• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN First] Dragon's Dogma 2 Sphynx Encounter

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, that’s a lot of startup animation for those attacks. I hope it’s just that sword, cause that looked pretty sluggish.

Visuals and design look great, though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The Sphinx looks great. Kinda sucks I walked into this, but hopefully the rest of the game is good.

I mean, this will hopefully get more sales. I have to wonder if they’ve got any more tricks up their sleeve. Ya know, if they’re showing off the goods now.

Last edited:
Holy shit, this game is not going to be that good, is it? The visuals are cool, but man that clunkiness (and not the good kind of clunky).
It looks neat but as soon as the actual gameplay starts it's like I'm looking at a remastered PS3 game.
Wow, that’s a lot of startup animation for those attacks. I hope it’s just that sword, cause that looked pretty sluggish.
Before I watch the video, I'm going to make a guess and say that the player is using a greatsword.

Edit: Yep, it's always the greatsword lol.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We found the allmother of the Twilight Princess Oocca huh.
Oocca.png

Before I watch the video, I'm going to make a guess and say that the player is using a greatsword.
There's barely any combat gameplay shown, nothing meaningful at least, it just cuts in bits and pieces and all in horrible 1080p quality and it's mostly about the developer interview intersected, I have no clue how anyone can gauge gameplay clunk or even visual quality from this shit.

Combat is much like the first game, imbeciles who hope/wish for something different should just stfu and go play something that's not Dragon's Dogma (I say this as someone who wasn't even a huge fan of the original, this is still a sequel to that game and nobody claimed it's reinventing the core).

Last edited:
There's barely any combat gameplay shown, nothing meaningful at least, it just cuts in bits and pieces and all in horrible 1080p quality and it's mostly about the developer interview intersected, I have no clue how anyone can gauge gameplay clunk or even visual quality from this shit.
People acting like that sword is sluggish when Monster Hunter greatsword exists...lmao...People who don't like Monster Hunter and expect some DMC level of combat are in for a rude awakening with DD2. As for me,I couldn't be more excited for this game.Pump it straight in my veins!
There are always two types of greatsword fans. One type wants the greatsword to be swung at medium to fast speeds, like most anime i.e. Guts from Berserk, Dante/Nero from DMC, or Cloud from FF7R. The other type wants the greatsword to feel like a giant piece of heavy metal and if you mistime one swing, you get hit/punished like MH and Dark Souls games.

I can see why fans of option A would look at option B and think 'this gameplay looks extremely sluggish'.

ssringo

Yeah, that's a couple of basic ass Greatsword moves that's shown for all of 5 seconds. Looks just like the first game. You're not playing Guts so it takes a bit of effort to swing that big ass sword around.

I love that they're following in the footsteps of other great open world games. "We stuck some legit content out of the way and it's okay if you finish the game without seeing it."

Man I could’ve sworn there was a Sphinx battle in the first one already.
No, there was in the Online version though. However, that game never came to the West and Capcom treats it as a spin-off title since Hideaki Itsuno didn't work on it. The lead designer Kento was the one who directed the Online version, so they got a lot of ideas and enemies from that game to the sequel.

Markio128

I’m rooting for this game, but I fear that if it doesn’t have combat that is as intuitive as the souls games, it may not gain the same traction as something like Elden Ring. It does look a little clunky, and archaic, from what little gameplay that I’ve seen. But that might be because buffoons have been playing it in the previews.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m rooting for this game, but I fear that if it doesn’t have combat that is as intuitive as the souls games, it may not gain the same traction as something like Elden Ring. It does look a little clunky, and archaic, from what little gameplay that I’ve seen. But that might be because buffoons have been playing it in the previews.
Because this game is not trying be like Souls game......not every fucking game needs to be like Souls game......and this coming from a person who LOVES FROM games.

Aion002

This game is closer to Monster Hunter than Souls games.

You should try the original Dragon's Dogma (it's on ps plus and is also on sale right now on both playstation and xbox for less than 5 usd) or at least watch some gameplay of it.

