• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wonder if I am a masochist (life-age)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a journal for GAF, its been a long time since I wrote down my drama so let me write down a little book about what has been bugging me for a few months now.

I looked up this word this morning

masochism

1. The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused.

2. The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself.

3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

I think the third part fits me pretty well. I've been depressed all year trying to work hard to put pieces of my life back together after spending 2 and a half years investing everything into making a relationship work with someone who lived a very different lifestyle than I do.

I am a Painter/Artist she is a Virgin Preacher's Kid who goes to Church 3 to 4 time per week. Not in town mind you but driving 90 minutes to get there very dedicated in a very cult like environment. A very reserved Pentecostal group.

It was hell trying to change my own life just to fit into her circle.

When she met me about 10 years. I was just getting out of college.
I met her at the library and I just felt like talking to her. She grew up in the same town as I did in Haiti so we had a few things in common we ended up exchanging numbers.

I was dating someone at the time but she was Haitian and my other relationship was not very deep it was mostly because it was a very hot Jamaican girl and our relationship was mostly physical.

I did not think I wanted anything with this girl I met at the Library. She called me that night we talk. She asked me about my relationship I told her the truth and she in turn told me she was a preacher's kid her father died doing the Lord's work... yadda yadda yadda.

While in College I joined the International Church of Christ in South Florida. A known cult at the time. I was always pretty messed up in the head after seeing my mother die when I was 14. So I thought I did not give the religion thing enough of a chance to make changes in my life. I was also born with a very painful disease. So after this cult thing did not work out. The emotional abuse from that group made me hate all types of Christian talk. I was very bitter and resentful.

So here is this virgin on the phone with me trying to talk to me although I'm so far from a believer at this point. But she had a funny kind of charm about her. She seemed very curious about my relationship, my sex life and other things about me. This little friendship lasted a few years we would meet at the mall and have lunch a few times but being religious and a virgin was like a cross to a vampire to me. I wanted nothing more from her than the casual friendship we shared.

She knew I had women in my life so she also wanted nothing to do with me.
(so I thought)

I little time after I moved lost contact for a bit... One day she found out I was in the hospital and came running. I hate people visiting me when I'm sick. But here she was looking all worried. She wanted a hug. we never hugged! Then before she left she said "I love You..." I dunno I was high on my pain killers anyway... so all that came out was "Ditto" that silly movie Ghost was playing on the TV over my bed.

I got home a few weeks later and she would call all the time. Then she wanted to come over all the time. I could tell she had feelings so I began to panic, she started to tell me about the major Church meetings and Conventions more than usual. It was not a subject I love talking about she knew that but since she saw me sick she felt I could get cured if I attended her Church.

I started to really freak out now so she called on the phone and I cursed her out pretty strongly. If it was any of the other women I hung with it would have been nothing they would just have curse me back and come knocking at my door for make up sex or something. But this was a girl who never cursed, you could not even get her to say the word "Shit"

This is what I wanted I wanted to end things before I started accepting her feelings. I did not want to be forced to join another group just to be with someone.

Life was okay for a few years after that many relationships later. I got very sick so I was not painting or doing shows anymore so money was no longer easy.

but even during this time I had many failed relationships.

in 2001 I had a cool girlfriend I wanted to spend my life with. She was 23 and I was 27
but on September 11th I got her pregnant. She found out a month later, I was very nervous when she took the test but I was not prepared for her reaction at all. She did not want the baby all. Even at 23 she felt her Jamaican parents would be very disappointed in her for being pregnant. So instead of thinking about us and the baby. Not disappointing her parents was the only thing on her mind. She spent the next week coming over depressed and crying until I caved in and supported her choice.

So here I am like the movie "Babyboy" taking my girl to the clinic... but I was not smart enough to stand outside and chew gum. I went in as far as they would allow me held her hand in the waiting room full of 13-16 year old. I was like WTF!@

The screams of little girls while waiting in that room was a nightmare, I would swear to never have sex again.

I was pretty depressed about the whole thing but I wanted to be strong for her. I love this girl and wanted to do all I could to make things right. Everything in me wanted to force her to have this baby but here I was sitting in this damn place. I felt I made the choice to kill my own child because I was not man enough. I still regret it.

I thought I was saving her from something she did not want. I was wrong the next week she came over she tried to stab herself with a knife which I took from her. then she tried to jump out my window and I stopped her. I lived on the 3 floor she rain out and took the elevator. I ran down the stairs. Had to wrestle her down to the grown to take her keys while she was screaming call the police

She ran away but I had her keys. I really did not want her to drive I feel she really wanted to hurt herself. I believed her because she took sleeping pills while in UCONN because she had a hard time dealing with being sexually molested by a close family friend when she was younger. So this girl had many issues. But so did I. And I wanted her to live.

Anyway police came explained why I took her keys. They agreed she was too upset to drive and gave her a ride to the train station.

I started to worry about what she would do at home when she got there her parents knew nothing about me because she shared nothing personal with them since she felt they would not believe she was molested by that person who ever he was.

So they did not know she had a boyfriend or just had an abortion a week ago.
I decided to call her parents and talked to her mother about how upset and depressed she might be so they could look out for her.

He father came to get the keys. He never met me but I could tell he wanted to kick my ass. He was a short old Jamaican man but mean looking.

A week later she came over with her mom. At her mom's request she wanted to thank me for stopping her from hurting herself because she knew her daughter's history with trying to end her life.

Anyway the family packed up the next day and took her on a month Vacation to Jamaica.
Then Shipped her off to California. Dad did not want her to have anything to do with me. So she obeyed and I never saw her again.

Next major mess came a few years later. I was living a life of Celibacy out of guilt.

So the next twisted woman entered my life.
I was coming back from Washington DC I was there to show my Art at an event.
I was asked to show some work at another event in Connecticut. I did not want to attend but the person asking me wanted a favor so I said okay. It was some Gala black tie event with a bunch of rich people and the mayor of Stamford showing up. I sat outside the main room at a table set up for my Art. Only to go in to get a few words I was asked to do. As soon as I was finished speaking it was time for the dancing part of the night.
I excused myself and with outside to my art table.

The MC came out and some tall dark lawyer dude came out to rap to her. This event was for Sickle Cell so the crowd was mostly upper class black people.

The MC was a local TV personality. She did the local ABC news for years. I remember drolling over her when I was in college. But tonight I did not care I was a broke ass artist and the only reason I was asked to be here was because I had Sickle Cell myself. So I tried to ignore both of them... He was asking her for a dance so she went in for one dance and rushed back out. She started making a fuss over my art. And the Lawyer dude came chasing her again she handed him her camera and said take our picture.

I stood next to her near a painting I had on display.

Lawyer dude soon felt he was not wanted so went back inside. She started telling me that working at the TV Station she met a lot of famous people but never did this before. She said she really wanted me to sign her event book. She wanted an autograph WTF?

Anyway we talked a little bit. She was being very kind with her words. I was acting very meh... but we ended up exchanging emails.

That was the end of September --- 27th I think. I would met her again on my Birthday October 2nd she wanted to take me out to dinner.

We only talked by email for a few days but here I was sitting across the most beautiful sister I have ever had the chance to be with. She was well educated and classy. She left the station after her divorce and was teaching classes at a very respectable school. She was older than me by 5-6 years.

So no matter how much she smiled at me I was feeling very small.
We had diner at a very classy place. I was shocked when she leaned over the table and kissed me not a long kiss but not a peck it was just enough to get my attention.

After diner we talked a bit I dunno how I ended up back at her place but she suggested it. I'm still in a daze I was not thinking of it as a date until she kissed me.
It was my Birthday and this was turning out to be the best bday ever. She wanted to get comfortable but she did not allow me just to sit in the living room, it was a loft still apartment with her bedroom upstairs but open to the whole space. So no walls. Somehow I can't remember why I was still talking to her like her best friend but and on her bed. She took off everything but her bra and panties.

It was Angelic! She was babyface video when she was younger so let me tell you this woman was a 10. How the hell was I going to continue to talk like her little buddy while being so close to that body? So I went for it. It was okay for a minute but she stopped me and said she can't do this. She drove me home.

I felt I fucked up a good thing.... but it was more than that... She had just broken up with her boyfriend and was still annoyed about her abusive marriage that ended. She was a Trophy wife to these kinds of men. Very rich and powerful dudes.

Her boyfriend who she said she was broken up with is an extremely famous Jazz dude that you will see on PBS from time to time. Even on Stage with Steve Jobs at a point just to piss me off and make me look smaller. He was an asshat the reason they broke up was because her and her girlfriend went into the city to party got a little too drunk she called him to let them crash at his place.
She was a little too wasted to give him some that night and turned him down but when she work up dude was fucking her best friend right there on the same bed next to her.

I was upset when I heard this story but she had many other issues. Because of her looks she was raped in College, became a trophy wife to a dude who did not love her.

So I could tell she still had feeling for the Jazz dude. And when we hung out again she told me I was not the kind of man she dated at all. Meaning I had no money. But for some reason I was able to win her heart for a little while. The sex was awesome. Although Jazz dude, Lawyer Dudes and a Bunch of Doctor dudes kept calling telling her they wanted to take care of her.

She had dreams of getting her PHD so she wanted to break things off with me to go and teach in California. So for 4 months after proposing to her and her saying yes, SHE WAS GONE. Moved away. A went into another few years of Celibacy broken up inside because I was a failure. I felt like a fucking loser every time I saw Jazz dude on TV and freaking iTunes and Apple kept his face on my damn powerbook

I loved that girl but did not have his kind of money to keep her. So I stayed friends with her she still cared for me but I was not the one you know.

Depressed and out of it I moved to Texas that shit went downhill fast I became homeless, took a trip to South Beach Miami and lived in a Hostel for a 8 months. I loved it until Hurricane Season and some Stalker dude who thought he was the owner of J Records.

3 years ago I move in here at a nice loft for Artists and trying to get my life back on track and bam! Who contacts me... THE VIRGIN girl I started this long story with. After going through all the shit I went through I was more will to listen now... She started slowly coming over after work sometimes late. I remember the first time she came her she stood at my door for 3 hours she said knocking.

I was a sleep and this is a loft I could not hear a knock at my door. But I found it strange that she was at it for 3 hours!

So I decided that was enough dedication for me to ask her out... The Celibacy thing was getting old she was still very religious and still a virgin. We when on our first date. Her first movie theater experience (freaking cults I swear) It was her first MOVIE! first time going out to see one.

"Mr and Mrs Smith" She loved the dancing they did at the start.

So when I got back home we talked about the movie for a long time she wanted to dance with me I said okay... I put on some soft Jazz since I did not want to scare her religious nature to the surface,

I picked - In a Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (on loop)

Danced with her... She was extremely clumsy and shaking. I could tell she liked me so I went in for the kiss after a few loops.
SHE DID NOT KNOW HOW TO KISS WTF!

This girl was so innocent I fell in love right there. I was afraid of her kind years ago but now I felt I wanted to take it slow. She was a religious girl and a virgin. No way I was going to Mike Tyson her into giving me some even though she was at my place after midnight.

After dating for a few months I knew I could be no good to her with my current way of life. I had to make a choice and attend church with her. Get to know what she loved about that whole way of life.
That place was very backwards and closed minded but it was what made her happy.

After two years we made no progress at trying to get married although I wanted to be with her, her family told her she could not marry a man that would die on her at any second. Sickle Cell was a major issue for them so they made me an enemy. The Church was also not a good place at all. During this time I created no art. I placed my life on her path and followed her lifestyle.
Blue balls every night... although I started to pressure her after 6 months the most I did to her was heavy petting and oral sex on her. I never got more that a hand job.

I wanted to kill someone by the end of 2006 so I broke it off it was too much... I was becoming very abusive and mean towards her because of all the pressure and everything that surrounded us.
So I had to let go. Its not like she did not want to marry me, but she was extremely afraid of Sex and also was afraid I was too worldly to be her husband.

So 2007 and broke all year, because I had placed my work on hold all my time was spent with her at Church for 2 years.

This summer after finding out a friend died for Sickle Cell... Each and every night all I can think about is how to end my life in the painless way possible.
I got sick a few times and tried not going to the hospital for help just to see if this shit would just take its course and be done with it.

I also felt for a month now that God is bullshit. I want to believe but it feels like a cruel joke.

I'm highly depressed but I hate to lose so I keep going everyday... She emailed me last night. It reminded me how lonely I am. I kept away from everyone I never leave my house but to eat or do a favor for someone asking me to do something for Sickle Cell.

Last month I shipped most of my left over art some of my best work and donated to a Children Hospital in California. I've been preparing to end my life for a while now. I was looking at the Japanese Suicide thread and I wish I had the same mentality. But I grew up with the ideals of never allowing myself to stop fighting to live and survive this disease. Most people with Sickle Cell died at a very young age. I dunno why the fuck I'm still alive. It has has not been a quality life. I had very few happy times. Just many many unpleasant or trying experiences.

Part of me just wishes I could make up with my ex and try again but I can't fucking stand church and her family downing me... I'm just going to grow to resent her for it thats why I left, so I would not abuse her out of frustration.

What a fucking joke a woman who is kind to me and seems to love me but is bound by a strange fear from being intimate with me.

So why can't I DO IT?! Why can't I off myself I really want to do it but I sleep on it and think about maybe things will change. But I feel if things keep going this way I'll ended up harming other people instead of myself. I'm slowly losing it, so thats my story GAF I'm tired I did not sleep last night again... I'm trying to laugh at all of this shit but its just not funny any more. Why do I keep living?

Like I said I think I am a masochist

3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

Fuck this EMO Shit I'm going to sleep...

EDIT: Mods please do not BAN in this thread
Ok GAF I gave you enough fuel, gone to bed now meh

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You're not a masochist because at the back of your mind, you know there's something you can't bear to lose. Sure you think about taking your own life, but there is something else. This kind of thing isn't rational.

Also, if you're a religious person, I guess you could say that your survival despite your disease is a sign of some importance.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm NOT a masochist, which is why I'm not going to read all of that. ;)

This kind of shit will get you banned. Watch out.

thetrin said:
You're not a masochist because at the back of your mind, you know there's something you can't bear to lose. Sure you think about taking your own life, but there is something else. This kind of thing isn't rational.

Also, if you're a religious person, I guess you could say that your survival despite your disease is a sign of some importance.

I'm pretty far from religious... I just have a drive to be spiritual... I would not be able to paint without it.

There is something stopping me but I'm out of strength, I'm very tired

I was suppose to play Super Mario Galaxy this week but I put it off until my head was a little more clear... its hard to enjoy things when you feel like shit

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm NOT a masochist, which is why I'm not going to read all of that. ;)

How dare you refuse to read on the internet! You should be aware that once you click on a thread you are in contractual agreement with NeoGAF to read every reply, regardless of length or stupidity.

In other news, I'm not going to comment on this story, for reasons completely unrelated.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why? I didn't cross the line on any of the now banned memes.

I agree with what you posted so I hope you are not banned over that...

Mods please ignore this thread

I don't mind what others have to say here. I need a laugh anyway

peace

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why? I didn't cross the line on any of the now banned memes.

Got my ass kicked off for a week for requesting a bolding. I have my opinion on the matter, but I'd just as soon keep them to myself.

vas_a_morir said:
Got my ass kicked off for a week for requesting a bolding. I have my opinion on the matter, but I'd just as soon keep them to myself.

But THAT is on the new banned list. Not sure why, but it is.

Oh well. I guess I'll take my chances. ;)

You've met some shitty / screwy / fucked up / depressing people by the sounds of it. You're a nice guy so you kept putting yourself amongst them, giving them a chance, hoping they'd give you one.

Just today, I got out of work, got on the train and started thinking about my current luck (or lack of) with women. Dwelling on it and I thought to myself "If I didn't think suicide was selfish and/or possibly punishable in the event of an afterlife, I'd probably kill myself". Which, in hindsight, is ridiculous. Cos I don't actually like any women at the moment, I can't see myself with any of the ones that I know anyway, I'm just fucking not interested in the shit that comes with it. I have a family that loves me, I know lots of nice people and have my whole life ahead of me.

And I realised that pretty quickly. Because as I was thinking these shitty shitty thoughts, a little blonde baby girl in a pink pram, was making noises trying to get everyones attention on the train. When I looked at her she smiled. So I smiled and gave her a little wave. And she giggled and made noises at me for like 10 minutes. Much to the amusement of her mother "I think someone likes you"... and I thought "Yeah". Cos people do like me. I might have been feeling a little shit in that moment, but I've got family, I've got friends, I've got lots yet to do in life... like becoming a Dad for example (the kid was soooo cute). Here's this kid, innocence and curiosity not yet sucked out of her by the pressures of everyday life, giggling and laughing, and it's making me happy. Seeing people happy is what life's about. It shouldn't make me sad... I felt like, I just wanna put myself amongst more happy people and go from there. If that makes sense.

I hope you're okay anyway. You sound like you've been a very tolerant, caring kinda guy. I recognise the trademark Smiles and Cries avatar of a lil' dog shaking his head... I always imagined someone pretty jolly and awesome must be sitting at the other end. I'm sure the awesome part is pretty true, so try and keep your chin up!

You're living with something I'm sure very few of us can imagine. That you persevere and express yourself, is a great achievement.

I just realised -- my child anecdote is probably a bit tactless / might be offensive given your experience in the clinic. Sorry if so, I clearly didn't think that one through properly.

I do believe that surrounding yourself with happier, more stable, understanding and caring people is the key though. Perhaps thats easier said than done. Its great that you're still living, you should continue to do so. Maybe be a little more selfish and look out for yourself... cos you've been at the mercy of others in a lot of those situations man. If you want to find someone else, find someone who wants to make sacrifices for you.

thetrin

Smiles and Cries said:
I'm pretty far from religious... I just have a drive to be spiritual... I would not be able to paint without it.

There is something stopping me but I'm out of strength, I'm very tired

I was suppose to play Super Mario Galaxy this week but I put it off until my head was a little more clear... its hard to enjoy things when you feel like shit

I've suffered from depression myself (but I won't put up the masquerade that I've suffered what you have). i know the pain that people go through. You are easily one of the funniest posters I've seen on GAF, but in the last few months, I haven't seen you post, and that really sucks.

I know things are cloudy now, but do yourself a favor, and come back to this thread at a later date.

Smiles, I am not a religious person myself, but as an artist myself, I do feel that a measure of spirituality is healthy. I'm not advocating intelligent design one bit, but I do believe in signs of sorts. You are alive for a reason. Is that reason to continue pursuing your art? Is it to make some girl happy? Is it to make the world a better place? Who knows. The fact of the matter is that you are alive, and I'm sure if those who died of sickle cell, including your friend, were they able to tell you, they would tell you that they want you to keep fighting, and keep pursuing what you love to do most.

You'd be surprised how much your strength can inspire others in similar situations. Hell, you can inspire people in disparate but relatable situations.

All in all, don't give up, man. Your Sickle Cell advocacy is true inspiration. I would hate to see you disappear from GAF, as well as the world. I loved your youtube video of your studio, and I want you to do more art, if only to see what you make. You're a fantastic artist, and to see that disappear prematurely would be a huge loss for all of us.

Sorry if that was overly emo. Summary: Don't give up. We are all here to help.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Jesus Christ. o.0

Man...that is some heavy shit. Seriously...

ahem...

If its one thing in life that I have learned, is that no matter the cause, you have to keep striving for victory, even if the ribbon isn't in sight. It doesn't matter who is in your path, what disease, what religion, the weather, or the way the moon and the sun line up: you have to keep going on. I won't even sit here, and act like I've been through what you have, because the truth of the matter is, I just have the trait, not the disease. The fact that you are alive, at this very moment in time, is truly a testament that something in the back of your mind, is keeping you from signing your own death certificate, and handing it to the reaper himself. If you actually wanted to, you would have subconsciously signed that waver, and given up the will to live, a long ass time ago. So, step the fuck away from the pen, and keep on moving on.

Their are plenty of shitty people in life, and, it seems that you have met your fair share of fucked up folks. As hard as it is, you have to move on from those who bring you down, even if you really do love them. The only thing depression will do is fuck up your mental state, and lower all sorts of natural protection that your body has. Its not worth it.

Religion, and the connection to family--any sort of connection, or, system of influence--, are some of the strongest bonds ever, and a lot of times, there is just nothing that you can do to change that. You don't believe in God, so, the only thing you are doing, is wasting your time. Granted, if you were to actually find him through, thats peachy, but, I find that sometimes, the church really isn't the best place to "find him", even if you are just trying to "learn" about him. It sucks that as individuals, some of us actually rely on a lot more, than we think we do, and lack a greater variety of individualism, than we claim. Comes with emotion, our teachings, and the nurturing of our enviroments, and what they empressed on our young feeble minds, as children. Lifes a bitch like that, but, you can do what you can with the hand she deals you, even if you have to "admit defeat" and get another hand. It keeps you a lot saner, than trying to argue that because you have 21, you win, even though she has it as well, with 5 cards. No draw.

I know for a fact that you have inspired some people, because, I'm one of them myself. You going to any of those events, even as a favor, probably touched some kid, sitting in a hospital room, with an IV on his arms, trying to stay alive to see the sun rise in the morning. People here on Gaf have even mentioned it in the thread. You might not feel like it, or understand, but, some of that comes with the territory of being an artist...and it kinda shows that you're not one of those asshat egotistical ones, thats full of themselves.

But yea...

Keep on living man. You might not see a reason, or purpose for being here, but, you'll never know if you aren't alive.

By the way, I'm spiritual too, but, religion is one of those areas where I tend to stray away from. I believe in a lot of random shit, but, jesus and the like, is something I rarely bring up. I know pratically everything there is to know, even read all of the bible: studied it when I was younger. I guess I just took some of the teachings from it, and molded my own philosophy out of. Kinda sucks too, because, even though I would like to think that I lived a good life, if that turns out to be real, I would be going to hell by default, simply because of the belief clause. If you ask me, there should be a not quite heaven, version of heaven, for the folks like me, us. Thats another thread though.

Keep your head up!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There is a difference between masochism and willingness to suffer. A masochist derives pleasure or satisfaction from subjecting him/herself to hardships. It is a conscious decision, actively seeking out difficulties. You, on the other hand, are acting out of best interest for yourself and those around you. Yes, you do have a problem with trust and it often leads to pain, but it's more self sacrifice than self indulgence.

That said, I think your attitude in all of these situations is very admirable and I sympathize with how much turmoil you were forced to go through.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

I can't sleep I went for lunch

I've read everything posted so far and I'll give those words some thought

Oldschoolgamer - thetrin - radioheadrule83
^^^ thanks for taking the time to reply to this... my mental process is not very clear on things at this point so it helps to read these a little. Sometimes you just can't see this stuff for yourself and I'm not talking to anyone right now about these things

anyway for what its worth thanks

Nick

Honestly, I think you're just hurt and confused. You need time to reevaluate your feelings, and do try to get in touch with your inner self.

Ok, so maybe I am a masochist. I did read it.

Man, I'm sorry for your pain. Obviously you've had a rough stretch and dealing with your illness doesn't help matters. Feeling alone is probably the worst of it all. It's easy for us on a message board to tell you to go out and make friends, meet someone new, blah blah blah, but it's much harder to actually put it into practice.

I'd suggest that you start off by doing a few things that still do make you happy. Small things if that's what they are. Make a list, and then start working your way through it. Not all at once, but plan ahead. It'll give you something to look forward to, and might brighten your day. If you start to feel better about yourself, it'll show, and you might make some new friends or meet a woman that you're totally into as well. You can't turn these things around over night, but it has to start somewhere.

Good luck. Don't give in. There is a reason why you keep moving on.

It's tough to respond cause I don't know what it's like to be living with a disease such as sickel cell, so I can only respond without looking at it. I'm sure it clouds everything though so it may be appropriate to disregard me entirely.

But from reading your post, you seme to gauge alot of your happiness based on your relationships with your girlfriends. You've essentially summed up your entire decade or so by listing your intimate relationships. A healthy thing would be to try to look at other parts of life that can bring happiness and meaning - be it friends, work, charity, politics, sports, art, or whatever you enjoy. I know it's counter to what many think, but your girlfriend (and even wife) should not be the only answer to the question "how've you been?". Work, friendship, and recreation need to be major parts of your life.

And you're smart enough to realize when you're doing things that hurt yourself - now you need to be strong enough to stop doing them. And know stopping never makes you a bad person. It's unfair to say what to do with your religious friend, but it seems to be giving you more pain than pleasure (fyi, relationships aren't like this!). Also, don't take extreme (and I think it's fair to say irrational) measures like celibacy, cause you know that won't solve anything.

Your story has really touched me and I just wanted to say that despite your feeling like giving up, you owe it to yourself to not do so. You've come this far and you've reached out to people with your art. Not only that, you've certainly made myself and a large portion of GAF more aware sickle cell anaemia. However you're feeling now, know that you've achieved something worthwhile.

Lately I'd been feeling pretty down because a relationship I'd been having ended. I was in love with her, but in the end, there were too many things in the way. I took it really hard. For a while, I felt depressed. I felt that I would always be alone. I felt as though I'd never meet anyone else like her, but you know what? My feelings were wrong.

I've come to realise that feelings have no memory. When you're happy, you can't imagine ever being sad. You can't even remember what it was like. Likewise, when you're miserable, you can't even fathom things like joy or happiness. As long as you don't cling to a feeling, they come and go like waves on the shore.

You need to find something you enjoy doing and reach out to some friends. As for relationships, meeting someone else is a lot easier than you feel it to be right now.

You got your heart broken, but when you heal, you'll be able to love again. If that ends badly, then it'll hurt, but as soon as you heal, go out and try again. If it takes ten times or if it takes a thousand times, try again. Will it get lonely sometimes? Yes. Will you get hurt again? Probably.

You don't know that for certain though, so you have to keep going. Happiness is so much better than sadness or oblivion that even the remotest possibility of having it again is worth going through the pain. I can tell from your story that you're strong and have something worth giving.

And hey, I hear what you're saying about the church atmosphere this girl was living in. I grew up in that sort of environment (heck, my dad is a minister) and my beliefs are currently in a state of flux. I know what kind of pressure these people can put on you. What I realised and what you need to realise however, is that these people are not representatives of God. I would currently class myself as agnostic, but I do know that if God is to be found, you have to ignore what everyone around you is telling you and find him yourself.

Religious establishment is to faith what GAF is to video games. You're going to get all kinds: asshats, trolls, graphics whores, irrational fanboys and joke characters right alongside the numbers loving sales agers, intelligent posters and those who play video games for the sheer joy of it.

If the graphics whores who scrutinise every screenshot and dissect it for tearing, dithering, aliasing etc suck the joy out of playing the games you love, just stay the hell away from those threads. Also, put trolls on your ignore list. Yes, you can leave GAF altogether, but if you want to believe, cut through the crap and you'll find the joy of video games once again.

Baryn

Banned
Listen, there isn't a God. If you off yourself, that's it. That's your first mistake and the core problem of your story.

thetrin

Nick said:
Honestly, I think you're just hurt and confused. You need time to reevaluate your feelings, and do try to get in touch with your inner self.

It's amazing how much you go out of your way to be a complete and utter asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom