• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony doesn't report a decrease in subscribers for PS+, people are crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCU005

This increase in price for PS Plus is insane and ridiculous. Arrogant Sony is back in full force and they really want to remove any good will they got from PS4 gen.

But what is even more upsetting is that companies tend to do this crazy price hikes only to report that they increase sales by record numbers!

Netflix announced that they were going to increase prices (for like the third time in a year) AND remove password sharing, and the next thing that happens is that they report they had a substantial increase in new subscribers!

Cars are increasing in price by more than 35% a year, but you see companies saying they break sales records!

Why are people like that? Everyone complains about price hikes, but then go a buy the product anyway!

This time, Sony should completely lose subscribers and their renews should tank! There is no way people will get a $160 premium subscription right?

Sony and Microsoft are truly believing that people will pay whatever they want for their products and services. This generation has been the worst for PlayStation. They might be having great sales, but this gen feels empty and boring. No exclusive PS5 games (everything is cross-gen), 3 years in, there is no game that truly showcases PS5 power, Sony hasn't announced anything this generation. Most of their games are sequels and games they announced mostly before launch. Focus on worthless products (as great as they could be like PS VR, but completely unnecessary).

Anyway, like the title say, people are crazy if they give Sony a record-breaking subscribed users (or renewed) for PS+ after this ripoff if price increase.

graywolf323

you might have a point if you didn’t go down a bit of a crazy rabbit hole there OP, for one as you point out EVERY company does this (I bet the Switch online service sees a price hike with the next gen hardware too)

also several of your points about this gen aren’t even correct, there’s been plenty of PS5 exclusives 🤷🏼‍♂️ and we’ve had some amazing games release this gen including Baldur’s Gate 3

there’s a difference between some stuff not being up your alley and everything being crap

supernova8

Banned
This increase in price for PS Plus is insane and ridiculous. Arrogant Sony is back in full force and they really want to remove any good will they got from PS4 gen.

But what is even more upsetting is that companies tend to do this crazy price hikes only to report that they increase sales by record numbers!

Netflix announced that they were going to increase prices (for like the third time in a year) AND remove password sharing, and the next thing that happens is that they report they had a substantial increase in new subscribers!

Cars are increasing in price by more than 35% a year, but you see companies saying they break sales records!

Why are people like that? Everyone complains about price hikes, but then go a buy the product anyway!

This time, Sony should completely lose subscribers and their renews should tank! There is no way people will get a $160 premium subscription right?

Sony and Microsoft are truly believing that people will pay whatever they want for their products and services. This generation has been the worst for PlayStation. They might be having great sales, but this gen feels empty and boring. No exclusive PS5 games (everything is cross-gen), 3 years in, there is no game that truly showcases PS5 power, Sony hasn't announced anything this generation. Most of their games are sequels and games they announced mostly before launch. Focus on worthless products (as great as they could be like PS VR, but completely unnecessary).

Anyway, like the title say, people are crazy if they give Sony a record-breaking subscribed users (or renewed) for PS+ after this ripoff if price increase.
didn't really need a whole new OP to write this wall of text

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
why would you be surprised if the amount of subscribers did not decrease after the price hike?

take a look at starbucks, apple products, MTX.....

People are willing to spend, they dont give a shit

ByWatterson

I can't keep track anymore. Is it evil corporations or dumbass consumers that have us over a barrel?

Whom am I supposed to hate?

Let me know the directionality of my performative unhappiness.

Last edited:

Aenima

Hypothetical:
- New State of Play end of September
- Decent First party showing
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out
- EA Play and Ubisoft+ part of the Premium and Extra Tiers
- Day 1 releases of 1st Party on PS5 and PC

What now? Still too expensive?
Ubisoft+ is already kinda part of the PS+ Extra. Not in the same format as Ubisoft has it but pretty much all Ubisoft+ games has already been added to PS+ Extra.
Day 1 1st party releases on subscriptions is not sustainable, and day 1 on PC is a good way to kill the console business.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You’re going to be terribly disappointed. Most of the people who are outraged at this increment are trolls and the loud minority. those who said they are canceling, usually don’t cancel and even if they did, they will return after a month or two.

They have record breaking hardware sales. The silent majority of the fanbase will be more than willing to continue subscribing.

[Sigma]

I don't think they will lose much if they do and they banking on that. With the slow of new subs, I think this seems to be aimed at the person who is already subscribed too. Not just new subs. So even if they don't get any significant bump in subscriptions in the near future, they'll still bring in more money from a renew because they jacked up the prices. That unless they start losing a lot more subs that aren't willing to re-sub which I don't anticipate.

