• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If a game is released as Freeware but is no longer available for download. Is it still legally considered freeware?

Kadve

No this is not the gaming version of "trees falling in the forest", its a genuine question that struck me recently while reading the wiki article for S.W.I.N.E. if anyone remembers that game.

It states that StormRegion made it available for free on their website during 2005 for whatever reason. But booth them and their website is long gone and the IP is now owned by different people but would that mean the original game is still freeware? Or is just considered "Abandonware" which legally, off course doesn't exist.

Same thing as say, Area 51 which was available as freeware through that US air force collaboration which also is long gone from said website.

JimboJones

I think so? Probably just one of those cases where if no party objects to it being distributed then it just essentially remains freeware and falls into the abandonware category.
Might potentially change one day if someone claims rights over it I guess.

Kdad

STormRegion made it available for free....did they actually change it to 'freeware' though? Many companies will make their games available for free after a period of time....doesn't make them freeware though. You mention someone owns the IP...I'd assume they own the ability to control the distribution of the OG game then too no?

Hudo

It's technically abandonware, which is a gray area. But if it was officially released as freeware back by the developers or the publisher, then it shouldn't get you in trouble either way.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wonder if there's a place in which those games are available or if someone would be interested in making one, in a legal way ofc.

Games like Heretic II or the original Prey might be lost to the general public, and it'll be a shame because they are very good games.

Guilty_AI

Wonder if there's a place in which those games are available or if someone would be interested in making one, in a legal way ofc.

Games like Heretic II or the original Prey might be lost to the general public, and it'll be a shame because they are very good games.
There are a bunch of abandonware sites which aren't hard to find.

Kadve

Not sure if i should link to it, but yes there are sites collecting "Abandonware" titles for download.

Top Bottom