• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

capture4vync.png

[EDIT 2]

AND WE ARE FUNDED !!!! AWESOME THANKS EVERY BUT PLEASE KEEP DONATING BECAUSE IT CAN ONLY BECOME EVEN MORE AWESOME, the more money they get the more stuff they can do to keep doing what we love!

[EDIT 1]
Holy goddamn shit. This is working far better than expected.

One thing to clarify for folks who (understandably) don't get why we're asking for this much money: We're doing pretty complicated, high quality rewards. It means no matter how many rewards we have to make, we still have to do full minimum print runs of a bunch of t-shirts, vinyl records, high quality art prints, etc., etc.. Even if only one person bought each of those things (which fortunately isn't the case), we'd still have to order a whole bunch of them just for that one guy. A lot of Kickstarters for projects similar to ours have much more straightforward rewards. We chose to do something a bit more complex, which means we need to reach a higher minimum to break even, and then to have a decent amount of money left over to do other fairly expensive things like rent an office, and so on.

Hope that clears it up a bit. Anyway, I can't thank you guys enough for your support! This has been in the works for months and months and it's crazy to see it pan out like this.
Thanks Chris I'll add that to the OP :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idlethumbs/idle-thumbs-video-game-podcast
A few years ago, some guys with careers in the video game industry started producing a weekly podcast out of a San Francisco apartment. We had few goals, except that the show be independent, remain unconstrained by a segment-driven format, and be recorded only with all parties present in the room--not over Skype. It really worked for people, and it became a big part of our lives.

Over two years, we developed an audience who appreciated our dubious blend of interpersonal chemistry, insight into development and the industry, sometimes-pretentious musings about games, and baffling phonological explorations of Jeff Goldblum’s name. Just check out our archive! (We've heard it's best to start from episode 1.)

People tell us they miss the show. We miss creating it just as much. So, three of us have decided it's time to make this thing happen again. The current core lineup is Chris Remo, Sean Vanaman, and Jake Rodkin, with planned guest appearances by Steve Gaynor. You might unfortunately know us as Boost, Famous, Video Games, and Hot Scoops. We'd like your help. Without you, the puzzle is incomplete.

MORE INFO in the link.
Someone feel free to put this in the OP since there seem to be a fair share of users here who have questions but don't bother to click the link and since this is Gaf people are going straight to the final post.

r_01tbxoz.png

A few years ago, some guys with careers in the video game industry started producing a weekly podcast out of a San Francisco apartment. We had few goals, except that the show be independent, remain unconstrained by a segment-driven format, and be recorded only with all parties present in the room--not over Skype. It really worked for people, and it became a big part of our lives.

Over two years, we developed an audience who appreciated our dubious blend of interpersonal chemistry, insight into development and the industry, sometimes-pretentious musings about games, and baffling phonological explorations of Jeff Goldblum’s name. Just check out our archive! (We've heard it's best to start from episode 1.)

People tell us they miss the show. We miss creating it just as much. So, three of us have decided it's time to make this thing happen again. The current core lineup is Chris Remo, Sean Vanaman, and Jake Rodkin, with planned guest appearances by Steve Gaynor. You might unfortunately know us as Boost, Famous, Video Games, and Hot Scoops. We'd like your help. Without you, the puzzle is incomplete.

r_02yez1z.png

We've never charged for content. Thumbs has always been a purely volunteer activity. That became difficult once we found ourselves the custodians of a moderately successful podcast. The regular time commitment combined with the costs of equipment and bandwidth meant an activity we greatly enjoyed also became a considerable resource drain. Even now, with the podcast defunct, we spend money every month to keep the full archive available through a good host--and that's a lot more money when the podcast is active.

We never had the benefit of being attached to a large media outlet. We’ve always relied on the ever-gratifying word-of-mouth provided by our community to get our name out there. Now our goal is to make Idle Thumbs pay for itself so that once it starts up again, we can continue to produce it weekly for years to come. We still have no intention of charging for the cast.

That's only part of why we're doing this Kickstarter, though.

r_031nhygi.png

We want Idle Thumbs to grow. When we come back, we're planning on launching with not just the main video game podcast, but also a book club podcast in which we choose a book to read for a month then discuss it on the air, including with reader questions.

And we want to be able to fund a home base--an office, even a tiny closet-sized one, from which we can record podcasts and plan the site's future. We want to give Thumbs the space to become something more than just a hobby project.

Thumbs has gone dormant several times over the years, only to return time and time again in various forms. This time, we want it to stay active indefinitely, to cast away its once-inevitable biennial slumber--not merely to subsist but to [some kind of metaphor here about a grenade rolling down a hill].

r_04fsa3v.png

Rewards are rad. Idle Thumbs merchandise has never been easily available, and Kickstarter offers a great system to do something we already like doing (designing and producing digital and physical goods) in a way that will help ensure the future of something we love (our goofy video game podcast). Hopefully, this is just the start.

Here's what we've got lined up:

r_t01x9axv.png

PROGRESSCAST: Exclusive access to short pre-launch podcasts from Chris, Jake, Sean, and possible guests as they feverishly attempt to get Idle Thumbs back up and running.

THUMBACKGROUNDS: Digital Idle Thumbs wallpaper pack for your computer and mobile devices, created by designer Alex Griendling.

YOU'VE GOT MAIL: We will make and sign a postcard, and mail it to you in the actual real physical mail.

FOUNDER'S WALL: Your name on a permanent Kickstarter backer page on the Idle Thumbs website.

INTERNATIONAL BACKERS: Add $3 for higher shipping costs.

r_t02pylne.png

tier_gamefxlnk.jpg

THIRTY FLIGHTS OF LOVING: Download the video game short story Thirty Flights of Loving, Blendo Games' sequel to Gravity Bone, developed for the Idle Thumbs Kickstarter and featuring an original soundtrack by Chris Remo. It will blow you away (PC digital download). Check out the original Gravity Bone (and other incredible Blendo titles like Atom Zombie Smasher) at Blendo's website.

MUSIC OF THE THUMB (digital): Digital access to newly-recorded versions of several Idle Thumbs songs by Chris Remo ("The Idle Thumbs Podcast Theme," "The Fanboy's Lament," "Space Asshole," "The Wizard") and a remix by Jared Emerson-Johnson, composer for Sam & Max seasons 1-3 and much more. (See the "WORLD IS YOURS" tier for physical version of this album.)

ALSO: Progresscast access, digital backgrounds, your name on the Founder's Wall, and a signed postcard.

INTERNATIONAL BACKERS: Add $3 for higher shipping costs.

r_t031vyag.png

tier_shirt1uz32.jpg

WEAR THE THUMB: They thought you were ashamed of your love for Idle Thumbs. Prove them wrong with a high-quality American Apparel t-shirt emblazoned with our new logo designed by Stevan Zivadinovic. (You will be asked to indicate your size once funding has been completed.)

IDLE THUMBS STICKER PACK: Aw yeah! Rock on! Cha-ching! (These are stickers. You can stick them on things.)

ALSO: Blendo's Thirty Flights of Loving game, "Music of the Thumb" digital album, Progresscast access, digital backgrounds, your name on the Founder's Wall, and a signed postcard.

INTERNATIONAL BACKERS: Add $10 for higher shipping costs.

r_t055ua9v.png

VINCENT PEREA DRAWS SPACE: A distant nebula. A craggy Marsianscape. Nothing is as picturesque as space in the springtime. Receive a high quality print, suitable for framing from Vincent Perea, the artist behind The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, Where's My Water?, and more.

HOUSE OF LORDS: Your name will forever grace the distinguished "House of Lords" tier of the Idle Thumbs Founder's Wall.

ALSO: Blendo's Thirty Flights of Loving game, Idle Thumbs t-shirt, "Music of the Thumb" digital album, Progresscast access, digital backgrounds, sticker pack, your name on the Founder's Wall, and a signed postcard.

r_t04tvz9r.png

GRAHAM ANNABLE'S SHITTY WIZARD: High quality set of four small frameable prints of a shitty wizard (see Idle Thumbs episode 50) from Graham Annable, the artist behind

Grickle, Puzzle Agent, and more.

HOUSE OF LORDS: Your name will forever grace the distinguished "House of Lords" tier of the Idle Thumbs Founder's Wall.

ALSO: Blendo's Thirty Flights of Loving game, Idle Thumbs t-shirt, "Music of the Thumb" digital album, Progresscast access, digital backgrounds, sticker pack, your name on the Founder's Wall, and a signed postcard.

r_t0632x08.png

tier_shirtnews1ty5o.jpg

WIZARD'S EXCLUSIVE GOLD FOIL TUNIC: T-shirt with gold foil Idle Thumbs logo inspired by the logo from classic video game film The Wizard. This shirt variant only ever available through this Kickstarter!

MUSIC OF THE THUMB (vinyl): Vinyl EP featuring new recordings of four Idle Thumbs tracks ("The Idle Thumbs Podcast Theme," "The Fanboy's Lament," "Space Asshole," "The Wizard") performed by Chris Remo, a B-side featuring a remix by Jared Emerson-Johnson (The Walking Dead game, Sam & Max Seasons 1-3), and cover art by talented illustrator Campbell Whyte (8-Bit Dreams). You will also receive a digital version of the album.

RUINATIONCAST: You will have the right to demand a topic we must discuss on the final Progresscast. Use this power wisely.

THAT'S WHY YOU ALWAYS LEAVE A NOTE: We will hand-write a unique note, poem, or insult on your signed postcard.

JOURNAL OF GAMES: Receive one of the few remaining hard copies of the Idle Thumbs Journal of Games, a one-off broadsheet newspaper distributed solely during Game Developers Conference 2009 in San Francisco. Content and design by Jake Rodkin, Chris Remo, Steve Gaynor, Marek Bronstring, Duncan Fyfe, David Eggers, and Snap E. Gamer.

HOUSE OF LORDS: Your name will forever grace the "House of Lords" tier of the Idle Thumbs Founder's Wall.
ALSO: Art prints from Graham Annable and Vincent Perea, Blendo's Thirty Flights of Loving game, Idle Thumbs logo t-shirt, "Music of the Thumb" digital album, Progresscast access, sticker pack, digital backgrounds, and a signed postcard.

r_t07z6yby.png

SERIOUSLY: This is outrageous. Look at all these wondrous Idle Thumbs treasures. You want them. Wait, you're saying you want even more rewards? Unbelievable rewards that will leave you with stories to surprise and delight your children and your children's children, honoring your family name for generations to come? Read on, friend...

tier_hoorayg7bc2.jpg

BE OUR FRIEND: Come have dinner with us and your plus-one, either in San Francisco when you're in town, or during a game industry event we attend, such as PAX or GDC.

IMMORTALIZED IN SONG: Chris will write and record a song about you or a topic of your choice, and we'll play it in a 2012 episode of Idle Thumbs of your choosing. (Song topic excludes commercial advertisement.)

WIZARD'S CIRCLE: Your name will be proudly etched for all eternity in the "Wizard's Circle" tier of the Idle Thumbs Founder's Wall, our highest honor.

AND DON'T FORGET: Art prints from Graham Annable and Vincent Perea, Blendo's Thirty Flights of Loving game, "Music of the Thumb" vinyl EP and digital album, input on the Ruinationcast, Idle Thumbs logo t-shirt, exclusive gold foil t-shirt based on The Wizard, one of the last copies of the Idle Thumbs Journal of Games, Progresscast access, sticker pack, digital backgrounds, and a signed postcard with a custom note.

INTERNATIONAL BACKERS: At this point we are no longer concerned about that $10.

r_t094ix8f.png

tier_hoorayplushlb4e.jpg

BE OUR FRIEND: Come have dinner with us and your plus-one, either in San Francisco when you're in town, or during a game industry event we attend, such as PAX or GDC. Except in this version, the dinner is at a super nice restaurant. Swank.

IMMORTALIZED IN SONG: Chris will write and record a song about you or a topic of your choice, and we'll play it in a 2012 episode of Idle Thumbs of your choosing. (Song topic excludes commercial advertisement.)

WIZARD'S CIRCLE: Your name will be proudly etched for all eternity in the "Wizard's Circle" tier of the Idle Thumbs Founder's Wall, our highest honor.

AND DON'T FORGET: Art prints from Graham Annable and Vincent Perea, Blendo's Thirty Flights of Loving game, "Music of the Thumb" vinyl EP and digital album, input on the Ruinationcast, Idle Thumbs logo t-shirt, exclusive gold foil t-shirt based on The Wizard, one of the last copies of the Idle Thumbs Journal of Games, Progresscast access, sticker pack, digital backgrounds, and a signed postcard with a custom note.

r_t10nkbtq.png

PATRON OF THE SHOW: You will be the sponsor of two (2) (ii) 2012 episodes of Idle Thumbs of your choosing. Sponsorship consists of a short ad read at the beginning of the episode, and a brief jingle recorded by Chris and played at the break. (Jingles are exclusive to this Kickstarter campaign.)

r_t11egzn6.png

PATRON OF THE SHOW: You will be the sponsor of five (5) (v) 2012 episodes of Idle Thumbs of your choosing. Sponsorship consists of a short ad read at the beginning of the episode, and a brief jingle recorded by Chris and played at the break. (Jingles are exclusive to this Kickstarter campaign.)

(Note: All pictured rewards are works in progress.)

r_0593a8z.png

art_brendonzrbap.jpg

Brendon Chung is the one-man development team behind Blendo Games, known for its incredibly diverse slate of video games including Atom Zombie Smasher, Flotilla, and Gravity Bone.

art_grahaml0yir.jpg

Graham Annable is a Portland-based illustrator and animator known for his Grickle comics and videos, as well as the Puzzle Agent video games. He works as a storyboard artist at Laika, the animation studio behind the film Coraline.

art_vincentbga7h.jpg

Vincent Perea is a Los Angeles-based artist whose video game titles include The Odd Gentlemen's The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom and Disney's hit iOS game Where's My Water?

art_alexxpyhp.jpg

Alex Griendling is a San Francisco-based designer and illustrator who has created movie posters, calendars, and any number of other pieces of visual media. He currently works at Google.

art_campbellilxqp.jpg

Campbell Whyte is a Perth, Australia-based artist. His work spans many media and includes the ever-growing 8-Bit Dreams series based on classic video games.

art_stevan5mynz.jpg

Stevan Zivadinovic is a San Antonio-based artist and web developer, and a long-time Idle Thumbs contributor. He is currently creating the ongoing dynamic webcomic Hobo Lobo of Hamelin.

ASK A QUESTION
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn, great news, but 30K - never expected that. I'll pledge what I can, hope they reach it!

Considering they've reached 10% in like ooh 5 minutes I doubt it'll be an issue ;)

Pledged $100, would give more considering how much I value the podcast itself. Also I really recommend people actually reading through it all.

edit : Or dutchslayer, if you want to add more to the OP that would be nice.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
will donate 5$, I enjoy listening to them even though it's like talking with buddies about games and you can have it for free. But I laugh when I'm listening to them on public transport so I guess it's worth 5$.

watership

Every podcast I've listened to by these guys was ruined my their laughing and giggling at their own inside jokes. Skip forward, giggling, loud laughing, snorting. Not even funny.

Anno

Fuck yeah, exactly what I wanted. Throwing in $50 for now, may up it if necessary. I'm sure I've extracted hundreds of dollars worth of fun out past episodes.

neoemonk

Every podcast I've listened to by these guys was ruined my their laughing and giggling at their own inside jokes. Skip forward, giggling, loud laughing, snorting. Not even funny.

I must have missed most of that due to the sound of my own laughter.

linko9

Wow.... as someone who's never listened to this, but listens to many other podcasts, let's just say this better be the best damn thing since peanut butter if they're asking that kind of money. But I guess that's for their fans to decide, best of luck to them I suppose.

Corky

The video is class.

I love you Boost, Games and Famous.

The rewards are proper great as well.

notworksafe

They need $30,000 for a podcast? Come on...

Online hosting can get pretty expensive.

Psh. Libsyn's most expensive plan is $75/month....and that's for uploading 1.5 gb of audio a month. I doubt they'll even be doing that much podcasting.

I absolutely consider Idle Thumbs to be the best gaming podcast after the dead of GFWL, and in some ways superior. You have my support Mr. Remo.

Anno

The video is pretty damned awesome, too. Definitely watch it. $30k might not be cheap, but if it helps Idle Thumbs to really be self-sustaining and more than just a podcast then it'll be worth every dime.

Axiom

I will definitely support this, and am quite excited. A book club to take over from Oprah even!

Though considering my Puzzle Agent shirt is my favourite shirt, that Graham Annable option is damn tempting.

Now to get paid...and try not to dip into my Vita fund.

randomwab

As far as I'm aware, they're asking $30,000 for all the podcast stuff but also for an office which will be the birth of more non-podcast Idle Thumbs stuff.

watership

I must have missed most of that due to the sound of my own laughter.

I went and found some YouTube clips of some 'funny' moments from their old podcast. Came away thinking they were even more annoying than before.

The Giant Bomb guys are far more entertaining and don't laugh for 20 seconds after every quip.

randomwab

I went and found some YouTube clips of some 'funny' moments from their old podcast. Came away thinking they were even more annoying than before.

The Giant Bomb guys are far more entertaining and don't laugh for 20 seconds after every quip.

You're saying all this in an Idle Thumbs thread. What are you hoping for?

Corky

If I'm not terribly wrong the giantbomb crew has 10-15000 paid subscribers that pay roughly 50 usd a year for hd videos and exclusive video clips. That's more than 500 000 for things like the "happy hour" concept per year.

30k for a podcast, and the prospect of an "actual" active Idle Thumbs site is nothing.

I worry that this 30K may help short-term, but how do they plan to maintain having the podcast pay for itself? I honestly would be happy to pay even 5 bucks a month for a quality podcast like Idle Thumbs, for example. I know they want to keep it free. I'm thinking about pledging high, some of those artists are amazing, would love to have some of their original work...

Campbell Whyte designed EP vinyl...god that sounds awesome.

WEGGLES

Psh. Libsyn's most expensive plan is $75/month....and that's for uploading 1.5 gb of audio a month. I doubt they'll even be doing that much podcasting.

Read the thing. They plan to get an office and such. They intend to use the money for years.

(Full disclosure: I've never listened to this podcast, and I didn't donate. I just find it annoying that they explain what the money is for and no one seems to read the description)

Corky

Sorry to hear, guess you won't be contributing.

rexor0717

When I get some cash, I am undoubtedly backing this. I wish I could donate way more than $50, but that how much I probably will.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
These guys deserve more than the $30,000 they are asking for. Idle Thumbs is priceless and being able to look forward to listening to more of it in future cannot be valued enough.

Saige

I must do better.
I’m pledging $10 now but I’ll probably bump that up to $50 for the shirt once I get paid.

If I can pay for GiantBomb membership, I sure as hell can give as much to these guys.

notworksafe

Read the thing. They plan to get an office and such. They intend to use the money for years.

(Full disclosure: I've never listened to this podcast, and I didn't donate. I just find it annoying that they explain what the money is for and no one seems to read the description)

Yeah I read the whole thing. Still not sure why 30k is needed. A podcasts is made with as little as some usb mics and a laptop. An office can be had for a very small amount of money.

If they are really planning to have this whole thing pay for itself, why not just get the amount of money needed to do a podcast and let their profits rent them an office?

Top Bottom