Last edited:
I'm not high. I promise.
Ok BD
GQj15t3.png

So saturation of subs reached from their existing console base and said "fuck it" increase the prices to inflate revenue/profits from existing customers. How fun.

EDIT: Also Australian prices have seen pretty drastic increases -
  • PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
    $95.95 AUD (was $79.95 AUD)
  • PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
    $169.95 AUD (was $134.95 AUD)
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe 12-Month Subscription
    $196.95 AUD (was $154.95 AUD)

Source

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They will but they will increase revenue so in the end they still win. They have maxed out market penetration so now they are trying to extract as much value as possible from the existing customers. It’s a fairly normal Practice but can cause issues later on if not handled right and imo they are not handling it right.

bitbydeath

So saturation of subs reached from their existing console base and said "fuck it" increase the prices to inflate revenue/profits from existing customers. How fun.

Source
Not as bad as I was thinking actually. Was expecting $200+ (for Extra) given the jumps seen on the others…

Still Sony bad!
Edit: Hopefully they update it with something decent like their entire TV/movie catalog.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Source
Roughly converting the new pricing for Canada would be:

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
$109.99 (was $69.99)
PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
$184.99 (was $114.99)
PlayStation Plus Deluxe 12-Month Subscription
Premium $219.99 (was $139.99)

All these plus 13% tax. 0 chance I pay these prices.

Justin9mm

Most people want what they don't already have, especially when other people already have it. Everyone is keeping up appearances (so to speak) even if they don't realise it. Social and digital media is to blame. This is how it is happening. World has gone mad.

Perrott

Gold Member
Not as bad as I was thinking actually. Was expecting $200+ (for Extra) given the jumps seen on the others…

Still Sony bad!
Edit: Hopefully they update it with something decent like their entire TV/movie catalog.
There are reports making the rounds about them working on a new PS2 emulator, and I remember Grubb saying I think last year that they were also trying to make PS3 emulation work as well.

I could see all that work resulting in an expanded classics catalogue for the Premium tier over the next few years.

Still, it wouldn't seem like a good deal to me. Its better to just purchase the stuff that interests you on sales from the Store and keep it forever with the US$160 budget that the higher tier costs.

bitbydeath

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

Maybe we’re about to find out why Sony made that deal with Microsoft. 😛

Sushi_Combo

They haven't showed any meaningful value for me to bother upgrading. Glad I was able to stack a few years with the cheaper sub prices during their holiday sales.

bitbydeath

There are reports making the rounds about them working on a new PS2 emulator, and I remember Grubb saying I think last year that they were also trying to make PS3 emulation work as well.

I could see all that work resulting in an expanded classics catalogue for the Premium tier over the next few years.

Still, it wouldn't seem like a good deal to me. Its better to just purchase the stuff that interests you on sales from the Store and keep it forever with the US$160 budget that the higher tier costs.
I’m all in for Warhawk PS3 BC, otherwise have very little interest in BC titles.

twilo99

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

They would have to bump it to GPU pricing if they did all of that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People are not crazy, if people like to play MP games then they are force to subscribe to PS Plus, which wasn't the case in PS3 era.

Thankfully I dont give a fuck about online play so I have no reason to subscribe to PS Plus.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
These companies don't just raise the prices blindly. They assume there is going to be some level of attrition, but not so much that they end up behind in revenue. That's why they raise the prices and they end up making more money. People whine, but that's because it's a service they like and they don't want to pay more for it - nobody ever wants to pay more money for anything. If they didn't value it, they would just cancel and move on.

Fabieter

Well there are key stores where you can get 120 euro psn for 106 euro and get another year before they price hike the shit out of the service.

consoul

What they are going to see is a massive increase in PS Plus subscriptions in the next few days.

That'll help their bottom line for this financial year and is undoubtedly one of the anticipated impacts of this announcement.

Barakov

Gold Member
Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

French Yes GIF by Groundhog Day

jonnyp

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

That's not happening.

It is a ridiculous increase tbh especially the essential one ,
They should release a super basic package where u dnt get any free games monthly but u can cloud save and play online games maybe for like 30 a year.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

This is where I'm at. I have essential till 2027 ($35/year CD keys) and I have bought many classics at $10 a pop. I don't wanna sub for them and just wanna own them. I will pay $20 for PS3 games if they get them running native

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Arrogant Sony
Not a thing.

Also, everyone is raising prices, not just Sony. Spotify just announced a price increase in Canada. Netflix raised theirs earlier in the summer. Microsoft fucked up raising theirs, but they'll get it right soon.

Not saying it's a good thing, but it's not a Sony specific thing. I don't know if you've noticed, but we're heading right for our 3rd economic crisis of the last 30 or something years. Things are going to get a lot shittier than increased PS+ prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom