• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Salacious Crumb

$60 will be pledged, I want that shirt.

Who's this guy? His picture flashes for a frame in the video.

uW0iZ.png

LCfiner

this was an easy decision for me. I pledged 50 (well, 60 with intl shipping). If they get fully funded, I’ll have great content to listen to for a while to come. If they don’t make it, well, then the money is never removed from my account.

30K is around three times more than I thought they would need. My fingers are crossed that they have enough passionate fans to fully fund this.

Yeah I read the whole thing. Still not sure why 30k is needed. A podcasts is made with as little as some usb mics and a laptop. An office can be had for a very small amount of money.

If they are really planning to have this whole thing pay for itself, why not just get the amount of money needed to do a podcast and let their profits rent them an office?

Its worth pointing out the kickstarter makes sure the requested amount covers not just what they want for the podcast, but things like taxes (which is probably the biggest single expense), kickstarter's 5% cut, shipping for prizes, etc...

megalowho

Holy shit.. a new Brendon Chung game, and it's a followup to Gravity Bone no less? That's big stuff right there!

I'll chip in on that level at the end of the week when I get paid. Can't wait for more Thumbs podblasting into my earholes, they seem to be going at a pretty solid clip.

bestami

Gave 15$ which was all i could afford at this moment. I still listen to some of these episodes so this is the least i can do i suppose.

sixghost

Idle Thumbs and Giantbomb are two pillars of video game entertainment for me, I'm glad I'm able to support both now.

Haeleos

Every podcast I've listened to by these guys was ruined my their laughing and giggling at their own inside jokes. Skip forward, giggling, loud laughing, snorting. Not even funny.

Were you late to the party? I ask since I never felt like they were inside jokes.

Its worth pointing out the kickstarter makes sure the requested amount covers not just what they want for the podcast, but things like taxes (which is probably the biggest single expense), kickstarter's 5% cut, shipping for prizes, etc...

Kickstarter takes a 5% cut? lmbo scam of the century.

Will chip in once I have the cash to, I hope they get enough money to fly in Jeff Goldblum to read off a list of randomly generated Goldblum-based nonsense phrases.

notworksafe

Yes, and that is important to take into account. Again, still not seeing the need for such an expensive kickstarter. Comedy Button people were able to buy a full podcast setup, full video making setup, and deal with prizes and taxes for a kickstarter in the range of 9k....which still seems like a lot.

However if they get funded, good for them. I've never listened to the show but clearly there is a good sized fanbase.

$60 will be pledged, I want that shirt.

Who's this guy? His picture flashes for a frame in the video.

uW0iZ.png

Steve Gaynor, the new hot scoops, founder of the Gaynor GOTY.

I hope we can get some kind of art update, because I really would like to get an idea of what the prints will be before ordering.

Jake

I worry that this 30K may help short-term, but how do they plan to maintain having the podcast pay for itself? I honestly would be happy to pay even 5 bucks a month for a quality podcast like Idle Thumbs, for example. I know they want to keep it free. I'm thinking about pledging high, some of those artists are amazing, would love to have some of their original work...

Campbell Whyte designed EP vinyl...god that sounds awesome.

The money will cover costs for recording space and hosting for quite a while and help us pay to flesh out the site more, but it also gives us seed money to make some quality Thumbs merch for the first time ever, and get the infrastructure in place for other support methods like a membership club. Also, as some of the higher tiers implies, we're weighing sponsorship/advertising options, as long as we can keep them tasteful (or ridiculous). We'll have more details and be bouncing ideas off of folks for that stuff as it goes.

We want Idle Thumbs to grow. When we come back, we're planning on launching with not just the main video game podcast, but also a book club podcast in which we choose a book to read for a month then discuss it on the air, including with reader questions
This is exciting to me.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It seems reasonable to me? They're literally enabling new business models for projects that might not otherwise be viable, they deserve a cut.

NO MAN THEY SHOULD PROVIDE THIS SHIT FOR FREE

KARL MARX UP IN THIS BITCH

sonicmj1

I can't blame them for asking for $30K, considering they'll probably reach that number by the end of the day.

I'm contemplating pitching in at the low end, but I'll take my time to decide. I really liked the unique perspective Idle Thumbs had on games.

Kickstarter takes a 5% cut? lmbo scam of the century.

Do you expect them to build and maintain a service like that out of the kindness of their hearts? They created a new business model and they're providing an ongoing service.

$30 pledged, and at this rate they'll hit their goal within the hour.

Dynoro

Miss Thumbs so happily pledged straight away. The book podcast sounds like an interesting idea for expansion too

And 10K reached and I haven't even donated yet. Go Thumbs fans, GO!

edit: Also, I promise not to leak another podcast of yours before you are ready.
Yeah right (trolololol)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Every podcast I've listened to by these guys was ruined my their laughing and giggling at their own inside jokes. Skip forward, giggling, loud laughing, snorting. Not even funny.

Did you start at the beginning? Their jokes aren't really all that "inside," but I've seen that complaint before. Maybe it was just you in another thread.

Anno

$50 is nearly worth it alone for a new Blendo game. That it goes to supporting some of the best commentary in the industry is just another positive. Can't wait for the book club podcast either.

LCfiner

I’ll be honest: I’d have pledged 100 bucks if I could get a properly made bottle of Ultra-Boost energy drink with all the proper logos and shit.

Jburton

Banned
I hope to be able to donate something next week, totally worth it ..... always a joy to listen to this podcast.

Unbelievable, they are already over a third of the way to their goal.

Unbelievable.

Jake

I hope we can get some kind of art update, because I really would like to get an idea of what the prints will be before ordering.

We'll be posting updates from the artists as the work comes together. The first one we have a preview for is the rough pencils for the vinyl EP cover, which will be going up in the next couple days.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
$30k seriously? This seems like some bizarre social experiment.

Nope, the gaming internet is incredibly rich and this is a well-calculated move. Because all they want is some good coke. The podcast will actually be recorded with an iPod 3rd gen. With the stock headphones. In the subway.

Top Bottom