• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICE deathwatch: Hyundai motor group shutters combustion engine R&D division, reassigns engineers to EVs

fuck ICE cars. i would love an EV but too expensive and i'd have pretty much no way to charge it unless i left it in the supermarket car park which is 20 mins away from my house.

EVs are the future but still a while to go. the sooner ICE cars die the better.

mclaren777

As an American who doesn't have access to all of the wonderful cars that Europeans get, the Veloster N is one of only a few cars from the past decade that interests me.

I could see that being my next car whenever somebody totals my current E46.

TheGrat1

"ICE Deathwatch"

I would really love to see someone try to design a fighter jet or a main battle tank that runs solely on electricity.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'd like to see a horse run on electricity.
2gyum2.gif

xrnzaaas

Or EV racing will cannibalize the racing markets.
My bet is that EV push will ultimately destroy motorsports. Even Formula E as the biggest EV sport out there never truly picked up in terms of popularity and I see people more excited even about what's happening in Formula 2. Besides a lot of motorsports are about the (real) sounds the cars make as an important part of the experience. I can't imagine going to a rally event to watch cars that are either silent or equipped with speakers for fake sounds.

MikeM

I’m holding out as long as I can with my 2010 car. Need an SUV and don’t want ICE if EV tech continues to expand as it is. Infrastructure needs to be heavily invested in though as cross country travel with an EV isn’t ideal (in Canada anyways).

JayK47

Reading the latest Motortrend magazine, they do spend a lot of time on EVs since that is what is coming. So far I have not seen an EV that would be a good replacement for my family SUV with 3rd row seating. All of the decent EVs are very expensive, twice or more than I would be willing to spend. The transition cannot happen overnight. Ignoring the lack of charging capacity and availability, the materials that the batteries are made of are scarce and expensive. If every single manufacturer goes EV, there is going to be major supply chain issues, worse than now. I predict the manufacturers that hold out the longest will suddenly see a surge in demand because of lack of available EVs as well as cost.

I think the best fit for EVs at the moment are fleet vehicles. Vehicles that spend all day on the road and can be easily charged at a fleet parking lot. For example, mail vehicles and UPS/Fed Ex. Since they are on the road all day, they will get the most gains on reduced carbon emissions. My cars are not driven that much and it is not going to put much of a dent in carbon emissions.

For a manufacturer to go 100% EV anytime soon I think is a mistake.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Reading the latest Motortrend magazine, they do spend a lot of time on EVs since that is what is coming. So far I have not seen an EV that would be a good replacement for my family SUV with 3rd row seating. All of the decent EVs are very expensive, twice or more than I would be willing to spend. The transition cannot happen overnight. Ignoring the lack of charging capacity and availability, the materials that the batteries are made of are scarce and expensive. If every single manufacturer goes EV, there is going to be major supply chain issues, worse than now. I predict the manufacturers that hold out the longest will suddenly see a surge in demand because of lack of available EVs as well as cost.

I think the best fit for EVs at the moment are fleet vehicles. Vehicles that spend all day on the road and can be easily charged at a fleet parking lot. For example, mail vehicles and UPS/Fed Ex. Since they are on the road all day, they will get the most gains on reduced carbon emissions. My cars are not driven that much and it is not going to put much of a dent in carbon emissions.

For a manufacturer to go 100% EV anytime soon I think is a mistake.

I'm sure flip phones and Nokias were still made after 2007, but everyone wanted an iPhone. The same will probably happen now.

Blade2.0

I wonder if we’re close to seeing the peek of ICE engineering then, or if advancements will still be made in the racing areas
Pretty sure we've been at the peak for a long time. We've hovered at 45-50mpg being the upper efficiency of ICEs for like 25 years now.

I don’t think this is very relevant. Car makers weren’t even on the development vanguard. There is still plenty of application for ICEs anyway. Europe is actually turning on a lot of them right now (gas turbines).

Top Bottom