• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Blizzard created a Pride Event for Overwatch during Pride Month...

Absolutely zero interest in seeing this happen. I love the fact that one of the characters is gay, but Tracer's story happened where it should: outside of the game.

Sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, real-world country issues, those things and more should be kept out of the game, because they have no place. As one of the best-known Pharmercy supporters around here, I don't even know that I'd ever want a relationship between them actually given exposure in the game. I don't want any characters having their romantic lives involved in the game, unless there's good reason that it's relevant, because it's not relevant.

The most I'd want along these lines are maybe a wink-nod voice line, or sprays that could be used in cute ways by players if that's what they want. And if you want to have LGBT characters, awesome, but don't make that their MAIN identity in the game, and don't put "pride" stuff onto characters that have nothing to do with the gay/lesbian/trans/etc community.

Not so subtle homophobia here. The sexuality of a character is a completely valid and important part of it, just as much as how it looks, acts, or interacts with others. Your paragraphs just read as someone who would be bothered with an event celebrating diversity on a game known for it on the cast it presents, and for no valid reason.

And yeah, politics and all those "real world issues" are unavoidable, developers are artists and could make difference with their craft, specially in times like these where hate and assaults against different races, sexualities or cultures are being legitimized as valid points of view.

mollipen

Diversity is in overwatch's DNA. The entire development team has made a concerted effort to represent different races, backgrounds, even body types (Zarya and Mei in response to criticism). There is no reason to arbitrarily decide that LGBT diversity has no place in the game.

I love diversity in games (and all media), and part of the reason I love Overwatch so much is because of the game's diversity.

But it can have LGBT characters without having to have an event and costume roster entirely focused on "pride" ideas that aren't even representative of the entire LGBT community. And, if such an even was created, you'd need to then have a Christianity event, an Islam event, a Native American event, a Jewish event, a Vegetarian event, a Black History (as mentioned) event, so on and so on—because why does your sexuality/gender identity earn you an event in the game when similar-level aspects of other people's lives don't?

Not so subtle homophobia here.

I'm both a lesbian and transgender. If you want to still make that claim against me though, go right ahead.

kewlmyc

I want this, though part of it is just to see the shitstorm it would bring.

Also, how is homosexuality treated in some of the other countries where this game is popular? Didn't one country ban the comic that featured Tracer kissing Emily?

I love diversity in games (and all media), and part of the reason I love Overwatch so much is because of the game's diversity.

But it can have LGBT characters without having to have an event and costume roster entirely focused on "pride" ideas that aren't even representative of the entire LGBT community. And, if such an even was created, you'd need to then have a Christianity event, an Islam event, a Native American event, a Jewish event, a Vegetarian event, a Black History (as mentioned) event, so on and so on—because why does your sexuality/gender identity earn you an event in the game when similar-level aspects of other people's lives don't?

I'm both a lesbian and transgender. If you want to still make that claim against me though, go right ahead.
They literally just had a Christianity event.

mollipen

They literally just had a Christianity event.

No, they had a Winter Holiday event, which wasn't even specially themed around Christmas, which isn't even an exclusively Christian holiday at this point (and hasn't been since at least I was born). And can you point out all of the Christian-specific sprays, outfits, and voice lines the event provided?

No, they had a Winter Holiday event, which wasn't even specially themed around Christmas, which isn't even an exclusively Christian holiday at this point (and hasn't been since at least I was born). And can you point out all of the Christian-specific sprays, outfits, and voice lines the event provided?
I can point out that the menu screen was plastered with four characters wearing Santa hats and standing in front of a Christmas tree.

All western, Christian presentations of Christmas.

you'd need to then have a Christianity event, an Islam event, a Native American event, a Jewish event, a Vegetarian event, a Black History (as mentioned) event, so on and so on—.

In this instance the idea is to celebrate Pride Day with an event, so it would be more like getting events for Passover (though Purim would be way more fun), Ramadan, and Black History month than trying to cover every group someone identifies with. There's not really a culture to celebrate with Vegetarians. We already have had a Christmas event to cover Christianity.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never really expected this kind of derail in this particular fashion.

mollipen

In this instance the idea is to celebrate Pride Day with an event, so it would be more like getting events for Passover (though Purim would be way more fun), Ramadan, and Black History month than trying to cover every group someone identifies with. There's not really a culture to celebrate with Vegetarians. We already have had a Christmas event to cover Christianity.

Well, as you can see above, I don't agree on the Winter Holiday event being Christian, but yeah, obviously the other events would be more tied to specific traditions/events in those cultures than just generically the culture themselves.

The point still remains that if you're going to do it for one group, it's only right to do it for many. You do that—and have that be players want—and I'm fine with a Pride event.

Platy

Also, this pride idea is too LGBT

We need some Ellen Degeneres, Marlene Dietrich, Janet Mock, Chaz Bono, Angelina Jolie ...

That is not a free pass for neither homophobia, sexism or transphobia. Everyone can reproduce prejudices, not mattering how they look, feel or like.

ZehDon

Gold Member
zGHQb4O.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like the basic idea here...but giving characters flamboyant outfits to celebrate pride? It feels kinda tacky to me. I like what Blizzard has already done with Tracer. She's gay, but she isn't a blatant stereotype or defined solely by her sexuality. That's more interesting to me.

That being said I would spend vast amounts of real life money to unlock all of those costumes.

MartyStu

I mean, it would be cool. I fully support Blizzard doing as many events as they fucking want.

Although it is almost guaranteed that they would want to do the 'fun' holidays. So no Black History, or Veterans, Columbus (ugh), Presidents etc.

That said, if that is what they want to do, then I fully support that as well. They are not obligated to follow any pattern other than their whims. And we should not demand or expect anything.

mollipen

That is not a free pass for neither homophobia, sexism or transphobia. Everyone can reproduce prejudices, not mattering how they look, feel or like.

And simply disagreeing with an idea centered around the LGBT community isn't a free pass to throw out "*phobia" accusations.

Platy

And simply disagreeing with an idea centered around the LGBT community isn't a free pass to throw out "*phobia" accusations.

There are characters that imply heterosexual relationships in lines ... why not characters who imply homosexual relationships or trans stuff ?

Being ok with heterosexual stuff but not ok with homosexual have a name that ends with ...

Why not just have all the presumed characters wear some kind of fancy clothes with some special Pride related design flair? Tracer in a tux or something.
Roadhog, Junkrat and Hanzo in something nice too

That's never gonna happen when countries like Russia are playing.

Also I know the event would be good will, but I guarentee it would cause way more toxic behaviour from the community ingame. If people are using LGBT stuff there is gonna be way more hate speech, heck the Tracer Lesbian stuff wasn't even in game and I heard all sorts of terrible shit directed at Tracer players.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel those characterchures being attributed to LGBT people is really damn insulting towards that group, like you are saying they aren't normal people.

I feel those characterchures being attributed to LGBT people is really damn insulting towards that group, like you are saying they aren't normal people.

This. I really don't think I like the idea of "LGBT+ people wear ridiculous flamboyant costumes"

Hence my suggestion up above.

mollipen

There are characters that imply heterosexual relationships in lines ... why not characters who imply homosexual relationships or trans stuff ?

But there really aren't, at least that I can think of off the top of my head. (And don't even bring in that Mercy/Genji nonsense!) Anyone feel free to correct me.

And if it's just voice lines, I don't really have a problem with that. Like if Tracer had a line such as "Ah, Emily would love this, I should buy her one" if she sees something in the start room, or "I can't wait to get home and see Emily again" or so on, awesome! Integrating it naturally into the conversations that come up I take zero issue with. The other characters don't express their sexuality beyond that, though, and that's part of the reason that the shipping community grew into the chaos that it is—because we don't know details like that through the game. That's part of why Tracer's reveal felt as special (but surprising) as it did. We also know Torb is obviously heterosexual (or potentially bi), and Ana likely (but not certainly) had sex with a guy at some point, but not too much beyond that.

It doesn't need to be an entire event, that's what I'm saying.

This is another reason I'm against the idea (plus Platy's comment about the focus of the ideas). Not because I'm homophobic or whatever, but because I feel kind of annoyed by all of this being touted as being "my" representation (as selfish as that may or may not be).

This would be an amazing idea. They could use Lootbox money to donate to LGBTQ charities (because Trump).

But the forums would be set ablaze. They were threatened with a shoot up after adding the new Iraq stage, what the fuck would they do with this?
Still want to see Blizzard not giving a shit.

N7.Angel

Absolutely zero interest in seeing this happen. I love the fact that one of the characters is gay, but Tracer's story happened where it should: outside of the game.

Sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, real-world country issues, those things and more should be kept out of the game, because they have no place. As one of the best-known Pharmercy supporters around here, I don't even know that I'd ever want a relationship between them actually given exposure in the game. I don't want any characters having their romantic lives involved in the game, unless there's good reason that it's relevant, because it's not relevant.

The most I'd want along these lines are maybe a wink-nod voice line, or sprays that could be used in cute ways by players if that's what they want. And if you want to have LGBT characters, awesome, but don't make that their MAIN identity in the game, and don't put "pride" stuff onto characters that have nothing to do with the gay/lesbian/trans/etc community.

Sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, real-world country issues, those things and more should be kept out of the game, because they have no place.

I disagree. I think one of the things that makes Overwatch an appealing game is the inclusion of characters from many different ethnicities / countries, races, ages, just identities in general.

To be sure, I don't want to see a game like Overwatch trying to make an overt political statement. But I think there's value in a game which celebrates diversity - after all, entertainment reflects our lives and the world we live in. No movie, book, video game, or TV show exists in a vacuum from the real world. I don't think it's "irrelevant" if a game is in touch with the reality of our world.

mollipen

I disagree. I think one of the things that makes Overwatch an appealing game is the inclusion of characters from many different ethnicities / countries, races, ages, just identities in general.

To be sure, I don't want to see a game like Overwatch trying to make an overt political statement. But I think there's value in a game which celebrates diversity - after all, entertainment reflects our lives and the world we live in. No movie, book, video game, or TV show exists in a vacuum from the real world. I don't think it's "irrelevant" if a game is in touch with the reality of our world.

Well, just to be clear here, I'm not saying I don't want characters of those diversities in the game—I'm just saying I don't think a game like Overwatch is the right place to express those things or make statements on any kind of major level. I mean, beyond the statement of a wide array of people from all kinds of backgrounds, nationalities, sexualities, species, politics, and whatever else coming together for the greater good.

I think my statement that you quoted came off sounding a bit harsher than I intended it to. But I kind of appreciate that Overwatch is a game where I can have a cool, diverse selection of characters, and then escape from reality into its fantasy world where the most important part of a person's character is if they know how to push a payload or not.

Cynar

I support pride and I think a skin for tracer would be awesome and some sprays but a full on event? No thanks. Just like I wouldn't want a Canada day event, July 4th event, any other event like that. Stick to the classics.

Top Bottom