• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'd like to change the Toy Story 1995 graphics standard for games, but.....

Yes, I'm at the moment that I can't tell Final Fantasy X CGi is beautiful anymore... That's not ugly, weird or shomething like that, but anyway, that's not amazing as when I saw for the first time... I believe we're gonna get some kind of PS3 CGi Level, in terms of looking, not in terms of technique, but the looking, like FFXIII CGi, at the ending of this gen...

Blizzard used to have these unbelievable cutscenes for their games back then and we were all wowed but nowadays I dont think they are that amazing anymore because a lot of other developers caught up and have access to a lot of free tools like UE 5 engine etc. Im not saying they are bad but just as you said, they look as graphics of the time, no more that...holy shit how did they achieve this.

HighPoly

Banned
Blizzard used to have these unbelievable cutscenes for their games back then and we were all wowed but nowadays I dont think they are that amazing anymore because a lot of other developers caught up and have access to a lot of free tools like UE 5 engine etc. Im not saying they are bad but just as you said, they look as graphics of the time, no more that...holy shit how did they achieve this.
For sure, I'm very proud of being playing Resident Evil 2 Remake, with better graphics than all those pre render scenarios from the original. I mean, take a look at that old R.P.D, and then explore the new one. They made an amazing job with RE2 Remake Graphics.

calistan

I managed to find some render of Woody from the first movie which consisted roughly of 40,000 polygons but that one wasn't the official movie render (although it looked close enough) so take it with a grain of salt. In comparison, an average video game character in modern games like God of War require about 80,000 polygons.

So there you go, the visual complexity of modern games is roughly twice of that what you saw in the original Toy Story movie, meaning that video games have far surpassed that level of visual fidelity a long time ago.

Also, while I was googling this, I stumbled upon this thread:

Seems like GAF is really preoccupied with this particular conundrum, lol.
It's an interesting topic, although my reference point for game graphics is Jurassic Park (N64!). There's also this one:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/have-games-met-or-exceeded-toy-story-at-this-point.1093443

Seems unfair to compare things running on newer tech to a movie that was rendered on a 100 MHz computer (lots of them, but only 100 MHz each). I found a Pixar tweet from a couple of years ago that said their current tech can render a frame from Toy Story 1 in 6 seconds, so however games fudge it to run at 60 fps, they're still not doing what Toy Story did.

This was all pioneering computer animation, so it's understandable that the look has been surpassed. I doubt realtime animation will ever approach the Toy Story 4 level, though. They have a fairground scene with 17,000 light sources, the pine needles on the trees are individual polygons, and this scene supposedly took 1,300 hours of render time (per core, for a single frame). No wonder when Pixar films have deleted scenes in the special features, it's just pencil drawings. These things are expensive.

Inp52H9.jpg

HighPoly

Banned
It's an interesting topic, although my reference point for game graphics is Jurassic Park (N64!). There's also this one:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/have-games-met-or-exceeded-toy-story-at-this-point.1093443

Seems unfair to compare things running on newer tech to a movie that was rendered on a 100 MHz computer (lots of them, but only 100 MHz each). I found a Pixar tweet from a couple of years ago that said their current tech can render a frame from Toy Story 1 in 6 seconds, so however games fudge it to run at 60 fps, they're still not doing what Toy Story did.

This was all pioneering computer animation, so it's understandable that the look has been surpassed. I doubt realtime animation will ever approach the Toy Story 4 level, though. They have a fairground scene with 17,000 light sources, the pine needles on the trees are individual polygons, and this scene supposedly took 1,300 hours of render time (per core, for a single frame). No wonder when Pixar films have deleted scenes in the special features, it's just pencil drawings. These things are expensive.

Inp52H9.jpg
Yeah my friend, that's what I'm talking about...
We've been watching things like Toy Story 4 or even Mario Movie, and My personal standard for future is Mario...
I hope to see them in real time til the end of the next 11 years, I mean, these 4 years til the end of this currently generation, and more 7 years of the next.
Starting from PS7 is my bet for Toy Story 4 graphics, maybe in some advanced version of UE6 or even the UE7...

Last edited:

calistan

Yeah my friend, that's what I'm talking about...
We've been watching things like Toy Story 4 or even Mario Movie, and My personal standard for future is Mario...
I hope to see them in real time til the end of the next 11 years, I mean, these 4 years til the end of this currently generation, and more 7 years of the next.
Starting from PS7 is my bet for Toy Story 4 graphics, maybe in some advanced version of UE6 or even the UE7...
I doubt it - most animated movies don't look anywhere near as good as Toy Story 4, it's an absurdly high bar.

HighPoly

Banned
I doubt it - most animated movies don't look anywhere near as good as Toy Story 4, it's an absurdly high bar.
We don't really know how beautiful a true next gen game is gonna look like in this gen.
I'm considering the jump from PS5 to PS6 at least 5x the power. And then 5x the power of PS6 to PS7, it's more like an exponential jump.
Well we're gonna see what a next gen game looks like on the Playstation Showcase in a few DAYS...
I hope to see an in Engine Trailer of Wolverine, Spider Man 2 and MK.

Last edited:
I absolutely believe modern games can run Toy Story 1 graphics in real time. The overall look and quality, barring the technology powering the rendering it, should be focused on.

It is in that sense that my eyes tell me this is the case.

That was the fascination all these years. I was 16 when Toy Story came out and it has been an amazing journey to see what video game consoles and PCs have become capable of. If I took a PS5 or XSX and showed my 15 year old self what they can do... My head would have exploded.

I used to daydream about graphics like we have today. They are even better than I imagined in a lot of ways. It's here and now. What a time.

Last edited:
Uncharted 4 through The Last of Us Part 1 remake are all way more technically impressive. Especially because they run in real time.

I'd argue that debate has been over since the late PS4 days.

Toy Story is old as dirt now. Not to mention many of you only have seen the remastered rerelease of Toy Story 1. The original theatrical version looks a looooot worse than what's available now.
Since when did they remaster it? Pretty sure that's false information. Upscaling the resolution for a 4K release is not what one would consider a remaster in terms of texture, lighting and animation. Remaster is the technical term though for remastering film footage I suppose. I just wouldn't use that term myself it the same way for a CGI Pixar movie.

HighPoly

Banned
Since when did they remaster it? Pretty sure that's false information. Upscaling the resolution for a 4K release is not what one would consider a remaster in terms of texture, lighting and animation. Remaster is the technical term though for remastering film footage I suppose. I just wouldn't use that term myself it the same way for a CGI Pixar movie.
a kind of poor remaster

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I found a Pixar tweet from a couple of years ago that said their current tech can render a frame from Toy Story 1 in 6 seconds, so however games fudge it to run at 60 fps, they're still not doing what Toy Story did.
Thats here:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
JESUS!!! We'll never run something like that, cause if the NASA COMPUTERS from Pixar doesn't run a single frame less than 6 seconds, consoles will touch it in 30 years ahead!!!!
I am not sure why this was said. Eventually we will get there, or atleast look better. Shader effects dictate a lot more how something looks, along with artstyle.

HighPoly

Banned
I am not sure why this was said. Eventually we will get there, or atleast look better. Shader effects dictate a lot more how something looks, along with artstyle.
Well, despite we are not running those same poligon count, I see games so for prettier than everything made in 90's, as a pre rendering CGi.
In my opinion we surpassed the impact of Toy Story 1995 so far, with Ratchet Clank Rift Apart, and this is what really matters...
I'm looking forward, I believe we're gonna play games with the same UE5 tech demo graphics released at the present.

Last edited:

egocrata

Banned
One important thing to ver in mind is that Toy Story dedicated a lot of computing resources to things that we will consider quite inefficient now with today’s hardware. Memory, for instance, is MUCH cheaper now, so any modern engine dedicates a lot more time an effort to textures and model detail. Lighting is computationally expensive for the returns you get, so path tracing and simplified versions of Ray tracing are preferred.

If you put Cyberpunk 2077 and Toy Story 1 side by side, the former looks MUCH better now, even if the lighting might not be as accurate than the later.

Griffon

Sorry that's the movie term and not the video game term.
The original theatrical movie was at a pretty low res if compared to today's standards. Otherwise it should indeed look the same.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
And yet no one has yet posted a picture of toy story, the one posted is from Toy Story 2
Sure, I know that seems equivalent, but Toy Story 2 is so far ahead the the 1995 movie!!
Better geometry and hair...
Well, we need to consider another level graphics, as a standard to reach! Toy Story 2, 3?? Monster Inc? Shrek? NEMO??

hussar16

i think the best comparison is diablo 4 and its in game graphics finally matching 1999 diablo 2 cgi. we have gotten to 2000 level cgi of fidelity

Last edited:
Top Bottom