• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceberg Lettuce. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

It has no taste at all, barely any nutrition, yet it remains insanely popular.

I won't lie, we grew up on the stuff, but we switched to romaine in my teenage years. And when I moved out I got into mesclun, and later baby spinach.

These days I rotate between romaine, spinach, kale, mesclun for raw leafy greens.

Anyone remember iceberg lettuce salads with Wishbone "French" dressing? Nothing more American than that!

Schrade

It's for the texture. When you want some crunch in your sandwich. And even if it's just a salad with iceberg lettuce it's still that nice crunch that makes it appealing.

DJ_Lae

On sandwiches or in burgers the crunch is great.

I prefer pretty much every other kind of lettuce or green in a salad, though.

Are you one of those people that says water has "no taste" too?

It has taste. Especially because it has texture, which influences perception of taste.

It's a nice, cheap entry level vegetable. You don't like how veggies taste? Well, this one tastes like nothing, so try it. Also, it's crispy.

entremet

I'm talking about salads, brehs.

Not sandwiches or burgers.

It's basically a condiment there, not the main attraction.

It sucks for salads.

it's good for the crunch and fresh crispness in sammiches though. I use romaine for that mostly nowadays anyways.

Apt101

Dried (on the outside), vinaigrette will adhere to it really well, giving a salad nice crunch and moisture for light salads. Salad that is still wet will dilute the vinaigrette - wasting it most of the time. Of course other types of lettuce will provide the same, only with less crunch and moisture. I got all this from a tip by Gordon Ramsay.

I prefer romaine myself, for everything.

Cheap, crunchy, makes you think you're eating a vegetable. In a world where meat amd potatos gives everyone a bowel suffering until they die, it's very welcomed.

That way people don't have to taste spinach, broccoli or zuchinni. Yet they stilk get their monthly amount of greens, in their minds

Volotaire

I grew up on it as one of the my main leafy salads but have since substituted it for more interesting, and nutritious, green leaves such as rocket and spinach.

I eat it occaisonaly is due to its texture, taste and price.

Takuan

Texture and water content. I get that it's mostly worthless, but a nice head of lettuce is pretty refreshing.

ReAxion

Don't do iceberg in a salad. May as well just drink dressing from the bottle if you're making iceberg lettuce salads.

Faenix1

Depends on what kind of salad I want to have.

A general salad with ranch or whatever I usually go for Iceberg Lettuce. That's about it.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
When I was younger I would throw a handful of chopped Iceberg into my hot bowl of Ramen. It takes on a funky texture when its all cooked and wilted.

Y'all need to leave the crunching for the croutons and eat something with nutritional value.
Not going to put croutons in my sandwich.

I could go for some crunchy pickle action, but I'd still lay them over a small bed of iceberg lettuce.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It has plenty of nutrition. And taste is more than just flavor. Things like texture, creaminess, and crunch all help to make a dish palatable.

I wish I could like green leafy vegetables. Tried cooked kale and fucking hated the taste and texture.

Don't like lettuce either.

Sky Chief

Iceberg has long been popular in the US because it grows well in North America and it ships well. It is actually called Iceberg because it was originally shipped out of California in ice cooled train carriages. Before this, lettuce was rare in most of the US.

Nowadays we have more varieties of lettuce that are better adapted for North American cultivation and better shipping technology so there is much more selection in the supermarket but it is still popular because of its texture and price.

I work in agriculture, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom