• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think both 343i and Xbox should reconsider their opinions and delay Halo Infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodomism

Banned
The only rational decision that i want from Xbox after this fiasco is to hand Halo series to the doom developer and delete 343i.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I dont know if you missed my point or are just slow, however forza has been THEE pillar franchise and key developer that kept them afloat the entirety of last gen and i always take my hats off to them, great on the other hand has been spotty if it was a successful gaas they player count should be higher now then 600's on steam, sea of theives with the kraken packing took years to finally get a firm grip on what they wanted to do, however again we are taking about 343 a company that has dropped the ball with Halo time and time again where they can't get either the single player and or multiplayer right, and we expect them to do a successful gaas?

MS as a whole has shown they can do a GaaS well, as you said took them a while with Sea of thevies but they got there. Why would they forget what the learned up to now and drop the ball? Beta impressions of the MP have been very good. The season passes have no time frame to complete, that a huge step in the right direction as well.

Seems they are doing plenty of right things, yeah it’s a shame that co op has been delayed but it’s not crucial to the game. Forge thing will be grey when it’s in there but if the MP is good as is it’s not going to be missed for a little while.

Derktron

Banned
Here We Go Eye Roll GIF
Only people who say this are the ones who will later complain about the game being unfinished, if I can remember correctly people like you had the same attitude for Cyberpunk 2077

Derktron

Banned
Wonder if the OP felt the same way about Last of Us 2 not launching with the MP component and it is still is not out???
No, cause I for one did not care for the game but let's make stupid assumptions. People like you piss me off.

ahtlas7

Depends on the state of the single player. If it’s a solid game then release it on the world. Then trickle out the other stuff... ultimately, MS knows more than me about game releases.

OrtizTwelve

I don't know what everyone is thinking about this news where some modes won't be released on launch but I'm sorry to say and this is just my personal take on this matter, I think Xbox should reconsider their options when it comes to releasing Halo Infinite this year. In my eyes, the lack of Forge and lack of story co-op (Even though I can care less for it) is an indication of an unfinished game, and both 343i and Xbox should think twice before thinking about releasing Halo Infinite. -- Xbox has to think straight and think of the negatives that will come from it.

I don't know maybe I'm being dramatic and the game will do amazing with success and the game will be filled with new players and old and will be talked about with the likes of Battlefield and COD this year. To me, this feels unfinished.

Thoughts?

As a wise man once said - "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -- Shigeru Miyamoto

Edit: I'm still excited to play the game, feels solid after playing the early Beta.

Edit 2: this aged poorly --
cbAYJvG.png

Edit 3: Seems like I hit a nerve with some, I for one better not see anyone on this website complain about anything about this game is bad in terms of nothing being finished or anything. I better see the same energy that you guys are keeping now with this. A wise man once said and I quote

Average US consumers that will be playing Halo this holiday don’t care about forge or coop. They just want to play the campaign or the free multiplayer.

Artistic

I can see the omission of co-op being missing kind of being a big deal for some, but it's not like the game isn't polished enough to launch this year. At least we all think so. I don't use Forge, but do want extra maps whenever needed.

To answer shortly, no don't delay it. At the same time, I wouldn't be upset if a delay were to happen. I can wait.

jigglet

Banned
high priced entertainment products that have a deliberately brief shelf life.

Rages about deliberately brief shelf life.

Rages about GaaS games with 10-20 year life cycles, demands sequel.

(I kid I kid, I'm just annoyed at all the people asking for Siege sequel recently. Fuck that shit, GaaS all the way)

onesvenus

I think keeping Xbox One version is really a bad move. I know they won't give them but I'd love to see the split between versions one year after launch for example

Fredrik

No reason at all to delay it if it's mostly done for one or two modes.
Remember that you said this once it gets a bunch of 7/10 scores that will paint it as an average game for the eternity even if they update it in a few months. Critics only rate the day 0 version, they never return for a second review after an update. And yes, reviews matters, especially in combination with angry fans.

Delay.
Let Call of Duty and Battlefield fight it out this year.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I don't think that's necessary.

They could get away with it because they'll probably sell out this holiday anyway, but enough of the game is present to launch over the holidays.

Fredrik

I don't think that's necessary.

They could get away with it because they'll probably sell out this holiday anyway, but enough of the game is present to launch over the holidays.
They could get away with it but they might have to drag around a 70+ metascore as an anchor until their next game.

Why is a 2021 release so important? Feels like the fps genre is pretty crowded this year anyway.
Why not make sure to release a complete game instead, polish it like crazy, get a 90+ metascore, then just keep building on an already awesome game if they want it as a GaaS game?

Marty-McFly

Banned
They could get away with it but they might have to drag around a 70+ metascore as an anchor until their next game.

Why is a 2021 release so important? Feels like the fps genre is pretty crowded this year anyway.
Why not make sure to release a complete game instead, polish it like crazy, get a 90+ metascore, then just keep building on an already awesome game if they want it as a GaaS game?
It's not going to get a 70+ metascore. Most of us have played it. It's too high quality and the franchise has too much love from critics for them not to give it a little leeway.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Remember that you said this once it gets a bunch of 7/10 scores that will paint it as an average game for the eternity even if they update it in a few months. Critics only rate the day 0 version, they never return for a second review after an update. And yes, reviews matters, especially in combination with angry fans.

Delay.
Let Call of Duty and Battlefield fight it out this year.

I think it will still get 8's and 9's, they will nitpick it to death anyhow if it's anything like this board.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I don’t think 343i have a choice in the matter. After six years of development, a change in leadership, and one of the highest profiles delays in industry history, I’m sure Microsoft is all out of patience. In my opinion, if 343i couldn’t deliver a full, competent game in six years, another delay does nothing but costs money. Release it this year, then gut 343i management, and get to work fixing Halo without the people who brought it low.

Helghan

Delaying their biggest franchise out of holiday season because co-op, a feature that is barely used in new games, isn't available for the first 3 months?

I think you are exaggerating. If core featured of the game are broken, sure delay it. But not for something as small as co-op...

Nah, GOT launched its multiplayer months after and TLOU is launching theirs way after. I think since the multiplayer is free thats almost a different entity than the full game.

Fredrik

I think it will still get 8's and 9's, they will nitpick it to death anyhow if it's anything like this board.
It's not going to get a 70+ metascore. Most of us have played it. It's too high quality and the franchise has too much love from critics for them not to give it a little leeway.
Well let’s say it sits at 84 then. It’s a good score but still a missed opportunity to firmly show that Halo is back in good form again. No 10/10 accolades post-launch trailer to build from that. Fans will have to wave around the Steam user score everytime someone post the Metascore mocking MS for not delivering a 90+ metascore game with their 1st party studios since I don’t know when.

Again, why is a 2021 release so important? They haven’t even announced a release date. Why not release it when it’s ready?

THE DUCK

Well let’s say it sits at 84 then. It’s a good score but still a missed opportunity to firmly show that Halo is back in good form again. No 10/10 accolades post-launch trailer to build from that. Fans will have to wave around the Steam user score everytime someone post the Metascore mocking MS for not delivering a 90+ metascore game with their 1st party studios since I don’t know when.

Again, why is a 2021 release so important? They haven’t even announced a release date. Why not release it when it’s ready?

I just think there has been some damage already from delaying it, some hype and some let down, to it it again would damage it worse than a slightly lower meta score. People are going to try and play halo if it has an 84 or an 87.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah.

Look at it this way instead - Halo infinite getting free campaign co-op update post launch! Halo infinite getting free level and game builder post launch!

It's a GaaS game, it's going to be supported for years. Who cares if it takes a few months for a co op campaign? Just pretend the game got delayed if it's somehow imperative to you that it's there on day one. People that care about those things are the minority. I don't care if it never gets co op, I just want to play multiplayer.
Almost as if there is a way to spin any news as a positive news… are you and the people taking the same stance this open minded about PS5 and Sony games in general? Surely you will not have different bike standards huh 🤔?

pasterpl

Never cared for co-op in halo games, for me it is campaign and mp. Game shouldn’t be delayed. For me, it launching with solo campaign and mp is all I need.

Fredrik

I just think there has been some damage already from delaying it, some hype and some let down, to it it again would damage it worse than a slightly lower meta score. People are going to try and play halo if it has an 84 or an 87.
No way, a bad launch state will be an anchor until they do a re-release, it’s never worth it to rush a launch. Look at No Man’s Sky and Sea of Thieves, they have tons of players but people that haven’t jumped in yet or only tried them at launch still go around thinking they’re average games.

Last edited:
No they shouldn't. I guess at least 80% of the players are absolutely fine with campaign + pvp at launch and the 20% that are not got their delay of 3 months.

Listening to Joe Staten the most important thing is having a polished single player campaign and multi player and that's what they'll have. It seemed given what he said that both modes are a technical challenge and require more time to get right. Forge is far more complex than previous versions, he also said the campaign is huge and non linear and having players going and doing different things is posing issues with saves etc.

It's not the best scenario but as long as the game is great at launch, it's only going to improve with extra content coming. He also said campaign gameplay and trailers are coming soon, so we all can make our own minds up on its quality.

Stuart360

If its going to get a 70 Meta it will get it anyway, regardless of co-op mode and Forge.
Besides its not going to get a 70 Meta anyway, the game would have to be pretty bad for that.

demonstr8

Damn, I didn't realize that they "reaffirmed" that Halo Infinite would have split screen Coop only just over a year ago... How can something that was repeatedly confirmed to be coming at launch suddenly NOT be coming at launch despite a whole year MORE of development time? Nothing about this games development makes any sense. Also, where is the campaign gameplay footage? The game is less than 3 months away from release and we still haven't seen it since it's original showing. Just what is going on over there at 343i?

THE DUCK

No way, a bad launch state will be an anchor until they do a re-release, it’s never worth it to rush a launch. Look at No Man’s Sky and Sea of Thieves, they have tons of players but people that haven’t jumped in yet or only tried them at launch still go around thinking they’re average games.

Neither of those games have the following that halo already has. If they deliver s solid single player experience and some fun multiplayer this fall, 90+ % of halo players will be happy as a clam.

Fredrik

Besides its not going to get a 70 Meta anyway, the game would have to be pretty bad for that.
As ”bad” as The Ascent?

I don’t trust game critics to fairly rate games these days, some will focus on negatives and rate it super low for clicks, others are fanboys and will take the opportunity to drop the score just enough to get under the radar.
But sure, it’ll probably end up at 80+, and maybe MS think that’s enough, it’s just Halo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom