• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Yearly Cost Soars by 600% in Turkey, Sparking Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hyde

Erdogan be like: "JIM RUAN!!!"

star trek spock GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
This article is pointless without context of the average income/average cost of similar things in the area.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Let me give an example from myself. My monthly pension is 9.000 TL. An average employee receives a salary of 11,000 TL. Make the benchmark now.
See that context helps a ton to put things in perspective! Why can't a professional journalist do that?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Let me give an example from myself. My monthly pension is 9.000 TL. An average employee receives a salary of 11,000 TL. Make the benchmark now.
To understand this; do you get a 9.000 TL pension payment monthly and the average employee (job position) gets a monthly salary of 11.000 TL?
Or am I reading this incorrectly?

Last edited:

Gamerasi

To understand this; do you get a 9.000 TL pension payment monthly and the average employee (job position) gets a monthly salary of 11.000 TL?
Or am I reading this incorrectly?
The lowest pension is 7500 TL. The highest pension is 23,000 TL. Minimum monthly employee wage is 11,000 TL. The lowest salary of a civil servant is 22.000 TL.
If you are doing a qualified job, you will receive an average salary of 30,000 TL.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The lowest pension is 7500 TL. The highest pension is 23,000 TL. Minimum monthly employee wage is 11,000 TL. The lowest salary of a civil servant is 22.000 TL.
If you are doing a qualified job, you will receive an average salary of 30,000 TL.
I just ask out of curiosity, I have heard of Pension plans in the states but those are mostly afforded to Government workers or industries with large infrastructure and then they only kick in at retirement age (this age can differ across industry but I think the average is 55 to 65).

Last edited:

Rob_27

Backlash inbound and Sony will backtrack in certain regions where everyone cancels and jumps to Xbox lol.

Gamerasi

I just ask out of curiosity, I have heard of Pension plans in the states but those are mostly afforded to Government workers or industries with large infrastructure and then they only kick in at retirement age (this age can differ across industry but I think the average is 55 to 65).
Currently, the retirement age for a young person starting a job is 65. Be it private sector or government institution. This applies to the whole country. I retired at the age of 50. This situation is a bit complicated, as a result of the violation of rights in the past and its correction.

roxya

FYI hotukdeals has basically been hotturkeydeals for all things PlayStation for at least 3 years now.

Digital first party games are often like £15-£20 on sale when they’re on sale for £30-£35 on the UK store. Same for subscriptions, dirt cheap.
Yep, they have a guide step by step on how to do it, what to do and what not to, all the different payment methods you can use. And the guide has over 10,000 comments. It's MASSIVELY abused in the UK.

Consider that a loophole closed for Russian gamers. Although gaming is a major luxury for most Russians, so those who do currently pay would perhaps just pay the increase?

JaksGhost

Draugoth

Gold Member
That's because they get abused by users outside of those countries. Last year when Steam updated their recommended pricing Turkey and Argentina got hit the worst because of said abuse.

There are other ways other than just increase prices.

They will just lose their money invested on said country services when everyone quits.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This article is pointless without context of the average income/average cost of similar things in the area.

Inflation is also incredibly high in Turkey.

Turkey_inflation_rate.webp

This is mainly due to the collapse in the value of the Turkish Lira. I'm surprised they weren't gradually increasing it this whole time instead of just dropping a huge increase at once.

Krieger

It ain't Sony's fault that the Turkish Lira is in absolute freefall and constantly losing any worth it had for the past 6 years.

Kupfer

Yes it's an absolute outrage that Turkish gamers can't get psplus for nine dollars per year any more 🤔
Old Turkish
240 TL from 144000 TL (assumed realistic annual income) = 0,167 %
Old German
60 € from 36000 (assumed realistic annual income) € = 0,17 %

New Turkish
1400 TL from 144000 TL (assumed realistic annual income) = 0,97 %
New German
72 € from 36000 € (assumed realistic annual income) = 0,2 %

Notice anything?

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Old Turkish
240 TL from 144000 TL (assumed realistic annual income) = 0,167 %
Old German
60 € from 36000 (assumed realistic annual income) € = 0,17 %

New Turkish
1400 TL from 144000 TL (assumed realistic annual income) = 0,97 %
New German
72 € from 36000 € (assumed realistic annual income) = 0,2 %

Notice anything?

You aren't telling me anything I don't know.

barslan

Neo Member
It will be off-topic, but since June 1, 2022, following Turkey's request, the United Nations changed the name of the country, which is used as "Turkey" in foreign languages, to "Türkiye".

As a Türk, I wanted to bring it to the attention of the forum users. :)

If we go back to our topic, for years, PSN fee was very cheap in Türkiye compared to Europe and USA.

Although inflation has been very high in Türkiye for the last 3 years, this has not been reflected in PSN prices until today.

Unfortunately, I think Sony has made such a decision because they get abused by buying Türk PSN account by users outside of Türkiye.

Fahdis

I think its about time companies started doing KYC and VPN checks to ban accounts that are misusing other regional stores.

Elysium44

Banned
It will be off-topic, but since June 1, 2022, following Turkey's request, the United Nations changed the name of the country, which is used as "Turkey" in foreign languages, to "Türkiye".

With respect, most people will ignore that, just like we don't call Germany 'Deutschland'. Erdogan can't tell the rest of the world what to use in their own language.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
ahahaha we have come to the part where PS fans throw fellow Turkish PS players under the bus to defend Sony :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Elysium44

Banned
ahahaha we have come to the part where PS fans throw fellow Turkish PS players under the bus to defend Sony :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If you were exporting a product to a poor country with a hyperinflating currency, would you accept being paid a pittance just because they are poor? You still have to provide the service and pay staff in your first world country, first world rates of pay to provide it.

Vblad88

I was quite surprised that only yearly variants went up, after all that fuzz. Nothing is changing for me, paying for premium 3 times throughout the year. Cloud saves? Using spare pendrive is too boomery to use novadays so you really have to pay for it or what?

The turkish lira has been massively devalued. The USDTRY rate went from 9:1 to 27:1 in the last two years alone and it gets worse the further you go back. Head over to tradingview and have a look for yourself. Everyone will blame Sony (or whomever is charging the price) and very few will understand what's really going on. Massive currency devaluation on a global scale.

For reference, the old rate for essential at 240TRY was equivalent to $9. The new rate of 1400 equates to $51 which is still cheaper than even my current rate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom