• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Rlan

RE: Offspring Fling, and that "people don't make that kind of game anymore".

Uhh... that's pretty much the platform for iPhone Games. Cut The Rope, Angry Birds, Where's My Water, Amazing Alex, pretty much the same concept as Offspring Fling but with less 2D platforming mechanics. Even then, the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games are basically that.

RE: Offspring Fling, and that "people don't make that kind of game anymore".

Uhh... that's pretty much the platform for iPhone Games. Cut The Rope, Angry Birds, Where's My Water, Amazing Alex, pretty much the same concept as Offspring Fling but with less 2D platforming mechanics. Even then, the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games are basically that.

Yeah that was my entire point. That kind of game is pretty much all mobile now. You never see people making a standalone PC and Mac game like that; they would make it for mobile.

Rlan

Yeah that was my entire point. That kind of game is pretty much all mobile now. You never see people making a standalone PC and Mac game like that; they would make it for mobile.

Well, except you can buy Cut The Rope and Angry Birds for PC as well :)

But yeah, I see what you're saying. PC-Only seems somewhat silly when it'd work for every single system imagineable.

sixghost

I think someone without a good base of knowledge in Football would have a rough time playing Football Manager. A big part of the game is making mid-game adjustments to your formation or tactics once you notice a problem area during the match, which would be tough for someone new to the sport.

I would strongly recommend reading Inverting the Pyramid by Johnathon Wilson, for someone trying to get into that sort of thing. It's mostly a history of football tactics, but it also serves as a great primer for understanding why certain formations are advantageous against others, and why certain tactics rose to dominance, then eventually became obsolete.

If you just wanted to enjoy the long-term sports management aspect of it, you could go out and download pre-made tactics and training regimes, which would simplify that part of the game greatly.

Well, except you can buy Cut The Rope and Angry Birds for PC as well :)

But yeah, I see what you're saying. PC-Only seems somewhat silly when it'd work for every single system imagineable.

It wasn't even that I thought it was silly. It's just that it's uncommon. The kind of person who makes an indie game for PC (as opposed to making a mobile game and porting it later) in 2012 usually isn't the sort of person who makes this game, but several years ago, it absolutely was. I found the contrast interesting.

karobit

I was so deliriously pleased at the Frank Grimes-ing of Sean to Jake's Homer Simpson in that story about the Spelunky co-op.

Ceebs

I think someone without a good base of knowledge in Football would have a rough time playing Football Manager. A big part of the game is making mid-game adjustments to your formation or tactics once you notice a problem area during the match, which would be tough for someone new to the sport.

I would strongly recommend reading Inverting the Pyramid by Johnathon Wilson, for someone trying to get into that sort of thing. It's mostly a history of football tactics, but it also serves as a great primer for understanding why certain formations are advantageous against others, and why certain tactics rose to dominance, then eventually became obsolete.

If you just wanted to enjoy the long-term sports management aspect of it, you could go out and download pre-made tactics and training regimes, which would simplify that part of the game greatly.

Same concept applies to American Football, even more so at the college level. It's always a game of offenses doing something new and defenses having to adapt to it. What makes the college game more interesting is that there are teams that are clearly mismatched in terms of talent, so they rely on nontraditional or new offenses that teams do not see very often giving them a better shot at winning since there generally only a week of prep time between games.

The strategy element of the sport is why a ton of people love the game. The stop and go style of play which is often a criticism, leads to even more strategy as you have the time to consider and deploy any one of your hundreds of plays at any time. The breaks in play give the fans time to process everything going on during the last play as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's cool, also I'm going to be making amendments to The Mona Lisa

Jake

it's cool, also I'm going to be making amendments to The Mona Lisa

The actual end result is hopefully going to still be as annoying and weird as any other Idle Thumbs naming thing. "Idle Thumbs 51: The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 1: THE GREAT GATLING GUNSBY" and the always classic "Idle Thumbs 64: Idle Thumbs 51: Burnin Down The Wolfman"

Those probably won't be the actual names listed in the RSS, but we may as well consider them canonical just because it's horrible.

Jake called the new Oliver Twist comic made by Gary Whitta. Now I'm going to be disappointed if Oliver doesn't say, "You want some more?"
When was that called out?

The actual end result is hopefully going to still be as annoying and weird as any other Idle Thumbs naming thing. "Idle Thumbs 51: The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 1: THE GREAT GATLING GUNSBY" and the always classic "Idle Thumbs 64: Idle Thumbs 51: Burnin Down The Wolfman"

Those probably won't be the actual names listed in the RSS, but we may as well consider them canonical just because it's horrible.

This is actually already all complete on the RSS feed and on http://www.idlethumbs.net/archive/ -- on the archive page The Idle Thumbs Podcast no longer exists.

Those two episodes are named, respectively, Idle Thumbs 51: THE GREAT GATLING-GUNSBY and Idle Thumbs 64: Fifty-One: Burnin' Down the Wolfman.

fallout

We considered pretty much every imaginable possibility for what the new series would be called (seriously). We eventually just decided pretty much all of them were pointlessly unintuitive.
Hearing Jake stumble through the intro all the time isn't pointless!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It drives me insane that the iOS twitch apps are live feed only. Everytime I try to watch an already recorded episode of idle thumbs the channel disappears. It just phases in and out of existence and if you miss it, you miss it.

Top Bottom