• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceberg Lettuce. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spliced

Crunch factor.

If I'm having a burrito or a burger I need something to provide that satisfying crunch. I usually go with romaine though.

iceberg lettuce is a deal breaker for me in pretty much anything

Nah man...Wedge Salad is an epic starter. I'm heading to a steakhouse for dinner, I might order that now just because of this thread.

the-wedge.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I avoided it for years because it takes too much room up in a salad but I was recently reminded of how good it can be in the right circumstances as something that soaks up flavor without becoming dense like bread. Using it as a wrap for instance with strongly flavored meat. All that juice and flavoring gets in the lettuce and it's delicious as fuck.

It's not good, it's awful. We have a fixation here in Sweden to put this shit on pretty much everything, because the idea that if something isn't green enough, it can't be healthy. And I just think it makes everything worse.

Vile weed.

vile-weed-o.gif

Sophia

Romaine is good on its own, but it's disgusting on burgers and some sandwiches. It's just too leafy.

Yeah. I mainly eat it for salads when I do eat salads, and just avoid lettuce altogether for burgers and stuff. I have an aversion to particular textures anyhow.

M-PG71C

It's got its place. Wraps, especially non-carb wraps, sandwiches, wedge salads, the list goes on. And there is some nutritional value to it (Although no-where near the level as other green leafs) and it is very filling. I prefer others but overall, it's not bad at all.

iceberg (including cripsy types)

"It is also a good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron and Potassium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese."

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I enjoy crunchy water. Sometimes I eat a quarter head of iceberg as a near calorie-less snack.

I do the same with cucumbers.

It's refreshing.

Iceberg ruins literally everything it's in. Nothing is more disrespectful to a sandwich or sub or burrito or burger than having even a sliver of iceberg on it. It immediately washes away whatever flavor in the rest of the item, so you just have a mouthful of vaguely flavored water..

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I'd also like to point out that if you're drowning your lettuce/salad in dressing anyway, you're not exactly eating healthy.

Sure, iceberg drowned in dressing is unhealthy. So is romaine in the same circumstance, even if slightly less so.

DOWN

Banned
It's got a gear texture and like all lettuce, a mild taste. Lettuce never is very flavorful on its own OP so back off.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I like a bit in my sandwich. It's harmless when it's placed between the meat and cheese. I also like having that crunch texture to the sandwich. It adds another dimension to the overall experience that I enjoy without interfering with the main show.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
It's pretty much useless to me. If I ever use lettuce for any reason it's baby spinach, arugula, or spring mix.

Restaurants that don't put lettuce in a spinner prior to dressing are garbage tier shit holes

</rant>

Aiustis

Yeah I never got it. Offensive on a burger more offensive in a salad.

Pretty much anything iceberg can do, napa (I know it's a cabbage but it's what I use instead) can do better including sit unused in the fridge.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I read somewhere that it takes more calories to eat iceberg lettuce than the amount of calories in the iceberg lettuce.

Dunno if it's true or one of those "internet facts".

Lomax

Per the OP: gotta be because it's cheap. Because yeah, literally any lettuce is better. It's not "bad" per se but it's certainly not good.

I read somewhere that it takes more calories to eat iceberg lettuce than the amount of calories in the iceberg lettuce.

Dunno if it's true or one of those "internet facts".

It's semi-true in that if you feed an animal (like a rabbit) exclusively iceberg it will die, but that's more for the lack of nutrient content than anything else. But the calorie content is pretty low as well.

because bad restaurants who want cheap product to sell you love it

I ordered a salad from a known "not good" place because everything else was closed, thing cost like 8 bucks and was 50% iceberg.

BowieZ

Banned
I've heard (probably unreliably) that McDonald's salads are so profitable it's not funny. In Australia a "lavish" chicken salad costs like $9, but because of it being almost entirely iceberg lettuce (plus cheap fake chicken, cheap salad dressing I believe sponsored by Heinz, and cheap cardboard bowls, etc), costs something like 40 cents to make.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
A burger without lettuce is just weird, it's the only time I eat it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom