• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played 3 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda - Thoughts so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
I really believe you're 100% sincere as you've always been, Shinobi. And I was down on ppl ITT trying to bring you down as a liar, and GAF generally being so fucking negative about the game.

But having played it now....man, you've got some rose-tinted glasses on for this one.

This isn't BioWare quality. This is destroying the goodwill built up from Dragon Age Inquisition and will seemingly vindicate those who liked to shit on that game.

Well, they'll be right about Andromeda. It's hot garbage.

None of the earlier game's flair, no sense of visual direction, no sense of drama, no feel for scifi. It's janky like the very worst of Telltale games.

Some of the environments look nice..? And thankfully, there's many moments where people have their helmets on and their subpar models aren't being shoved in your face.

But good grief. This is unworthy of the BioWare name. It's BAD.

What?! It was DA:I that single handedly destroyed all of the goodwill I had with BioWare and has kept me nervous about ME:A. Any game that comes from BW will have some involvement by DA:I team and that is most unsettling aspect about aby game that comes from them. Looks like ME:A isnt the incredible sci-fi space opera like the previous games and that is crushing me, my fears of post DA:I BW may be true. God dammit.

Waiting on reviews now, would have previously bought this without question.

What?! It was DA:I that single handedly destroyed all of the goodwill I had with BioWare and has kept me nervous about ME:A. Any game that comes from BW will have some involvement by DA:I team and that is most unsettling aspect about aby game that comes from them. Looks like ME:A isnt the incredible sci-fi space opera like the previous games and that is crushing me, my fears of post DA:I BW may be true. God dammit.

Waiting on reviews now, would have previously bought this without question.
Waiting on reviews is a wise move.

I know DA:I had a mixed reception on GAF, but it was very well-received overall and a huge step up from DA2. DA:I is way more polished and more well-made than anything I've played of ME:A.

I must have not been paying attention to that stuff. Have some good links to some of these comments?

I am not sure why people are giving Shinobi any sort of shit about "being a shill". Ayone with a lick of sense about GAF knows that he, in general, is very positive about large release games to the point of almost fanning hype. It is the reason why the whole Yin/Yang thing existed for a while.

You'll find plenty of examples ITT.

I really believe you're 100% sincere as you've always been, Shinobi. And I was down on ppl ITT trying to bring you down as a liar, and GAF generally being so fucking negative about the game.

But having played it now....man, you've got some rose-tinted glasses on for this one.

This isn't BioWare quality. This is destroying the goodwill built up from Dragon Age Inquisition and will seemingly vindicate those who liked to shit on that game.

Well, they'll be right about Andromeda. It's hot garbage.

None of the earlier game's flair, no sense of visual direction, no sense of drama, no feel for scifi. It's janky like the very worst of Telltale games.

Some of the environments look nice..? And thankfully, there's many moments where people have their helmets on and their subpar models aren't being shoved in your face.

But good grief. This is unworthy of the BioWare name. It's BAD.

We don't need vindication for shitting on DA:I and it isn't something we get joy from.

It is something that needs to be done so that hopefully another "pretty good I suppose" series doesn't take the same sled ride down shit mountain.

Apparently we should have all worked a bit harder. If this is hot garbage by comparison it truly must be something to behold.

I know DA:I had a mixed reception on GAF, but it was very well-received overall and a huge step up from DA2. DA:I is way more polished and more well-made than anything I've played of ME:A.

I can only you imagine you mean DA2 "on console" compared to DA:O "on console" and not compared to DA:O on PC. If you don't, I would strongly disagree it was a step up in any way that should be relevant for a RPG series.

We don't need vindication for shitting on DA:I and it isn't something we get joy from.

It is something that needs to be done so that hopefully another "pretty good I suppose" series doesn't take the same sled ride down shit mountain.

Apparently we should have all worked a bit harder. If this is hot garbage by comparison it truly must be something to behold.

Wait, are you the ambassador of the people shitting on DA:I

I can only you imagine you mean DA2 "on console" compared to DA:O "on console" and not compared to DA:O on PC. If you don't, I would strongly disagree it was a step up in any way that should be relevant for a RPG series.

What? I'm talking DA2 -> DA:I.

DA:I was a step up from DA2.

KORNdoggy

I must have not been paying attention to that stuff. Have some good links to some of these comments?

I am not sure why people are giving Shinobi any sort of shit about "being a shill". Ayone with a lick of sense about GAF knows that he, in general, is very positive about large release games to the point of almost fanning hype. It is the reason why the whole Yin/Yang thing existed for a while.

exactly, he's basically Gafs own Geoff Keighley, a kind of hype man. but he ain't no shill.

Lol maaaaan these comments are starting to sound like user comments on metacritic.

Starting? They've been utter garbage for weeks, this is just the pinnacle of dishonest and lying comments from people that are out to trash a game because they think it's fun to do so, it'll calm down after release date when they realise their little fantasy about ME being the worst game of the decade is false -- it went the same way with FFXV.

This has been posted here and there, but this is more encouraging: https:/www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/03/16/this-is-why-its-a-bad-idea-for-games-like-mass-effect-andromeda-to-have-piecemeal-embargoes/

That does make me more at ease about the game then, especially because the writer mentions Eos several times and that is exactly my biggest complaint. Plus he definitely makes some really good points about other things as well. For me the trial has been far from only negative. I dig the prologue, the Nexus and Tempest, all of that is really ME. I love the combat too, but Eos indeed gives the wrong impression.

Rellik

Starting? They've been utter garbage for weeks, this is just the pinnacle of dishonest and lying comments from people that are out to trash a game because they think it's fun to do so, it'll calm down after release date when they realise their little fantasy about ME being the worst game of the decade is false -- it went the same way with FFXV.

What's the next game to get the shit train? Just asking so I know which threads to avoid post ME:A.

I find it funny people were shitting on Horizon and its "jank" and now its being used as a benchmark.

What's the next game to get the shit train? Just asking so I know which threads to avoid post ME:A.

Your guess is as good as mine, I guess I'll know when to head back to safety when the next first shitty low quality memes will start spreading out about a game

The next game to get heavily nitpicked and shat on prior to release will be probably be whatever sequel is due next where its predecessor left a bad taste. Fallout 5, maybe? I can't think what else will come before that though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I found that usually the best way to enjoy the GAF gaming board is to stay out of threads about AAA games, they are usually overwhelmingly negative and I think the overbearing cynicism can influence one's experience when playing a game. Its not that these games don't have problems, they do. I've certainly enjoyed the silliness of the ME:A animation thread and participated, and I've voiced concerns about the final product. But by and large the flaws can't be discussed without layers of bullshit hyperbole being applied and that just seems to set everyone off.
Even games that are well liked will be turned on eventually if they're not from the right sacred cow developer. I just don't see the merit in visiting a bunch of threads where some jaded can't be bothered expert hated some big name title so much he couldn't bare to play more than 5 minutes. They are so over that tripe and you should be impressed on how over it they are. I just don't see the point in that crap. Nobody is impressed.

The GAF zeitgeist will turn on Horizon next. And there will probably be some more superfluous comparison threads on how great BoTW is and how shit everything else is. This place is making me want to hate that game and I didn't think that was possible. I certainly haven't wanted to play it for the past week.

I don't think he is a shill, just overly positive about most games. So. I can't say I personally take his idea as something I would agree on and that's what I thought since his post on day one. I feel the same about most reviews though, so it's all what each person likes obviously.

People don't really get that and they may buy games cause of review scores. Doesn't mean they really like it in the end.

In a general sense that's all basically true, but have any of you played the actual game? The negative impressions aren't hyperbole, even if the positive impressions can be just as valid. They too will admit there's plenty to criticise here.

Neoweee

Horizon was made bad? You have examples of that? Was that here on GAF?

Yes, here on GAF. I almost didn't buy the game after seeing how much it was getting torn into after the big preview wave.

It turns out posting GIFs of facial animations wasn't an accurate indication of the game's quality, after all.

The next game to get heavily nitpicked and shat on prior to release will be probably be whatever sequel is due next where its predecessor left a bad taste. Fallout 5, maybe? I can't think what else will come before that though.

Destiny 2, regardless of quality I guarantee there will be a lot of people ready to jump on anything over the hate some have for Vanilla Destiny.

Assassins Creed Empire, Unity left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouth. Plus gaf has a general Ubisoft hate boner.

Bethesdas New Ip, might get a pass because there's no expectations compared to Fallout/Elder Scrolls, but I still expect plenty of hate.

Yes, here on GAF. I almost didn't buy the game after seeing how much it was getting torn into after the big preview wave.

It turns out posting GIFs of facial animations wasn't an accurate indication of the game's quality, after all.

Damn never catched that, I really liked HZD, was a fine game. I must admit I never much followed info about HZD, was more like an impulse buy.

I am honestly still expecting this game to be good overall. I wasn't a fan of ME2 and ME3, and overall found DA:I generic...but I still feel they are trying to recapture some of things that ME1 did write. I.e., expanded role for the Nomad, more customisation, etc.

dYsJpxP.jpg

Please take this in good humor - and as a comment on the general over reaction to MEA, not on Shinobi, who I am glad took the time to write up his impression and answer questions.

Lol

This thread = damage control

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
In a general sense that's all basically true, but have any of you played the actual game? The negative impressions aren't hyperbole, even if the positive impressions can be just as valid. They too will admit there's plenty to criticise here.

Nothing wrong with criticism and actual discussion of flaws is always warranted, but I think sometimes the hyperbole and bullshit color that actual discussion, not to mention cute responses on how out of touch someone is if they happen to like the game in question (such as the one you got about DA:I. I liked it alot too). And then that tends to spread a negative reputation of a game and it ends up being propagated by people who never even played it anyway. Thats useless in my opinion.

Trickster

Wait, are you the ambassador of the people shitting on DA:I

Are you? Since you can apparently claim that people who shit on it, enjoy doing so.

I'll let you know, it brings me zero joy. I have bought every games they've made since ME1 because I like their games, but DA:I was seriously just incredibly boring and dissapointing.

thumb

Banned
Could have populated its zones with better quests, but the cast of characters and the high-fantasy storytelling is top-notch.

Thedas is a cool place with excellent lore.

I'm right there with you. I did enjoy its characters and story telling, as well as aspects of its combat. I agree with the criticisms of its side quests, but they didn't affect my overall enjoyment as much as they seemed to on GAF.

TrutaS

I do think there is a negative wave for this game currently on Neogaf, and while I love all the humour involved, I have to fight really hard to let it bring down my perception of the game - because I know well that we all enjoy riding the train of public opinion and this forum is victim of that too. I hope the game turns out to actually be good, despite the obvious animation kinks, so thank you for your impressions as someone who actually played it.

I only noticed two instances of weirdness. One was during a conversation I was in and Liam's left arm was held up in a position as if he was using his omnitool and his head was tilted towards me the whole time.

I had this happen to me as well. its not as bad when you see it in an image, but when you are watching a whole conversation and his arm doesn't move, it does look ridiculous.

hollomat

Banned
It's pretty funny people are giving shinobi crap and calling him a shill. There's some people who are clearly shills de certain brands or products on GAF. Rather than give them crap and call them out you call out a person who clearly isn't a shill.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's a shame that shinobi is not going to show up much anymore because of all the crap he got in this thread. Congrats guys.

Bigtime this bums me out, just as much as the constant harping on about animations.

I'm totally fine with people who have played the game going on, and on, it's their prerogative and thus valid opinion...but people who haven't even played a lick of Andromeda going on a hate crusade just makes no sense: they don't have context to the gif storm, just the lols.

In other news, I'm 10 hours deep with a detailed write up coming very soon: I'm loving the game, especially the combat, customisation and music.

dYsJpxP.jpg

Lol

This thread = damage control

Why would you post this? Are you stating that as your opinion? (what your offensive picture portrays).

The OP, Shinobi, is one of the best posters on GAF, a shining light of sorts, and the fact that people are jumping on him for echo 'lols' is so off, it's quite horrendous, actually.

exactly, he's basically Gafs own Geoff Keighley, a kind of hype man. but he ain't no shill.

Yeah, he has a positive presencen around here, and dispenses some bits of news...I don't have any problem with his impressions here...I mean he clearly is far from neutral on it, but that is fine. This is his personal opinion and was never intended to be representative...People can disagree, but it goes over the top with personal attacks.

How can this be Mass Effect without Mass Relays?

The mass effect is related to the particule Zero who enable faster than light travel in the mass effect relays.

There is still plenty of mass effect in andromeda since knowing of the mass effect work is what enable races to travel in space.

bud

The whole time, Scott Ryder was actually fairly expressive in his face during most conversations. Not as good as something like Horizon's Aloy, but then again you have to remember they have to account for tons of variation in custom characters vs one singular character like Aloy. Facial animation isn't the best by any means, sometimes robotic, but for a game of this size and scope I found them fine. If you're used to things like creepy Shepard smile and all the weirdness in the trilogy, you'll be fine with this. What I liked so much was that conversations amongst the crew, Ryder, Cora, etc felt *natural* and flowed nicely instead of feeling like recited lines.

what game has this man been playing? or are his standards simply that low?

Yeah..now that more impressions are out it appears I was right to be skeptical of his opinions. You can think someone is a cool person and also acknowledge they might be too hyped and close to a game/franchise to have trusted early impressions.

eot

Banned
Yeah..now that more impressions are out it appears I was right to be skeptical of his opinions. You can think someone is a cool person and also acknowledge they might be too hyped and close to a game/franchise to have trusted early impressions.

Being sceptical of opinions?
That doesn't make any sense. His opinions are his opinions, you might have different ones.

You mean the majority of impressions from people who played the game that say the game is good, or the majority of opinions from posters who didn't play the game and are just hoping onto the trashing bioware wagon?

what game has this man been playing? or are his standards simply that low?
It basically sounds exactly in line with my thought so far, tbh. There's a small number of distractingly bad animations, but by and large they're fine. If you go hunting for and expanding on the tiniest issues, you'll find 'em, but on average it's all perfectly serviceable.

The hate for the new ME game is something else. It might not be as good as past games but damn, people can't wait to shred this to pieces.

You mean the majority of impressions from people who played the game that say the game is good, or the majority of opinions from posters who didn't play the game and are just hoping onto the trashing bioware wagon?
I wouldn't say the majority of people who played it think it's good though, man..

What are you talking about? The early access thread is not that positive, it's more average/mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom