then it's fine , so I don't take a lot from reviews , but it's just disappointing to hear how undercooked it is .

karasu

Players are allowed to have their own priorities I guess, but was it a dealbreaker for them in every pre-Witcher RPG? Bad animations are the standard and although it's nice when you are surprised by something good I've long since become accustomed to working around them.
?
Yes it has always been a deal breaker. It's why I have never emotionally given a shit about any game character n history. The craft is full of all kinds of fuckery that calls for far more than suspension of disbelief. I literally have to pretend that I didn't physically see things in order to believe in the emotion of these worlds and I can't do it.

Did Bioware completely forget the importance of first impression?

Wonder what BOTW early access would of looked like, that game makes an awful first impression with the game performing like complete dogshit.

Did it get confirmed that bioware are bringing forward embargoes ?

Did Bioware completely forget the importance of first impression?
I think 3 hours of playtime is pushing the boundaries of what can be called a first impression.

Can't people wait until monday and 50 reviews in to be dissappointed? Asuming all those reviews are going to be from average to bellow.

I can understand being worried but people is already parading as if the game was already the golden poo of the year.

There's a 10 hour trial out right now. Of course people are going to express disappointment before reviews hit.

Shinobi will be fine. Shitposts are shitposts and he's been here long enough to know those are to be ignored.

Dude survived after giving Order 1886 a good early impression. Mass Effect Andromeda, as much as I'm weary about it already looking 5 times a better game than that :p

benzopil

He's not doing the OT(i think it was never his intention anyway?), and he's not even making the 2nd Community thread which is close to reaching 20k posts. His last post in the community thread was a bit vague on when he'll post again on GAF, if ever.

I think this thread really soured him on GAF overall, which is a shame considering how nice of a guy he is.

I don't think I understand what he was trying to do then.

This game was criticized by a lot of people for it's animations, gameplay, plot or whatever.
He was trying (maybe I'm wrong) to convince people that it's not the case. And he didn't just post this in some existing thread, he created a new one.
Of course people were not sure about it because they saw everything themselves (it's not like "No Man's Sky is garbage because of boring trailers" or something).
People remember how he was defending the game when people were spectical about it (and this happened more than two times), that's why they think they can't trust him. Not because he's paid by BioWare, but maybe because he likes ME too much.

Did he really not expect that?

Hope Shinobi hasn't left GAF because of people dogpiling on his opinions, he's a good poster

could you blame him? I swear, this place gets more toxic by the day. I get it, people are passionate about stuff but this toxicity towards other members needs to go.

JeffG

could you blame him? I swear, this place gets more toxic by the day. I get it, people are passionate about stuff but this toxicity towards other members needs to go.

passionate people are usually positive to a fault.

The toxicity does not come from passion.

Magik

The gaming side in years past was a great place to hang out but its been getting more and more toxic as years go by. Seems its becoming infested more and more with people that are simply just angry with everything.

Finished my trial. Did I hate it? No. Did I love it? Not completely. It's got the potential for greatness, but there's a lot of tiny things that sort of detract from the experience. The screen text on Xbox One is ridiculously tiny and at times barely unreadable on my 32" tv. There's a lot of terrible faces and weird glitches out there. The controls take a lot of getting used to. Multiplayer needs some improvements to make it more playable.

Do I want to keep playing? Fuck yeah I do. Even with its flaws, it still feels like Mass Effect, just with a new coat of paint. The exploration is cool, the Nomad even started to click with me near the end of my ten hours. Combat feels smooth, but can also be pretty unforgiving: there was a certain part on Eos where I died five times in a row because enemies just kept surrounding me. I'm in love with the setting, too: being an explorer on a new frontier just speaks to me. Once I completely get the hang of the controls, heck, I'll probably grow to love to game too.

I've only played the prologue but I enjoyed the gameplay (weapons in particular felt very punchy) and thought the visuals and performance were great (felt like a smooth 60 FPS throughout with Ultra settings on a i7 6700, GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM).

ironcreed

Banned
He'll get over it.

I'm sure he will. I never said he was crying in the fetal position in a corner somewhere. I'm just saying that I would not blame him if he did not want to be around a bunch of posters who are being an asshole to him for merely liking a game.

Hell, I have had fun laughing and making fun of the stuff we have been seeing from Andromeda, but it's also reassuring to hear some positive impressions as well. Because I actually want the game to be good. So I am not about to slam somebody for trying to point out some things that they find appealing.

JetsonIsAJet

Neo Member
Sometimes I wonder how these people even played games before 2015. The animations aren't top of the industry quality, make no mistake about that, but outside of a few outliers it's really not that bad. You know, I still hear people say that Dragon age: Origins was a good game, and the animations are better than that. In fact I'd say they're at par with most games pre- Witcher 3, outside of pre-rendered instances.

Overall, I came away with a largely positive impressions of the game. There are definite flaws with the game, though. Or at least things I don't like about it. I'm definitely not a fan of the auto cover system. I think it largely hurts the combat, and makes running through MP maps a nightmare, so you pretty much have to just use the jetpack and dodging for everything. I had lockup on MP a few times, and once the sound completely cut out.

In spite of that negative stuff though, I think the game has a lot of what I loved about the OG Mass Effect. It inspires a real sense of wonder and exploration in a new galaxy, and all the cast being new makes it a little more interesting to go through those convos and try and get to know them. So far, I like all the cast I've come across, and I look forward to getting to know them better.

It all comes down to where your priorities are in games, I think. Do you value facial animations over things like, combat, gameplay, art direction, and writing? If so, I will go ahead and assume this isn't the game for you. Could you, or do you still, enjoy rpgs that aren't The Witcher 3? If the answer is yes, I don't think you have much to worry about. I mean, really, think about some of the most highly regarded RPGS of the last 10 years or so. DAO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Legend of Zelda, etc. This game has better animations and graphical fidelity than all of those games. Yes, I've seen the comparisons to Mass Effect. Those games were better than the other games I listed too. It's sad to see the animations have regressed, but I don't think that inherently make the game terrible, or invalidates the good this game does in other areas. I've seen a few people point out how the bad animations might take them out of the immersion, but then I have to wonder if they were ever able to enjoy an RPG pre 2015. This isn't to say that the animations are great, but I think some people just need to take a breath and re-evaluate why they play games in the first place if a few strange looks are really giving them fits this bad.

diaspora

Sometimes I wonder how these people even played games before 2015. The animations aren't top of the industry quality, make no mistake about that, but outside of a few outliers it's really not that bad. You know, I still hear people say that Dragon age: Origins was a good game, and the animations are better than that. In fact I'd say they're at par with most games pre- Witcher 3, outside of pre-rendered instances.

Overall, I came away with a largely positive impressions of the game. There are definite flaws with the game, though. Or at least things I don't like about it. I'm definitely not a fan of the auto cover system. I think it largely hurts the combat, and makes running through MP maps a nightmare, so you pretty much have to just use the jetpack and dodging for everything. I had lockup on MP a few times, and once the sound completely cut out.

In spite of that negative stuff though, I think the game has a lot of what I loved about the OG Mass Effect. It inspires a real sense of wonder and exploration in a new galaxy, and all the cast being new makes it a little more interesting to go through those convos and try and get to know them. So far, I like all the cast I've come across, and I look forward to getting to know them better.

It all comes down to where your priorities are in games, I think. Do you value facial animations over things like, combat, gameplay, art direction, and writing? If so, I will go ahead and assume this isn't the game for you. Could you, or do you still, enjoy rpgs that aren't The Witcher 3? If the answer is yes, I don't think you have much to worry about. I mean, really, think about some of the most highly regarded RPGS of the last 10 years or so. DAO, Skyrim, Oblivion, Legend of Zelda, etc. This game has better animations and graphical fidelity than all of those games. Yes, I've seen the comparisons to Mass Effect. Those games were better than the other games I listed too. It's sad to see the animations have regressed, but I don't think that inherently make the game terrible, or invalidates the good this game does in other areas. I've seen a few people point out how the bad animations might take them out of the immersion, but then I have to wonder if they were ever able to enjoy an RPG pre 2015. This isn't to say that the animations are great, but I think some people just need to take a breath and re-evaluate why they play games in the first place if a few strange looks are really giving them fits this bad.
The eyes and faces are a step down from Edmonton's Inquisition, I don't think there's any getting around that. I do also think the shit storm is a bit over the top.

I've never seen GAF be so much of an absolute and complete garbage fire about a game release, it's literally insane, I can't wait for this game to be out and for the shitposters to fuck off somewhere far away. It feels that even the trashiest threads on /v/ are worth more than the ones on GAF about Mass Effect right now.

Every thread is filled with sheer stupidity, hate, memes, and I'm sorry that even your thread has to suffer from it Shinobi, it's painfully exhausting to have to read through posts that are accusing you of things and the same overblown negative circlejerks about the game.

When one of the most level-headed and fair poster on this board - who also happens to be one of the biggest Mass Effect fan of our community - tells you it's looking good, you should be really excited, and I know I am.

Yes, the Mass Effect threads have been trash, but do you remember the No Mans Sky threads? Or the Horizon review thread? Or the still ongoing meltdown of Jim Sterling's Zelda review?

Gamers are basically children with disposable income and trash fires are our natural state.

Those of us excited for FFXV had to endure a lot as well sadly. It can be annoying to come on here sometimes as someone who tries to be optimistic and give the benefit of the doubt to games and people subject to the latest "scandal" (ex: not immediately jumping on ND for casting Laura Bailey).

Do we know anything about planets after Eos or if Eos itself even gets better? The trial was way way too brief with this. Has Shinobi said anything?

I'm sure he will. I never said he was crying in the fetal position in a corner somewhere. I'm just saying that I would not blame him if he did not want to be around a bunch of posters who are being an asshole to him for merely liking a game.

Hell, I have had fun laughing and making fun of the stuff we have been seeing from Andromeda, but it's also reassuring to hear some positive impressions as well. Because I actually want the game to be good. So I am not about to slam somebody for trying to point out some things that they find appealing.
I mean, I didn't say he was either, but his last posts in the community thread shows that he's obviously upset, at the reactions to his thread and Mass Effect in general not being positive. Some thicker skin and some time should fix that.

JetsonIsAJet

Neo Member
The eyes and faces are a step down from Edmonton's Inquisition, I don't think there's any getting around that. I do also think the shit storm is a bit over the top.

Yeah I completely agree. It's also a step down in a lot of ways from the original Mass effect trilogy. But I think the points in my post still stand. The animations being a bit worse sometimes than their last game doesn't make this a bad game or invalidate the other positives it has.

All of this, of course, is based on my experience with the trial alone, so maybe it really falls off after that point. However every review or preview I've seen so far indicates the opposite, so I'm not exactly worried.

I hope the game is good, but if it turns out to be bad...it's a bummer, but I don't stake my identity on the quality of each BioWare release so I'll manage haha.

diaspora

Yeah I completely agree. It's also a step down in a lot of ways from the original Mass effect trilogy. But I think the points in my post still stand. The animations being a bit worse sometimes than their last game doesn't make this a bad game or invalidate the other positives it has.

All of this, of course, is based on my experience with the trial alone, so maybe it really falls off after that point. However every review or preview I've seen so far indicates the opposite, so I'm not exactly worried.

I hope the game is good, but if it turns out to be bad...it's a bummer, but I don't stake my identity on the quality of each BioWare release so I'll manage haha.
I agree. The face animations and eye textures are a step down, but the game itself on a whole seems great so far.

Alienfan

One thing I'm really enjoying (that I didn't think I would) are the open levels. I never realized how much I wanted a No Man's Sky Mass Effect. I know Andromeda won't go far enough, but hopefully Bioware continue in this direction, it's so much better than the linear cover shooters the first three games felt like. We need more open world space games, the first developers to successfully tap into that are going to be very rich

kingkenny76

Can someone confirm what's the scanning like? Do have to scan the odd thing or do you have to constantly walk around with the scanner open?

I have many issues with the game that aren't at all animation-related. In fact, I barely give a shit about graphical prowess. Art direction and gameplay is what matters to me.

Don't assume that the animation thing is the game's only weakness.

Can someone confirm what's the scanning like? Do have to scan the odd thing or do you have to constantly walk around with the scanner open?
Just the odd thing

Eolz

It's a bit of both. Once you've scanned something, you don't have to scan it again, but otherwise, you basically have your scanner open, run around and just press the scan key as soon as you see something you can scan.
It's a pretty bad implementation imo.

bronk

Banned
It's good to see some postive impressions. Can't wait till Tuesday to try it myself. Didnt like Horizon at all and stopped after 7 hours of trying to force myself to like it. Hopefully I'll have some fun with Mass Effect.

JetsonIsAJet

Neo Member
I have many issues with the game that aren't at all animation-related. In fact, I barely give a shit about graphical prowess. Art direction and gameplay is what matters to me.

Don't assume that the animation thing is the game's only weakness.

Just the odd thing

I didn't. In fact, if you actually read the post you directly quoted, you'll see I mentioned a few other things that I took issue with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom