• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i5 6600K, i7 6700K CPUs & Z170 Mobos out next week; Upgrade or wait to see AMD's Zen?

Boss Mog

It's expensive as fuck though

It really is; for not that much gain either.

I mean back when X58 came out it was really worth it because you were a gen a head with CPUs that were way better than the mainstream ones. but now the X?? platform is always a gen behind now which i think is pretty stupid for an enthusiast platform.

longdi

Banned
Boss★Moogle;174025833 said:

I mean back when X58 came out it was really worth it because you were a gen a head with CPUs that were way better than the mainstream ones. but now the X?? platform is always a gen behind now which i think is pretty stupid for an enthusiast platform.

But it is not true for X99. Besides the non Intel usb3.1 controller, X99 boards are feature rich enough.

And when you see that 5820k is fractionally more expensive with 2 more physical cores, it is pretty good. Unless Skylake can do easy 5ghz for air coolers...

I don't understand what the thinking is to release the new architecture on quad core and then wait a year to release the 6/8 cores version. Why make people wait a year for Skylake-E, what does that even accomplish Intel??

Been on a Core i7 920 since it came out ... will be 7 years old this fall. Using the same EVGA x58 motherboard which has been mostly solid (been getting blue screens with increasing frequency and stepping back my OC every few months).

Long overdue for an upgrade. Going with Skylake mostly for the motherboard features (finally getting SATAIII and USB 3.1) but also for the help it will bring to CPU-bound games.

Going to stick with the Geforce 680 I've got until the next round of video card upgrades, but jumping on Skylake as soon as I can. Can't wait for reviews ... barring a disaster, Skylake will be my next platform.

Locuza

I don't understand what the thinking is to release the new architecture on quad core and then wait a year to release the 6/8 cores version. Why make people wait a year for Skylake-E, what does that even accomplish Intel??
It accomplish two development branches instead of one, for some obvious reasons like yield, design costs, validation cost, extra features.

undead77

Still rockin' my i7-860 @ 3.7Ghz, on the ill fated 1156 socket, that intel only released a handful of CPU's for. Shame too, but this chip has been pretty badass, and it's been running since March 2010.

tokkun

They have no reason to prioritize the workstation / extreme quad-SLI gamer market. It is a smaller volume market and they have less competition. The only mystery is that the desktop K chips are coming out before the laptop chips this cycle. It's the same reason why they have been more focused on Performance / Watt than raw performance for the last several generations and why half the die size on their leading designs are dedicated to the integrated GPU.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
lmao, did you forget how right I was about Fury
Win10 is out, did Fury start destroying Nvidia cards yet
did DX12 revolutionize Fury performance yet
AMD Zen is not going to close the performance gap, the only question is how much it will lose by

i dont know of any games using DX12 or Vulkan yet so outside of the OS migrating to DX12 we dont have much to go by besides developer interviews. Both amd and nvidia and intel should all perform better with DX12 maybe even the xbONE?

Fury is a solid card but amd has made computation their main goal and their cards are better at computation , nvidia cards are better at geometry. Thats really all there is to it, depending on how developers get their games done one or the other will be better.

Zen is an unknown till a real insider sees teh thing. I don't think anyone expects a clean sweep by amd but they also expect the i5 market to be heavily contested because thats the market amd has been squeezed from. The enthusiast chip market may remain intels.

I'm also building a new rig from scratch. Skylake seems like a good jumping on point if the past gen has been any indication, it'll be a fine processor for a good long while.

i dont know of any games using DX12 or Vulkan yet so outside of the OS migrating to DX12 we dont have much to go by besides developer interviews. Both amd and nvidia and intel should all perform better with DX12 maybe even the xbONE?

Fury is a solid card but amd has made computation their main goal and their cards are better at computation , nvidia cards are better at geometry. Thats really all there is to it, depending on how developers get their games done one or the other will be better.

Zen is an unknown till a real insider sees teh thing. I don't think anyone expects a clean sweep by amd but they also expect the i5 market to be heavily contested because thats the market amd has been squeezed from. The enthusiast chip market may remain intels.

Random aside: the reason Fury is an "unbalanced" design is because they could only fit 4 "modules" of GCN on a feasible 28 nm die. This is why only 64 ROPs and notably worse geometry performance than Nvidia's Maxwell flagships. Unfortunately geometry still matters and all the compute performance on Earth can't get around that. GCN is pretty much maxed out on 28 nm even with the die space saved by using HBM instead of GDDR5.

If AMD's slide is to be believed, and we all know AMD has a history of embellishing their performance claims, adding 40% IPC would put Zen around the performance of Sandy Bridge by their own estimates. If so they will still be 30% or so behind Skylake, or by 2016 it will be Kaby Lake. Either way I don't like AMD's chances with Zen and I still don't see any reason to wait for it instead of buying Skylake of your are planning to upgrade.

x3sphere

It's expensive as fuck though

Not really. It was at launch due to DDR4 but prices have come down on it significantly since - more than half.

As long as you stick with the 5820k and avoid the more extravagant mobos X99 probably won't cost much more than a comparable Skylake build

Renekton

Their priority is likely OEM schedule, e.g. they don't want to miss back-to-school window.

Enthusiasts will buy whenever lol.

Durante

X99 was not a gen behind when it released -- it used the latest available CPU architecture, and the chipset tech (e.g. DDR4) was roughly a year ahead of the mainstream boards.

It really was a good time to upgrade, except for DDR4 prices (that's why I only got 16 GB, but that's something easily remedied in the future).

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
No you aren't.

Dear sir,

I am bottlenecked by something that isn't the graphic cards internal render capability. When the framerate tanks the cpu jumps to 80~90% but the GPUs are only at ~60%. When the CPU is at the normal ~50% the GPU's are at >90%

Also, the minimum framerates correlate with CPU speed. The less speed, the less are the miminum framerates. My GPU's are starved by lack of cpu or lack of decent access to cpu, which speaks volumes when your cpu in question is an i7 @ 4900mhz.

cheers

impact

Banned
Dear sir,

I am bottlenecked by something that isn't the graphic cards internal render capability. When the framerate tanks the cpu jumps to 80~90% but the GPUs are only at ~60%. When the CPU is at the normal ~50% the GPU's are at >90%

Also, the minimum framerates correlate with CPU speed. The less speed, the less are the miminum framerates. My GPU's are starved by lack of cpu or lack of decent access to cpu.

cheers

Project Cars sounds like a shoddy port then, or someone is mining bitcoins on your PC :p

Zaph

Probably going to upgrade from a Haswell i7 4770K ITX system, because I'm moving to mATX to support an Intel NVME drive.

Am I going to have to delid the chip again, or has Intel fixed that bullshit?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Project Cars sounds like a shoddy port then, or someone is mining bitcoins on your PC :p

Nein! :)

Seriously, I work in this stuff for a living. I can spot a bottleneck more easily than unlocking some girls bra.

ProjectCars uses more CPU than i've seen any other game using. 80~90% with Hyperthreading on sounds pretty well optimized regarding multithreading. I'm not sure though how well is it using it for.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is Skylake new architecture? This and a new 14-16nm GPU would be a fab combination.

I've got an Ivy Bridge CPU 22nm i7 3770 - worth upgrading?

McHuj

I might have to upgrade from my 3770k. My motherboard died a while back and the only replacement that I could get was a non-sli, non-overclockable one so it feels like I'm wasting my CPU.

Xenus

X99 was not a gen behind when it released -- it used the latest available CPU architecture, and the chipset tech (e.g. DDR4) was roughly a year ahead of the mainstream boards.

It really was a good time to upgrade, except for DDR4 prices (that's why I only got 16 GB, but that's something easily remedied in the future).

I'm deciding between that and skylake for my upgrade of my old Q6700 that is finally giving up the ghost. My worry is that x99 will be outdated and skylake-E would come out with the x1xx platform. I'd prefer something that stuck around at least 2 Gens.

I'm deciding between that and skylake for my upgrade of my old Q6700 that is finally giving up the ghost. My worry is that x99 will be outdated and skylake-E would come out with the x1xx platform. I'd prefer something that stuck around at least 2 Gens.

If you're looking for a socket that will allow you to do a meaningful CPU upgrade in the next few years, you are not going to find one on an Intel platform.

DDR4 prices have dropped considerably, but 16gb is still plenty for me.

SandTorso

If you're looking for a socket that will allow you to do a meaningful CPU upgrade in the next few years, you are not going to find one on an Intel platform.

