• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Dead Space: How a Single Scene Was Created

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Learn how one of Dead Space remake's most horrifying sequences was created. As with every individual moment in every video game, the final result is the product of people working together. This IGN First video reveals how multiple people across several different departments combined their skills to construct this scene.

Kuranghi

The detached camera alters the tone of the game in a way I think makes it worse. One of the devs says something like "...and you could miss it in the original..." but thats a necessary potential problem to create the tone and make you feel the awful tension/fear they wanted you to feel, its better because you can walk around the room and look away - maybe to find a way out or something to help with the inevitable fight - but you can't stop the horrific event from happening, you are forced to wait for it to break through and then deal with it.

Now you just watch a video play out, with an awkward camera that makes it feel like a slack-jawed moron is watching something horrible happen, looking back and forth and saying nothing, not reacting. Its not great work imo, they tried to make it feel more dramatic by wrestling away the camera control but its so averagely done they made it much less so, partly because the picking up and hurling of the fire extinguisher look really weak.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here's how the Dead Space suit was designed. The creators of both Isaac Clarke's original and remake suits discuss how they established and refined the ribbed, industrial aesthetic that became a horror icon. Dead Space is December's IGN First! Check out our other exclusive videos covering the survival horror remake.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The detached camera alters the tone of the game in a way I think makes it worse. One of the devs says something like "...and you could miss it in the original..." but thats a necessary potential problem to create the tone and make you feel the awful tension/fear they wanted you to feel, its better because you can walk around the room and look away - maybe to find a way out or something to help with the inevitable fight - but you can't stop the horrific event from happening, you are forced to wait for it to break through and then deal with it.

Now you just watch a video play out, with an awkward camera that makes it feel like a slack-jawed moron is watching something horrible happen, looking back and forth and saying nothing, not reacting. Its not great work imo, they tried to make it feel more dramatic by wrestling away the camera control but its so averagely done they made it much less so, partly because the picking up and hurling of the fire extinguisher look really weak.
stop-whining-whine.gif

fatmarco

"we wanted to make it feel a lot more interactive" = removes all the interaction/ gameplay and replaces it with a cutscene.

Lol.

Banned

modern gamedesign like this is just a joke, scared to let the player have control because they want a themepark ride mixed with a movie, and not actually an interactive and gameplay driven experience.

it's also fucking laughable that the devs say they wanted the new version to be "more immersive" when taking away control and turning the sequence into basically a movie, makes it exactly the opposite of immersive... such a joke, and this is why I have zero respect for game designers that push this shit more and more.

honestly, after seeing this video my expectations for the game as a whole dropped by a lot. the devs should be ashamed for this presentation tbh. and this nonsense should be called out

Last edited:

Braag

It's a remake so it makes sense that it's not 1:1 exactly same as the original, I'll reserve judgement until I've played it, so far it has been intrigued though.
The good thing is that the original DS still exists and those who would prefer it can still play and enjoy it.

Kuranghi

I don't think it needed to be a 1:1 remake at all, but if you're going to change the tone and feeling of the game in the way they have then at least make it up to the same standard as the old game. They've done some great work I think, designing tech and systems to make it a step up over the original but then it's being let down at the final hurdle by the actual implementation of the systems.

It's just that way where I can't get into the game because I feel the game engine underneath it, like the camera work I mentioned above, you can feel the easy ease. If they say oh here's this new complex system we built to mirror real world sound and then it has something out of place it's more noticeable because they've told me focus on it.

I don't normally care that much when games are remade because the original exists, so if the tone or whatever is changed too much you can still play the original game but its so hard to play it looking decent these days: Xbox BC is locked to old resolution and 30fps, PC has 30fps cap you can't disable without using external v-sync or having no v-sync [lol], borked m&k support and the controller deadzones are horrible and need 3rd party tools to fix. Not sure about PS as I never played it there, maybe it's 60fps there but I have doubts.

The game is from before we had any sort of proper motion blur so 30fps really stands out and looks stuttery af on OLED or even fast panel LCDs so you need 60fps just to make it look good.

I'm sure it'll be a good game with sections arguably done better than the original, but the original is a fantastic game throughout... well except maybe parts of the run up to the ending, I think they ran out of time/money a bit.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think it needed to be a 1:1 remake at all, but if you're going to change the tone and feeling of the game in the way they have then at least make it up to the same standard as the old game. They've done some great work I think, designing tech and systems to make it a step up over the original but then it's being let down at the final hurdle by the actual implementation of the systems.

It's just that way where I can't get into the game because I feel the game engine underneath it, like the camera work I mentioned above, you can feel the easy ease. If they say oh here's this new complex system we built to mirror real world sound and then it has something out of place it's more noticeable because they've told me focus on it.

I don't normally care that much when games are remade because the original exists, so if the tone or whatever is changed too much you can still play the original game but its so hard to play it looking decent these days: Xbox BC is locked to old resolution and 30fps, PC has 30fps cap you can't disable without using external v-sync or having no v-sync [lol], borked m&k support and the controller deadzones are horrible and need 3rd party tools to fix. Not sure about PS as I never played it there, maybe it's 60fps there but I have doubts.

The game is from before we had any sort of proper motion blur so 30fps really stands out and looks stuttery af on OLED or even fast panel LCDs so you need 60fps just to make it look good.

I'm sure it'll be a good game with sections arguably done better than the original, but the original is a fantastic game throughout... well except maybe parts of the run up to the ending, I think they ran out of time/money a bit.
What I meant previously is that you're writing these 200 word essays based on what's essentially a 20 second scene. All that just to shit on all the talent and effort that went into creating something that's unique compared to the original. Whether it's for better or worse is arguable so even though you're entitled to your opinion, you can't objectively say that they're making it worse.

I think that this looks tight, and it feels more natural compared to Isaac just standing there in his default idle animation and not reacting to what's going on in front of him at all. Having full control is all fine and all, but you don't really lose anything of value in this particular instance because in the original scene, you couldn't perform any significant actions prior to the monster bursting through the glass anyway, and you were just locked into that tiny area with no way to interrupt anything until the scene played out.

K' Dash

It's a remake so it makes sense that it's not 1:1 exactly same as the original, I'll reserve judgement until I've played it, so far it has been intrigued though.
The good thing is that the original DS still exists and those who would prefer it can still play and enjoy it.

if they're going to start changing stuff, might as well go the Capcom route and do a re-imagining.

levyjl1988

Banned
EA fucked up the Dead Space remake. I ain’t buying this shit.
RE2 Remake is better than this trash EA is putting out.
This is not a game returning fans will want to return to.

Drizzlehell

Banned
EA fucked up the Dead Space remake. I ain’t buying this shit.
RE2 Remake is better than this trash EA is putting out.
This is not a game returning fans will want to return to.

Looks like they're basing the appearances on the new voice actors, in which case yikes for commenting on Kendra looking like Shrek, lol. The chick who will be playing that role now is actually a good looking woman in IRL so maybe that's just a bit of an unfortunate angle on that screenshot.

Either that or the character artists suck, which wouldn't surprise me because from what I've seen so far in the gameplays, the character and monster models were the most bootleg-looking thing about this remake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom