• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If exclusives are counter to what gaming is about; is the PS5 getting future Bethesda games (after Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo)? Poll inside!

Will future Bethesda games (after Deathloop and Ghostwire) release on the Playstation platform?

• Total voters
All he meant was games will come to PC, a platform dominated by Microsoft's Windows platform and many of the games only being accessible via Windows store or XBOX Gamepass for PC. So... he kinda meant nothing.

I've said in another thread already but take Hellblade's example where it was on PS4 first before Ninja Theory's acquisition and the sequel is console exclusive. Why would it be different with the new studios?
How much did they spend on Ninja Theory? The more you spend, the bigger the pressure to recoup your investment.

I can't help but feel like MS overpaid when they put down 7.5 billion for Zenimax. Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 were a disappointment and a disaster respectively, and most of the other games they published sold below expectations despite good reviews, and that's with them being available on PS4, a console with twice the install base of Xbox. If they keep new games exclusive they will not be cheaper to develop, but their audience and number of potential buyers will be much smaller due to Sony being out of the picture. I can see them releasing games like TES on PS5 eventually (although probably with a significant delay) just to make their money back.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If/when PS5 sells 2-3:1 vs xbox, are they willing to lose millions of customers?

Xbox+pc is bigger user base, but on consoles it is like they would give away 60-80% of their sales.

If they do business for money, they have only timed exclusives

fyRF.gif

thelastword

Banned
Well we know Phil is not the most honest, the king of 180's. But after their contractual obligations with Ghostwire and Deathloop, I expect MS to clutch all the newly acquired IP's as exclusive.....Doom Eternal and ports of Doom 2016, if they already have a remake of Prey and Evil Within in the works it should make it's way on PS....

Orky

Banned
If Sony allows Game Pass on the PS5 without taking a 30% cut then MS would do it. They might even sell the standalone games on PS5 as a way to promote Game Pass, just like they do on Steam. But I don't see Sony and MS coming to an agreement on this anytime soon.

dude. They didn’t even allow ea access back then. They will NEVER allow game pass. NEVER.

Fox Mulder

I don’t see MS big dick dropping 7.5 billion dollars to keep all those games multi platform.

They want Xbox and gamepass to look better.

Starfield

Buy gamepass and play fucking Starfield on your phone if you're concerned about having to buy new equipment. That's what gamepass and xcloud is about.

Fortunately there is a product for you if you don't have access to an internet connection, it's called, real life.

Gandih42

I doubt they'll be putting much of Bethesdas IP out on PS in the future. Perhaps games currently in development or smaller games that are unlikely to draw people into the Xbox ecosystem. It just seems like a much more long sighted plan to keep their newly acquired strong IPs such as Fallout and Elder Scrolls on PC/Xbox, unless the Series X flops horribly (which I personally don't see happening).

I'd be sad to not play ES6 on a PS5 but I'm hopeful Microsoft will be stronger next-gen to give Sony more competition. I don't really care about whatever PR speak Phil Spencer says, seeing what actions Microsoft takes is what I'm looking forward to.

Achillias

You have to buy a Xbox if you want to play those games. Don't be delusional, otherwise release Gran Turismo 7 on the Xbox platform as well. But that won't happen. Same for you Playstation fans, you won't be playing new titles from that studio anymore on your console. From now on its Xbox console exclusive. And if you want to play it then buy it on pc.

Last edited:

sixamp

It's truly amazing how this acquisition affected people. I mean it's post after post about phil lies, it's not fair, things need to change blah blah. A big company bought another company to service their platform 🤷🏻‍♂️. Buying exclusives suck but buying the company that makes the exclusives is investing in your future. There's a difference so I don't think phil lies or is a sith Lord

Drewpee

Banned
To preface lets bring forth the words of wise salesman Phil Spencer when discussing exclusive games and exclusivity in general:

"It's completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy a specific device"

Further:

“As a player you are the centre of our strategy,” Spencer said. “Our device is not the centre of our strategy, our game is not the centre of the strategy. We want to enable you to play the games you want to play, with the friends you want to play with, on any device.

“On TV, the Xbox console is going to be the best way to play console games. Xbox Series X is the most powerful console out there and it will have absolutely the best versions of our console games. But that’s not to exclude other people from being able to play.

“Sorry, I am a bit soapboxy with this one. Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.”

With that clear philosophical stance in mind do you think; after Deathloop (A PS5 Console timed exclusive), and Ghostwire Tokyo (a PS5 Console timed exclusive) that future Bethesda games will release on the PS5? Games like the rumored Starfield, a future Doom, Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout?

Was Phil simply BSing and lying trying to buy his time by sweet talking his base?
Will Phil hold true to his word and release the games on all systems?
Will Phil do what's counter to what gaming is about and make those future titles Gamepass exclusives?

Interesting to see what the future will hold. What do you think?

For the Sony fans not coping well....... you can at least take consolation, for the time being, in the fact that you'll get to enjoy the next two Bethesda titles, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo first over any other console. After that well..... betting odds say you shouldn't bet on Phil Spencer's words.... but no one will blame you for holding out on 1/250 odds - never impossible - just improbable.

This article really caught my attention in the mist of the opinion chaos.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/i...bethesda-isnt-about-exclusivity/1100-6482479/

I hope the games come to Playstation and Sony gamers have a chance to play them as well but let's be clear about something; if Sony bought Bethesda this wouldnt even be a conversation, Sony wouldn't share the games and their fans wouldn't want them too.

If the new MGS remake is true, how many on here are going to push for it to not be a Sony exclusive?

Last edited:
I am sorry OP, but both the Boss of microsoft and the Boss of xbox, they clearly stated that these are INVESTMENTS THAT AIM TO ENHANCE THE CONTENT OF THEIR PLATFORM.

You should just feel good that microsoft is still letting the time exclusivity deal for the two games on ps5, then just forget about any of the big bethesda games coming to playstation.
Games that are online gaas games, like elder scrolls online, sure. anything more than that, I really don't see it happening.

Bryank75

Banned
I am sorry OP, but both the Boss of microsoft and the Boss of xbox, they clearly stated that these are INVESTMENTS THAT AIM TO ENHANCE THE CONTENT OF THEIR PLATFORM.

You should just feel good that microsoft is still letting the time exclusivity deal for the two games on ps5, then just forget about any of the big bethesda games coming to playstation.
Games that are online gaas games, like elder scrolls online, sure. anything more than that, I really don't see it happening.
How does it enhance, when those games were always going to be on Xbox?

Phil Spencer NEVER said that he will release games on the PlayStation platform!!!

What he meant was XBox, PC and Mobile Phones (xCloud). And every device where Game Pass is on.

There will be a few exceptions for Nintendo platforms because of the good relationship and because Nintendo is not Microsoft's direct competitor, but Microsoft will not release further games on PlayStation until Sony allows Game Pass on their PlayStation platform.

These false informed Threads where OP's try to spin words to let good persons like Phil Spencer look like a liar and with 0 Minutes of research is a new low even for NeoGaf!!!

I fully expect after contract obligations, Bethesda games will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

If Bethesda is important to you, buy a PC or Xbox. After the announcement I bit the bullet and preordered the Series X for Bethesda games as I dont PC game much.

A lot of salty people, adapt. At least PC is an option for Xbox owned IP.

I fully expect after contract obligations, Bethesda games will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

If Bethesda is important to you, buy a PC or Xbox. After the announcement I bit the bullet and preordered the Series X for Bethesda games as I dont PC game much.

A lot of salty people, adapt. At least PC is an option for Xbox owned IP.

Oh hellz yeah now I have a real reason to buy a Series X, can't wait to own one post getting a PS5 on launch day. I always wanted to own more than one console and perhaps next gen might finally allow me to do it. Fingers crossed on seeing life head towards better financial improvements!

Leyasu

Banned

In a subscription service, content is king. Microsoft knows this. They are getting themselves into a position where
A, they don’t have to rely heavily on third parties

B, I f someone else throws their hat into the sub service market, Microsoft will be far ahead of them , thus making the entry fee to prohibitive.

Bryank75

Banned
In a subscription service, content is king. Microsoft knows this. They are getting themselves into a position where
A, they don’t have to rely heavily on third parties

B, I f someone else throws their hat into the sub service market, Microsoft will be far ahead of them , thus making the entry fee to prohibitive.
Could have made a contract for that...

brian0057

Banned
I mean... the Switch is getting XBOX games so why wouldn't they also come to PlayStation?
It's also hard to call a game "exclusive" when it also releases on PC.

quest

Not Banned from OT
When? Sony was money hatting every zenimax game one by one. If Phil thinks about releasing starfield on playstation he will be eaten alive by his warriors. Sony went after starfield and it would of been money hat 3. So maybe Microsoft gamers get these but years later and have a dead content starved platform from Sony going way over the top on money hats.

Drewpee

Banned

This just made me Lol, I have used this EXACT argument when explaining how Sony pushing for exclusivity with games like FF16 is an issue. Sony was trying to do the same with Bethesda games and has two timed exclusives coming out as a result.

I dont see many Sony fans coming out against the exclusivity practice. It is the same action Microsoft took, but Microsoft can play the game in ways Sony can only dream of. I think this should be a lesson for Sony about who they are really competing with.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
This just made me Lol, I have used this EXACT argument when explaining how Sony pushing for exclusivity with games like FF16 is an issue. Sony was trying to do the same with Bethesda games and has two timed exclusives coming out as a result.

I dont see many Sony fans coming out against the exclusivity practice. It is the same action Microsoft took, but Microsoft can play the game in ways Sony can only dream of. I think this should be a lesson for Sony about who they are really competing with.
It's costing them billions to compete. To even try and catch up....

What if Sony buys a building near Bethesda and just offers better salaries and jobs? and drains them dry for a fraction of the money?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
It's costing them billions to compete. To even try and catch up....

What if Sony buys a building near Bethesda and just offers better salaries and jobs? and drains them dry for a fraction of the money?
You need to drop the war mentality at the door.

Phil wasn’t lying when he said they are not rivals.

Microsoft are planning to be the platform with THE subscription service, that’s almost fully stocked with 1st party.

They need lots of quality content , and they are going to get it. They ain’t even looking at Sony this gen. They are getting their pieces in place and are seeing how much more they need to be self sufficient and getting all the monies for themselves.

They are moving in a different direction to Sony and Nintendo. Once people realize that, then the stupid console warring can hopefully stop to

As well, you are embarrassing yourself now. Just let it go

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You need to drop the war mentality at the door.

Phil wasn’t lying when he said they are not rivals.

Microsoft are planning to be the platform with THE subscription service, that’s almost fully stocked with 1st party.

They need lots of quality content , and they are going to get it. They ain’t even looking at Sony this gen. They are getting their pieces in place and are seeing how much more they need to be self sufficient and getting all the monies for themselves.

They are moving in a different direction to Sony and Nintendo. Once people realize that, then the stupid console warring can hopefully stop to

As well, you are embarrassing yourself now. Just let it go
As long as they are making consoles, they are rivals. As long as they are pulling content from PS, they show that they consider themselves as rivals.

Top Bottom