If you don't like the original, you probably won't like the sequel. It’s class based and mechanically quite different from any Souls games.

As someone that loves the original Dragon's Dogma, the sequel looks amazing and I am happy that they didn't changed the battle system.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this game is such a breath of fresh air.

I really miss this type of games during ps3 era.

I prefer games like these than those "come on look at our next gen visuals with average gameplay" game.

Cant wait, day 1

Last edited:

Markio128

Because this game is not trying be like Souls game......not every fucking game needs to be like Souls game......and this coming from a person who LOVES FROM games.
I agree, and didn’t necessarily say it should play like a From game, but that it should have intuitive combat (for it to keep me engaged personally). It all seems a bit chaotic from what I’ve seen, though it may feel better if I get my hands on it. It was just a casual observation based on the footage.

It does remind me a bit of Monster Hunter, and I’ve never really been a fan of the gameplay in that series tbh. Massively popular though, so what the hell do I know?

Kumomeme

thats is not fear, but a misunderstandment. why fear over something that the game never intend to be?

like i said on other thread, it is opposite of Souls game. delete that thought in mind or you wont enjoy it since you expect it to play like something else. its like you fear Horizon Zero Dawn wont have combat like Ghost Tsushima or Nier Automata. there is more than one way of combat work in videogames. if souls game is about player stressing why cant take down the enemy, this game is about enjoying the moment in longer fight.

those flashy skill, climbing mechanic, pawn and other environment interaction is for to make long fight fun. it is about creating memorable moment to moment combat experience. not to make it ended quickly or efficient. thats why this game is not punish their player hard for mistake unlike Souls. its never asked player to play like some competitive play but it want player to fight like some fun adventure fantasy scene. just imagine in film where a party and main character fight against monster with awesome cool moment. they not gonna take down those monster too fast. they also would struggle abit. those scene wont ended quickly. but the whole fight gonna be fun to watch and follow despite whatever plot armour it could has. this is what the devs team aim with the combat system. they want to recreate that moment for player to experience.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I agree, and didn’t necessarily say it should play like a From game, but that it should have intuitive combat (for it to keep me engaged personally). It all seems a bit chaotic from what I’ve seen, though it may feel better if I get my hands on it. It was just a casual observation based on the footage.

It does remind me a bit of Monster Hunter, and I’ve never really been a fan of the gameplay in that series tbh. Massively popular though, so what the hell do I know?
for those who never play the game, it is indeed seems chaotic since you dont know what happened that time and what you can control.

there lot of variable of what happened during fight that not just revolve around your controlled character. it is depend on your party composition, the pawn A.I behaviour set up and their knowledge over the monster. from this demo we havent see anything yet. but if you play DD1, you know what i mean. it can be chaotic, or not. but those who play know whats going on.

Last edited:
well, as much as i loved, & as often as i've replayed dragon's dogma, these trailers continue to do little to get me interested. it just all looks so damn familiar, which's obviously not surprising, i guess, but which just doesn't get me all that excited about exploring the 'new' world. maybe one game was enough for me? it's happened before. anyway, hoping for the best...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Souls combat is stiff and requires overcommitment on every action you make and plays out more like SNK Boss Syndrome where one wrong move means you are probably dead. I'd rather games take note from Blade of Darkness when it comes to medieval combat. If Dragon's Dogma 2 should take notes from anywhere it's from Dragon's Dogma 1 and Dragon's Dogma Online and perfect what they already have instead of trying to be something that it's not. Which isn't a Dark Souls game.

While I don't think it'll happen I hope some advanced physics is present in the engine. Like actual decapitation in response to the weapons you wield and where your weapons strike the enemy. Alongside any magical effects enfeebling the player character but also enemies as well ranging from petrification, being set on fire, frozen, eletrocution and what have you. Some forms of cutting off monster parts were present in Dogma but it was generally scripted and depended on a few factors mainly damage on a specific part of a monster's body and had little to do with weapon physics.

Top Bottom