• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I turned my Xbox Series S into a Win98 Retro PC | MVG

Banned
Amy Poehler Sunglasses GIF by FOX TV

BlackTron

Man was so preoccupied with whether or not he could, etc...

Truth is, this kinda sucks.

He can't even use a mouse. All that time and effort to install 98SE through DOSbox on a Xbox to play old PC games, and the only way to get mouse input is to assign a control stick.

I mean, chances are if you even remotely care about 90's PC games in the first place, not having a mouse is pretty much DOA. I was a bit nonplussed that he did not admit this giant glaring flaw, summing up the control stick as "getting the job done". I mean, to finish the setup process maybe.

I'm tired of always saying this... But tech illiterate people are sometimes rather anoying with their "why don't you just do x,y,z? Why don't you just buy x, y, z instead?".

Computer and hardware are always better when you can decide what do want to do with it... More options are ALWAYS a plus.

If it were for those kind of people to decide, we would never have emulation, modding and FPGAs... Is kind of intriguing how limited some people's minds are....

Last edited:

BlackTron

Computer and hardware are always better when you can decide what do want to do with it... More options are ALWAYS a plus.

I agree. It would be nice if you could choose to use a mouse with Windows 98 lol.

It's not *really* a "Windows 98 retro PC". It's a win98 running on Xbox as a cool little project, but its utility as an actual gaming box sucks because I mean, no mouse.

What are you going to play? Half-life? Point and click adventures? Brood war? Tinker away, but label it tinkering.

Drew1440

Truth is, this kinda sucks.

He can't even use a mouse. All that time and effort to install 98SE through DOSbox on a Xbox to play old PC games, and the only way to get mouse input is to assign a control stick.

I mean, chances are if you even remotely care about 90's PC games in the first place, not having a mouse is pretty much DOA. I was a bit nonplussed that he did not admit this giant glaring flaw, summing up the control stick as "getting the job done". I mean, to finish the setup process maybe.
Why do people still use DOSbox? PCem and 86Box have far surpassed it with their superior 3DFX Voodoo/Glide emulation and support the S3 ViRGE for DirectX 2-5 games. Plus it runs well on SFF PC's like the Intel NUC and is less hassle to set up compared to a Series S.
I'm mean its cool and all to see it on the Xbox, but why?

BlackTron

Why do people still use DOSbox? PCem and 86Box have far surpassed it with their superior 3DFX Voodoo/Glide emulation and support the S3 ViRGE for DirectX 2-5 games. Plus it runs well on SFF PC's like the Intel NUC and is less hassle to set up compared to a Series S.
I'm mean its cool and all to see it on the Xbox, but why?

He's specifically using DOSbox here because you can load it through RetroArch, which is available as a UWP app.

He didn't use a Series S to get to DOSBox, he used DOSbox because that's what's on Series S. Of course it's less hassle to play PC games on a PC than Xbox, no kidding.

Top Bottom