• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Do I really need to start from the beginning? I was thinking of starting off when they do. I know i won't get all the chemistry, but I imagine after a few it will make sense.

It's not about chemistry or making sense.

It's about laughing your ass off and hearing some really smart discussion on game design.

...and laughing your ass off.

It's not about chemistry or making sense.

It's about laughing your ass off and hearing some really smart discussion on game design.

...and laughing your ass off.

Oh no I agree. That's why i love GB and tested crew. I just am not GREATLY interested in hearing discussion about older "current events" topics.

Oh no I agree. That's why i love GB and tested crew. I just am not GREATLY interested in hearing discussion about older "current events" topics.

The truth of it is that they are usually pretty behind regarding "current events". They will put you onto some great games that you might not know about and those guys have made me laugh out loud more consistently than Giant Bomb ever has. (And I really enjoy the bombcast)

Start with The Great Gatling Gunsby (Feb 12th, 2010) and move forward from there. There's actually not that many to listen to and they are super-enjoyable.

If not...you can punch me right in the mouth.

The truth of it is that they are usually pretty behind regarding "current events". They will put you onto some great games that you might not know about and those guys have made me laugh out loud more consistently than Giant Bomb ever has. (And I really enjoy the bombcast)

Start with The Great Gatling Gunsby (Feb 12th, 2010) and move forward from there. There's actually not that many to listen to and they are super-enjoyable.

If not...you can punch me right in the mouth.

I'm going to hold you to that! Is everything before that rough?

Aaron

I've been listening to the series again in reverse order. 'Up' to 18 and still funny and very easy to listen to.

Shaneus

I've just had an idea: With this new individual channel thing (for separate mics), the guys could release the cast as three individual tracks (or as a multitrack MP3, if there is such a thing) so that if we get completely sick of, say, Chris (totally random pick... honest!) we could mute him and just listen to Jake and Sean talk with occasional extended gaps of silence.

Okay, maybe not.

PS. That reminds me. I need to play Civ. *A* Civ. I own 4 and 5 but have played neither (nor any before them). I suck.

sixghost

I wonder how much knowledge of cycling is needed to play that Cycling Manager game. Trying to play Football Manager without some tactical knowledge of the sport would be a nightmare.

Jintor

I think they just sold me on the Civ V expansion. Brought back memories of me playing Civ V for hours at a time.

I was sort of thinking about how Civ stories are only really interesting because of the associations we feel with history; if Civ empires, cultures, religions etc were named generic fantasy crap these kinds of tales might not be nearly as interesting. It's kind of like a prior knowledge base you can assume all (well, most) listeners to be able to draw upon, instead of having to hope that they're an expert in Azerothian lore or whatever.

I hope they do more postcard casts.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Was hoping that old timely telephone was nick. They should randomly have nick call an old timey telephone to make a quick point or something. I like to imagine nick is constantly listening in on Skype unable to chime in.

Kinda bummed you didn't seem to enjoy Moonrise Kingdom that much.

I agree, it needed one or two moments where the fantasy was peeled back to see the true emotions, but I also think there were several already (like when Sam laughs at her for her parents buying the "how to deal with a disturbed child" book.) But I also found myself just caught up in the whimsy of it all and enjoyed it for that alone.

trw

After that, I think I REALLY need to play one of the Civ games I have. 4 or 5, gents?

4 is the better one but 5 has better ui. If you are interested in the more storytelling emergent gameplay of civ games 4 is a lot better since it has more robust systems and interactions between them so it has more potential of funny stories happening but 5 is a good game on it's own as well.

Shaneus

Awesome, guess I'll start off with 4 then! Then if, for whatever reason, I feel it's missing something I can move on. But I doubt that would happen for a long time, if at all (by the sounds of things).

Empty

i think i'm going to get civ iv - i'd get the sequel for the expansion stuff but there's no chance of it running on my macbook - as the civ chat has me so curious that i have to at least give the series a try. i should probably wait a few days for the steam summer sale before jumping though, right?

loved the last progress cast btw. keep them coming.

FStop7

Banned
So GAF. I have been looking for a gaming podcast to compliment the giantbomb cast. Is this it?

Never listened to them before.

Yes. It's much deeper than the Bombcast in terms of discussing game mechanics and design philosophies, and yet it's just as irreverent with the hilarious in jokes and memes. The Phaedrus stuff is so good.

Great progress cast. Looks like I will be buying Civ V in the next week. Damn you Idle Thumbs and your ability to make so many games sound incredible. I enjoyed Civ Rev but never got the hang of Civ III back in the day. Maybe V will be the perfect fit.

Also, good call on the Three Moves Ahead cast about Formula 1. Made me so happy to hear people talk about my most beloved sport and games in such an insightful manner. I vote Thumbs goes for football or cycling manager.

Shaneus

Also, good call on the Three Moves Ahead cast about Formula 1. Made me so happy to hear people talk about my most beloved sport and games in such an insightful manner. I vote Thumbs goes for football or cycling manager.
Agreed. Actually got me to dig it out again (from the Steam library) and fight to get it working properly again.

That fight, I won :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to warm up to 3MA it's absolutely fascinating but doesn't really have a lot of color. It was nice having Jeff Green on, but I still have never played a strategy game. Maybe once I complete my sweet new gaming rig I'll give civ and Starcraft a shot.

I LOVE the Saturday streams. It's so nostalgic. Saturday morning video games!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The people were upset because we were losing money.
We were losing money because the people were upset.
It began to spiral uncontrollably.

This election year political message is brought to you by CiV.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jake and Sean were on the latest Game Life podcast.

Shaneus

Dude who did 30 Flights.

Fuck Nick.

Steve Gaynor.

J Allard.

Maybe (given Chris' and my boner for Star Control 2) the Toys for Bob guys? I doubt they'd be in massive demand media-wise. I'd love to hear them talk (as much as they would, I'm sure) about something that isn't Skylanders.

Jintor

We're on the last leg of our journey! Maybe soon we'll never have to hear any more goddamn bitching about taking our money and not giving it back

Top Bottom