This is something I've noticed over the past few years. I'm stuck on my q6600, and I keep waiting around for the next long lasting cpu socket, and it just isn't happening. At this point I'm hoping I can affordably skip ddr3, as when I got my q6600 DDR2 seemed like it was on the way out.

That or I'll just scour the hardware swap/sale thread seeing as it appears many people here are going to be upgrading.

Hmm.. How is overclocking on 5820? Might be a better idea considering some of the advantages of x99.

Amazing. I have my 5820K on a 90 dollar corsair AIO watercooler (h80i GT) at 4.0-4.4 ghz without breaking a sweat. As others have mentioned could probably push further but letting the Asus mobo application do all the lifting.
X99 mobos are some of the best I've seen, so very well built.

My 5820 is rock solid stable @4.3 Ghz at 1.28v. It seems like around 4.2-4.4 is your typical OC for most with obvious exceptions on the high and low end.

My 5820 is rock solid stable @4.3 Ghz at 1.28v. It seems like around 4.2-4.4 is your typical OC for most with obvious exceptions on the high and low end.

Air cooled, water cooled, or AIO water cooled? I mean AIO water cooling and air cooling solutions are nearly the same price.

Tovarisc

Not sure about timezone, but 24h format for time suggest EU => CEST.

11831795_821185541328258_7523247093554024515_n.jpg

Edit: i7 6700K benchmark: http://iyd.kr/758

Avtomat

Interesting. So in general, around 9% faster than i7 4790, but slower for games? Why is that?

My guess is DDR4 has imposed a memory latency penalty on Skylake, also Skylake has a lower boost speed - so if you are not power or thermally constrained you will be at a lower clock (again though it shows in the 3.6Ghz benchies so most likely DDR4)

And as PC GAF has known for some time if your processor is better than a 2500k at 4Ghz then it really does not matter anymore

harz-marz

I am in a real confused state at the moment! I have been slowly upgrading my 5 year old PC in recent months to spread the cost out a bit. My current set up is:

i5 2500 (non K meaning I can't OC it)
GTX 980 TI (MSI)
ASUS Predator 1440P xb270hu gsync

I have had barely any issue with games running at max settings, the only 2 games that have given me any trouble have been Ryse and Project Cars (g sync does help a lot)

I am assuming I will def be having issues here due to a cpu bottleneck? My upgrade options are...

- Upgrade the current cpu to an i7 2700K/2600K and overclock (2nd hand)
- Upgrade to an i7 3770K (2nd hand)
- Upgrade whole mobo, cpu and RAM - Skylake

I do have the money for option 3 but is this overkill?

Any advice? Thanks!

Anyone?

I'm still rocking a i7-3930K. Guess it is time to upgrade?
I can't imagine it is. The 3930k is basically an extreme CPU and I've not seen it getting necessarily crushed in benchmarks by today's standards. I'd say it's still a powerhouse of a CPU, especially if overclocked at 4GHz+.

I have one, but I don't PC game much these days. However, it's never failed me thus far.

Kudo

Getting 2nd hand cpu that fits your current motherboard is definitely the cheapest way and if you combine it with good cooler and OC you can increase the lifetime of your current setup with very small cash.
Buying Skylake is more expensive but it should perform fairly well out of box without OC, but if it's worth the money remains to be seen as benchmarks currently seem to contradict each other, wait for the release (tomorrow) and judge from the benchmarks if it's worth the money is what I'd say.

harz-marz

Getting 2nd hand cpu that fits your current motherboard is definitely the cheapest way and if you combine it with good cooler and OC you can increase the lifetime of your current setup with very small cash.
Buying Skylake is more expensive but it should perform fairly well out of box without OC, but if it's worth the money remains to be seen as benchmarks currently seem to contradict each other, wait for the release (tomorrow) and judge from the benchmarks if it's worth the money is what I'd say.

Great thanks for the advice!

Boss Mog

Not sure about timezone, but 24h format for time suggest EU => CEST.

Edit: i7 6700K benchmark: http://iyd.kr/758

Maybe there's some kind of driver issues, or some other software related problem causing Skylake to perform worse than Devil's Canyon in games, even at equal clock speed. I'm baffled...

The article seems to be pointing out that early benchmarks for Nehalem were slower in games than Yorkfield but I don't remember that being the case later on, so maybe there's hope.

Top Bottom