• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Rare made another Wizards & Warriors game

SantaC

Wizards & Warriors triology was among my favorite games on the NES. It is sad to see a franchise like that just die after some great games.

I have an old Nintendo Magazine which states that Rare was working on a Super Wizards & Warriors game for snes. I didnt even get to experience it in 16 bit glory.

Frankly, I am baffled that the series just stopped after the NES era. It's not like neither of the games are bad, and the franchise was strong during that time. Heck, Wizards & Warriors even showed up in Captain N the gamemaster.

I wouldnt mind a witcher type of game with Kuros traveling the medieval landscape fighting against the evil wizard Malkil. I mean there is a foundation there to build on. You travelled through forests, mountains, caves and visited taverns in the old games.

images

Now, this is a game I would buy an Xbox for.

Last edited:

CamHostage

You know, I've never understood Wizards & Warriors? I think I played one of them as a kid or saw a videotape of it at a store (that and boxarts and maybe a Nintendo Power section were all you had back in the day...) and I just couldn't get with the wonky combat system of this sword that was so short on the lanky character. Looking at the video now, the jumping looks fun and the graphics are kind of cheery, but I was never quite clear if everybody owned it because it had a Conan-like barbarian on the cover (...not in the game) or that people actually liked it. It is Rare at a time when Rare was doing impressive work, so I should give it a fair shake some day, but I don't think this series will ever click with me.

I'm curious, what was it that you folks loved about Wizards & Warriors?

Last edited:

Vandole

Wizards and Warriors was a bit repetitive, but man oh man, Ironsword??? That was an absolutely epic 8-bit experience. That was one of those games that just knocked me over the first time I saw it. The controls were a little rough, but Rare made sure that game looked like gold.

also unfortunately that's a series I haven't thought about in years. Kind of makes me wonder if I should finally go ahead and give Wizards & Warriors 3 a spin.

SantaC

Wizards and Warriors was a bit repetitive, but man oh man, Ironsword??? That was an absolutely epic 8-bit experience. That was one of those games that just knocked me over the first time I saw it. The controls were a little rough, but Rare made sure that game looked like gold.

also unfortunately that's a series I haven't thought about in years. Kind of makes me wonder if I should finally go ahead and give Wizards & Warriors 3 a spin.
Absolutly.

W&W3 has RPG elements such as classes. Underrated game.

Top Bottom