• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Best Games of 2020, So Far

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When it comes to new games, 2020 has been a great year for video games.

Here is a list of IGN's best reviewed video games of 2020.

Here's a brief overview of some of the best games featured:

Doom Eternal. This wouldn't be a best games list without the most recent Doom release from Bethesda.
Persona 5 Royal. The fifth game in the Persona series, Persona 5 really took the game to the next level and can be considered one of the best JRPGs ever made. While Persona 5 originally came out in 2016, P5 Royal added new friends and a more refined experience, which is why it made the list. The Last of Us Part 2. TLOU was one of the best games on the PS3 and The Last of Us 2 is a strong contender for being the best game on the PS4. Not only is The Last of Us Part 2 gameplay challenging, but TLOU2 also pushes the bounds of what we thought was possible with video game narratives. Resident Evil 3 Remake. Making this was a no brainer- especially after the success of the RE2 remake. Still, Capcom really hit it out of the park updating Resident Evil 3 for the 2020 audience. Animal Crossing New Horizons. This Nintendo Switch game has helped a lot of people cope with the stresses of being in the middle of a pandemic, and rightfully so. Animal Crossing is the perfectly polished stress-free reboot we needed of the classic Nintendo game. Desperados 3. The third entry into the Desperados franchise is a tough real-time tactical game with such beautifully detailed level design you can help but marvel at the beauty that is Desperados III. Valorant. Riot's You know this game is good. Based on all the videos that appear when you search "Valorant Montage," it has to be. Final Fantasy 7 Remake. FF7 was one of the original Playstation's best games, and the FF7 remake definitely lives up to the reputation of the original Final Fantasy 7.

Make sure to check out the video to hear about other great games like Half-Life: Alyx, Dreams, and Deep Rock Galactic.

Remember, this list isn't intended to be a "Best games 2020" or "Top 10" or "Top Games" list, instead it's a collection of new games that garnered the best reviews from IGN, so far in 2020

iorek21

"but TLOU2 also pushes the bounds of what we thought was possible with video game narratives."

TLOU2 has a lot of positives, but narrative is far from being one of them.

Or maybe they are trying to tell me that TLOU2's story is so fucking unbelievable that no one thought it was possible?

"but TLOU2 also pushes the bounds of what we thought was possible with video game narratives."

Or maybe they are trying to tell me that TLOU2's story is so fucking unbelievable that no one thought it was possible?
If you want to make the argument, the better phrasing is likely narrative presentation, which at least gives you legs. But I’m with you, the narrative has a litany of issues with both its plot and story.

Vaelka

People keep giving Naughty Dog so much praise but their games are really just video games + every Hollywood trope imaginable.
For some reason people are just in awe of it because it's in a video game instead of a movie. Even the opening to TLOU1 wasn't even that original or unique and have happened countless of times in movies before. That doesn't make it bad, I am just saying that people put it up on a pedestal and talk about it like it had never been done before.
If it had been a movie people wouldn't have praised it so much and that's what annoys me about it, a lot of the stuff you see in games would honestly probably be regarded as quite cheesy if it had been in a movie. Not to mention how much it drags, so much of it is just filler while in movies ( good ones at least ) it's more quality over quantity in terms of screen time.

It's the same with GoW reboot too, it didn't really take risks it played it extremely safe and just banked in on every current popular AAA trend and trope. The whole sad dad and parenting thing isn't an original story either not even in video games even tho people for some reason have short term memory it seems or act like GoW was their first game ever.
I get pretty tired of how overinflated the praise for these games is and how people take everything to 11 and have to collectively pretend like they're these revolutionary games that do things that have never been done before, it's so stupid.

The one thing I'll give Naughty Dog some praise for is that they knew that TLOU2 was going to be controversial and wasn't what people wanted, the marketing too made people expect something different than what it was too while they did hint on what it actually was.
It's just a bit stupid that they've acted so surprised by it after the game actually did come out when before that Neil in particular seem'd to actually be self-aware about it and said repeatedly that it was going to piss people off and be controversial.

Yoboman

Its the best narrative in a game :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

CitizenX

Banned
That is one depressing list. Shouldnt it be titled "Games we received for free from our friends so we can tell you to play them"?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Great year so far for me.

Xenoblade DE
Persona 5R
FF7R
RE3
Ghost
Sakura Wars

Coming up: New consoles and Cyberpunk

Top Bottom